PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette Suspends 3 Players "Indefinitely"

carney2
August 30th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Sophomores Patrick Mputu (RB), Patrick McCain (QB) and Matt Grant (WR) have been suspended from the Lafayette football team "indefinitely" for unspecified violations of team rules.

http://blogs.mcall.com/sports/2011/08/suspensions-are-a-punch-in-the-gut.html

Mputu figured to be a major factor in the Lafayette offense as he was running number two on the depth chart at the time of the suspension. Junior Alan Elder has moved up to number two and heralded freshman Ross Scheuerman will move a little closer to getting his hands on the ball. McCain was battling for 3rd behind starter Ryan O'Neil and backup Andrew Shoop in the QB derby and did not figure to get much playing time in 2011. Grant has been getting some positive comments from the coaches in preseason drills, but was fighting an uphill battle in a very talented and deep corps of receivers. Of the 3 players suspended, Mputu was the only one guaranteed to be on the traveling squad this week to NDSU

There are so far no "well placed" or reliable rumors circulating as to what the infraction(s) might have been.

Bogus Megapardus
August 31st, 2011, 08:21 AM
It's my understanding that the three were uncovered as part of a flash mob that was conspiring still to wear shorts on the Quad after Labor Day. Shame.

LUHawker
August 31st, 2011, 10:08 AM
Not easy for Tavani to do, I'm sure, but he always struck me as a stand-up guy.

bluehenbillk
August 31st, 2011, 10:15 AM
It's my understanding that the three were uncovered as part of a flash mob that was conspiring still to wear shorts on the Quad after Labor Day. Shame.

Huh? Is that serious???

Lehigh Football Nation
August 31st, 2011, 10:38 AM
Sounds like Tavani did the immediate, correct, thing here in suspending the kids indefinitely. He deserves the credit - as Mr. Reinhart has done - for doing the right thing.

Having said that... does this suspension really rock the team as much as folks are implying? While Mputu appeared to have "potential" in the Spotted Ones' backfield, he was hardly Nate Eachus in last year's offense, and the QB and WR were what, third string at best? So Tavani will have to shuffle the No. 3 QB spot and the 6 or 7 WR spot. To me, it doesn't seem like a big deal.

If Mputu's loss is really as crippling as folks are saying, that would appear to not bode well for Lafayette this year at all.

carney2
August 31st, 2011, 10:38 AM
Huh? Is that serious???

It certainly is. You're talking about the Patriot League where tailgating is done with wine coolers and quiche. If you must have a beer you will be asked to use a doily. Shorts after Labor Day is indeed grounds for dismissal. It is problematical whether the lads are allowed to remain in school after this kind of offense.

Franks Tanks
August 31st, 2011, 10:39 AM
Sounds like Tavani did the immediate, correct, thing here in suspending the kids indefinitely. He deserves the credit - as Mr. Reinhart has done - for doing the right thing.

Having said that... does this suspension really rock the team as much as folks are implying? While Mputu appeared to have "potential" in the Spotted Ones' backfield, he was hardly Nate Eachus in last year's offense, and the QB and WR were what, third string at best? So Tavani will have to shuffle the No. 3 QB spot and the 6 or 7 WR spot. To me, it doesn't seem like a big deal.

If Mputu's loss is really as crippling as folks are saying, that would appear to not bode well for Lafayette this year at all.

No-- I am ready for Jerome Rudolph and Ross Scheurman. Mputu was expected to get a lot of carries, but he wasn't the starting RB, and Scheurman was also pushing for playing time.

carney2
August 31st, 2011, 10:48 AM

Mputu and maybe the freshman Scheuerman were expected to put some bite back in the running game after that 312 pound offensive line got its act together. With the starter, senior Jerome Rudolph, tipping the scales at only 170, Mputu was expected to be a real big part of this. You are correct, however, in your conclusion that neither McCain nor Grant were expected to contribute much to the 2011 offense.

You seem to be overlooking two points however:

How does the team react to this? They will need to have their "A" game for most of September to survive a tough OOC schedule. Anything less and it could be a second consecutive tough year on College Hill.

What does "indefinite" mean? Will these three be reinstated, let's say, in October? No one knows. I doubt if even Tavani knows at this point.

superman7515
August 31st, 2011, 10:56 AM
They'll be playing for Fordham shortly.

TheValleyRaider
August 31st, 2011, 10:59 AM

They should come down to Texas. They can wear shorts after the World Series :D

Bogus Megapardus
August 31st, 2011, 11:43 AM
Looks like we're going to see The Scheurmanator sooner than expected. Farewell to The Surfer Dude, though. We hardly knew ye.

Bogus Megapardus
August 31st, 2011, 11:49 AM
Huh? Is that serious???

Of course it's serious, sheesh. White after Labor Day is serious enough of a faux pas in the Pardsvillian Paradiso, let alone shorts.

Tuck in those shirt tails, if you would, please. And haven't you any laundered argyles? Wherever did you come from?

DFW HOYA
August 31st, 2011, 11:56 AM

Don't laugh. Fordham's late registration is through Sep. 7.

Georgetown had a case once where a basketball player unexpectedly transferred in early February to a school whose late registration had still not yet been finished. He was able to enroll immediately. (He never played for the school, but that's another story.)

Fordham
August 31st, 2011, 01:27 PM

Don't laugh. Fordham's late registration is through Sep. 7.

Georgetown had a case once where a basketball player unexpectedly transferred in early February to a school whose late registration had still not yet been finished. He was able to enroll immediately. (He never played for the school, but that's another story.)
xthumbsdownx

DFW HOYA
August 31st, 2011, 01:34 PM
xthumbsdownx

Of course they're not going to Fordham, the roster is set. But if the infractions are serious enough to get players to look elsewhere, they'll need to be nimble to avoid losing another semester for transfer purposes.

superman7515
August 31st, 2011, 02:11 PM
xthumbsdownx

Easy scooter, just a joke about everyone saying Fordham is now a prep school taking wayward souls and vagabond sailors.