PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings (9-5)

JALMOND
September 6th, 2011, 04:59 PM
So I'll give you all the first shot at these as your poll is out now. Quite an opening weekend for the Big Sky, complete with upsets, near misses and great indications as to how competitive this conference has become. If the opening weekend is any indication, this year is going to be exciting and interesting. Here are this week's power rankings for the Big Sky conference. This week (last week). As usual, all are my opinion only and all are open for discussion. Some surprises for sure!

1. Eastern Washington (1)---Four turnovers on the road against the Pac-12 usually means disaster for the Eagles. However, complete with a cool, calm quarterback at the helm, the Eagles took Washington to the last play of the game before succumbing. This week finds the defending national champion back at their level, on the road at South Dakota. Chances are that it won't be nearly as hostile, but their first true test of the defending national champs and as the hunted.

2. Sacramento State (4)---Eyes are now opened and national recognition is on the doorstep for the once conference doormat. The Hornets took all Oregon State had, including a stellar performance by the heir appointee to Jacquizz Rodgers, went for broke in overtime, and left with a big win over the Beavers. Questions about if the Hornets are for real apparently were answered. Any more will be answered this weekend as they head to Southern Utah. Fluke or for real.

3. Montana State (2)---A sign of things to come should have been apparent last Thursday as the Bobcats were very competitive against the Pac-12 newcomer Utah. Playing at the FCS level should yield much better results for the Bobcats than stepping up to the Pac-12, even if it was a good showing. This weekend, they play their home opener against future conference opponent UC-Davis, hoping that the circumstances of 2006 do not come into play.

4. Montana (3)---As practically everyone was playing above their heads in the conference, the Grizzlies stepped into SEC land and took their beating against Tennessee. Still, questions about the Grizzlies offense may have been answered as they were able to move and score on Tennessee. This week, an easier time for sure as Cal Poly comes to town. An easier time does not necessarily mean a sure win, though.

5. Weber State (6)---Many questions on both sides of the ball and an FBS opponent coming up usually means a tough game ahead for the Wildcats. But with confidence and the FBS team being Wyoming, it was not the typical tough game everyone envisioned as the Wildcats took the Cowboys down to the wire. Did they get some things answered? This week they play instate FBS rival Utah State who had their own good fortune, losing to BCS national champion Auburn on an onside kick.

6 Northern Arizona (5)---Like the Grizzlies, the Lumberjacks ended their game pretty much as expected, a blowout loss to the Pac-12's Arizona team. The only positives is to get some film on everyone and make decisions based on that. The Lumberjacks get another chance for film study as they welcome DII Fort Lewis to their home dome. 1-1 is about where everyone expected them anyway, right?

7. Portland State (8)---Face it, losses are still losses, no matter how close. Therefore wins are wins, no matter the outcome, right. Last week, the Vikings welcomed NAIA's Southern Oregon to christen their new stadium and sent them home with a resounding victory. A big victory over an overmatched team. This week gives the Vikings extra time to bask in the idea of beating an NAIA team.

8. Idaho State (7)---So, yes, it was going to be bad with the Bengals playing the Pac-12's Washington State team. To stay close (or even win) would have opened some eyes across the conference footprint. So the Bengals made sure they can still play in relative obscurity. This week, they entertain DII's Western State, the same patsy that Montana had opened with the previous two years. Can the Bengals get the same result?

9. Northern Colorado (9)---As the conference was flexing its muscles against teams that, on paper, were much more better, the Bears were being pushed around by the NAIA's Lindenwood team. It does not bode well for the Bears, especially seeing how better the conference is. For as bad as it was, the Bears do have a chance to redeem themselves by getting a win this weekend against the FBS's Colorado State team. Then again, it could get ugly in a hurry.

A quick rundown...1-3 pretty close with 4 not far behind. 5-6 pretty even. 7-8 pretty close and 9 falling behind.

veinup
September 6th, 2011, 05:28 PM
nice rundown. agree with your rankings. worried about cal poly @ montana on saturday. :\

alvinkayak6
September 6th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Pretty solid overall. Montana State might still be number 2. Utah is probably better than Oregon State by quite a bit...or at least Oregon State starts slow.

wapiti
September 7th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I agree with your ranking this week. Sac. State W over OSU was a big victory and propels them to 2nd place and would have been first except that EWU barely squeeked a loss to UW.

I Bleed Purple
September 7th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Would Weber have been in front of Montana if we would have won in Laramie?

Shouldn't matter. Sep. 17 is hopefully when Weber will get credit.

wapiti
September 8th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I would have moved Weber over Montana had Weber won. As it is, Weber is just a smidgen behind Montana.

Who would-of thunk, Montana almost down to 5th place in Big Sky power rankings.
But we only have opening weekend of games to base it on

JALMOND
September 8th, 2011, 10:35 AM

I would have had to think about it. "Rocky Top" is definitely not the cream of the SEC, but they are still SEC and Montana did a fairly good job. Hoke was impressive as well. I've got my eye on him now.