PDA

View Full Version : SFA vs UNI highlights

TheRevSFA
September 12th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Nice win by UNI

http://sfajacks.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/091011aab.html

Professor Chaos
September 12th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Rennie is a very dangerous weapon for UNI but it sure looks like he takes his fair share of hits each game. I know he was banged up towards the end of last year and you have to wonder if that's going to be a recurring theme again for him this year. He didn't exactly spring up after either of his TD runs. He looked almost lethargic like a guy who's either hurting or just plain exhausted.

UNI Pike
September 12th, 2011, 12:58 PM
The starting RB Carlos Anderson went out after the second play - ankle sprain or high ankle sprain are the rumors floating around. That changed the nature of the run attack. I am sure that he was tired. SFA's defense is good defense.

Best comparison I can give to him is a Armanti Edwards, but not as an accurate passer. Receivers dropped some balls, and SFA defenders broke up passers, but most of this is on Rennie. I was unable to watch the SFA game, but during the Iowa State game, 1st half he was consistently throwing high.

UNI has a bye week this week, so hopefully Rennie will have some time to adjust, and Carlos some time to heal.

Professor Chaos
September 12th, 2011, 01:10 PM
The starting RB Carlos Anderson went out after the second play - ankle sprain or high ankle sprain are the rumors floating around. That changed the nature of the run attack. I am sure that he was tired. SFA's defense is good defense.

Best comparison I can give to him is a Armanti Edwards, but not as an accurate passer. Receivers dropped some balls, and SFA defenders broke up passers, but most of this is on Rennie. I was unable to watch the SFA game, but during the Iowa State game, 1st half he was consistently throwing high.

UNI has a bye week this week, so hopefully Rennie will have some time to adjust, and Carlos some time to heal.
I agree, I think Rennie has a better arm than he gets credit for just because he's so good running the ball. The problem with running QBs is the fact that they have to absorb a lot more hits than a traditional QB and they don't get time to rest. RBs can sit for a play or two after taking a big hit or making an exhausting run but QB is too important of a position to mess with the flow of the offense by bringing in the backup after the starter is winded. I think it'll be tough for Rennie to maintain this level of play for the whole year if he continues to tuck it and run 20 times per game. I'm sure losing the starting tailback was a factor against SFA and they've played two big physical teams so far but it won't get much easier the rest of the way.

UNI Pike
September 12th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Just wanted to say that Rennie's throwing, in a limited viewing so far, has markedly improved from last year. A good part of this is understanding the playbook. Still, no one will ever mistake him for Kurt Warner.

unigriff
September 12th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Rennie is actually more compared from what I have heard to Cam Newton. They played against each other in JC and from different reports Rennie was actually a higher touted player at times. Not so many BCS doors were open for Rennie tho. All of us Panther lovers are skeptical of his passing abilities but I also think it is because we were spoiled with Eric Sanders throwing nearly 70% efficiently for his career. Last year, Rennie, while if you look at the stats was not a juggernaut or too impressive...his efficiency was still pretty darn good, even among FCS.
What we do know...he is a 3rd down killer for other teams and his passing and zone/read looks has greatly improved. I still think he runs too much during the game, but when you are good at something and it aint broke, don't fix it too much.
First home game on the 24th...should be a great crowd and game!

UNI Pike
September 12th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Rennie is much closer the AE than Cam physically. That was the reason for the original comparison.

Tirrell Rennie 6' 0" 200 # (6' is a bit of a stretch)
Armanti Edwards 5' 11" 180 #
Cam Newton 6' 5" 240 #