PDA

View Full Version : UCA Looking At #2s on Depth Chart

TexasTerror
April 5th, 2006, 08:41 AM
UCA coaches have said they are hoping the #2s on the depth chart are ready to "close the gap" more and contribute to helping UCA go through what is easily the toughest schedule the school has faced in school history. This is the beginning of the transition for the Bears and coach Clint Conque, but they seem to have the excitement around them that will carry them well to the next level.

Thanks to UCAFans.com for the below link...

--------
The key to UCA's spring rests on the '2's'

For the final week of spring football drills, the University of Central Arkansas coaches will be looking below the surface.

With one of the best, most successful and most seasoned groups of upperclassmen in several years, the coaches know whom their frontline players are and what they can do.

"But some of these guys at No. 2 are going to have to start closing the gap more," Conque said. "We're focusing on who can really help us in the fall in that No. 2 pool."

The reality is that UCA currently has a Division II football team - and the makings of a very good Division II football team. Other than some transfers, the players were recruited for Division II play under Division II guidelines.

But Division II is history.

The challenge is that next season, UCA, as a provisional member of the Southland Conference, will play primarily a Division I-AA schedule and easily the toughest in school history. For example, Cal-Davis upset Stanford last season, Texas State just missed a national title and Georgia Southern is one of the most successful football programs in NCAA D I-AA history.

http://www.thecabin.net/stories/040406/spo_0404060042.shtml

Freightliner
April 5th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Texas State just missed a national title

I thought the Cats were not playing UCA this year?:confused:

JoshUCA
April 5th, 2006, 01:25 PM
We aren't...at least not according to our published schedule. The only Texas schools we play are Sam Houston State and Stephen F. Austin. That columnist has no clue what he is talking about!:doh:

Freightliner
April 5th, 2006, 02:48 PM
We aren't...at least not according to our published schedule. The only Texas schools we play are Sam Houston State and Stephen F. Austin. That columnist has no clue what he is talking about!:doh:

Thought so...

you guys might want to educate that columnist :bang: :read:

Demon Fan
April 5th, 2006, 02:48 PM
The writer of the article didn't care enough to get his facts right, and he may not be as astute as he would have us believe. The truth is, UCA was a VERY good D-2 football team last season and, in my humble opinion, have a better than average chance of going 5-6 their first year of Division I play (tough schedule not withstanding). The Bears will be a great fit in the Southland Conference. Can't wait until their games count; it will help make for a really interesting race.

JoshUCA
April 5th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the kind words Demon Fan. I can't wait until we are a full-fledged member of the SLC either!

JoshUCA
April 5th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Thought so...

you guys might want to educate that columnist :bang: :read:
I would send him an e-mail, but his name is not anywhere to be found on the article!!xidiotx

ucdtim17
April 5th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Cal-Davis

:bang:

JoshUCA
April 5th, 2006, 05:03 PM
What's wrong with UC-Davis? At least we are actually playing them. Here is our schedule:
Day Date Opponent Location Time/Res
Thu 8/31 Henderson State (Capital City Classic) Little Rock, Ark.(War Memorial Stadium) 7p.m.
Sat 9/9 Illinois State Normal, Ill. 6:30 p.m.
Sat 9/16 Missouri State Conway, Ark. 6 p.m.
Sat 9/23 Stephen F. Austin Nacogdoches, Texas 6 p.m.
Sat 9/30 South Dakota Conway, Ark. 1 p.m.
Sat 10/7 South Dakota State Brookings, S.D. 7 p.m.
Sat 10/14 UC Davis Davis, Calif. 9 p.m. CST
Sat 10/21 Sam Houston State Huntsville, Texas 2 p.m.
Sat 11/4 Southern Arkansas (Homecoming) Conway, Ark. 6 p.m.
Sat 11/11 Augustana (S.D.) Conway, Ark. 1 p.m.
Sat 11/18 Georgia Southern Statesboro, Ga. 1 p.m.

TexasTerror
April 5th, 2006, 05:13 PM
What's wrong with UC-Davis? At least we are actually playing them.

The Californian surfers would prefer UC-Davis than Cal-Davis... ;)

Not comparable to how the boys from Texas State University - San Marcos don't like being called by their real name...as Cal-Davis is really the University of California - Davis or UC-Davis...

Bear Fan 101
April 13th, 2006, 11:53 PM
sorry I just now found this post while researching how many topics UCA fans actually have hijacked from UC Davis threads the last few weeks as have been accused of in another thread...different topic...

It's funny fans of other schools are making fun of our 1 'beat' writer for UCA for a lack of better term. You guys have hit the nail on the head. Since the writer I believe is the head sports writer and editor at the Log Cabin in Conway, I dont think he normally worries about stuff like total fact checking or editing. He goes with what he goes with and that is what we get to read about. I realize writers make mistakes, but he makes his way more than fair share and has been doing so for a long while now. But if it wasn't for him, there wouldnt be much UCA news out there (besides the Echo's writers..who are in their final weeks of writnig at UCA) so news is likely to come from him, and him only, unless LR's paper gives us more coverage now that we have moved up.

RabidRabbit
April 14th, 2006, 06:44 AM
GREAT 1st Year transitional games!!!

If it wasn't for the Vikes/Yotes/So Ark, it may be a VERY tough year. But then again, may surprise a bunch of 1-AA teams. Any team that looks past a play-off team from last season is making a mistake.

Bear Fan 101
April 14th, 2006, 01:09 PM
if UCA can keep all our players healthy, but more importantly academically eligible and in school, I think we will do just fine and be competitive more times than not. Who knows if the W's and L's will reflect anything. But with the academic standards rasinig now, I just hope we can keep some of our key people actually on the field and not lose too many to transfers...

Bear Fan 101
April 17th, 2006, 02:02 PM
here is another article from Conway's Log Cabin Democrat on the spring and how things may or may not look come fall.

Spring Review for UCA (http://www.thecabin.net/stories/041606/spo_0416060031.shtml)
Spring Review from David McC...

MCCOLLUM'S COLUMN: Some anaylsis while Bears and coaches wait
By David McCollum
Cabin Columnist

Blackout time. Waiting time. Question time.

Spring football is over and the next major event is August camp for the University of Central Arkansas Bears. Outwardly, not a whole lot is happening....

Purple Pride
May 4th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Just got the news that the AD, Vance Strange, has resigned effective immediately. He's always kind of been an interim that stayed anyway.