PDA

View Full Version : 12 games for 2006?

JMU Duke Dog
April 10th, 2006, 09:14 PM
It is April now and I have no idea what is going on with the possibility of having 12 regular season games for Division I-AA in 2006. Does anyone have any information? Also does anyone have 9/16/06 open if it does pass?

McNeese75
April 10th, 2006, 09:49 PM
It is April now and I have no idea what is going on with the possibility of having 12 regular season games for Division I-AA in 2006. Does anyone have any information? Also does anyone have 9/16/06 open if it does pass?

We are open that date, come see us!!!:D

JMU Duke Dog
April 10th, 2006, 09:53 PM

As of now JMU has five home games for 2006 with one of those being a Division II opponent in Bloomsburg. I don't think our AD would play at McNeese State in 2006. Maybe you all could visit Harrisonburg this upcoming season with a return trip by us to you all later?

April 10th, 2006, 09:57 PM
dukedog, there has been constant talk on I-AA WAVES about this with conference commish's.

JMU Duke Dog
April 10th, 2006, 10:00 PM
dukedog, there has been constant talk on I-AA WAVES about this with conference commish's.

I have not been following along with I-AA as I used to follow. :(
I went to Jamaica and have been loaded with tons of work since getting back. Could you please update those that have been bad and not been able to listen? I will definitely tune in tomorrow night though!

April 10th, 2006, 10:03 PM
I have not been following along with I-AA as I used to follow. :(
I went to Jamaica and have been loaded with tons of work since getting back. Could you please update those that have been bad and not been able to listen? I will definitely tune in tomorrow night though!Go here and listen:

http://iaawaves.libsyn.com/

Ronbo
April 10th, 2006, 10:27 PM

The Griz have the 16th open but we are committed to an Aug 26 game with 4 time NAIA National Champs Carroll if we get a 12th game. With them just 100 miles away it would be a sellout worth $650,000 in just ticket sales. It'll be a tuneup game for Iowa.

JMU Duke Dog
April 10th, 2006, 10:36 PM
The Griz have the 16th open but we are committed to an Aug 26 game with 4 time NAIA National Champs Carroll if we get a 12th game. With them just 100 miles away it would be a sellout worth $650,000 in just ticket sales. It'll be a tuneup game for Iowa.

So can all schools schedule games on 8/26 if the regular season is extended to 12 games? That might help JMU find an opponent.

mainejeff
April 10th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Maine is still looking for #11 at last report thanks to Indiana, Southern Illinois, and Lock Haven :mad:.

Ronbo
April 10th, 2006, 10:45 PM
I read somewhere that they would need to allow late Aug. games or it wouldn't work.

blukeys
April 10th, 2006, 10:54 PM
I have to give credit to MaineJeff. It appears he is working harder to fill out Maine's schedule then their own acting AD. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

McNeese72
April 11th, 2006, 08:06 AM

Hey, 75, that school just to the East of us had someone (Ohio U.) cancel out on them for the 16th. Would you be interested in a trip to Lafayette instead?

That is if they don't fill the spot before the 12th game for I-AA is approved (if it is). Our luck with scheduling, they will fill it one day and the next day the 12th game will be approved for I-AA. :)

Doc

henfan
April 11th, 2006, 08:21 AM
I have to give credit to MaineJeff. It appears he is working harder to fill out Maine's schedule then their own acting AD. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

And this is exactly why I've suggested that schools like UMaine and UNH should be in no rush to leave the CAA Football League for what is bound to be a conference with fewer teams to fill their schedules and, more importantly from the revenue standpoint, one that will undoubtedly offer them fewer guaranteed home games.

Because of it's adverse geography, UMaine for years has had an incredibly difficult time scheduling 3 nonconference games that made sense. What would happen if they had to go out and find 4, 5 or even 6 nonconference opponents every year? The few proponents of a fantasy America East Football League have never really addressed what is the most practical issue of all: financing the league.

Husky Alum
April 11th, 2006, 09:07 AM
HF -

If Maine were to play AE football, rest assured both UNH and Maine would play NU to give them an OOC game.

Hear me out. If Maine, UNH, URI, UMass left the CAA to play AE ball, until ODU comes on board, the CAA would only have 8 teams, so they would need to find 4 or 5 OOC games.

As sure as it's Opening Day here in Boston, NU would still play UNH and UMass every year, and likely would rotate Maine and URI for another OOC.

I think the schedules would look eerily familiar, to support your point, it's just that there would be 2 conferences.

henfan
April 11th, 2006, 10:22 AM
I think the schedules would look eerily familiar, to support your point, it's just that there would be 2 conferences.

Good point and I think that's a spot on assessment of how it would have to pan out for a few of the northernmost schools, who've typically had difficult times finding home games. We've entered the realm of complete speculation here, but I don't think you'd see a lot of intersectional matches between the northernmost schools and majority of teams south of Massachusetts. There are too many other nonconferences scheduling options for CAA schools among Patriot League, NEC, MEAC, Big South, SoCon, and regional I-A schools. Take a look at CAA Olympic sport schedules as evidence.

bluehenbillk
April 11th, 2006, 10:52 AM
What is the date of this vote? Isn't it later this month?

TexasTerror
April 11th, 2006, 10:58 AM
What is the date of this vote? Isn't it later this month?

NCAA calendar...

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/calendar

I'm assuming it's one or a combination of both of these, but I could be wrong...

04.27.06 Division I Board of Directors, Indianapolis
04.28.06 Executive Committee, Indianapolis

Also of note,
04.10.06 -
04.11.06 Divisions I, II and III Management Councils
04.17.06 Presidential Task Force on the Future of Intercollegiate Athletics, Dallas

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 11th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Just for the record, I've yet to see anything expressed by folks in Durham about difficulty filling the football schedule nor about being anxious to leave CAA Football. :confused:

I find it interesting that the majority of the posters singing the virtues of America East Football are from Maine or schools not playing A10/CAA Football.

I'm with Henfan, how and why would Northeastern and Hofstra become part of AE? And without them, how do you even begin to have a football conference that would help UNH and Maine remain competitive on the national scene? Sorry, but I'm not an AE Homer on this one.

McNeese75
April 11th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Hey, 75, that school just to the East of us had someone (Ohio U.) cancel out on them for the 16th. Would you be interested in a trip to Lafayette instead?

That is if they don't fill the spot before the 12th game for I-AA is approved (if it is). Our luck with scheduling, they will fill it one day and the next day the 12th game will be approved for I-AA. :)

Doc

ooooohhhh Laaaa Laaaa :D

That will work just fine :nod:

mainejeff
April 11th, 2006, 02:00 PM
And this is exactly why I've suggested that schools like UMaine and UNH should be in no rush to leave the CAA Football League for what is bound to be a conference with fewer teams to fill their schedules and, more importantly from the revenue standpoint, one that will undoubtedly offer them fewer guaranteed home games.

Because of it's adverse geography, UMaine for years has had an incredibly difficult time scheduling 3 nonconference games that made sense. What would happen if they had to go out and find 4, 5 or even 6 nonconference opponents every year? The few proponents of a fantasy America East Football League have never really addressed what is the most practical issue of all: financing the league.

First off, the concept of AE Football is no longer "fantasy".......second, why do people insist that AE Football will only have 6 members???:confused: Do you think that they are that stupid?

henfan
April 11th, 2006, 02:41 PM
First off, the concept of AE Football is no longer "fantasy".......second, why do people insist that AE Football will only have 6 members???:confused: Do you think that they are that stupid?

Fantasy is typically described as a product of the imagination. Unless I missed a press release or something, AEC FB exists only in certain people's minds and maybe in boardroom discussions at this point.

I sure didn't insist AEC FB could have 6 members. By my count, only 4 core AEC members play (or will be playing) FB by the end of the decade.

Is there an outside chance the AEC could cobble together a FB league with another 3 or 4 affiliates? You betcha. Realistically though, from where do those affiliates come? The AEC would also have to quell concerns of a viability of a league with only 4 core members, especially since there's a chance other leagues could pick off one or more of those core members. If that happens, where does that leave AEC FB?

Look, I really do think the AEC at some point will have to address meeting the FB needs of upgraded SBU and UA programs and I have no doubt that Pat Nero is working towards that end. I'm just not sure how they get from Point A to Point B, considering the current lineup and the limited choice of compatable expansion partners within the AEC's existing footprint. Now, if the conference expanded to include the Dakota schools....

As for the AEC being that stupid, this is the same league that had an opportunity to significantly upgrade its league but instead choose to allow nearly half of its members to walk. AEC leadership hasn't exactly inspired confidence in the recent past. (A little like UD's leaders!)

mainejeff
April 11th, 2006, 02:51 PM
As for the AEC being that stupid, this is the same league that had an opportunity to significantly upgrade its league but instead choose to allow nearly half of its members to walk. AEC leadership hasn't exactly inspired confidence in the recent past. (A little like UD's leaders!)

You do know that America East is under completely different leadership now, right?

henfan
April 11th, 2006, 03:05 PM
You do know that America East is under completely different leadership now, right?

Have AEC voting by-laws changed because last time I checked Vermont, Hartford and BU were still very much part of the league?

Conference leaders are often only as effective as the CEOs & BOTs who give them their marching orders. What have AEC leaders ever done to raise the profile of the league?

mainejeff
April 11th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Well, BU and Vermont are in Hockey East (and if America East Hockey is on the table, that changes things a bit).......Albany, Stony Brook, Binghamton, and UMBC weren't around back then. In fact, now that those schools have witnessed the "exodus"......I doubt that they still feel the same way......let's just say that it wouldn't be in their best interests to block further attempts at establishing AE Football ;).

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 11th, 2006, 04:22 PM
And I'll believe AE Hockey happens when it becomes more than Internet Forum discussion. Why would Boston College (ACC), Providence (Big East), UConn (Big East and Hockey East for Women's Ice Hockey) and UMass (A-10) prefer to have America East banners flying in their arenas instead of Hockey East? It's a lot easier to explain a niche league than what is viewed as a low major league. What's the upside for them?

mainejeff
April 11th, 2006, 09:27 PM
And I'll believe AE Hockey happens when it becomes more than Internet Forum discussion. Why would Boston College (ACC), Providence (Big East), UConn (Big East and Hockey East for Women's Ice Hockey) and UMass (A-10) prefer to have America East banners flying in their arenas instead of Hockey East? It's a lot easier to explain a niche league than what is viewed as a low major league. What's the upside for them?

UNH......Are you on Tom Yeager's payroll now? ;)

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 11th, 2006, 11:28 PM
UNH......Are you on Tom Yeager's payroll now? ;)

I saw the wink so I know you're not busting me. But at the same time, I'm trying to say that I can put myself in other's shoes and not see the logic in making such a move. Because of that I look for more tangible evidence that some of these things are happening because I don't hear any discussion of them within my community of UNH folks. I understand not being able to post certain things, but usually I hear similiar scuttlebutt from UNH compadres to substantiate discussions on the forums without hard evidence. Not happening with AE Football or AE Hockey.

mainejeff
April 12th, 2006, 12:07 AM
If all of this AE stuff is in fact in the works, then I fully expect the CAA to invite Albany and UNH to join the CAA within the next month or 2. Really the only way that Yeager can stop this from happening IMO.

henfan
April 12th, 2006, 09:08 AM
If all of this AE stuff is in fact in the works, then I fully expect the CAA to invite Albany and UNH to join the CAA within the next month or 2. Really the only way that Yeager can stop this from happening IMO.

Jeff, you seem way too consumed with what the CAA might or might not do. If you think the AEC football wasn't mentioned as part of the discussions when UMaine and the other affiliates signed to join the CAA, you're hopelessly naive.

It's highly unlikely that the CAA is all that concerned with the AEC's future plans and they certainly aren't going to expand simply to spite the AEC. In fact, the two conferences have worked together in the past several times on expansion issues and, because of the geography of the two leagues, may have to continue doing so. It's not as contentious a situation as you'd like to believe.

The CAA will expand if and when the member schools think it's in their best interest to do so and with partners that they believe will add to the league's profile. They're not going to do it simply to keep the AEC from starting its own FB league. If that's the result, then so be it. But UMaine already has a home as a CAA affiliate, so what's the worry?