PDA

View Full Version : UCA's First Div I Spring Game

TexasTerror
April 7th, 2006, 02:13 PM
All this Presbyterian College talk. What about the other Div II success from last year that is moving up to I-AA?

First-ever spring scrimmage for the UCA Bears. Link courtesy of our friends at UCAFans.com who gave me the head's up. The Bears will get things underway tonight at 7 PM after a tailgate party sponsored by the office of the President. Best of luck to the Bears!
----------
"I think we got a lot out of that one, several things we were able to learn from and correct," said UCA coach Clint Conque. "Hopefully, we can take that and move forward in a lot of areas."

Tonight's scrimmage will be more fan friendly than the very controlled, situational, down-and-distance scrimmage the Bears went through last week.

"We put the ball on the 30 or so, let a unit try to move it, punt, fair catch and go the other way," Conque said. "It will be more like game conditions with no contact on the kicking game. Hopefully, it will be entertaining."

There is no admission charge and the public is invited.

http://www.thecabin.net/stories/040706/spo_0407060027.shtml

TexasTerror
April 8th, 2006, 04:15 PM
From UCAFans.com...

Good offense and defense, Bad scuffle

The University of Central Arkansas football team wrapped up spring practices with a scrimmage Saturday night at the Farris Center.

Coach Clint Conque was pleased with the starters on both offense and defense.

"I thought the scrimmage was very spirited," Conque said. "I thought there were some good hits, good tackles, good throws, and good catches."

Running back Ross Brown has been playing behind the likes of Kentrel Rogers, Willie Hopson and Bernard Scott during his four years on campus. His performance this spring has certainly "made his case" going into the 2006 season according to Conque.

"He stepped up like a fourth-year junior should," Conque said. "I thought the offensive line did an incredible job of blocking. Certainly he's had to compete his way through. He's had his role during that time, but now he's really stepped up and asserted himself."

http://www.ucafans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=676

BEAR
April 8th, 2006, 08:01 PM
I attended the scrimmage. It was great for the offense. The runningbacks kicked it into overdrive. The receivers played smart and caught nearly everything that came their way. Aaron Fairooz has big hands and a huge reach to add to it. He will score big this year in football and in the eyes of the pro scouts. Ross Brown kept his feet moving and picked up extra yards on the twists and turns to break free from tackles. Another guy, #9, short in stature but so fast impressed many in the crowd. The defense took a few plays to get it going but after they did, it was a Purple Crush. I didn't see any injuries but I could only stay for about 75% of the scrimmage. Any other Bear input would be great on that subject. A few routes were blown in the early part of the game and the qb, couldn't tell who it was, threw the ball low a few times but otherwise I am excited!:hurray: :lmao:
Go Bears let's show them we belong !

April 8th, 2006, 08:02 PM
I like the silver on the uniforms!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/ucafans/fbspring/286.jpg

BEAR
April 8th, 2006, 09:21 PM
The preseason scrimmage unis looked quite beat up but who cares they don't need to look great...that will be for gametime:smiley_wi

Here's a photo of the scrimmage I took, this guy is getting ready to feel the purple crush..I think he got smashed on this play for a 3 yard loss..:bow:

JoshUCA
April 8th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Wish I could have been there...but just hearing about it gets me excited for the upcoming season!!

BEAR
April 8th, 2006, 09:41 PM
You should be hyped for it! It was great to see UCA had it's typical offense but the defense still needs work..but overall I am very happy to see them on the field again! We still need to improve that kicking game, but that will work itself out in time...maybe we could recruit Hakuna Matata....xcoffeex

I just got to know who the #6 was in white...he was small but so fast!

Go...gate
April 9th, 2006, 09:28 PM
I like the UCA uni's - simple and elegant. Good luck in your maiden I-AA voyage in '06.

Bear Fan 101
April 9th, 2006, 10:42 PM
those are not UCA's game unis. in fact those are the game unis that UCA wore at the end of the Isom era and the very begining of the conque era, our game unis are posted in the uniform thread at the top of the page, UCA will be getting new unis this coming fall, not sure how the look will change up from the current ones, if any, but they are getting new ones.

That being said, it sounds like things went extremely well this weekend and for the entire spring. I am excited to see how things will shake up during the summer months, because I wuold image we will lose one or two guys due to the new academic standards in place. Hopefully we can keep all the key players, and with this talented group we have coming in, things should look bright for the future.

one more article on Fridays scrimmage:

McCollum's Column Sunday 4-9-2006 (http://www.thecabin.net/stories/040906/spo_0409060033.shtml)

MCCOLLUM'S COLUMN: Officials galore at Bears' spring game
By David McCollum
Cabin Columnist

Darrell Walsh, assistant athletic director at the University of Central Arkansas, visited the press box Friday night during the Bears' spring football game and asked to see the supervisor of officials....

TexasTerror
April 10th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Thanks for posting that article. Nice little bid from the head of SLC officiating...

"I came down here to look at some of the officials in this area to possibly add to our roster in the Southland," Harvey said. "We try to have our officials represent every region or every school in our conference. We don't have to do that, but I make an effort to do that because I think it is healthy."

The Southland Conference operates with set crews who work together most every game.

"I've done it both ways and there are pluses and minuses for both, but I think keeping crews together over the course of the season is best," Harvey said. "The off-the-field relationship is as important or more as on the field. These guys have to travel together and spent a lot of time together. I think it's important they develop a chemistry and confidence in working with each other."

Interesting...I've met Harvey before. He's all over the place come SLC season...

JoshUCA
April 10th, 2006, 08:46 AM
We're getting new uni's! Awesome...are both home and away ones I assume? Can't wait to see them come the end of August at War Memorial Stadium!!!