PDA

View Full Version : Get Rid of IAA games??? A viewpoint from another dumb columnist

FargoBison
April 10th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Get rid of the D-IAA games
The alternative scheduling to make everyone happy
By Pete Fiutak

Let me start off by going on the record with my belief that teams are nuts not to schedule a game against a D-IAA team to start the season. With no preseason games like the NFL has, it's crazy not to have a tune up before playing a meaningful game. However, most dates against D-IAA teams are used to make lots of money with an easy win. Fans don't like these games and they're of little use in the college football big picture.

Save your argument that the best D-IAA teams are better than the bottom 25 D-I teams. I don't care. If they're so good, move up to D-I and then we can talk. Until then, D-I teams should play other D-I teams. It's not fair to make fans shell out money for a meaningless blowout over a minor league college football team when the easiest of adjustments could produce far more interesting matchups.

Below are 70 games that match D-I vs. D-IAA teams and my easy alternatives for how to make college football a better sport for all.

Northern Arizona at Arizona State, Aug. 31
The week off helps because … It’s a needed opening day tune up before a good stretch against Nevada, at Colorado, at Cal, Oregon and at USC.
Rhode Island at Connecticut, Aug. 31
The week off helps because … It doesn’t. The Huskies don’t play a real game until September 16th against Wake Forest.
Therefore, the game that makes sense is … Connecticut at Arizona State (It would be a decent battle to fuel arguments between two BCS leagues.)

SE Louisiana at New Mexico State, Aug. 31
The week off helps because … Hal Mumme is still looking for his first win at the Aggie head man.
Stephen F. Austin at Tulsa, Aug. 31
The week off helps because … It’s a good warm up before a road trip to BYU.
Therefore, the game that makes sense is … New Mexico State at Tulsa (It’s better than the alternative. It would be a good early test to see where Mumme’s Aggie program is.)

Eastern Illinois at Illinois, Sept. 2
The week off helps because … Ron Zook could use a season-opening win before going to Rutgers.
Murray State at Missouri, Sept. 2
The week off helps because … The Tigers could use a warm up to get over the Brad Smith era before facing Ole Miss.
Therefore, the game that makes sense is … Illinois vs. Missouri (Play it in St. Louis for a great border war.)

Sacramento State at Boise State, Sept. 2
The week off helps because … The Chris Peterson era could use a preseason game before facing Oregon State five days later on a Thursday night.
Montana State at Colorado, Sept. 2
The week off helps because … Colorado State, Arizona State, at Georgia and at Missouri follows.
Therefore, the game that makes sense is … Boise State at Colorado (Dan Hawkins’ old and new teams)

Montana at Iowa, Sept. 2
The week off helps because … No one does opening day blowouts like Iowa. It comes before a trip to Syracuse.
Northwestern State at Kansas, Sept. 2
The week off helps because … The Jayhawks can’t use enough tune-ups for UL Monroe.
Therefore, the game that makes sense is … Kansas at Iowa (If Iowa has so many problems with Iowa State, would Kansas be just as much trouble?)......

There is more in the article here is the link.
http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2006/Columnists/Fiu/DIAA_rescheduling.htm

Mr. C
April 10th, 2006, 12:59 AM
I guess these clowns never learn. He mentions North Carolina and Furman. I guess he missed the fact that the Paladins destroyed UNC the last time they played. The Tar Babies needed a late field goal just to avoid a shutout. I think you will see several I-AA upsets next fall, starting with Appalachian State against North Carolina State (the new Wake Forest).

April 10th, 2006, 02:11 AM
Pete feeds off his Fox money line.

catamount man
April 10th, 2006, 05:20 AM
We need some I-AA wins this upcoming year over these I-A schools BAD! That will then shut these people up. We'll try our best down in the swamp.:eek:

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

lucchesicourt
April 10th, 2006, 06:28 AM
You know what's funny about his statement? The fact is early in the season both squads are usually healthy and depth is not as big a factor. So, in 1AA each team is allowed 63 schollies, and only 22 (one "O" and one "D" squad). So, both teams can have 22 schollie players on the field with plenty of back up. Now, sure 1A is more attractive to the big high school stars, but 1A's overlook many superstars, and they end up playing at lower levels. If 1A's relly want to clean up on 1AA's their best chance is late in the season after injuries have taken their toll on the 1AA sqads, because depth would be the real factor at that time. Well, that's my opinion for what it's worth.
UCD beat Stanford rather soundly with only 27-35 schollies.

RabidRabbit
April 10th, 2006, 06:35 AM
:hurray: :hurray: A very winnable game by a transitional 1-AA school. :hurray: :hurray:

I hope they can make it happen. And like their win vs WIS in BB, people would notice this. Good stampeding Bison!

My "homer" :twocents:

bluehenbillk
April 10th, 2006, 06:55 AM
I'm shocked it took so long for someone to catch that article. I have zero problem with that article & before you jump on me, consider this hypocrisy..

How often do people on this board rip other schools for playing D-2 schools or even an smorgasbord of 1-AA non-schollies. It's really the same argument here.

rokamortis
April 10th, 2006, 06:59 AM
I'm shocked it took so long for someone to catch that article. I have zero problem with that article & before you jump on me, consider this hypocrisy..

How often do people on this board rip other schools for playing D-2 schools or even an smorgasbord of 1-AA non-schollies. It's really the same argument here.

Nice point.

colgate13
April 10th, 2006, 08:09 AM
The article is also a good reason why there is a push to change names for I-A/I-AA. I-AA has plenty of stigma attached to the I-A crowd. Now, I think the same will happen with BCS/PCS but at least you get to try again...

TheValleyRaider
April 10th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Get rid of the D-IAA games
The alternative scheduling to make everyone happy
By Pete Fiutak

Let me start off by going on the record with my belief that teams are nuts not to schedule a game against a D-IAA team to start the season. With no preseason games like the NFL has, it's crazy not to have a tune up before playing a meaningful game. However, most dates against D-IAA teams are used to make lots of money with an easy win. Fans don't like these games and they're of little use in the college football big picture.

Until then, D-I teams should play other D-I teams. It's not fair to make fans shell out money for a meaningless blowout over a minor league college football team when the easiest of adjustments could produce far more interesting matchups.

So let me see if I get this straight. Teams are nuts not to schedule I-AA games, but I-AA games are a bad idea?

MR. CHICKEN
April 10th, 2006, 08:49 AM
HALF FULL-HALF EMPTY...........................:p....BRAWK!

Lehigh Football Nation
April 10th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Richmond at Duke, Sept. 2
The week off helps because … Duke needs a win before three straight ACC dates at Wake Forest, at Virginia Tech and Virginia. The next three games? At Alabama, Florida State, Miami.
Therefore, the game that makes sense is … UNLV at
Duke

Eastern Washington at Oregon State, Sept. 2
The week off helps because … The Beavers could use an opening day tune-up five days before a road trip to Boise State.
Therefore, the game that makes sense is … Oklahoma State at Oregon State

Northwestern State at Baylor, Sept. 9
The week off helps because … It comes after TCU and before a road trip to Washington State.

Hofstra at Marshall, Sept. 9
The week off helps because … This is one of only two home games for the Herd before October 28th.
Therefore, the game that makes sense is … Marshall at Georgia Tech (The two schools have never faced each other.)

New Hampshire at Northwestern, Sept. 9
The week off helps because … It doesn’t. It comes after a ten day layoff after the opener at Miami University and with Eastern Michigan to follow.

These games right here are real I-AA win opportunities.

I trust every alum of the schools mentioned here will be emailing their coaches and ADs with this prized bulletin board material?

I trust that we're all going to let [email protected] know when these wins come to pass? That they weren't "weeks off"?

Mr. C
April 10th, 2006, 09:35 AM
What a loser. Below is my exchange of emails with this clown:

Pete:

It's easy to dismiss something you haven't taken the time to become knowledgeable about. Like I said earlier, 92,000 fans at LSU had a great time watching the Tigers and Appalachian State play last season. Appalachian State could have beaten a large share of I-A teams last season, not just the bottom 25. There were at least a half-dozen NFL-caliber players on that team last fall, including DE Jason Hunter, who will be drafted this month. I could take a team of NFL stars from the I-AA ranks (names like Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Brian Westbrook, Dexter Coakley, Steve McNair, Jeremiah Trotter etc.) and beat almost any team you could put together with NFL players from I-A. Call it Minor League if you want, but there is more talent there than you realize. And you can say no one on a national scale cares about these games if you want. I used to write for the Los Angeles Times. I have covered teams like UCLA, USC, Fresno State etc. and I write nationally for several web sites. I think I-AA football is a great brand of the sport and so do other "national" writers I know also. At least I-AA knows how to decide a true national champion.

-Mr. C

On Apr 10, 2006, at 10:01 AM, Pete Fiutak wrote:

Of course there are a few examples of D-IAA coming close and even pulling off wins against D-I teams that didn't take the game seriously, and yes, some D-IAAs are better in a given year than about 25 D-Is, but it's still a minor league playing a major league and absolutely no one on a national scale cares about these games.

Fiu
CFN

Sent: Mon 4/10/2006 12:55 AM
To: Pete Fiutak
Subject: I-A's vs I-AAs

Pete:

Perhaps you should do a little research before you start your next
column. First off, get the nomenclature correct, if you are going to
write about college football. Teams that play I-AA football are all
Division I football teams. They just have different scholarship
levels than I-A schools (63 to 85) and spend a lot less money than
the I-A schools do. I happened to be in the stadium with over 92,000
fans last November when LSU, which was ranked as high as No. 3 in the
BCS last season at one point, struggled to beat eventual I-AA
national champion Appalachian State. If you look at the score, you
see it was 24-0. If you actually watched the game, you would have
known the score should have been 14-10 heading to the fourth quarter.
The fans, by the way, were well entertained and seemed to enjoy the
game. LSU destroyed North Texas, a I-A team, the week before.
Appalachian State has a better chance than you think to beat North
Carolina State in both teams' season opener in 2006. ASU routinely
popped Wake Forest until the Demon Deacons dropped the Mountaineers
from their schedule. ASU also nearly beat Auburn at Auburn in the
late 1990s. Auburn needed a long TD pass in the final seconds to pull
out a win. I watched Texas State take Texas A&M down to the wire last
season as well. If Texas A&M didn't get some home cooking from the
Big 8 officials, the Aggies would have lost that game. You made some
comments about North Carolina playing Furman. DId you know that the
last time that Furman visited Chapel Hill that the Paladins dominated
the Tar Heels 24-3? Delaware beat a Navy team in 2003 that finished
9-3 and went to a bowl game. The Citadel pulled off a win over
Arkansas in 1990 and there have been a lot more I-AA wins over I-A
schools in recent years. I could go on with other examples, but
hopefully you get the point.

Jacks99
April 10th, 2006, 09:44 AM
So let me see if I get this straight. Teams are nuts not to schedule I-AA games, but I-AA games are a bad idea?

I think he was saying as long as some play them, all should. But he's for no one playing them.

colgate13
April 10th, 2006, 09:49 AM
On Apr 10, 2006, at 10:01 AM, Pete Fiutak wrote:

Of course there are a few examples of D-IAA coming close and even pulling off wins against D-I teams that didn't take the game seriously, and yes, some D-IAAs are better in a given year than about 25 D-Is, but it's still a minor league playing a major league and absolutely no one on a national scale cares about these games.
It's a good thing that on a national scale no one cares about Pete Fiutak's opinion.

fuEMO
April 10th, 2006, 10:02 AM
It's obvious Pete did not have a single conversation with a IA head coach. Tommy Bowden was quoted last year saying he had no interest in playing Furman. It was hard to prepare for them and Clemson had alot to lose, good for Furman the AD still worked out a deal with the Paladins.

I'm picking APP and Furman to deliver a one two punch against the ACC this season. The more matchups we get like this, not the obvious mismatch games improve the odds for IAA wins over the IA schools.

Mr. C
April 10th, 2006, 10:18 AM
You take away the very top of the ACC (the new schools like Florida State and Virginia Tech) and the top SoCon teams would hold their own with the rest of the ACC in a lot of years. Give App State and Furman 22 extra scholies and they would beat teams like North Carolina and N.C. State consistently. I can't wait to see Furman and App pop those two teams this year.

jmuroller
April 10th, 2006, 10:23 AM
I hate idiots like him that always say "D1" and consider 1-AA teams NOT D1.

Cocky
April 10th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Note to everyone:
You can't fight ignorance

blukeys
April 10th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Note to everyone:
You can't fight ignorance
Agreed. As LFN said there are winnable games in his "week off" write up. It can be fun reminding him of his predictions when they go awry but this guy will not be confused by facts. He already knows it all.: smh :

dbackjon
April 10th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Memo to Pete: The reason the I-A teams play the I-AA teams is so they can get HOME games. Connecticut would not want to give up a HOME game, just so they can play Arizona State.

Idiota.

grizband
April 10th, 2006, 11:04 AM
I would imagine that the coaches of I-A schools have more respect for I-AA programs than the national media. The media clowns who spew this are looking to appease the majority of their fans (lets face it alot of I-AA schools are bigger and have broader fan and alumni basis) who think these games are worthless. Few of them ever take the time to do any research on us, and the one's who do are generally surprised at their findings. Last year after the App St./LSU game, I'm sure the LSU players had more respect for App. State than the media. It is really a shame that no matter what we do, some people seem to only want to "put us back in our place."

April 10th, 2006, 11:21 AM
I've had lunch with Pete and I can say for sure that the guy has blinders on and wishes he covered pro football. He knows very little about anything other than the top 25 I-A teams. He should just be quiet about I-AA and keep his ignorance hidden.

bluehenbillk
April 10th, 2006, 11:57 AM
OK, going against the grain here, I agree with Pete. I don't wanna see UD play West Chester or Albany, I wanna see us play power 1-AA's. Think on a national scale people on this board would rather see UD play Montana or UD play West Chester. It's really a simple point. Being a 1-AA fan I like seeing UD play Navy & look forward to going to College Park, MD. But the 1-A fan in me also wants to see more great intersectional matchups, i.e. Texas & Ohio St.

Panther88
April 10th, 2006, 12:05 PM

Thank you.

Where's Texas Terror? Don't run. xlolx

April 10th, 2006, 12:05 PM
... But the 1-A fan in me ...What is 1-A and does it really have fans? xlolx xlolx :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

April 10th, 2006, 12:12 PM
... hypocrisy... How often do people on this board rip other schools for playing D-2 schools or even an smorgasbord of 1-AA non-schollies. It's really the same argument here.No it is not. First of all, Division II is not Division I. Second, scholarship football is very different than non-scholarship. Anyway, I don't see much ripping on I-AA scholly playing I-AA non-scholly. Putz is slamming D-I scholly playing D-I scholly. The only people that agree with him are ignorant I-A fans (no offense to you) who think I-AA is beneath them.

DetroitFlyer
April 10th, 2006, 12:46 PM
I cannot help but read with amusement the discomfort of 1-AA teams being dissed by 1-A media. It is exactly the same thing 1-AA scholarship teams dole out to 1-AA non-scholarship teams.... In both cases, there is a perceived great divide between skill levels of the teams involved. In both cases, the divide is directly dependent on the two teams involved. Also, it is quite true in both cases that 1-A teams almost always beat 1-AA teams and 1-AA scholarship teams almost always beat 1-AA non-scholarship teams. The key words are "almost always". On any given Saturday, anything is possible. If 1-AA scholarship teams do not want to hear how inferior they are, pony up for the full 85 schollys.... Oh wait, this is the same argument I hear all the time about 1-AA non-scholarship, that is pony up for 50 to 63 schollys and then we will not diss your programs or continue to exclude you from our playoffs! Frankly, I find it amusing that the 1-AA scholarship teams are getting a dose of their own medicine!

OL FU
April 10th, 2006, 01:23 PM
I cannot help but read with amusement the discomfort of 1-AA teams being dissed by 1-A media. It is exactly the same thing 1-AA scholarship teams dole out to 1-AA non-scholarship teams.... In both cases, there is a perceived great divide between skill levels of the teams involved. In both cases, the divide is directly dependent on the two teams involved. Also, it is quite true in both cases that 1-A teams almost always beat 1-AA teams and 1-AA scholarship teams almost always beat 1-AA non-scholarship teams. The key words are "almost always". On any given Saturday, anything is possible. If 1-AA scholarship teams do not want to hear how inferior they are, pony up for the full 85 schollys.... Oh wait, this is the same argument I hear all the time about 1-AA non-scholarship, that is pony up for 50 to 63 schollys and then we will not diss your programs or continue to exclude you from our playoffs! Frankly, I find it amusing that the 1-AA scholarship teams are getting a dose of their own medicine!

Detroit, I see both sides. I understand why fans might get upset with Florida State playing a I-AA. However most I-A's are not FSU, USC, or Texas ( I left out quite a few, Miami, Oklahome, ok that's enough). While I-A's do win almost every game, there really is not that much difference between really good I-AA's and mid and lower level I-A's (for at least three quarters, anyway). Also, I can see why you are amused ( as I am a little myself) but it is quite a stretch to compare playing one game to competing in the playoffs. I don't think any team in I-AA expects to get invited to a BCS bowl.

bluehenbillk
April 10th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Detroit I agree with you, people on this board can get caught up in labels like 1-A & 1-AA, but they're 2 different levels of college football. Don't get me wrong, I'm a HUGE college FB fan & enjoy watching both levels, but I completely understand Pete's point.

Example: Being a fan of schools like Michigan & Nebraska, I get zero satisfaction out of Nebraska beating Maine & the same if UM would schedule a 1-AA team. Play some big boys & get my & other fans excitement level jumping.

Retro
April 10th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Save your argument that the best D-IAA teams are better than the bottom 25 D-I teams. I don't care. If they're so good, move up to D-I and then we can talk. Until then, D-I teams should play other D-I teams.

This part is kind of dumb on his part as he doesn't realize that unlike some I-A teams, those better I-AA teams are not pretending to be something their not and that's mainly due to financial reasons. Also, the fact that he uses DIV I to refer to I-A and that I-AA is something separate from DIV I.xidiotx

HensRock
April 10th, 2006, 02:55 PM
However most I-A's are not FSU, USC, or Texas ( I left out quite a few, Miami, Oklahome, ok that's enough).

...and conversely, most I-AA's are not Montana, GSU, FU, or ASU, etc. ( and I left out quite a few too). You have to look at the whole picture. To the outsider, I-AA is Prairie View and St. Francis just as much as Montana and Georgia Southern.

blukeys
April 10th, 2006, 03:17 PM

Glad to see that your amusement comes from other people's discomfort. : smh :
But, I can't let your inaccuracies go unchallenged.

First, No non-scholarship school is excluded from the playoffs. They are eligible for at large bids just as teams from the Big South and Great Western Conferences are . We have debated this subject at length and based on W/L, GPI, and strength of schedule no one has made a case for any Non - Scolly team getting a playoff bid over and above at large teams that have made it. Yet we continully hear the Mantra that non-scolly's are "excluded" when the debate is about a conference auto-bid.

Second, Your comments miss the point of the writer's article. While it is true that the tone of the article is disrespectful to I-AA teams, his recomendation that no I-A team EVER play a I-AA team is what is ridiculous.

To compare it to non-scollies, One would have to write an article stating that NO I-AA scholarship school should ever schedule a non-scolly school.

I no of no one on this board that has made such a proposal which by the way would be very disrespectful to non - scholarship schools.:nod:

Mr. C
April 10th, 2006, 03:22 PM
I would imagine that the coaches of I-A schools have more respect for I-AA programs than the national media. The media clowns who spew this are looking to appease the majority of their fans (lets face it alot of I-AA schools are bigger and have broader fan and alumni basis) who think these games are worthless. Few of them ever take the time to do any research on us, and the one's who do are generally surprised at their findings. Last year after the App St./LSU game, I'm sure the LSU players had more respect for App. State than the media. It is really a shame that no matter what we do, some people seem to only want to "put us back in our place."
Actually, most of the LSU media was extremely respectful of Appalachian State. LSU is probably a little different from the standpoint that they have a very knowledgeable fan base (kind of like St. Louis Cardinals baseball fans) and a pretty good media group as well. From the TV guys, to the radio guys, to the writers, everyone I talked to was very positive about this game.

JBB
April 10th, 2006, 03:35 PM

I agree good point. Exactly why I have never complained about DIIs on the schedule.

April 10th, 2006, 03:51 PM
I agree good point. Exactly why I have never complained about DIIs on the schedule.How is it a good point (since billk won't answer)? Do you think an article about D-I scholly teams shouldn't be playing each other equates to D-I playing D-II or D-I scholly playing D-I non-scholly. Also, where's the pervasive ripping on D-I non-scholly?

I-AA Fan
April 10th, 2006, 05:35 PM

Makes perfect sense to me. If you are told it is okay to play down (it will not hurt you), why not take the easy win and save some money in the process. Isn't this why we play sub-IAA teams?

Scheduled properly (as an opener) it is a large crowd, low payout, guaranteed home game with no reciprocity.

The mere fact that many here are saying..."I hope there are some 'upsets' this year..." tells it all. They should not be playing these games. The ABA did not "hope" to beat NBA clubs...they new the could and did. The AFL did not "hope" to beat teams from the NFL...they new they could and they did (sorry if I am dating myself). I know that I-AA teams cannot compete with the equivelant (in terms of ranking) IA club ...and they won't.

catamount man
April 10th, 2006, 05:41 PM
I agree good point. Exactly why I have never complained about DIIs on the schedule.

Agreed. I don't moan as much as some Catamount fans do when Mars Hill graced our schedule last year and we were somewhat lucky to beat them, winning 21-7. Heck, other than I-AA, give me D2, D3, and even NAIA. I-A is nice, when nothing else is on.xlolx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Cocky
April 10th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Actually, most of the LSU media was extremely respectful of Appalachian State. LSU is probably a little different from the standpoint that they have a very knowledgeable fan base (kind of like St. Louis Cardinals baseball fans) and a pretty good media group as well. From the TV guys, to the radio guys, to the writers, everyone I talked to was very positive about this game.

Plus they get to see McNeese and Northwestern St play the Monroes and Lafayettes of the I-A world. Which would you rather see play LSU or any other BCS school?

darussian12
April 10th, 2006, 05:51 PM
but I-AA games count for a I-A teams bowl qualifications as long as they are what like fully funded in schollies right or is it a set percentage...but D-II games will never help a I-AA get into the playoffs for that 7 win plateau...so i dont see the comparisson of how its a bad idea of I-A vs.I-AA and I-AA vs D-II...in the former a win for either one helps for the post season...and the latter winning isnt going to do anything for the I-AA

UAalum72
April 10th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Also, where's the pervasive ripping on D-I non-scholly?
Come on ralph, how many times has it been posted that the 'mid-majors' are "Division III in disguise", "are only in I-AA because of NCAA rules", "should drop down to Division III if they won't ramp up their scholarships". Those aren't rips?

TheValleyRaider
April 10th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Makes perfect sense to me. If you are told it is okay to play down (it will not hurt you), why not take the easy win and save some money in the process. Isn't this why we play sub-IAA teams?

Scheduled properly (as an opener) it is a large crowd, low payout, guaranteed home game with no reciprocity.

I'm saying I don't completely get his argument. He says both "Let me start off by going on the record with my belief that teams are nuts not to schedule a game against a D-IAA team to start the season...it's crazy not to have a tune up before playing a meaningful game." and then follows that up by saying "However, most dates against D-IAA teams are used to make lots of money with an easy win."

If I were a I-A team, of course I'd like something that could be considered a "tune up" (although which opponent constitutes a "tune up" is debateable). Saying that these tune ups are also "easy wins" not only seems self-evident to me (that's what a tune up is), but also is a rediculous way to make the point he's trying to make, which is that he doesn't want to see I-A vs. I-AA matchups.

This article comes out every year, how if I-A schools A and B dropped their I-AA matchups on this early September weekend, we'd get to see a great I-A game instead. We could go round and round over the merits of "tune ups" and "playing up" and getting home games, etc., but at the very least he could open with a logical statement rather than trying to throw people like us a bone.

blukeys
April 10th, 2006, 09:26 PM
but I-AA games count for a I-A teams bowl qualifications as long as they are what like fully funded in schollies right or is it a set percentage...but D-II games will never help a I-AA get into the playoffs for that 7 win plateau...so i dont see the comparisson of how its a bad idea of I-A vs.I-AA and I-AA vs D-II...in the former a win for either one helps for the post season...and the latter winning isnt going to do anything for the I-AA

That rule was instituted in 2005. Prior to that the rule stated that more than three losses would rule a team out of the playoffs. The 3-loss rule encouraged I-AA teams to schedule below their level for OOC. The current rule instituted in 2005 gives Non-Scolly I-AA's an advantage in scheduling over D-2's in that beating a non-scolly I-AA counts as a Div-1 win wheras a win over a D-2 team giving the 36 scolly max does not.

In short the I-A win over I-AA counts for bowl eligibility but a I-AA win over a D-2 does not help for playoff eligibility. Check with YSU. :nod: :nod:

MR. CHICKEN
April 10th, 2006, 09:37 PM
BLU-BIRD..HOW 'BOUT REPRESENTIN' DUH AVIAN.....WHIFF DA DISPUTE OVERAH MAH NEIGHBOR'S...PROPERTY LINE?........YER GOOD LAD.....CARE TA JOIN MAH TEAM...AT DEBATE CLUB?....................:p....AWK!

April 10th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Come on ralph, how many times has it been posted that the 'mid-majors' are "Division III in disguise", "are only in I-AA because of NCAA rules", "should drop down to Division III if they won't ramp up their scholarships". Those aren't rips?Look who wrote those posts. :cool: Most likely xidiotx

Those are few and far between and I don't think that most informed folks feel that way.

blukeys
April 10th, 2006, 09:46 PM
BLU-BIRD..HOW 'BOUT REPRESENTIN' DUH AVIAN.....WHIFF DA DISPUTE OVERAH MAH NEIGHBOR'S...PROPERTY LINE?........YER GOOD LAD.....CARE TA JOIN MAH TEAM...AT DEBATE CLUB?....................:p....AWK!

Get a really good surveyor and then hire an expensive lawyer full of Hensh** such as Ivytalk. Make the decision to outspend your neighbor. Property in Delaware never goes down in price!!! Especially around Newark! Get a good reasearcher to document all of the Deeds and transactions and the surveys. Also don't worry about relations with the neighbors. SCREW THEM!. If they are taking you to court they obviously don't care about your feelings. Why care about theirs???? :nod: :nod:

bluehenbillk
April 11th, 2006, 07:17 AM
OK, let's cut through all the label BS. Call it Division I or 1-A versus 1-AA. There is a difference between the 117 or so teams in "1-A" and the schools that participate in the 1-AA Playoffs, no one is arguing that I believe, even though Ralph sometimes I think you let your ego interfere with your brain.

Can the top 1-AA schools beat some of the lower 1/2 or 1/3 of 1-A? Sure, history proves that over & over. Can the top 1-AA mid-majors & top D-II schools knock off the lower 1/2 or lower 1/3 of the 1-AA scholly schools? Sure, history proves that too.

I am one of the posters that has ripped my own school among others on playing opponents that are "a step down" such as West Chester, Albany & Monmouth. The Blue Hen fans that feel this way is the majority view when it comes to that subject, whether it's on this board, gohens.net or caazone. I've seen plenty of other schools fans say the same thing & rip UD for playing these schools. It's easy to see (to me anyway) why fans or alums of BCS schools such as the writer of this article want to see more intriguing match-ups versus scheduling "a break" in the schedule.

Will "1-A" schools continue to play "1-AA" schools? Sure. Is there a difference between the 2 levels? Yes. Ralph, you wear that 1-AA all the way T-shirt in your travels, I don't see a Division 1 all the way shirt? There is a difference & you can't blame 1-A fans or alums for saying the same thing the posters on this board, myself included, say about playing teams that are less than 1-AA full scholly teams.

GannonFan
April 11th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Amen to that BHBK - I love IAA just as much as anybody else here, but to not say there is a difference between IA football and IAA football is just silly and idealistic (not that it's bad to be idealistic, but sometimes its just incorrect). And for the record, include ne in the group of people who think that the majority of DIAA non-scholly teams are DIII teams in disguise - certainly not all are, and the Albany's and Stony Brook's of that world, with their aggressive push to add schollies, are proof that not all non-schollies are DIII castouts, but for everyone of those schools there are many more LaSalle's and Iona's and Robert Morris's of the world that despite the same label are playing a different brand of football. I'd love for IAA football to be one big homogenous family of similar football programs but it's just not that way - pretending that it is doesn't change that. And pretending that IAA football isn't that much different in on-field play than the better part of IA football doesn't change the fact that it is. You can still watch and love both - no harm in that.

OL FU
April 11th, 2006, 09:16 AM
...and conversely, most I-AA's are not Montana, GSU, FU, or ASU, etc. ( and I left out quite a few too). You have to look at the whole picture. To the outsider, I-AA is Prairie View and St. Francis just as much as Montana and Georgia Southern.

And I think that was my point. Furman plays Va Tech in a couple of years. That would not be my choice. We play North Carolina this year and have a decent shot at winning. Good Choice It is all relative to the strength of the teams regardless of how many A'a are in the classification.

April 11th, 2006, 10:20 AM
... sometimes I think you let your ego interfere with your brain... I am one of the posters that has ripped my own school among others on playing opponents that are "a step down" such as West Chester, Albany & Monmouth... I don't see a Division 1 all the way shirt?...Sometimes I think you let your ego interfere with your brain. :read: Albany and Monmouth offer scholarships in D-I so belittle them all you want but they are not "a step down." :nono: Maybe you can print up some "1"-A all the way shirts. xlolx

bluehenbillk
April 11th, 2006, 10:51 AM
If they're not offering anywhere near the max amount of schollies that 1-AA schools can get, I'd say in a millisecond they are a step down, period.