PDA

View Full Version : More Bad News For Villanova

HailSzczur
September 12th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Just learned today that WR Joe Price and QB Dustin Thomas are most likely out for the season after getting hurt in the Towson game Saturday.

Redshirt Freshmen QB Thomas separated his shoulder and is expected to miss a least 6-8 weeks. #2 on the depth chart is true freshmen Chris Polony, but in last weeks game Talley opted for walk on senior Christian Culicerto to preserve Polony's ability to redshirt. Culicerto spent all of last season as Chris Whitney's back up only seeing garbage minutes. Culicerto was competent on Saturday, leading the Cats to 10 points and throwing for 1 TD in relief. Nova also has true freshmen John Robertson, who saw action against Temple in the Wildcat formation. As of right now Talley has pulled the redshirt off Polony and hes the projected started for the Home Opener against Monmouth.

Sophomore WR Joe Price suffered a concussion, 2 broken ribs, a collapsed lung, and a sprained ankle. Price joins #1 receiver Norman White on the sidelines, as the previously sound receiving core is reduced to Dorian Wells and undersized, Wes Welker-esque, slot receiver Mikey Reynolds.

Combine that with the preseason loss of OL Chidozie Ekweozor, the Nova offense keeps getting younger and losing depth fast. This has the makings for a long year.

Wildcat80
September 12th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Wow guess Towson was hitting!

VBR_Productions
September 12th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Wow guess Towson was hitting!

There were four hits by the defense that had the crowd oooohing and aaaahing. This team was jacked. Villanova had real talent but they haven't played as a unit enough yet to have overcome that Towson team. It's a shame about Thomas - he looked really good before leaving in the third. He'll be a great QB by his senior season.

R3TRO
September 12th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Sophomore WR Joe Price suffered a concussion, 2 broken ribs, a collapsed lung, and a sprained ankle. Price joins #1 receiver Norman White on the sidelines, as the previously sound receiving core is reduced to Dorian Wells and undersized, Wes Welker-esque, slot receiver Mikey Reynolds.

Holy crap! People walk away from car accidents with lesser injuries. Did he get hit by a truck?

HailSzczur
September 12th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Holy crap! People walk away from car accidents with lesser injuries. Did he get hit by a truck?

I was thinking the same thing. I didn't watch the game, because I wasn't about to pay Towson $12 or whatever it was to get the live feed, but thats quite the laundry list of injuries. They said he spent the night in the hospital.

andy7171
September 12th, 2011, 01:07 PM

Pretty sure it was the hit that ends this video recap, it's a doozy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-hABLz3tRo&

HailSzczur
September 12th, 2011, 01:12 PM

Nah, 3 is Dorian Wells, Price is 81. But damn I'm amazed he got up from that.

From the looks of it 2:23 might be where the Thomas separated his shoulder though.

bluehenbillk
September 12th, 2011, 01:15 PM
OK, could the unthinkable happen this weekend - Monmouth beats Villanova?? Lose that and could 0-11 stare the Wildcats in the face? Man, Talley must've crapped the bed with recruiting a few years ago, where are all the juniors & seniors?

Side Judge
September 12th, 2011, 01:23 PM
There were four hits by the defense that had the crowd oooohing and aaaahing. This team was jacked. Villanova had real talent but they haven't played as a unit enough yet to have overcome that Towson team. It's a shame about Thomas - he looked really good before leaving in the third. He'll be a great QB by his senior season.

Never thought I'd ever read a line like that. Congrats to Towson, and get well soon Nova...

VUCats02
September 12th, 2011, 08:26 PM
OK, could the unthinkable happen this weekend - Monmouth beats Villanova?? Lose that and could 0-11 stare the Wildcats in the face? Man, Talley must've crapped the bed with recruiting a few years ago, where are all the juniors & seniors?

I'm not sure you understand how college football recruiting works? Nova had very few schollies a few years ago, hence, they have very few juniors and seniors right now. It's not rocket science, and it's certainly not bad recruiting. With only around 60 scholarships, and a school that does not have a lot of walk ons, it's not that shocking to have unbalanced teams in terms of class years because of this.

GannonFan
September 12th, 2011, 09:18 PM
I'm not sure you understand how college football recruiting works? Nova had very few schollies a few years ago, hence, they have very few juniors and seniors right now. It's not rocket science, and it's certainly not bad recruiting. With only around 60 scholarships, and a school that does not have a lot of walk ons, it's not that shocking to have unbalanced teams in terms of class years because of this.

When you make tuition cost well above $50k a year, you pretty much close yourselves off to walk-ons - kinda like a self inflicted wound. Still kinda a gamble to take - being so unbalanced scholly-wise means that you put all of your eggs in the basket every 4 years. Sure it paid off with the Whitney/Szcur class, but nova went 5 years in a row without a playoff appearance before they came along. Could it be that long again before another playoff appearance, and could an 0-11 season be out there this year? Like I said, it's a gamble recruiting that way.

VUCats02
September 12th, 2011, 10:35 PM
When you make tuition cost well above $50k a year, you pretty much close yourselves off to walk-ons - kinda like a self inflicted wound. Still kinda a gamble to take - being so unbalanced scholly-wise means that you put all of your eggs in the basket every 4 years. Sure it paid off with the Whitney/Szcur class, but nova went 5 years in a row without a playoff appearance before they came along. Could it be that long again before another playoff appearance, and could an 0-11 season be out there this year? Like I said, it's a gamble recruiting that way.

I'm perfectly fine with Nova having 3-4 average seasons, 1-2 great seasons, and 2-3 bad seasons in a decade. If I was a Penn St football fan, that would be unacceptable, but as a sports fan, you can't expect all your teams to always be great.

Go...gate
September 12th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Nova is not going 0-11. Not a chance in the world.

Grizzaholic
September 12th, 2011, 11:28 PM

Andy, or...who else is the Towson contingent of AGS?... Was the place packed? How many showed for the game? The way the youtube clip sounded it seemed like a pretty good showing by fans/alum/parents.

andy7171
September 13th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Andy, or...who else is the Towson contingent of AGS?... Was the place packed? How many showed for the game? The way the youtube clip sounded it seemed like a pretty good showing by fans/alum/parents.

eTiger is the only other Towson fan that I see semi-regularly on AGS and CS.
7,659, which is pretty big for Towson. The opener against Morgan State was #2 all time at @9800. There is talk of putting up endzone bleachers for spill over students. The school doesn't want the student on the home side of the field where the parents and families are sitting. Not sure I understand that, but the students are all about being loud and roudy.
Meh, at least they are coming into the game now instead of just partying in the parking lot.