PDA

View Full Version : KBS mini-expansion update:

Skjellyfetti
September 7th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Temporary bleachers finished in the endzone finished today:
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/298065_10150277561690906_21461065905_8189881_14619 55160_n.jpg

proasu89
September 7th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Temporary bleachers finished in the endzone finished today:
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/298065_10150277561690906_21461065905_8189881_14619 55160_n.jpg

I'm pissed that you can't see the track from those seats.

AppAlum2003
September 7th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Looks great IMHO... IMDO as well

StorminASU
September 8th, 2011, 09:19 AM
I'm pissed that you can't see the track from those seats.

You just won a lifetime supply of internets, haha. Fantastic quote!

GaSouthern
September 8th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Can we get another picture from another view? I've never been there and I can't get a grasp of how this looks, seems to me like it is blocking the view of many people who stand in the grass?

Saint3333
September 8th, 2011, 09:39 AM
The seats are in the north endzone, the grass hill is in the south endzone.

asumike83
September 8th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Can we get another picture from another view? I've never been there and I can't get a grasp of how this looks, seems to me like it is blocking the view of many people who stand in the grass?

The standing-room seats are in the south end zone, these seats were put in the north end zone by the field house. I'd love to see another picture of them too but if not, I'll get a good one on Saturday!

GaSouthern
September 8th, 2011, 09:42 AM
ohhhhh, so they are on the building side. Well I thought you guys had a tunnel you ran out of, wouldn't this block the players entrance?

asumike83
September 8th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Once they built the Appalachian Athletics Center behind the West side in 2009, the locker rooms are now located there and the players walk out on the north end zone by the grass hill.

biggie
September 8th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Does kind of block the visiting teams entrance and still want to see how they control foot traffic there. would guess they are only allowed to go to the West side.

Saint3333
September 8th, 2011, 11:54 AM
I hope the visiting team isn't allowed to run in front of these stands to their sideline. I'd make them "run" behind them and up the east side sideline.

asumike83
September 8th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Does kind of block the visiting teams entrance and still want to see how they control foot traffic there. would guess they are only allowed to go to the West side.

I'm sure the visiting team will greeted with a friendly 'Hello gentlemen, welcome to Boone!' by the ASU students :D

Apphole
September 8th, 2011, 11:58 AM
I'm sure the visiting team will greeted with a friendly 'Hello gentlemen, welcome to Boone!' by the ASU students :D

I can't wait to show them my hello finger

Waco Kid
September 8th, 2011, 12:14 PM

Classy!

theasushow
September 8th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I could be wrong but I think I heard this is going to be students-only, should produce quite a bit of noise around the goalline for the opposition. Also heard that originally the band would sit here but have since heard otherwise.

Apphole
September 8th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I could be wrong but I think I heard this is going to be students-only, should produce quite a bit of noise around the goalline for the opposition. Also heard that originally the band would sit here but have since heard otherwise.

Look's like the latest seating chart says students only

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=1524545

asumike83
September 8th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Anybody got a couple extra AppCards? I can pretend I'm still a student

AppAlum2003
September 8th, 2011, 12:35 PM

They're just making sure the opposing players know that they are #1!

biggie
September 8th, 2011, 12:36 PM
I still have my student ID, though its over 10 years old. But would have to line up 2-3 hours before kickoff to get those seats. Probably a mad rush to get to them.

StorminASU
September 8th, 2011, 01:42 PM
I still have my student ID, though its over 10 years old. But would have to line up 2-3 hours before kickoff to get those seats. Probably a mad rush to get to them.

They're finally swiping student cards this year I hear, so I suspect they'll catch more than a few trying to sneak in this way.

biggie
September 8th, 2011, 02:19 PM
They're finally swiping student cards this year I hear, so I suspect they'll catch more than a few trying to sneak in this way.
Mentioned in the other thread, but thought they had to login and print tickets the last couple years? I know the were swiping the magnetic strip back in the day, but wasn't sure what all has happened since.

elkinftball2002
September 8th, 2011, 02:26 PM
the swiping of the cards in just to get into the stadium. anyone can still sit in student section

Skjellyfetti
September 8th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Mentioned in the other thread, but thought they had to login and print tickets the last couple years? I know the were swiping the magnetic strip back in the day, but wasn't sure what all has happened since.

they're going back to swiping cards when entering the stadium. no more printing student tickets.

here's the info:

Student ticketing has undergone a monumental change this season and it's all designed to make it easier for you. You do not have to print a ticket for football games. Your ticket is your ASU student ID. Simply go to the designated student gate at Kidd Brewer Stadium on either the West or the East sides of the the stadium and your current ASU ID will be swiped at the gate. You MUST have your student ID for entry. No paper student tickets will be issued this year at either our office or at the ticket plaza on gameday.

biggie
September 8th, 2011, 03:05 PM
^Cool. Now if we can just figure out how to get them to come to playoff games (or make the playoffs first this year).

Mountaineer
September 8th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Appears it's finished:

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics32/800/UK/UKBIBFTGVUNCJPY.20110908205153.jpg

New North End Zone Seating
The most visible new feature at The Rock is the addition of 1,500 seats in the stadium's north end zone. Situated just feet from the playing field's end line, the closest seats to action in Kidd Brewer Stadium's 50-year history are reserved exclusively for Appalachian students.

The 1,500 new seats are in addition to the seating sections already reserved for ASU's students. Appalachian students will continue to occupy sections 101-107 directly behind the Mountaineer bench as well as sections 114, 217 and 218 on the stadium's east side.

The 1,500 additional seats, which were erected this week, bring Kidd Brewer Stadium's official seating capacity to 23,150. The seats will be removed following the conclusion of the season.

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=205268384

Can't wait to see it, and more importantly hear the students, on Saturday. xthumbsupx

Dane96
September 8th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Out of curiosity (for Albany's potential one side of temporary stands we keep hearing about)...any idea on the cost of this. Looks great!

Skjellyfetti
September 11th, 2011, 03:50 PM
http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg864/scaled.php?tn=0&server=864&filename=493fv.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

GaSouthern
September 11th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Probably ups the dB level a little too

Gringer1
September 11th, 2011, 04:26 PM
The sign says "Yosef Club". Isn't that the booster organization? I'm just confused as to whether the seats are for students as advertised.

tarmac
September 11th, 2011, 04:29 PM
It's called advertising.

Skjellyfetti
September 11th, 2011, 04:30 PM
The sign says "Yosef Club". Isn't that the booster organization? I'm just confused as to whether the seats are for students as advertised.

The stand is for students.

The Yosef Club is the booster organization... and the banner is just an ad for the organization. It's not a sign indicating where the Yosef Club sits or anything.

There is also a student Yosef Club:
http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=204982080

Gringer1
September 11th, 2011, 04:44 PM
I figured it was just an ad, but I remember some boosters sitting on the deck of the field house to watch the game. With the stands there, it would block their view, so I didn't know if they just moved those people into the stands.

Skjellyfetti
September 11th, 2011, 04:49 PM
I figured it was just an ad, but I remember some boosters sitting on the deck of the field house to watch the game. With the stands there, it would block their view, so I didn't know if they just moved those people into the stands.

Those people that used to stand on the deck of the field house now probably have swanky club seats in the new press box now.

Mountaineer
September 11th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Probably ups the dB level a little too

Crowd was pretty apathetic yesterday, actually. Perhaps to do with the opponent and score, but nothing like I'm hoping we'll see once SoCon action starts.

Over the last few years on third down most people in the stadium have gone to holding up three fingers instead of..I dunno..making noise and the loudness has really suffered. xshakefistx

It's one of the more stupid traditions we've started and I wonder if it's taking place at other stadiums?

Mountaineer#96
September 11th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Crowd was pretty apathetic yesterday, actually. Perhaps to do with the opponent and score, but nothing like I'm hoping we'll see once SoCon action starts.

Over the last few years on third down most people in the stadium have gone to holding up three fingers instead of..I dunno..making noise and the loudness has really suffered. xshakefistx

It's one of the more stupid traditions we've started and I wonder if it's taking place at other stadiums?

That is just plain dumb.......
The issue with KBS at the current moment is the students are moving toward football games being a social event. That is why they are quiet playing with a iPhone while it is third down. They leave early now b/c of a variety of reasons, but overall too many it is just a social event to show up to.

Really starting to piss the old corp off as well. It is a little funk I hope we can break out off somehow, otherwise we may end up like .....dare I say Chapel Hill?

Mountaineer
September 11th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Really starting to piss the old corp off as well. It is a little funk I hope we can break out off somehow, otherwise we may end up like .....dare I say Chapel Hill?

Yes, the crowd around yesterday was, for the most part, terrible. The game didn't offer much in the excitement category, but we've had a problem with people leaving early for years now. However, even for big games the third down fingers
really suck. I miss the old days of screaming..clapping..stomping..pounding on
the seats in front.

I'd like to see the start time of games moved up an hour to 2:30. Cut down on some of the drunken assholes all over the place, and maybe encourage people to stay in their seats instead of the mad rush to get home or out to eat..or whatever the hell they're leaving early for..meh.

Mountaineer#96
September 11th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Yes, the crowd around yesterday was, for the most part, terrible. The game didn't offer much in the excitement category, but we've had a problem with people leaving early for years now. However, even for big games the third down fingers
really suck. I miss the old days of screaming..clapping..stomping..pounding on
the seats in front.

I'd like to see the start time of games moved up an hour to 2:30. Cut down on some of the drunken assholes all over the place, and maybe encourage people to stay in their seats instead of the mad rush to get home or out to eat..or whatever the hell they're leaving early for..meh.

The last Chapel Hill game I attended ('09) was about as wine and cheese as I have ever seen. Even the young students just attended for the sole reason of "hanging out". There was no crowd noise except people talking to each other, I must have told people sitting around me a thousand times about the atmosphere at KBS and how much it would help the team if they could bring that every game and get people involved and interested. It is sad to see ASU moving this direction, b/c then that means we are "established". ;(

GunsAndGuitars
September 11th, 2011, 07:18 PM

I don't know, or claim to know why the crowd leaves so early. I personally went to the bar at 42-6 in the third. I had seen what I wanted to see.

GaSouthern
September 11th, 2011, 07:57 PM

I was SCREAMING at the fans at the GSU game (not the students they were rocking it) to get loud on 3rd down and it was pretty sad really. Coaches on the field said it was one of the loudest games they have heard in the last 10 years though so that was a good sign.

i'm sure KBS will be plenty loud for my first trip there this fall though xthumbsupx

StorminASU
September 11th, 2011, 08:05 PM
I don't know what you all are complaining about with the student section being quiet. I was two rows back from the 50 yard line yesterday and I've never heard the student section any louder, especially considering the level of competition we were playing...and leaving early? what do you expect? honestly? we beat them like yard dogs. It was NC A&T. Everyone can't be die hard fans, be grateful our stadium was as full as it was playing a team like that. A lot schools would kill to have that many show up if they left after one quarter. The place was pretty full at 0:00 considering the 52 point butt whooping we just delivered.

GaSouthern
September 11th, 2011, 08:09 PM
As one of the GSU assistants put it on the post game show "I don't have a problem with them leaving early, i'm just glad we could provide a score that out of hand so the fans knew it was over before it was actually over"

Gringer1
September 11th, 2011, 08:23 PM
GSU had a problem with fans become somewhat complacent with success a few years back. That's why we intentionally engineered the awful BVG/bubble screen years. It made us all embrace our traditions more and root for our team harder. Best fan support plan we've ever had xsmiley_wix

Apphole
September 11th, 2011, 09:57 PM
I feel like we are twice as loud when we are on tv

Gringer1
September 11th, 2011, 11:12 PM
I feel like we are twice as loud when we are on tv

Your remote lets you be as loud as you want on TV.

Mountaineer
September 12th, 2011, 03:43 PM
i'm sure KBS will be plenty loud for my first trip there this fall though xthumbsupx

Sure, KBS will be plenty load when ya'll roll into town. And you'll be able to witness the absurdity of the three fingers for yourself while most likely thinking "WTF?!" xlolx

I hope whomever started the tradition at ASU loses their hand in a machinery accident. :o

Hate to say it, but The Rock has lost a lot of the intimidation factor lately with the piped-in music, constant assault of ads from the video board, and inability to coordinate between the music, band and PA guy. It's a mess.

Used to be the band played..a lot..and the fans got loud as hell and did the rest.

Apphole
September 12th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Your remote lets you be as loud as you want on TV.

Ah you know what I mean. I think the ESPN Halloween game was the loudest KBS has ever been. Black Saturday this year should pass it. Unless the damn endzone seats keep ruining the App State chant. That got a little frustrating this Saturday.

Mountaineer#96
September 12th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Ah you know what I mean. I think the ESPN Halloween game was the loudest KBS has ever been. Black Saturday this year should pass it. Unless the damn endzone seats keep ruining the App State chant. That got a little frustrating this Saturday.

I wasn't able to crawl out from underneath my bridge on Sat. .....what were the kids in the end zone seats doing exactly?

Skjellyfetti
September 12th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I wasn't able to crawl out from underneath my bridge on Sat. .....what were the kids in the end zone seats doing exactly?

They're just closer than the East Side so they respond quicker... and it throws off the timing and it gets garbled pretty quickly.

Mountaineer#96
September 12th, 2011, 05:55 PM
They're just closer than the East Side so they respond quicker... and it throws off the timing and it gets garbled pretty quickly.

Oh ok gotcha.....in other words they just need to shut up when the cheer kicks off.....hopefully they get it this week.

ASUMountaineer
September 13th, 2011, 01:55 PM

At Michigan, people take out their keys and shake them because it's a "key play." The three finger thing, AT LEAST, is better than that crap.

I, for one, refuse to hold up three fingers on third down preferring to clap and scream as loudly as possible. That's how I roll in the old people's section. :D

AppAlum2003
September 13th, 2011, 02:00 PM
At Michigan, people take out their keys and shake them because it's a "key play." The three finger thing, AT LEAST, is better than that crap.

I, for one, refuse to hold up three fingers on third down preferring to clap and scream as loudly as possible. That's how I roll in the old people's section. :D

+1... was just complaining about that on Saturday from my view in 203. The three fingers thing needs to go - wish it never started. You're MUCH louder clapping and banging on seat backs. The crowd on Saturday was pathetic... so was the opponent; not sure that's coincidental.

Mountaineer
September 13th, 2011, 03:11 PM

I believe Northern Iowa was doing they key ring jingle at one point as well. I thought so anyway. I remember ASU fans doing so the fourth quarter as way of saying "Warm up the bus" when the game was pretty much over. I could be imagining both. :D

Good man. I refuse to do the three finger thing too. It's just clapping and screaming for me. xlolx Seems the more cutesy and inorganic the game experience becomes the crowd participation and noise level follows.

biggie
September 13th, 2011, 10:00 PM
VT with the keys as well.

rjg129
September 14th, 2011, 05:37 AM
iknow we were doing the key thing in the late 90s when i was there....i think these things just recycle themselves...hopefully the wave never comes back

ASUMountaineer
September 14th, 2011, 07:45 AM
I believe Northern Iowa was doing they key ring jingle at one point as well. I thought so anyway. I remember ASU fans doing so the fourth quarter as way of saying "Warm up the bus" when the game was pretty much over. I could be imagining both. :D

Good man. I refuse to do the three finger thing too. It's just clapping and screaming for me. xlolx Seems the more cutesy and inorganic the game experience becomes the crowd participation and noise level follows.

Yeah, I remember the "warm up the bus" key thing. Let's see how loud we can be this weekend...

AppMan
September 14th, 2011, 08:17 AM
That is just plain dumb.......
The issue with KBS at the current moment is the students are moving toward football games being a social event. That is why they are quiet playing with a iPhone while it is third down. They leave early now b/c of a variety of reasons, but overall too many it is just a social event to show up to.

Let me begin by saying the hard core students at ASU are one of the best parts of attending games at ASU. Those kids get after it and are a joy to watch. However, I could not agree more with you on people leaving early. It hit a boiling point with me last year at the Furman game. I could not believe the number of folks leaving at the half with the score at 14-6. It didn't go unnoticed by the Furman radio people either. A friend listening to the game on the Furman network said those guys were stunned as well and made the comment "these ASU fans do not appreciate what they have up here."

I have noticed most of the early departures seem to be students on the bank and perhaps if we had seats for them they'd stick around. What really gets me are those who leave early to beat the crowd to the restaurants and traffic out of town. Personally I like the later kick because it allows people off the mountain to get a few things done and still make the drive without getting up at the crack of dawn. It also makes it easier for familes with kids in Saturday activities to make the games, but I completely agree with your point about the drunks. Unfortunately it is a maturity issue that takes a while to correct in some folks.