PDA

View Full Version : What does it really mean to IMPRESS During spring Scrimmage

Stang Fever
April 8th, 2006, 06:25 PM
I have been reading several articles about i-aa teams around the nation rapping up there spring camps, and it seems that everyone always says things like School X looks real good, School Y finishes out strong in final scrimmage....this cant be true for everyteam out there...because year in and year out a lot of these teams that say things like this end up Well below 5 hundered, and yes a lot of teams end up well above 5 hundred....

What i want to know is why do people put out things like that when they know there team is going to be terrible next year

TexasTerror
April 8th, 2006, 06:32 PM
What i want to know is why do people put out things like that when they know there team is going to be terrible next year

How does one know that their team is going to be terrible next season? I thought everyone comes into the season thinking their team has a chance to do something. What happened to 'Any Given Saturday'?

I-AA is full of surprises. We've had teams picked at the bottom of their conference come out and compete (and win) their conference title. Happens each year. Transfers, redshirts, freshmen, changes in coaches and all sorts of crazy factors lend to that much...

Remember Nicholls St last year? They were picked at the bottom of the SLC, went on to win the conference and lost to Furman 14-12 in a game in which Nicholls St should've even won!

Yes, saying a team was "impressive" may be exaggerating in some cases, but how is one to know their team is going to be awful?

Tod
April 8th, 2006, 06:39 PM
How does one know that their team is going to be terrible next season? I thought everyone comes into the season thinking their team has a chance to do something. What happened to 'Any Given Saturday'?

I-AA is full of surprises. We've had teams picked at the bottom of their conference come out and compete (and win) their conference title. Happens each year. Transfers, redshirts, freshmen, changes in coaches and all sorts of crazy factors lend to that much...

Remember Nicholls St last year? They were picked at the bottom of the SLC, went on to win the conference and lost to Furman 14-12 in a game in which Nicholls St should've even won!

Yes, saying a team was "impressive" may be exaggerating in some cases, but how is one to know their team is going to be awful?

Good response.

This brings up another problem, too. When we count on AGS posters to provide an analysis of their team for the upcoming season, everybody on this board says "7-4 at worst, 9-2 at best".

While I understand that most of the people on this board are fans of the traditionally stronger teams, it doesn't do much good when actually sitting down to do your pre-season top 25.

Mountain Panther
April 8th, 2006, 06:41 PM

I agree somewhat. A lot of it is pure propaganda. UNI never put out a press release that said "Panthers Experience Worst Spring Game Ever."

TexasTerror
April 8th, 2006, 06:41 PM
While I understand that most of the people on this board are fans of the traditionally stronger teams, it doesn't do much good when actually sitting down to do your pre-season top 25.

Yet, we still have done better than all the other pre-season polls in recent memory, have we not? I think besides the "fluff" we see from other fans, many of us can read right through it and for the most part are more informed than the coaches, SIDs and media who do not have the time to learn all about the land of I-AA...

April 8th, 2006, 06:51 PM
I think it's funny that in most Georgia Southern press releases the coach is talking about being disappointed and all the mistakes... :) It's like the ol' McNeese sandbagging... hahahahaa

Tribe4SF
April 8th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Good response.

This brings up another problem, too. When we count on AGS posters to provide an analysis of their team for the upcoming season, everybody on this board says "7-4 at worst, 9-2 at best".

You won't hear 7-4 at worst from me! After our finish last year, we have to re-earn respect.

This is the time of year to be familiarizing yourself with teams' personnel, and getting a feel for who may improve, and who may slide. The homer stuff is pretty easy to pick through. Most of us know who gives at least relatively objective info on their team. Just ignore any evaluation that includes the words "beast" or "monster".

Tod
April 8th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Yet, we still have done better than all the other pre-season polls in recent memory, have we not? I think besides the "fluff" we see from other fans, many of us can read right through it and for the most part are more informed than the coaches, SIDs and media who do not have the time to learn all about the land of I-AA...

I agree. Just need to do a bit more research. I lot of it has to do with where they finished last season, plus how many returners/key losses. It's the Texas States that get you. This year I think it will be Idaho State (at least one of them).

April 8th, 2006, 07:38 PM
I'll keep trying to get guests for I-AA WAVES that will help in the analysis. Deriso did well for the SWAC, James did well for the Ivy, Laney did well for the SLC, etc. More to come.

Stang Fever
April 8th, 2006, 08:18 PM

Well of coursse on anygiven saturday any team can win....However im talking about the teams that cant do that week in and week out....upsets happen all the time...but these bottom teams dont just win week in and week out...so thats why i ask...

also every practice cant be good there is no way...but every article says something about how great the practice was..

April 8th, 2006, 08:22 PM
spring ball is for new players and plays... and also to sell tickets of course!

Ronbo
April 8th, 2006, 08:30 PM
I'm not sure how our staff really feels because we get the same sound bites. But at the scrimmages I have noticed they are smiling from ear to ear. Hmmm.... wonder what that means? LOL:smiley_wi

TexasTerror
April 8th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Well of coursse on anygiven saturday any team can win....However im talking about the teams that cant do that week in and week out....upsets happen all the time...but these bottom teams dont just win week in and week out...so thats why i ask...

So, how do you know your a "bottom team"? The folks in Thibodaux have been used to being 'bottom feeders' in the SLC as have the folks in San Marcos at Texas St - San Marcos for most of the last 20 years. But guess what, both those teams split the SLC title.

The folks in San Marcos are just as optimistic as the folks in Missoula or Statesboro or for that matter, Bozeman or Boone. Finally, after all this wait, that excitement and optimism came to reality. You just never know, do you?

Why should Idaho St not feel optimistic about this season? Why not Sacramento St? Or James Madison? Sam Houston St? South Carolina St? Heck, even Central Arkansas? Or what about Texas Southern, a team that I believe, is 1-20 the last two years?

No one knows what to expect. You can make predictions up and down, preseason polls, water cooler talk, but it all doesn't matter when that football season begins at the end of August and the games are played on the field. What's the point of playing if you don't have optimism? I-AA football is not the MLB where you know half the teams are eliminated at the beginning. Lehigh and Cal Poly have just as good a shot as Delaware St or Stephen F Austin at winning the national title on day one. It may seem like a far shot, but it could happen...haven't we been surprised at who's been in the playoffs each year?

slostang
April 8th, 2006, 08:40 PM
How many season tickets will a team sell if they say we are going to be bad next year? They try to build excitement about their team to sell tickets. Every team has a least a couple of strengths to hype for the next season.

nlwwln
April 8th, 2006, 08:46 PM
beleive none of what you hear and half of what you see:rotateh:

McNeese72
April 8th, 2006, 08:54 PM
I think it's funny that in most Georgia Southern press releases the coach is talking about being disappointed and all the mistakes... :) It's like the ol' McNeese sandbagging... hahahahaa

Sandbagging???

We had our spring game and all of our WR's suck. But it doesn't matter because we don't have any Qb's that could get them the ball. :smiley_wi

McNeese Spring Game Pictures (http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/sg06.asp)

Later, Doc

P.S. I find that it is really hard to tell how good you are until you start playing other teams.

MR. CHICKEN
April 8th, 2006, 08:56 PM
'72..THANX FO' DUH CLUE.....AH'M PICKIN' DUH 'BOYS UPPER TIER....AWK!

Stang Fever
April 8th, 2006, 09:11 PM
I would argue there is a difference between bein Optimistic and being Realistic

Of course anyone can win and be in high HOPES for the season...but doesnt mean that you are going to win...lets take Savannah St. Could they come here and kick Poly's but this season...its possible...thats why its played on the field...but that would be one victory

But to be more Realistic is that Savannah St is going to win maybe 5 games this season and thats a more realistic goal...to be over Optimistic and say they are going to win a national title or go to the playoffs is Crazy and you would need to jump off the highest building that you are on if u thiink other wise...(please dont take that statment as me trying to be mean or a smart ass, just trying to make my point)....this all is coming from watchig to see how they have upgraded there team and recruited...the odds would be staked against them the odds would be something like 1 - 1000 to win around 9 games if the schedule is Playoff worthy (yes they could play all the cup cakes they wanted and win 9 games...but hold on they are a cup cake team...so its not going to happen) Being Realistic

I want to try to compare it to what some teachers do in class...they give everyone 100% all the points required to recieve an A+...you know cause its more realistic that there is no way on earth everyone gets a 100% at the end of the class length...

April 8th, 2006, 09:18 PM
...haven't we been surprised at who's been in the playoffs each year?Well you know I had to investigate that! :)

Out of 80 possible bids in the I-AA playoffs the last five years (2001-2005) just 40 teams have made it:
# of appearances - (number of teams)
5 - (1) Montana
4 - (3) Furman, Georgia Southern, Western Kentucky
3 - (6) Appalachian State, Eastern Illinois, McNeese State, Northern Iowa, Northwestern State, Southern Illinois
2 - (15) Bethune-Cookman, Colgate, Delaware, Eastern Washington, Hampton, Jacksonville State, Lafayette , Lehigh, Maine, Montana State, New Hampshire, Northern Arizona, Sam Houston State, Western Illinois, William & Mary
1 - (15) Cal Poly, Florida A&M, Florida Atlantic, Fordham, Hofstra, James Madison, Massachusetts, Murray St., Nicholls State, North Carolina A&T, Northeastern, Richmond, Texas State, Villanova, Wofford

Stang Fever
April 8th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Well you know I had to investigate that! :)

Out of 80 possible bids in the I-AA playoffs the last five years (2001-2005) just 40 teams have made it:
5 - (1) Montana
3 - (6) Appalachian State, Eastern Illinois,McNeese State,Northern Iowa,Northwestern State,Southern Illinois
2 - (15) Bethune-Cookman, Colgate, Delaware, Eastern Washington, Hampton, Jacksonville State, Lafayette , Lehigh, Maine, Montana State, New Hampshire, Northern Arizona, Sam Houston State, Western Illinois, William & Mary
1 - (15) Cal Poly, Florida A&M, Florida Atlantic, Fordham, Hofstra, James Madison, Massachusetts, Murray St., Nicholls State, North Carolina A&T, Northeastern, Richmond, Texas State, Villanova, Wofford

what does this prove?????? I dont understand your point...i dont know how you find this stuff...

April 8th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Don't have a point, just some stats...

80 bids - 35 by 10 teams, 30 by 15 other teams, 15 by 15 other teams.

check out the playoff coverage at I-AA.org:
http://i-aa.org/section_front.asp?arttypeid=594

MR. CHICKEN
April 8th, 2006, 09:40 PM
CAL-PIE.......AH WOULDN'T DO DAT IFIN'......AH WERE YOU.....:eek:....AWK!

MR. CHICKEN
April 8th, 2006, 09:41 PM
CAL-PIE...CALLIN' OUT STAT MAN IS UH VERAH BIG MISTAKE....:eek:...AWK!

Stang Fever
April 8th, 2006, 09:44 PM
CAL-PIE...CALLIN' OUT STAT MAN IS UH VERAH BIG MISTAKE....:eek:...AWK!

Correction was not calling him out...just didnt understant the post...tried to make that clear whe i wrote it

April 8th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Champs in bold... Runnerup in Italics...

5 - (1) Montana
3 - (6) Appalachian State, Eastern Illinois, McNeese State, Northern Iowa, Northwestern State, Southern Illinois

80 bids - 35 by 10 teams (3 champs, 7 finals), 30 by 15 other teams (1 champ, 2 finals), 15 by 15 other teams (1 champ, 1 final).

Naw Stang Fever, you know I'm just inquisitive... :nod:

MR. CHICKEN
April 8th, 2006, 09:55 PM
AH CAL-PIE...YA WENT AN' DID IT...........NOW DUH CHICKEN GOTS NUMBERS....ON DA NOODLE!.........AH'LL BE COUNTIN' COLLEGES...INSTEAD O' SHEEP..............MONTANA 5....FURMAN 4....SALUKIS 3..........BILL & MARE 2......CAL-POLY....ZZZZZZZZZZ!

blukeys
April 8th, 2006, 10:18 PM
spring ball is for new players and plays... and also to sell tickets of course!

It is my understanding from those who have played the game that this is true. The main goal of spring ball is to evaluate the new talent and see where they might make a fit. Established players do not get as much work. For instance no one needs to know what Omar Cuff can do at UD. To drill him too much and risk a career ending injury is just plain stupid.

Coaches are must impressed with progress. So when someone says that Player A impressed he may just be saying that the player made more progress than others in the same situation. The guy might not even start if his progress does not keep up thru summer and preseason practices.

Every team is a work in progress. A team can look great in Sept. and then fold in November. Regardless of what they say to the press during the season coaches are basically optimists at heart. They believe that they can get the most out of a player and are willing to try and do just that. You have to be an optimist to stay in the business. When you consider all the things that can go wrong you would go crazy if you didn't look at the bright side. .

Ronbo
April 8th, 2006, 10:27 PM
AH CAL-PIE...YA WENT AN' DID IT...........NOW DUH CHICKEN GOTS NUMBERS....ON DA NOODLE!.........AH'LL BE COUNTIN' COLLEGES...INSTEAD O' SHEEP..............MONTANA 5....FURMAN 4....SALUKIS 3..........BILL & MARE 2......CAL-POLY....ZZZZZZZZZZ!

How's the ol' Mr. Chicken snore? ZZZZZZ...Brawk! ZZZZZZZ.....Brawk! ZZZZZ...Brawk!

ButlerGSU
April 8th, 2006, 10:46 PM

With EVERYTHING changing, we really are sandbagging.

April 8th, 2006, 10:49 PM
With EVERYTHING changing, we really are sandbagging.riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiight :smiley_wi

DaGriz
April 9th, 2006, 10:05 AM
School X looks real good, School Y finishes out strong in final scrimmage....

Last year we were school Z. We looked like crap in the scrimmages. I think at one of our final scrimmages we had a total of 50 passing yards. There might not have been a td pass in all our scrimmages combined and we ended up 8-4 and tied for the BCS. With a more experienced team this year, it would be tough to be any worse than we were, so I think we have a good chance this year. If you want to know who is going to fall, read between the lines. In my opinion the QB in college ball can make or break the team. If a team lost a big time QB, they are probably going to struggle, at least early. A team like UNH that has a senior QB and senior WR will probably have a great year. Cal Poly's QB goes down hurt and the backup doesn't lose a beat, they are probably set as well.

April 9th, 2006, 11:59 AM
UNH's QB Santos is a junior but WR Ball is a senior.

McNeese75
April 9th, 2006, 01:52 PM

:D