PDA

View Full Version : UMass stadium renovations

Umass74
April 5th, 2006, 11:08 AM
I was at the UMass Friends of Football meeting last night. The UMass Athletic Director confirmed that bids have been sent out to install "Field Turf" at McGuirk stadim and the UMass practice facility. Installation is expected to start the day after Comencement and will be ready for UMass' opener with Colgate.

The A.D. Stated funding for lights was not complete at this time, but still could be part of the 2006 package. If not, the lights remain a priority and will be installed shortly.

The new turf should have a major impact on the program. UMass receivers will no longer be honked at by cars when they run into the street when the team is practicing on the mall in front of the stadium because of wet field conditions :hurray:

Maverick
April 5th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Sounds like a real football hotbed up there! I thought I remember reading that this fund-raising for the field and lights has been going on for almost two years. So now you say that they only have enough money for the field and hope to get the rest for lights soon. How much are the field and lights going to cost that it has taken almost two years and still don't have all of the money? If it is taking this long, sounds like you got more enemies of football up there than friends of football. : smh : : smh : : smh : :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh:

Tod
April 5th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Sounds like a real football hotbed up there! I thought I remember reading that this fund-raising for the field and lights has been going on for almost two years. So now you say that they only have enough money for the field and hope to get the rest for lights soon. How much are the field and lights going to cost that it has taken almost two years and still don't have all of the money? If it is taking this long, sounds like you got more enemies of football up there than friends of football. : smh : : smh : : smh : :rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh:

Welcome to I-AA football. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sounds to me like UMass is doing great! Good for you. :nod: :nod: :nod:

igo4uni
April 5th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Welcome to I-AA football. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sounds to me like UMass is doing great! Good for you. :nod: :nod: :nod:

I agree with Tod, give credit for improving what they have.

umassfan
April 6th, 2006, 02:50 AM

Two years... no... And just for your information we are also putting the lighting up for bid with the field turf so they could be close to getting money needed for both. We are putting field turf on our pratice facility as well which is located right outside our football stadium. Up until recently we had no real push to put field turf in our stadium but this past seasons northeast rain made it a must. At least we are doing something to improve... I would rather something take alittle bit then do nothing at all. All our funding comes from private because our state sucks.

Umass74
April 6th, 2006, 05:03 AM
Well, as UMass fan said, we'll take any signs of improvement.

The field turf on our practice facility as I said in my first post, should really help the program. In 2005, UMass practiced on four different fields. Also, because of bad field conditions, UMass was one of the latest in I-AA to hold spring practice and scrimmage. That leads to a short recovery time for any injuries before the season starts again.

And UMass WR's really did dodge cars when the team practiced on the mall in front of the stadium.

Thanks to all who expressed support. With its new paint job, field turf and new lights, McGurik is lookin' better. Come up and watch a game with us!:)

th0m
April 6th, 2006, 06:05 AM
Whoa, that makes 3 A10 schools adding Fieldturf for upcoming season. Good work!

UNH SUPERFAN
April 6th, 2006, 06:42 AM
I was at the UMass Friends of Football meeting last night. The UMass Athletic Director confirmed that bids have been sent out to install "Field Turf" at McGuirk stadim and the UMass practice facility. Installation is expected to start the day after Comencement and will be ready for UMass' opener with Colgate.

The A.D. Stated funding for lights was not complete at this time, but still could be part of the 2006 package. If not, the lights remain a priority and will be installed shortly.

The new turf should have a major impact on the program. UMass receivers will no longer be honked at by cars when they run into the street when the team is practicing on the mall in front of the stadium because of wet field conditions :hurray:
THAT'S GREAT! THE TURF WILL BE A HUGE IMPROVEMENT. WHEN UNH PLAYED THERE LAST SEASON THE FIELD WAS HORRENDOUS!