PDA

View Full Version : Couple of BCS Coaches on the Hot Seat: Any great FCS Coaches Waiting in the Wings?

Catatonic
September 6th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Georgia, UCLA, Ole Miss...and a couple of others may be looking for a new head coach soon....Any great FCS coaches successfully make the transition to BCS in your opinion?

Lots of good assistant coaches from the NFL, other BCS schools and lower tier (read: lower paid) FBS schools....but FCS coaches have been a fertile breeding ground for BCS coaching spots in the past. What cha think? Any Jim Tressel's out there?

DFW HOYA
September 6th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Dick Biddle (Colgate), but probably not interested
Tim Murphy (Harvard)
Bobby Wilder (Old Dominion)
Rod Broadway (NC A&T)

crusader11
September 6th, 2011, 10:46 AM
I've always thought K.C. Keeler (Delaware) would be an attractive candidate.

TheValleyRaider
September 6th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Dick Biddle (Colgate), but probably not interested

Biddle supposedly almost left after 2003 for the Duke job, but then their interim coach beat UNC, so they kept him on board. At this point, I find it hard to believe Biddle would leave, mostly because he's in his 60s and probably isn't a very attractive candidate, especially at a BCS school who will want the next, hotshot young guy

At this point, I would be shocked if his leaving Colgate is anything other than retirement

asumike83
September 6th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Rod Broadway (NC A&T)

I have heard good things about him and will be able to make a little better judgement after I see his squad in person this Saturday. One thing is for sure, he has a BCS-caliber name!

whoanellie
September 6th, 2011, 11:16 AM
for an example this past weekend, Ball State's Pete Lembo formerly of Elon did win his opener against Indiana
27-20. How do you like them Apples?

blueballs
September 6th, 2011, 11:17 AM
The coach at UNH would have to get some love too...

KAUMASS
September 6th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Hopefully McDonnel will be coaching at UMass next year. I wanted him 3 years ago.. Morris is gone if he's not over 6-5.

Franks Tanks
September 6th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Biddle is 62 I believe-- the FBS ship has probably sailed for him.

Chris Peterson to UCLA talk has already started, but I don't know if he leaves.

Keeler is an obvious choice, but he is a Delaware alum and already gets paid low level FBS salary. I think Gilmore is terrific, but jumping from the PL right to FBS may not work. Guys like Lembo and Clausen had a stop in between.

Squealofthepig
September 6th, 2011, 10:19 PM
for an example this past weekend, Ball State's Pete Lembo formerly of Elon did win his opener against Indiana
27-20. How do you like them Apples?

Err, it's Indiana? (Kudos for the win, but Indiana is a perennial bottom 10 dweller).

superman7515
September 6th, 2011, 10:32 PM
I have heard good things about him and will be able to make a little better judgement after I see his squad in person this Saturday. One thing is for sure, he has a BCS-caliber name!

He's only had one game with them and they were 1-10 last season. Don't blame the man for what you see this weekend, haha. Have to give him a couple of seasons to recruit.

superman7515
September 6th, 2011, 10:34 PM
I've always thought K.C. Keeler (Delaware) would be an attractive candidate.

UD Review - Sept. 6, 2011 (http://www.udreview.com/keeler-celebrates-10-years-coaching-blue-hens-1.2575622?pagereq=1)

At Delaware, Keeler said he is merely carrying the torch of its football tradition that Tubby passed to him. But Keeler's success, despite last season's ending, has left some to wonder, will he pass on that torch soon?

"I think I'm at the position in my career where I'd be foolish not to listen to something," Keeler said in reference to new coaching offers. "I think it'd be really difficult for me to leave unless its one of those ‘top 10' jobs – those UNCs, those Penn States, those Notre Dames."

Despite the school's well-known athletic teams, the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill is not considered a premier football-coaching job. The Tar Heels fired head coach Butch Davis on July 27, and Keeler could be a candidate for the job by season's end.

crusader11
September 6th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Thanks for posting, super. Keeler is a helluva coach and is young enough the FBS schools would pay him the necessary $ to attract him.

LIONFAN07
September 7th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I think Matt Viator at McNeese will get a chance at one of those jobs one day. I think he is great coach.

FormerPokeCenter
September 7th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Shhhhhshhhhhhh........

Matt's a perfect fit for McNeese....he grew up in the program...His dad played at McNeese and coached there, plus, his "Uncle," Don Breaux, the long-time Redskin OC for Joe Gibbs, was his Dad's teammate and good friend.

Matt's grandfather on his Momma's side was a standout HS coach and has a couple of stadiums named after him in SWLA, so he comes by it honestly...

We're hoping he continues to fly under the radar....At least until we manage to finally get one of those flags like you see flying in Statesboro, Boone and Missoula...

LIONFAN07
September 7th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I guess that is the only thing holding him back from getting a big job is his lack of postseason success. If he gets that I wouldn't be surprised if he is offered a big job. I know USL showed interest but he is smart not to take that job. USL is a step back from McNeese or any other Louisiana FCS for that matter IMO.xlolxxlolx

bojeta
September 7th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Don't even!!! We lost Ellerson to Army after the 2008 season. I like Walsh so far though. I think he plans on staying quite a while.