PDA

View Full Version : Question about rankings and FBS v. FCS

Grizzaholic
September 6th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I am confused about how to rank FCS teams that play FBS teams.

I see this posted after a win over a FBS, "we should be ranked higher, we should have moved up more, we beat a FBS team and we should get more respect"

And then I see this posted after a loss to a FBS team, " losses against FBS shouldn't count as much as a loss to a FCS team, people put too much into losses against FBS teams"

SO which is it? You cannot have it both ways.

side note: I hope I posted those correctly and you understand what I am attempting to say.

Skjellyfetti
September 6th, 2011, 04:17 PM
And then I see this posted after a loss to a FBS team, " losses against FBS shouldn't count as much as a loss to a FCS team, people put too much into losses against FBS teams"

Well, considering this is the playoff committee's stance... I'll go with this one.

Grizzaholic
September 6th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Well, considering this is the playoff committee's stance... I'll go with this one.

So...If you beat a FBS team it should count no more than a win against a FCS team, and vice-a-avers?

DJKyR0
September 6th, 2011, 04:21 PM
It's entirely subjective. I submit my poll based on how I think teams would fare and don't necessarily "penalize" teams. If I think a 66-13 score against App. State shows me something about App. St., I'm going to reflect that on their ranking. Same with SFA's 88-point defeat of some D-II school.

Grizzaholic
September 6th, 2011, 04:22 PM
It's entirely subjective. I submit my poll based on how I think teams would fare and don't necessarily "penalize" teams. If I think a 66-13 score against App. State shows me something about App. St., I'm going to reflect that on their ranking. Same with SFA's 88-point defeat of some D-II school.

D-III.

DJKyR0
September 6th, 2011, 04:24 PM
D-III.

Even better.

PantherRob82
September 6th, 2011, 04:24 PM

Well stated. It's VERY subjective. I had the pleasure to watch two of these games in person this weekend. It's a lot easier to make an evaluation if you watch the game, rather than just see the score. It all balances out in the end anyway.

Skjellyfetti
September 6th, 2011, 04:25 PM
So...If you beat a FBS team it should count no more than a win against a FCS team, and vice-a-avers?

No.

The committee chairman said last year that FBS wins help you. FBS losses do not hurt you.

This was in response to #1 Appalachian State getting pummeled by Florida. That loss did not change their seeding.

Grizzaholic
September 6th, 2011, 04:44 PM
No.

The committee chairman said last year that FBS wins help you. FBS losses do not hurt you.

This was in response to #1 Appalachian State getting pummeled by Florida. That loss did not change their seeding.

Dumb rule

TheValleyRaider
September 6th, 2011, 05:21 PM
No.

Well, of course it didn't. That year, App had a full season's worth of resume to rank them on that a loss to a team people knew was near the top of the FBS pile wouldn't change much

At this point, with only 1 game to go on, it's hard to get an accurate picture. What the poll really needs are voters who re-evaluate their rankings as they get more evidence, rather than shifting up and down just based on a single win or loss. Of course, the fact the poll is taking place in Week 2 diminishes the small amount of impact it has, but that's a different story altogether

Grizzaholic
September 6th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Well, of course it didn't. That year, App had a full season's worth of resume to rank them on that a loss to a team people knew was near the top of the FBS pile wouldn't change much

At this point, with only 1 game to go on, it's hard to get an accurate picture. What the poll really needs are voters who re-evaluate their rankings as they get more evidence, rather than shifting up and down just based on a single win or loss. Of course, the fact the poll is taking place in Week 2 diminishes the small amount of impact it has, but that's a different story altogether

Excellent post. I agree with all of this.

bjtheflamesfan
September 6th, 2011, 05:24 PM
my personal feeling has been that an FBS loss isnt going to affect you all that much when I sit down to work on my rankings. FCS teams are expected to lose to FBS teams so why mark a team lower because they did what they were expected to do? Now normaly an FBS win will certainly trend you upward in my poll (although I made an error in not moving Sacramento State after their win over Oregon State last week) but other than that it wont affect the ranking for the next week in my book unless there was some serious activity elsewhere in the poll