PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Southern Conference Power Rankings and Predictions - Week 3.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 11th, 2011, 06:59 AM
I was a perfect 8-8 (15-1 this season) this past week and had Wofford won, I would not mind blowing the Clemson pick. After much thought, here are my rankings:

1) Georgia Southern - Tusculum finds out it was not Western Carolina they were facing the hard way.
2) Wofford - Impressive effort vs. Clemson, very hard not to place them in the top spot.
3) Chattanooga - Probably their first win vs. ranked FCS opponent in some time, hard to place them any higher.
4) Appalachian State - successfully inducts the Aggies of A&T into the Kidd Brewer Hall of Pain.
5) Furman - comes away from Charleston with some level of redemption.
6) The Citadel - had nothing to be ashamed of vs. Furman
7) Elon - So you beat Concord? That don't impress me much.
8) Western Carolina - see Elon (insert Mars Hill)
9) Samford - see Elon (insert Stillman)

Predictions
Savannah State @ Appalachian State (Beatdown of the week) - Mountaineers complete their non-conference schedule by inducting the Tigers into the Kidd Brewer Hall of Pain.
Elon @ N. C. Central - Phoenix takes a step up in competition and takes down NCCU.
Chattanooga @ Eastern Kentucky (Game of the week) - Mocs rising up and peaking at the right time ahead of next week's showdown at Kidd Brewer.

I don't see much changes in the rankings after this week. After week 4 will be interesting to see.

OL FU
September 11th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Aren't a lot of games are there.

ASU
Elon
Chattanooga.

I think clearly there are four teams at the top with GSU and WC seeming to be the better of the four. So I agree with your rankings but would probably flip GSU and WC although I am not sure there is a huge difference. At this point I would put Chattanooga above ASU also. but it is really too soon to know.

Bottom Group hard to tell. You can flip them anyway you want to. Furman threw the ball less than the Citadel ( of course most of the Citadel passing came at the end after the game had been decided). The most vanilla I have seen an FU offense in a long long time. I know one of the plans was to run the ball and keep the defense off the field. So I guess as long as it is working why change even with a small lead.

I think the only thing you can say regarding the bottom five based on the season is that Furman is better than the Citadel. The rest are unknowns. If you base it somewhat on history and inparticular last year, Elon and Furman are battling for 5th place.

Reign of Terrier
September 11th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I think Wofford, GSU, and Furman dominate open week university. Samford, Western, and El Cid will struggle though.

In seriousness though, if the defense that played last year shows up this year, which I'm sure will happen soon enough as we consistently play competition that is on our level and we view it as such, I would put us at number. Our offense seems to be a lot better. Mitch Allen has improved from being an adequate option QB to a good or very good one and he may continue to improve as the year goes. We are just as deep as GSU this year IMO if not deeper. If we play it week by week and don't get hit by the injury bug we'll be top 5 team or better

overall I think it's hard to evaluate the conference just yet as no one besides Chatty and maybe GSU has anything resembling a quality win, and really after this week we still won't be able to. I can only go by my homerism and what I see on the field

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 11th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Very commendable job by Wofford, but for now GSU is still number 1. We've looked unstoppable so far in the second half with the only real points being scored in garbage time. GSU's holding Samford to 17 points will look better as the season goes on also.

Wofford is #2, period. Wish they could have turned those last two field goals into TDs. Presby seems to be a decent offensive team so I guess I can't hold that one too much against them.

#3 is either App. or Chatty. That Virginia Tech loss for App. still looks very ugly (come on, they almost lost to East Carolina), but at least App. beat a lower-tier MEAC team like a good FCS team should. Chatty beat Jax State and proved they are a top-25 but IMO Chatty fans shouldn't think too much about trying to keep Thanksgiving weekend open.

Not sure what to think of Furman and El Cid.

As for the games
Savannah State's extremely long DI losing streak continues, obviously. 59-10 Apps
Elon over NC Central 31-10
Chatty shouldn't have too much trouble with EKU..35-17 or something like that.
6 teams taking the week off (really?)

Mountaineer#96
September 11th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Let down alert should be Chatty traveling to EKU....

EKU has played well so far and Chatty will be high on themselves coming out of a great win against Jacksonville State, as most who follow football well know it is when you dwell on the game you already played or are looking forward that you have a let down. This is a perfect scenario for this, playing on the road against a decent OVC team in EKU, big win at home last week (JSU), and a big match up away at App State next week.

Look at what EKU has done so far.....nice moral victory against FBS Kansas State

1. Lost to Kansas State 10 - 7
2. Beat Missouri State 28 - 24

boonegoon
September 11th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Very commendable job by Wofford, but for now GSU is still number 1. We've looked unstoppable so far in the second half with the only real points being scored in garbage time. GSU's holding Samford to 17 points will look better as the season goes on also.

Wofford is #2, period. Wish they could have turned those last two field goals into TDs. Presby seems to be a decent offensive team so I guess I can't hold that one too much against them.

#3 is either App. or Chatty. That Virginia Tech loss for App. still looks very ugly (come on, they almost lost to East Carolina), but at least App. beat a lower-tier MEAC team like a good FCS team should. Chatty beat Jax State and proved they are a top-25 but IMO Chatty fans shouldn't think too much about trying to keep Thanksgiving weekend open.

Not sure what to think of Furman and El Cid.

As for the games
Savannah State's extremely long DI losing streak continues, obviously. 59-10 Apps
Elon over NC Central 31-10
Chatty shouldn't have too much trouble with EKU..35-17 or something like that.

Not saying you are incorrect but I'm not sure you will be able to hold the Va Tech game against ASU for long. They absolutely dominated ECU in every aspect of the game except the scoreboard. ( I know that's the only one that counts).

chattownmocs
September 11th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Georgia Southern 24 Tusculum 14. Once again Southern runs up the score and everyone buys it. 2nd half performances are impressive when the opponent is half way. Otherwise you should knock them out in the first half. Obviously Georgia Southern has to falsely inflate their performance by running up the score in the 2nd half.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 11th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Georgia Southern 24 Tusculum 14. Once again Southern runs up the score and everyone buys it. 2nd half performances are impressive when the opponent is half way. Otherwise you should knock them out in the first half. Obviously Georgia Southern has to falsely inflate their performance by running up the score in the 2nd half.

You are wrong, chattymock. GSU took the first string out of the game with about 5:00 left in the third. The score was 45-21 (24 point lead is sooner than many coaches would let off the gas pedal) when the starters came out. GSU's second and third string offense scored the other 17 points, which means they scored almost as many points in the last 20 minutes of game clock as the first string did in the first half.

As for Samford, Monken pulled the starters early in the fourth when it was 31-10. It was 7-7 at half time. Samford scored the last TD in garbage time.

GSU hardly runs up the score and in fact starts subbing sooner than most coaches would.

Smitty
September 11th, 2011, 10:28 AM

I think this was part of that schedule screw up that caused 6 teams to be off this week.

ekufbfan
September 11th, 2011, 10:29 AM
EKU-Chatty
We are well aware of the task ahead. Last night our DB's did not have a good game, I think they are better than they showed against MSU (they better be). Offensively we were better than the game against Kansas State but was very disappointed that we lead 14-0 just before half and had a chance inside the red zone to make it 21-0 and botched it. Then MSU was back in the game second half with some big plays. The good news in all this is that we got a W, not pretty, and we will have to play much better on both side of the ball next week. Was good to have Pryor back and also a running game (that had disappeared under the departed OC).

ElonPride
September 11th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I was a perfect 8-8

Wow. It really wasn't that hard to pick the winners this week.

"That don't impress me much."

blueballs
September 11th, 2011, 12:20 PM

October 8 can't get here soon enough.

Mountaineer
September 11th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Aren't a lot of games are there.

ASU
Elon
Chattanooga.

Ho hum. ;)

App can get win 550 next Saturday. A nice compliment to Jerry's 200 yesterday.

GunsAndGuitars
September 11th, 2011, 06:49 PM
October 8 can't get here soon enough.

Don't worry, you can watch what happens in 13 days as well. If in fact, earlier statements that the second string scored 17 points, I'm not calling that a "running up the score." Especially at QB, it's a good idea to let the second guy in line get some playing time. You never know what could happen once you get into the season.

chattownmocs
September 11th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Don't worry, you can watch what happens in 13 days as well. If in fact, earlier statements that the second string scored 17 points, I'm not calling that a "running up the score." Especially at QB, it's a good idea to let the second guy in line get some playing time. You never know what could happen once you get into the season.

What do you think is going to happen in 13 days?

fc97
September 11th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Consistent logic and opinion used uniformly?

1) Georgia Southern - Undefeated
2) Chattanooga - Beat a ranked FCS and lost to a good FBS.
3) Wofford - Good against Clemson, won against Presby
4) Furman - Hard fought against the Citadel even though they lost to Coastal
5) The Citadel - 1-1 in FCS games
6) Appalachian State - beaten badly in FBS land and then beat an A&T team with 25 scholarships players on the field.
7) Elon - Ok against Vandy and ok against Concord
8) Western Carolina - FBS loss and D-II win
9) Samford - Loss to FCS and win against D-II

Teams 6-9 have proved nothing about how good or bad they are.

The bad, we lost our Quarterback.

Milktruck74
September 11th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Savannah State @ Appalachian State 54-12. Mountaineers fend off Savannah States attempt to avenge last weeks drubbing of their HBCU brothers.
Elon @ N. C. Central 28-7. Phoenix take an early lead and don't look back, NCCU scores a TD in trash time to avoid the shut out.
Chattanooga @ Eastern Kentucky 41-24 - Mocs come strong to show that they belong in the top 10 conversation.

Gringer1
September 11th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Savannah State @ Appalachian State 34-12. Mountaineers fend off Savannah States attempt to avenge last weeks drubbing of their HBCU brothers.

A lot of people don't seem to realize how bad Savannah State is. They are TERRIBLE. Even if you're talking smack at App, saying the score will be with 4 touchdowns is silly.

Milktruck74
September 11th, 2011, 08:33 PM
A lot of people don't seem to realize how bad Savannah State is. They are TERRIBLE. Even if you're talking smack at App, saying the score will be with 4 touchdowns is silly.

Sorry, I edited my post after I saw my fat and gnarled fingers only allowed the Boys from Boone only 34....Corrected 54... in a classy move, Jerry keeps the boys from Hanging 100 on Sav ST...

Milktruck74
September 11th, 2011, 08:37 PM
SE LA hung 63 on Savannah State, so I think (left unchecked) ASU could lead by 50 at the Break. I've got a feeling there are going to be a bunch of practice squad guys seeing alot of time in this one.

Gringer1
September 11th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Sorry, I edited my post after I saw my fat and gnarled fingers only allowed the Boys from Boone only 34....Corrected 54... in a classy move, Jerry keeps the boys from Hanging 100 on Sav ST...

That's better. But there are a lot of people who don't realize how terrible SSU is. It is like one of those Ripley's things that you have to see to believe and even then you don't know if it was real.

Apphole
September 11th, 2011, 09:16 PM

6) Appalachian State - beaten badly in FBS land and then beat an A&T team with 25 scholarships players on the field.

Worst order I've seen yet.

The Cats
September 11th, 2011, 10:05 PM
1) Georgia Southern
2) Appalachian State
3) Wofford
4) Chattanooga
5) Furman
6) Western Carolina
7) Elon
8) Samford
9) The Citadel

Predictions
Savannah State @ Appalachian State
Elon @ N. C. Central
Chattanooga @ Eastern Kentucky

GaSouthern
September 11th, 2011, 10:39 PM
1 GSU
1 Wofford
1 Chatty
1 Appy
5 Furman
6 citadel
6 Elon
6 Samford
9 Western Carolina

GunsAndGuitars
September 12th, 2011, 07:31 AM
1 GSU
1 Wofford
1 Chatty
1 Appy
5 Furman
5.5 Elon
6 citadel
6 Samford
9 Western Carolina

Edit is in bold. I'm not willing to put Elon on the same level as Furple this week, but I'm not willing to leave them with Samford yet.

asumike83
September 12th, 2011, 08:31 AM
1) Georgia Southern
2) Wofford
3) Chattanooga
4) Appalachian State
5) Furman
6) The Citadel
7) Elon
8) Samford
9) Western Carolina

asumike83
September 12th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Not saying you are incorrect but I'm not sure you will be able to hold the Va Tech game against ASU for long. They absolutely dominated ECU in every aspect of the game except the scoreboard. ( I know that's the only one that counts).

Yeah, I was surprised at their inability to punch it into the end zone against ECU. When you hold a team to -15 rushing yards and 112 total yards of offense, you should win by much more than 7. Those 50K Pirate fans may have had something to do with it.

fc97
September 12th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Worst order I've seen yet.

Is it a power poll based on this year's performance or history? I am confused. If it is this season only, then ASU's performance and scheduling should hurt their power poll placement and Chattanooga, Furman and Citadel should be up. If it is based on recent history too, then Elon and Samford should be up more.

biggie
September 12th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Is it a power poll based on this year's performance or history? I am confused. If it is this season only, then ASU's performance and scheduling should hurt their power poll placement and Chattanooga, Furman and Citadel should be up. If it is based on recent history too, then Elon and Samford should be up more.
Nothing so far this year would make many put Furman or El Cit in front of App though, except hatred.

For this week:
Savannah State @ Appalachian State - Should be easy
Elon @ N. C. Central - Again, easy
Chattanooga @ Eastern Kentucky - Doubt there will be much of a contest here either

SpeedkingATL
September 12th, 2011, 09:26 AM
1) Georgia Southern- One win against a decent Samford team and one expected beatdown.
1) Chattanooga - Great win against ranked FCS and an expected big loss to a semi-elite BCS team.
1) Wofford -An excellent moral victory against Clemson but a poor performance against a weak PC team.
4) Appalachian State - Lousy performance against semi-elite BCS and meaningless beatdown of hapless FCS.
5) Elon - Decent performance against decent BCS and beatdown of hapless lower level team.
6) Furman - Loss to pretty good CCU and good win on the road at Citadel.
7) The Citadel - Good win against Jax and competitive against Furman in loss.
8) Samford - Competitive against GaSo in loss and beatdown of hapless lower division team.
9) WCU - Expected blowout to BCS and win over Mars Hill.

Gotta wait until week four to really know much. UTC has the only early schedule that reflects anything about them and so far they appear pretty darn good. I still think the SoCon as a whole is a little better than in recent years with Elon better than expected, Citadel showing some improvement and WCU winning a game. App doesn't look as explosive as recent years on offense and the jury is still out on the defense...so far it hasn't looked so good.

OL FU
September 12th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Nothing so far this year would make many put Furman or El Cit in front of App though, except hatred.

In that case, we are way the hell ahead of youxlolx

citdog
September 12th, 2011, 10:28 AM
In that case, we are way the hell ahead of youxlolx

fu all the time

Mountaineer#96
September 12th, 2011, 10:33 AM
1) Georgia Southern
2) Appalachian State
3) Wofford
4) Chattanooga
5) Furman
6) Western Carolina
7) Elon
8) Samford
9) The Citadel

Predictions
Savannah State @ Appalachian State
Elon @ N. C. Central
Chattanooga @ Eastern Kentucky

Good picks this week....unlike most I do not see EKU just rolling over for the Chatty Choo Choos this week. EKU lost to Kansas State by 3 (they did however let Missouri State hang around too long last week), and Chatty might be thinking about the big win last week, or the even bigger game coming up next week in Boone. I like EKU in this one, of course I picked Jacksonville State last week, but that was just to piss on a certain Moc fan.

fc97
September 12th, 2011, 11:16 AM

Hatred?

biggie
September 12th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Hatred?
As in hating App. Its a contagious disease around here.

citdog
September 12th, 2011, 11:38 AM
As in hating App. Its a contagious disease around here.

"Render unto Caesar"

chattownmocs
September 12th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Chattanooga will roll all over Eastern Kentucky, then after the game all the people who picked against them again will act like it was meaningless.

Smitty
September 12th, 2011, 11:45 AM
9) WCU - Expected blowout to BCS and win over Mars Hill.

I wouldn't say expected blowout exactly, we did put up 21 points against GT.

Also after a BCS game and Mars Hill somehow we are 2nd in Scoring Offense, 1st in Total Offense, 4th in Rushing, 1st in Passing. Won't mention the defense though xlolx...

While I expect all of these to drop, it is definitely weird seeing WCU at the top of some of these lists.

Bam
September 12th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Chattanooga will roll all over Eastern Kentucky, then after the game all the people who picked against them again will act like it was meaningless.

Wait? I thought it was always "meaningless" when you beat a hapless OVC team?

chattownmocs
September 12th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Wait? I thought it was always "meaningless" when you beat a hapless OVC team?

Personally I wouldnt rank them in the top 11 if I didnt think they were any good. Its amzing how suddenly noone has any respect for any team in the OVC because Chattanooga whipped their best team. Eastern Kentcuky is also nationally ranked in every poll I have seen including AGS.

Bam
September 12th, 2011, 12:03 PM
The Colonels at home are a entirely different monster IMHO. The loss to UTC last year was bad, so the fellas should be playing with a differnet attitude.

OL FU
September 12th, 2011, 12:37 PM
fu all the time

Glad to see you coming aroundxthumbsupxxlolx

longtimemocfan
September 14th, 2011, 09:35 AM
The Colonels at home are a entirely different monster IMHO. The loss to UTC last year was bad, so the fellas should be playing with a differnet attitude.

I agree EKU much better at home. Colonels went unbeaten at home last year. Going to be a tough game for us.

longtimemocfan
September 14th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Savannah State - 7 Savannah St. Not very good leave it at that.
Appalachian State -63

Elon-31 Should be easy win for Phoenix.
N. C.Central-10

Chattanooga-28 Going to be tough game, but see Mocs winning out in the
E. Kentucky- 24 end.

ElonPride
September 14th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Savannah State - 7 Savannah St. Not very good leave it at that.
Appalachian State -63

Elon-31 Should be easy win for Phoenix.
N. C.Central-10

Chattanooga-28 Going to be tough game, but see Mocs winning out in the
E. Kentucky- 24 end.

Not sure Elon will have an easy win. NCCU has a pretty good RB, and Elon traditionally has problems stopping the run.

ekufbfan
September 14th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Okay guys, I know most of you have little if any respect for the OVC and I understand that. As far as the EKU-Chatty game, IMO IF we don't take care of business at home we deserve exactly what I am reading on this thread.
1. If Chatty "rolls all over us" or the ASU fan who "doubts that it will be much of a contest", then there are going to be some mighty disappointed fans in Richmond. We keep hearing that we are getting it back together at EKU and getting blow away by UTC AT HOME will be a major disappointment.
2. As far as UTC "beating the best team in the OVC already", just what are you basing that judgement on...rankings, coach speak (Crowe?), what you read on here posted by fans, all that is speculation as OVC play has barely began and EKU has played NO OVC games yet. JSU well may be the best or they may not, but I would not use that as criteria for who will win Sat. night.
3. I am not ready to throw in the towel to UTC. That's not saying I think we will win, but not saying UTC will. I have watched football for over 40 years, so I am little more wise than to say, one team "will roll all over" another. But the UTC fans that thinks that EKU has thrown in the towel already...I hope your team is looking beyond EKU too, that suits us just dandy.;)
GO EKU!!

biggie
September 14th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Not sure Elon will have an easy win. NCCU has a pretty good RB, and Elon traditionally has problems stopping the run.
If Elon has any problems with NCCU after being respectable at Vandy then it will be a bit embarassing.

ElonPride
September 14th, 2011, 10:33 AM
If Elon has any problems with NCCU after being respectable at Vandy then it will be a bit embarassing.

Yes you are correct. But it does look like our back up QB Tyler Smith (the Maryland transfer) will be getting the start. Wilson pranged his ankle last game. If Wilson were the starter, I'd give us a big thumbs up!

biggie
September 14th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Yes you are correct. But it does look like our back up QB Tyler Smith (the Maryland transfer) will be getting the start. Wilson pranged his ankle last game. If Wilson were the starter, I'd give us a big thumbs up!
How is your running game now without Riddle? Didn't know if you had become more balanced this year. A decent running game should really be all you need against NCCU.

eiu1999
September 14th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Okay guys, I know most of you have little if any respect for the OVC and I understand that. As far as the EKU-Chatty game, IMO IF we don't take care of business at home we deserve exactly what I am reading on this thread.
1. If Chatty "rolls all over us" or the ASU fan who "doubts that it will be much of a contest", then there are going to be some mighty disappointed fans in Richmond. We keep hearing that we are getting it back together at EKU and getting blow away by UTC AT HOME will be a major disappointment.
2. As far as UTC "beating the best team in the OVC already", just what are you basing that judgement on...rankings, coach speak (Crowe?), what you read on here posted by fans, all that is speculation as OVC play has barely began and EKU has played NO OVC games yet. JSU well may be the best or they may not, but I would not use that as criteria for who will win Sat. night.
3. I am not ready to throw in the towel to UTC. That's not saying I think we will win, but not saying UTC will. I have watched football for over 40 years, so I am little more wise than to say, one team "will roll all over" another. But the UTC fans that thinks that EKU has thrown in the towel already...I hope your team is looking beyond EKU too, that suits us just dandy.;)
GO EKU!!

This is going to be a good game to keep an eye on this week. I really do think EKU can win this and it would be a good showing for the OVC.

phoenix3
September 14th, 2011, 11:03 AM
How is your running game now without Riddle? Didn't know if you had become more balanced this year. A decent running game should really be all you need against NCCU.

Our running game is better, still not stellar. Thomas Wilson was one of our top rushers. The kid seemed to know when to take off. I still have high hopes for Tyler Smith, but when he came in the game, just before the half, the offense sputtered. As of now, I feel like EP. I'm not taking anything for granted against NCCU based on what I saw last week. We had a little trouble with Brian Kennedy, one of Concord's running backs, and if the RB for NCCU is as advertised, we could have trouble there as well. Without Wilson, I'm afraid NCCU can make a game of it...

longtimemocfan
September 14th, 2011, 11:45 AM
GO EKU!!

Trust me I'm not in the crowd that's taking this game lightly. If we win it's going to be very hard fought. Know all about the way EKU plays at home.

olejack
September 14th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I'd have to say that GaSou, App, and Wofford are the top three this week just based on overall polls. I'm hopeful that the Mocs are as good as I think they are but still too early to tell. This past sat was a big win but I'm not sure how good Jaxville St is. I think this weeks game at EKU is going to be a close game especially at Kidd Brewer. Every week is certainly going to be the biggest game of the year for the Mocs. Another ranked team this week, App next week, a much improved Citadel the following week, then no. 1 ranked GaSou, and on and on. I am confident we will make the playoffs. Go Mocs!

Bam
September 14th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I'd have to say that GaSou, App, and Wofford are the top three this week just based on overall polls. I'm hopeful that the Mocs are as good as I think they are but still too early to tell. This past sat was a big win but I'm not sure how good Jaxville St is. I think this weeks game at EKU is going to be a close game especially at Kidd Brewer. Every week is certainly going to be the biggest game of the year for the Mocs. Another ranked team this week, App next week, a much improved Citadel the following week, then no. 1 ranked GaSou, and on and on. I am confident we will make the playoffs. Go Mocs!

Ouch! I think you meant ROY KIDD STADIUM.

olejack
September 14th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Ouch! I think you meant ROY KIDD STADIUM.

Sorry about that Bam. I did mean Roy Kidd. My bad. Gimme a prediction for the game.

CID1990
September 15th, 2011, 03:20 AM

We haven't proved much.

Even the upcoming game with Elon won't prove much unless you guys blow us out or we blow you out. If it is a close game (which it might well be) then we'll still be scratching our heads into week 4.