PDA

View Full Version : South Dakota... what to do with the Coyotes?

Pard4Life
September 12th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Huge upset for USD this weekend... but what about their long term prospects?

I have them debuting at #19 in my poll, but they play cupcakes, an FBS team, and S. Utah and CP as their only two major opponents.

I know nothing about the team, but are they good enough to run the table (except Wisconsin) and finish in the top ten?

sikolec
September 12th, 2011, 10:18 AM
South Dakota is on the rise. Last year they upset Minnesota. This year they get the best of Eastern Washington. They definately make my poll this week. Just need to figure out how high...

THE HERD
September 12th, 2011, 10:34 AM
They are up and down, they beat Minnesota last year and then a week or two later NDSU beat them pretty bad although they did hang in tough for the first half. They have definitely had more success than their transitioning partner UND, as far as big wins go. I think they are about the same overall record though. No smack intended.

Dane96
September 12th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Pard- I had them just about the same...a bit lower if memory serves. Definitely a...hmmmm...are they this good or the opponents that weak/average.

That said, I think Southern Utah also fits this bill...and I moved them into the poll this week.

goyotes
September 12th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Really won't know much until after the Southern Utah game on Oct 8. 3 games prior to that are an NW Oklahoma (NAIA), Wisconsin (hopefully plenty of beer available at Camp Randall) & Lindenwood (transitioning to D2 & did beat Northern Colorado in week 1). Last year of transition for the Yotes and with move to MVFC next year & only 5 teams in Great West was extremely hard to get a decent schedule this year.

Another question for the pollsters - what to do with the Eagles. Will obviously know more about them after their game against the Griz this week. Overall, I was not impressed with EWU, but hard to tell how much, if any, was due to them overlooking the Yotes. I can't see EWU having top 10 type of success this year unless they develop a running game.

joeybrownerhof
September 12th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I am a USD alum, so fwiw, and attended the USD v. ewu game on Saturday. If I had a vote I would put them in at the low 20 to receiving votes range. Like goyotes stated until the SUU game I will withhold any higher expectations. If they play consistent football they should be able to win most if not all of their remaining games (save for Wiscy). USD (sorry San Diego fans) had lamar on their schedule and lamar bailed last minute to practice their javelin toss. USD filled that game with a lower tier team. The rest of their out of conference schedule outside of FBS games (2) and EWU is pretty weak (Lindenwood a transition team did beat No. Colorado but who hasn't). I was impressed with USD against EWU but want to see them against the Great West teams before rating them higher.

Pard4Life
September 12th, 2011, 11:12 AM
EWU should be a top ten team... as in nine or ten. They had a very close loss to Washington... but agreed Montana will be the true test for this team.

PantherRob82
September 12th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Not too many teams have a better resume than USD right now.

Will be interesting to see how EWU responds. Was this a let down after UW? Were they looking ahead to Montana?

goyotes
September 12th, 2011, 11:28 AM
I am a USD alum, so fwiw, and attended the USD v. ewu game on Saturday. If I had a vote I would put them in at the low 20 to receiving votes range. Like goyotes stated until the SUU game I will withhold any higher expectations. If they play consistent football they should be able to win most if not all of their remaining games (save for Wiscy). USD (sorry San Diego fans) had lamar on their schedule and lamar bailed last minute to practice their javelin toss. USD filled that game with a lower tier team. The rest of their out of conference schedule outside of FBS games (2) and EWU is pretty weak (Lindenwood a transition team did beat No. Colorado but who hasn't). I was impressed with USD against EWU but want to see them against the Great West teams before rating them higher.

I had forgot about the boys from Lambda, Lambda, Lambda. I believe they have to pay us $150,000 for the buyout of the last end of our home & home arrangement.

BlueGoldAg
September 12th, 2011, 11:49 AM
The Yotes win over EWU was the shocker of the week for me. I put them at #23 in my poll this week but, as everyone is saying, we'll know a lot more after they begin playing the Big West teams. How much of EWU's loss can be attributed to overlooking the Yotes is an unknown. My guess is that the Yotes just had a very good game and EWU found out that the Yotes' Dome is a very tough place to play for anyone. Fact is, all the Domes of the Dakota teams are tough places for opponents when they fill their houses with rabid fans. For now, I'm keeping the defending champs in the Top 10 at #8 and will see how they fare against the Griz.

bisonwest
September 12th, 2011, 12:17 PM
I don't understand how EWU was ranked #1 to start the season after loosing such a big part of their offense from a year ago. I see the Yotes as a #20-25 team. I agree with THE HERD that (last year) USD seemed like kind of an up and down team, but they looked very good Saturday. They have some really good athletes on the offensive side, and they play physical. They will fit right in the MVFC next season. As for EWU, I think they will fall to around #10 considering were they started but legitimately should be #15-20.

BlueGoldAg
September 12th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I don't understand how EWU was ranked #1 to start the season after loosing such a big part of their offense from a year ago. I see the Yotes as a #20-25 team. I agree with THE HERD that (last year) USD seemed like kind of an up and down team, but they looked very good Saturday. They have some really good athletes on the offensive side, and they play physical. They will fit right in the MVFC next season. As for EWU, I think they will fall to around #10 considering were they started but legitimately should be #15-20.

For me, the defending FCS championship team deserves to be #1 in the pre-season poll each year even if we know they have lost a lot of talent to graduation. I think they have earned that recognition and respect. In the case of EWU, they hung tough with Washington and, even though they lost, I felt their performance was impressive enough to keep them at #1 after the first week. Until the defending champs each year, regardless of who they are, give me a reason to drop them from the top spot, as happened this week with EWU's loss at South Dakota, I'll keep them there. I think being the defending champs earns them that level of respect.

MplsBison
September 12th, 2011, 01:19 PM
The loss to USD says more bad about EWU than it says good about USD, in my opinion.

You can't take the win away from USD - but you should definitely moderate your praise. EWU was obviously very bummed about just missing the big dogs in their state and then having to travel across the country to play a transitional DI team. It's human nature - you can't totally avoid let downs.

darell1976
September 12th, 2011, 04:04 PM
The Coyotes haven't had too much success in football throughout their history. They are usually up and down, up and down. They did have their National title run in 1986 only to lose to NDSU in the title game, but since then they always took a backseat to the other 3 Dakota schools. During the transition it seemed like UND and USD were neck and neck and taking their time to show improvement, but lately USD is leaving UND in the dust. Last year the Coyotes beat Minnesota, and crushed us in the Dakotadome (which doesn't happen often!). Now USD beat #1 Eastern Washington. This team is on the up and us Sioux fans are starting to be very jealous on your sucess. keep up the good work in Vermillion, and it is sad that this is going to be the last UND-USD game at least for awhile as the 2 teams leave the Great West for better conferences.

clenz
September 12th, 2011, 04:10 PM
I can't/won't put too much into this game as USD has a big win every year....but finishes at or below .500

darell1976
September 12th, 2011, 04:44 PM
They are up and down, they beat Minnesota last year and then a week or two later NDSU beat them pretty bad although they did hang in tough for the first half. They have definitely had more success than their transitioning partner UND, as far as big wins go. I think they are about the same overall record though. No smack intended.

USD Big wins--Minnesota, Eastern Washington(2010) UND--Cal Poly(2009) FCS wins: USD 8-16 UND 10-13 Head to head: UND leads 2-1 We are too similar but USD is heading in the right direction in the carpool lane while we are stuck in traffic.