PDA

View Full Version : What has ODU done?

aceinthehole
September 5th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Certainly, they can sell tickets - their attendence is impressive.

But who have they beat that is worth a single vote in any top-25 poll?

2011:
Campbell (PFL) - 7-28 record over the last 3 seasons

2010:
W at Campbell, 44-13 (3-8, tied 7th Pioneer)
W at Monmouth, 35-21 (3-8, tied 6th NEC)
W vs. Gardner-Webb, 14-7 (4-7, tied 4th Big South)
W vs. Georgia State, 34-20 (6-5, Independent)
W at Hampton, 28-14 (6-5, tied 4th MEAC)
W vs. Savannah State, 57-9 (1-10, Independent)
W vs. Va Military, 45-28 (3-8, tied 4th Big South)
W at NC Central, 33-21 (3-8, Independent)

2009:
W vs. Chowan, 36-21 (D-II)
W vs. Virginia Union, 49-17 (D-II)
W at Jacksonville, 28-27 (7-4, tied 3rd Pioneer)
W vs. Presbyterian, 34-16 (0-11, 7th Big South)
W vs. Campbell, 28-17 (3-8, 8th Pioneer)
W at Savannah State, 38-17 (2-8, Independent)
W vs. Georgetown, 31-10 (0-11, 7th Patriot)
W vs. NC Central, 42-28 (4-7, Independent)
W at Va Military, 42-35 (2-9, Big South)

In 2+ seasons, their "best" win is vs. a 4th place AQ conference team? xeyebrowx

TheBisonator
September 5th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Oh this thread is gonna be fun...

danefan
September 5th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Oh this thread is gonna be fun...

Actually, the ODU fans I've interacted with seem pretty realistic about their team. Especially when compared to some other startups.

crusader11
September 5th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Ace is just beside himself that a team other than CCSU could actually receive votes and/or be ranked.

crusader11
September 5th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Oh, and for the record, I had ODU at about #30 in this week's poll.

danefan
September 5th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Ace is just beside himself that a team other than CCSU could actually receive votes and/or be ranked.

You should read his posts more closely. He's said, in no uncertain terms, that CCSU is not a Top 25 team yet.

crusader11
September 5th, 2011, 08:04 PM
You should read his posts more closely. He's said, in no uncertain terms, that CCSU is not a Top 25 team yet.

Reading in between the lines made me believe that this somehow had NEC / CCSU connotations to it. My bad if it didn't...

aceinthehole
September 5th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Oh I'm ready for some reasonable discussion, if that is possible here. This isn't about my team or the NEC, it is about ODU.

I'm mean really, how can anyone vote ODU this week ahead of fellow CAA schools URI, Maine, Towson?

Dayton opened up on the road at a playoff team from last year (RMU) and beat them this year and last year. How is that not worthy of a top-25 ranking?

Delaware State opened on the road and beat VMI - arguably the best win ODU has in 2+ years - so why aren't the Hornets getting more votes than ODU?

URMite
September 5th, 2011, 08:31 PM
I think a lot of the respect is coming from the visibility of the game vs W&M and their performance in it without a win. Some accolades for individual players helps too. But any talk of the top 25 is very premature.

straightshooter
September 5th, 2011, 08:40 PM
They're playing another chest beater team this week in Georgia State.

bjtheflamesfan
September 5th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I said this in the poll release discussion:

I will say in full disclosure that the fact that they are my hometown team (lives 26 years in Portsmouth, VA and ODU was my number 1 choice all through my college process. That said, I also considered recent history (like the last two or three seasons) when I got down to my last 5 spots. I was very much coming down to Sacramento State or South Dakota State for my 25 spot.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 5th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Oh I'm ready for some reasonable discussion, if that is possible here. This isn't about my team or the NEC, it is about ODU.

I'm mean really, how can anyone vote ODU this week ahead of fellow CAA schools URI, Maine, Towson?

Dayton opened up on the road at a playoff team from last year (RMU) and beat them this year and last year. How is that not worthy of a top-25 ranking?

Delaware State opened on the road and beat VMI - arguably the best win ODU has in 2+ years - so why aren't the Hornets getting more votes than ODU?

ODU is new, they have a huge fanbase, they are in a region that seems to have a lot of football success, and they are in a top FCS conference. I think a lot of people are giving them the benefit of the doubt. Let's all keep this in perspective - they are in the middle of the 'also received votes' section, not even ranked.

I do agree that URI, Maine, and Towson probably deserve a little more attention until ODU proves themselves. Towson is still a very young team though, and has been at or near the bottom of the CAA almost every season. Delaware State has traditionally been at or near the bottom of a weak FCS conference. Dayton is non-scholly, so that hurts them in the polls.

aceinthehole
September 5th, 2011, 09:07 PM
ODU is new, they have a huge fanbase, they are in a region that seems to have a lot of football success, and they are in a top FCS conference. I think a lot of people are giving them the benefit of the doubt. Let's all keep this in perspective - they are in the middle of the 'also received votes' section, not even ranked.

I do agree that URI, Maine, and Towson probably deserve a little more attention until ODU proves themselves. Towson is still a very young team though, and has been at or near the bottom of the CAA almost every season. Delaware State has traditionally been at or near the bottom of a weak FCS conference. Dayton is non-scholly, so that hurts them in the polls.

I know why they are getting these votes, the question is do they really deserve it? And while it may not matter to UD fans, this comes at the expense of many other teams.

As recently as last season, Maine and URI beat UNH (currently ranked in the top-15).
Towson has a new coach blew out a scholarship MEAC team.
Delaware State won on the road and has been in the playoffs as recently as 2007.
Dayton beat RMU (last year's NEC playoff representative) for the 2nd year in a row.

ODU may become a great program in short order, but to date they've done nothing to warrant top-25 votes. If they want they can hang an attendence banner like the Washington Mystics, but they should earn their votes - everyone else has to.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 5th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I know why they are getting these votes, the question is do they really deserve it? And while it may not matter to UD fans, this comes at the expense of many other teams.

As recently as last season, Maine and URI beat UNH (currently ranked in the top-15).
Delaware State won on the road and has been in the playoffs as recently as 2007.
Dayton beat RMU (last year's NEC playoff representative) for the 2nd year in a row.

ODU may become a great program in short order, but to date they've done nothing to warrant top-25 votes. If they want they can hang an attendence banner like the Washington Mystics, but they should earn their votes - everyone else has to.

My point was that this early in the polls it's as much about what you expect or think a team can do as what they have done. There are teams currently ranked that won't be in a couple weeks, and some unranked teams that will move into the rankings at the same time. It's a work in progress, and at the end of the day success on the field will give the worthy competitors their chance in the playoffs regardless of what the polls say.

JMUNJ08
September 5th, 2011, 09:27 PM

There are always some pretenders voted in the top 25. We are all more familiar with our own regions and conferences than others. Remember, we had these same conversations about Jacksonville Dolphins and Robert Morris Colonials last year as more teams kept losing and they kept winning. Clearly, Jax didn't deserve a playoff spot by the committee and RM had troubles against other half way decent teams. Did I vote them high in last year's poll? Many times. Until we see a team exposed, its tough to judge all teams evenly when some are 63 schollies/ 1-62 / or non-scholly. ODU has 2 winning seasons in 2 years against competition that is below par but still is rather impressive to me. A good win over GaSt. this weekend and I think we can see who really is making progress...

Dane96
September 5th, 2011, 09:29 PM
I said this in the poll release discussion:

Wait a second...you were contemplating SAC STATE FOR 25.

Your privileges should be revoked...seriously. That is an absolute disgrace. They just beat a PAC-10 team on the road. SAC STATE IN THE TOP 25 is not a discussion...it is a given. Where you place them (10-25) is the only argument.

MplsBison
September 5th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Certainly, they can sell tickets - their attendence is impressive.

But who have they beat that is worth a single vote in any top-25 poll?

2011:
Campbell (PFL) - 7-28 record over the last 3 seasons

2010:
W at Campbell, 44-13 (3-8, tied 7th Pioneer)
W at Monmouth, 35-21 (3-8, tied 6th NEC)
W vs. Gardner-Webb, 14-7 (4-7, tied 4th Big South)
W vs. Georgia State, 34-20 (6-5, Independent)
W at Hampton, 28-14 (6-5, tied 4th MEAC)
W vs. Savannah State, 57-9 (1-10, Independent)
W vs. Va Military, 45-28 (3-8, tied 4th Big South)
W at NC Central, 33-21 (3-8, Independent)

2009:
W vs. Chowan, 36-21 (D-II)
W vs. Virginia Union, 49-17 (D-II)
W at Jacksonville, 28-27 (7-4, tied 3rd Pioneer)
W vs. Presbyterian, 34-16 (0-11, 7th Big South)
W vs. Campbell, 28-17 (3-8, 8th Pioneer)
W at Savannah State, 38-17 (2-8, Independent)
W vs. Georgetown, 31-10 (0-11, 7th Patriot)
W vs. NC Central, 42-28 (4-7, Independent)
W at Va Military, 42-35 (2-9, Big South)

In 2+ seasons, their "best" win is vs. a 4th place AQ conference team? xeyebrowx

Boo hoo.

Honestly, who cares if they haven't played anyone? Yet.

They will. And they'll be beating good teams too. Reason: they already have one of the best programs in FCS, financially. They have great attendance and coupled with the school's obvious financial commitment to having a top competitive team - they're ensured that they'll have the money needed to be a top team. In other words, they be able to pay for top coaching talent.

Facilities are great and what they don't have now - they'll build what they need.

So go cry a river that your program isn't one of these types.

Dane96
September 5th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Ahhh...our village idiot has returned.

If you're voting in a poll...you should care. Period. I am going to hopefully be rich one day, however that doesn't mean a bank is going to give me a loan for that mansion and 60 foot fishing boat I want.

When they achieve something in the future, they will get duly rewarded.

bjtheflamesfan
September 5th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Yes Dane96, there was debate on whether to rank Sac State. I honestly didnt expect them to beat Oregon State this past week. Im interested to see how they do coming off that kind of a high and even though I erred in not rewarding them for such a big upset this week, I will be watching the next couple weeks very closely to see if they have any let down.

JMUNJ08
September 5th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Yes Dane96, there was debate on whether to rank Sac State. I honestly didnt expect them to beat Oregon State this past week. Im interested to see how they do coming off that kind of a high and even though I erred in not rewarding them for such a big upset this week, I will be watching the next couple weeks very closely to see if they have any let down.

I am interested too but through one week, Sac State showed they are a good team. Out of 120 or so FCS teams, you would have to say it was the BEST W of them all. So I am not sure what else they could have done to get your vote with only 1 game in the books. Did you leave JMU at #15 last year after we beat VaTech just to see if we would have a 'let down' right after? A great UNEXPECTED win over a PAC-12 school who Boise St. saw as a great team to play just a few short years ago to open the season.....Sac State was in the low teens for me. Will they stay there? I don't know but they can't have an as impressive win as Oregon St. the rest of the season.

Squealofthepig
September 5th, 2011, 10:49 PM
I had ODU at #37 - they're on my radar, and I'm tracking them, but they'll need a win or two for me to be a believer. And they definitely have the schedule to make believers out of this voter, which cannot be said of several other of the teams I have hanging out in the low 30s.

But, I find it hard to get really upset with all of the "also receiving votes", especially this early. I think the AGS 1-15 is pretty darned good (even though everyone can quibble about each team a few places each way); 16-25 is always going to be a bit random. The noise will mostly get ironed out over the next two to three weeks, and hopefully homer votes and errors of omission (someone not having NDSU in the top 25? Really?) will be corrected.

bjtheflamesfan
September 5th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Actually to be honest I did...I admitted already that leaving out Sac State was an error on my part but I will certainly be watching how they come off of this win and slot them into my poll accordingly for week 2

Squealofthepig
September 5th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Actually to be honest I did...I admitted already that leaving out Sac State was an error on my part but I will certainly be watching how they come off of this win and slot them into my poll accordingly for week 2

yep, simple error of omission - no harm, no foul. Hell, I accidentally voted for Jacksonville once last year instead of Jacksonville State, so I can't really chuck too many stones. :)

bojeta
September 5th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Really hard to tell. Cal Poly rolled up a lot of points on them last year, but OD scored quite a few as well. I have a bit of a soft spot for OD. My father was born in Norfolk and actually watched the stadium at Foreman Field being built way back in the day!!! I'm wishing them luck. The GSU game next week should tell us quite a bit.

aceinthehole
September 6th, 2011, 08:46 AM
ODU has 2 winning seasons in 2 years against competition that is below par but still is rather impressive to me. A good win over GaSt. this weekend and I think we can see who really is making progress...

So why isn't Dayton's results against a 'below par' schedule also impressive?

GA State will be a good win or will it show progress of 2 start-ups?

aceinthehole
September 6th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Boo hoo.

Honestly, who cares if they haven't played anyone? Yet.

They will. And they'll be beating good teams too. Reason: they already have one of the best programs in FCS, financially. They have great attendance and coupled with the school's obvious financial commitment to having a top competitive team - they're ensured that they'll have the money needed to be a top team. In other words, they be able to pay for top coaching talent.

Facilities are great and what they don't have now - they'll build what they need.

So go cry a river that your program isn't one of these types.

You make it too easy!

So forget scores, let's conduct the poll based on potential, attendence, and budget.

aceinthehole
September 6th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I had ODU at #37 - they're on my radar, and I'm tracking them, but they'll need a win or two for me to be a believer. And they definitely have the schedule to make believers out of this voter, which cannot be said of several other of the teams I have hanging out in the low 30s.

But, I find it hard to get really upset with all of the "also receiving votes", especially this early. I think the AGS 1-15 is pretty darned good (even though everyone can quibble about each team a few places each way); 16-25 is always going to be a bit random. The noise will mostly get ironed out over the next two to three weeks, and hopefully homer votes and errors of omission (someone not having NDSU in the top 25? Really?) will be corrected.

Very reasonable summary. ODU should be on the radar. They play in the CAA and have a chance to win some big game. But to date, they have done NOTHING to earn a single vote.

You know polls are flawed, when voters don't know the difference between Jacksonville State/Jacksonville, North Dakota State/North Dakota, Delaware/Delaware State, but how can anyone leave SAC STATE out of the week 1 poll - inexcusable.

aceinthehole
September 6th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Really hard to tell. Cal Poly rolled up a lot of points on them last year, but OD scored quite a few as well. I have a bit of a soft spot for OD. My father was born in Norfolk and actually watched the stadium at Foreman Field being built way back in the day!!! I'm wishing them luck. The GSU game next week should tell us quite a bit.

10-09-2010 / Cal Poly 50, Old Dominion (VA) 37
10-30-2010 / Cal Poly 41, Saint Francis (PA) 33

crusader11
September 6th, 2011, 10:50 AM
You make it too easy!

So forget scores, let's conduct the poll based on potential, attendence, and budget.

Haha, exactly right. Sure, in a couple years ODU may very well be a top 15 or 10 team, but now?

Grizzaholic
September 6th, 2011, 10:54 AM
What has ODU done? I was told by a very well respected ODU alum that ODU is the Montana of the East.

TheValleyRaider
September 6th, 2011, 10:56 AM
What has ODU done? I was told by a very well respected ODU alum that ODU is the Montana of the East.

Yes, but was that a complement? ;)

Grizzaholic
September 6th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Yes, but was that a complement? ;)

uuuhhh...well you see... What it meant was.. ummm. you know...it was more of a ...

bjtheflamesfan
September 6th, 2011, 11:01 AM
I have already acknowledged that I made a mistake...good heavens, I'll try not to make that kind of error again in next week's poll

heath
September 6th, 2011, 12:19 PM
As a start up program ODU has done very well (18-5)and if you consider their roster finally this year shows a few Jrs. and Srs. the future is bright. The first 2 years they played who was available with a new program,plus Wilder said he would not schedule any FBS teams for the first 4-5 years.If ODU can win 6-7 games this year with their schedule it would be a job well done.Do watch for them to improve each year as they are located in the 757-the hotbed for VA recruits.

TheDancinMonarch
September 6th, 2011, 12:49 PM
As an ODU fan I do not have us in the top 50. But I am extremely pleased with where we are. Our first 2 years we scheduled people we thought we would have a good chance to beat, to establish some winning tradition, and we did that quite successfully. No apologies for that from me. Now we are in the CAA and have a tough row to hoe. We will see how well we have built to this season and how much more work is necessary to be not just competitive but to be a conference championship threat and then a national threat. It may be a somewhat bumpy ride but it has been fun so far and we feel that the sky is the limit for the Monarchs.

MplsBison
September 6th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Ahhh...our village idiot has returned.

If you're voting in a poll...you should care. Period. I am going to hopefully be rich one day, however that doesn't mean a bank is going to give me a loan for that mansion and 60 foot fishing boat I want.

When they achieve something in the future, they will get duly rewarded.

That's because they have a top 25 program, from the prospective of everything being set up to be a top 25 program. Facilities, finances, attendance, season tickets, etc.

ODU's program is better than any NEC team's program. So why not vote them at the mid 20's?

MplsBison
September 6th, 2011, 01:10 PM
You make it too easy!

Well when so many FCS teams choose to be less than fully competitive - you have to give special consideration to those that not only are fully competitive, but have made that financial commitment to being a top competitive team in the division. ODU clearly has.

danefan
September 6th, 2011, 01:11 PM
That's because they have a top 25 program, from the prospective of everything being set up to be a top 25 program. Facilities, finances, attendance, season tickets, etc.

ODU's program is better than any NEC team's program. So why not vote them at the mid 20's?

You're about to get ripped a new one, but I'm willing to bet that there are many more people who vote who think the same way........they'll never admit it like MplsBison does though.

That's actually what the point of this thread was intended to do....point out the ridiculous logic voters use.

Well done Ace.

aceinthehole
September 6th, 2011, 01:14 PM
As an ODU fan I do not have us in the top 50. But I am extremely pleased with where we are. Our first 2 years we scheduled people we thought we would have a good chance to beat, to establish some winning tradition, and we did that quite successfully. No apologies for that from me. Now we are in the CAA and have a tough row to hoe. We will see how well we have built to this season and how much more work is necessary to be not just competitive but to be a conference championship threat and then a national threat. It may be a somewhat bumpy ride but it has been fun so far and we feel that the sky is the limit for the Monarchs.

Very well said. I fully agree. ODU has a solid foundation and I expect them to be a title contender (in the CAA and for a National Championship) in the near future. I wish you and the team well. Your program is in the perfect position to excel at this level.

It is sad, but no suprise, that MplsBison hasn't figured out that off-the-field stats don't earn national rankings.

tribefan40
September 6th, 2011, 03:17 PM
A good win over GaSt. this weekend and I think we can see who really is making progress...

xeyebrowx I'm gonna say after they have a few CAA games under their belt, then we can see where they are.

bojeta
September 6th, 2011, 06:34 PM
10-09-2010 / Cal Poly 50, Old Dominion (VA) 37
10-30-2010 / Cal Poly 41, Saint Francis (PA) 33

And what? That says everything? Are you kidding? Does your analysis go beyond a couple scores?

aceinthehole
September 6th, 2011, 06:54 PM

And what? That says everything? Are you kidding? Does your analysis go beyond a couple scores?

No, but what does that the Cal Poly game from last year say about ODU getting top-25 votes?

bojeta
September 6th, 2011, 07:35 PM
No, but what does that the Cal Poly game from last year say about ODU getting top-25 votes?

Nothing! That was my point! I said "Really hard to tell". Time and records in the CAA alone will give us the answer.

HailSzczur
September 6th, 2011, 08:35 PM
yep, simple error of omission - no harm, no foul. Hell, I accidentally voted for Jacksonville once last year instead of Jacksonville State, so I can't really chuck too many stones. :)

I always have trouble with the Dakota schools personally. Took me awhile to figure out if I wanted to vote for NDSU or UND

JMUNJ08
September 6th, 2011, 08:46 PM
So why isn't Dayton's results against a 'below par' schedule also impressive?

GA State will be a good win or will it show progress of 2 start-ups?

ODU impressed me because they are a start-up program. Not the great value of the opponent they beat. They have not been considered at all in my top 25, neither has Dayton to date. (Yes, they beat a 2010 playoff team but one that was exposed badly.)

A win at the 'Dome will show progress for the Monarchs, not be a 'signature' win for playoff consideration.

OhioHen
September 7th, 2011, 06:28 AM

THIS season they have a win and a majority of the teams receiving votes in the AGS poll do not. xcoffeex

ODU has MORE wins than 7 of the "top 10," 15 of the "top 25," and 28 of the "top 41 (including listed ORV)." What have THOSE teams done THIS year to deserve votes in THIS year's poll? xbangx

danefan
September 7th, 2011, 06:53 AM
THIS season they have a win and a majority of the teams receiving votes in the AGS poll do not. xcoffeex

ODU has MORE wins than 7 of the "top 10," 15 of the "top 25," and 28 of the "top 41 (including listed ORV)." What have THOSE teams done THIS year to deserve votes in THIS year's poll? xbangx

Wagner has a win too.

aceinthehole
September 7th, 2011, 07:07 AM

Are you joking?

Dayton (1-0) beat 2010 playoff participant RMU on the road.

ODU (1-0) beat a Campbell team that has NEVER won more than 3 games in a season!

You know that the majority of 0-1 teams in the top-25 lost to FBS teams and accomplished a lot more than ODU last season, so that was a stupid comment.

ODU has a good record, but against a "weak" schedule - so why do they get votes when other teams with "weak" scheuldes are ignored? Just because they have a huge fan base and play in the CAA doesn't mean they are worthy of votes yet. Why don't we wait until week 4 when they play Delaware?

I'll go on the record here, ODU at 3-0 with wins over Campbell, Georgia State, and Hampton is still not top-25 worth. If they are 4-0 after beating Delaware, they should hit the polls somewhere between 18-25. But until then, let's not hype them up for a beating nobody.

heath
September 7th, 2011, 08:46 AM
ACE,once again "polls don't mean a thing until November".You will see many teams in the top 25 now that are no where to be seen later.You guys might be playing one of those teams saturdayxchinscratchx You going to Bridgeforth?

aceinthehole
September 7th, 2011, 09:00 AM
ACE,once again "polls don't mean a thing until November".You will see many teams in the top 25 now that are no where to be seen later.You guys might be playing one of those teams saturdayxchinscratchx You going to Bridgeforth?

True, it's just very frustrating to see it being used as a "popularity contest" in September. It is no better in FBS either - Notre Dame had no business as the preseason #16, and yet after that loss they are still getting votes in the polls. I think all polling should start after week 3, but at a minimum, get rid of pre-season rankings and wait until they play a game.

:) Yeah, I'll be at Bridgeforth. Looking forward to the stadium/experience at JMU. Hoping we don't get down too early. We have the ability to hang with the Dukes for a while, so I'll be very disapointed if its over in the first 5 minutes.

OhioHen
September 7th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Are you joking?

Dayton (1-0) beat 2010 playoff participant RMU on the road.

ODU (1-0) beat a Campbell team that has NEVER won more than 3 games in a season!

And I had the Flyers ranked ahead of the Monarchs in the poll I submitted - better win got more credit.

You know that the majority of 0-1 teams in the top-25 lost to FBS teams and accomplished a lot more than ODU last season, so that was a stupid comment.

Did Appalachian State get pummeled by Virginia Tech because Virginia Tech is THAT good (potential BCS champion?) or because Appalachian State ISN'T that good (maybe middle of the pack in the SoCon this year?)? We can't know that yet.

Did Delaware lose by 3+ scores to Navy because Navy is THAT good (on their way to a BCS-buster season?) or because Hens fans are in for a long year (under .500 in the CAA?)? Again, no way to tell yet.

Neither Appalachian State nor Delaware has shown ANYTHING on the field THIS year to deserve a top 10 ranking yet.

MplsBison
September 7th, 2011, 01:12 PM

A top 25 program beat another top 25 program in a competitive game.

dgtw
September 7th, 2011, 01:52 PM
How would everyone compare ODU's progress to South Alabama (not FCS, but a decent comaprison, I think)?

bojeta
September 7th, 2011, 08:51 PM
How would everyone compare ODU's progress to South Alabama (not FCS, but a decent comaprison, I think)?

Little different situation, however, South Alabama is currently an FCS team though they are not eligible for playoffs and compete as an independent. They are transitioning to FBS which was their plan from the start. I would say their progress is quite similar. So. AL is undefeated, but many of those wins came against DII teams. If the two played each other today, I would pick ODU to win a close contest.

wmtribe1693
September 7th, 2011, 09:18 PM
ODU is good enough to be in the top 25 but I wouldn't put them there yet. They are talented enough to beat most teams in the top 25 and coach Wilder is an excellent teacher. They will, I repeat WILL beat one of the top CAA teams this season. I don't think it will be UD but it could be Nova, W&M, or JMU. No CAA team is taking them lightly. If they lose to GA State, I'll erase this post and deny I ever wrote it.

heath
September 11th, 2011, 01:02 PM
What has ODU done to deserve Top 25 votes this week? Still haven't beat anyonexlolx We'll see

aceinthehole
September 11th, 2011, 02:22 PM
What has ODU done to deserve Top 25 votes this week? Still haven't beat anyonexlolx We'll see

xthumbsupx

bjtheflamesfan
September 11th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I think he was being sarcastic...he might be serious I dont know

94 Pirate
September 12th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Look- I am mad as fire at ODU for beating us last year. However (in my best Stephen A. voice), ODU has done a MAGNIFICENT job of recruiting the Commonwealth and are well on their way to becoming a football power in FCS. Startups- heck ESTABLISHED programs- should look toward ODU as a role model when trying to do things the right way in FCS.

aceinthehole
September 12th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Look- I am mad as fire at ODU for beating us last year. However (in my best Stephen A. voice), ODU has done a MAGNIFICENT job of recruiting the Commonwealth and are well on their way to becoming a football power in FCS. Startups- heck ESTABLISHED programs- should look toward ODU as a role model when trying to do things the right way in FCS.

But this isn't a recruting poll.

Yes, ODU is doing everything right for a start-up and they have do a solid foundation and a bright future - BUT THEY HAVEN'T WON A MEANINGFUL GAME IN THE HSITORY OF THE PROGRAM.

That will change, no doubt. ODU will beat some good teams worthy of a spot in the polls someday - but they haven't yet.

LeadBolt
September 12th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I expect ODU to get a meaningful win or two this year that will erase this question, but to date they have not done so!

94 Pirate
September 12th, 2011, 12:52 PM

Yes, ODU is doing everything right for a start-up and they have do a solid foundation and a bright future - BUT THEY HAVEN'T WON A MEANINGFUL GAME IN THE HSITORY OF THE PROGRAM.

That will change, no doubt. ODU will beat some good teams worthy of a spot in the polls someday - but they haven't yet.

I am fully aware of why the poll is conducted. The title of your thread and the question you asked was "What has ODU done?". I answered that question. Maybe you should state your questions more comprehensively. In other words, say what you mean, and mean what you say.

ODUsmitty
September 12th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Dude-

Rinse the sand out of that obviously irritated mangina. We received votes, big deal, as a virtue of beating a lousy Campbell team and a team with an extremely overrated sense of self-worth in Georgia State. However, this was a big game between the recent startups, hyped by their fans, and in their place - and we owned them for the second straight year. Signature win = no. Good road win = yes.

Once the CAA play starts, we'll get ours and find out how good or deficient we really are. However, your 6 pages of whining here (and on other threads) about popularity contests sounds like some fat high school gunch upset that she was not invited to the prom.

Oh, and nice effort at JMU last week. That would have been a huge win for you guys.

Line Judge
September 12th, 2011, 01:07 PM
I expect ODU to get a meaningful win or two this year that will erase this question, but to date they have not done so!

You mean the 40-17 skull dragging of Georgia State isn't a meaningful win?

But Ithe Georgia State fans said they had an SEC Coach, SEC talent, SEC facilities and were ready for prime time???????

WTF??

DJnva
September 12th, 2011, 05:33 PM

That's wrong.

The first win of their first season was very meaningful.

MplsBison
September 12th, 2011, 07:33 PM

So? They still deserve top 25 over schools that have won games in the past but don't have the kind of financial support that ODU enjoys.

heath
September 12th, 2011, 07:47 PM
I think he was being sarcastic...he might be serious I dont know

Yes I was being sarcastic, ODU might be the spoiler in the CAA, but the JMU- CCSU score really surprised me.........JMU not that good or CCSU better than most thought?

heath
September 12th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Dude-

Rinse the sand out of that obviously irritated mangina. We received votes, big deal, as a virtue of beating a lousy Campbell team and a team with an extremely overrated sense of self-worth in Georgia State. However, this was a big game between the recent startups, hyped by their fans, and in their place - and we owned them for the second straight year. Signature win = no. Good road win = yes.

Once the CAA play starts, we'll get ours and find out how good or deficient we really are. However, your 6 pages of whining here (and on other threads) about popularity contests sounds like some fat high school gunch upset that she was not invited to the prom.

Oh, and nice effort at JMU last week. That would have been a huge win for you guys.

Smitty,Campbell a lousy team?Didn't they smoke someone by 76 points this weekxlolx

TwoFeathers
September 12th, 2011, 07:53 PM
I think ODU is going to fun to watch this year. ODU RB was CAA Offensive player of the week, and their QB is on the Payton watch list.

DaBigBlue
September 12th, 2011, 08:03 PM
ODU has the second longest win streak on FCS and is only 1 of 8 teams sitting at 2-0 this year. Hope we can add to it this weekend against Hampton. We're only receiving votes, half the FCS is ranked or receiving votes from one of the many polls (how many are there?).

We are just talking about the second week...correct? Just want to make certain I didn't miss anything.

Never before has so many care some much, about so little.

Why not complain about EWU with a record of 0-2 getting First place votes in the Coaches Poll, a poll that ODU is not receiving any votes...but thanks for thinking about us.

Dane96
September 12th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Smitty,Campbell a lousy team?Didn't they smoke someone by 76 points this weekxlolx

You serious? Campbell is lousy...and the team they smoked was awful.

Moving along...

(Holy **** I feel like 89Hen back in '03)

19Duke97
September 13th, 2011, 11:34 AM
This discussion is not even worth having until the end of October. By then we will see how good, mediocre or bad ODU is against good competition. Polls before mid October are a waste of time and energy in general.

danefan
September 13th, 2011, 11:51 AM
This discussion is not even worth having until the end of October. By then we will see how good, mediocre or bad ODU is against good competition. Polls before mid October are a waste of time and energy in general.

Except a lot of voters use them as the foundation for their later season rankings. They are slot voters moving teams up or down based on wins and what other teams do. Where you start in that discussion is more important in a lot of cases than what you do througout the season.

People should not vote that way, but its what happens.

aceinthehole
September 13th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Exactly DF! Almost everyone here agrees these early season polls are difficult to do objectively, and therefore are meaningless indicator right now.

The problem is poeple use these early season ranking as a foundation or support for later season rankings. Certain teams or conferences build support for inflated rankings later in the year. IMO that what this whole discussion is about.

ODUCoach
October 31st, 2011, 11:02 AM
Bump.

Go Apps
October 31st, 2011, 11:06 AM
Okay so where are the victories for 2011 - who cares about past years??? Not understanding this thread?

superman7515
October 31st, 2011, 11:09 AM
I think that's what he's saying. They just beat #9 James Madison to get their first win against a ranked team, so a good win.

VBR_Productions
October 31st, 2011, 11:11 AM
Okay so where are the victories for 2011 - who cares about past years??? Not understanding this thread?

Two wins over teams ranked in the top 25 at the time (UMass, JMU). Both losses were to teams ranked in the top 20 at the time (Towson, at Delaware). Are two wins against top 25 wins, four total CAA wins and only two losses not enough to answer "what has ODU done?"

The Eagle's Cliff
October 31st, 2011, 11:13 AM
ODU should be a perennial fixture in the Top 15 of FCS. They have a lot of alumni/fan/community support and fertile recruiting ground. It reminds me of how fast we at Georgia Southern came on the scene 30 years ago.