PDA

View Full Version : ICON/Grambling State QB gains by losing

MACHIAVELLI
April 6th, 2006, 01:37 AM
Weight no longer an issue for strong-armed Eugene

03:02 PM CDT on Wednesday, April 5, 2006
By RICK GOSSELIN / The Dallas Morning News

Bruce Eugene picked up a couple of nicknames during his college career as the quarterback at Grambling State.

"Big Easy" is his nickname of preference, a tribute to his hometown of New Orleans. "Round Mound of Touchdown" is the nickname he'd like to retire.

Eugene was a splendid college quarterback, breaking the NCAA Division I-AA record for career touchdown passes set by the legendary Willie Totten of Mississippi Valley State. Totten threw 139, most of them to Jerry Rice, and Eugene threw 140.

Eugene was the most efficient quarterback at any level of college football last season, throwing 56 touchdowns against only six interceptions. He steered Grambling to a school-record-tying 11 victories. That performance has powered Eugene onto NFL draft boards.

"I just want to show everyone football is football no matter where you're playing," he said.

Eugene started three years and overtook Doug Williams as Grambling's all-time leading passer. Twice he was named the SWAC offensive player of the year. The first time was 2002 when he passed for 4,483 yards and 43 touchdowns as a 260-pound quarterback, thus the Round Mound moniker.

"Good eating once I got to college," Eugene explained. "Steak and eggs on the road."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/draft/stories/040606dnspodraft_eugene.5cf127c.html

MACHIAVELLI
April 6th, 2006, 07:26 AM
NFL: BRONCOS: 2006 Draft Preview: Quarterbacks
By Andrew Mason
DenverBroncos.com

FROM ELSEWHERE

Grambling State's Bruce Eugene displayed an accurate arm for the I-AA Tigers, but the first thing many noticed was his girth, which he said ascended to 300 pounds during the season. Even at his size, he proved to be quite light on his feet, occasionally scrambling away from pressure during the nationally televised, season-ending Bayou Classic against Southern University, but he still left the season knowing that he had to trim approximately 55 pounds off his frame.

By the time the Scouting Combine arrived, he'd lost 40.

"I had scientists go in and do some bloodwork on me," Eugene said at the Combine. "They took the red meat out of my diet. In the bloodwork they found some problems I had. They reconstructed my whole diet. Now I’m basically on grilled chicken and broccoli and mixed vegetables."

http://www.noticias.info/asp/aspComunicados.asp?nid=163850&a
OTHER QUARTERBACKS OF NOTE:

Matt Baker, North Carolina
Brett Basanez, Northwestern
Corey Bramlet, Wyoming
Kellen Clemens, Oregon
Bruce Gradkowski, Toledo
Justin Holland, Colorado State
Omar Jacobs, Bowling Green
Brandon Kirsch, Purdue
Joel Klatt, Colorado
Travis Lulay, Montana State