PDA

View Full Version : *** Holy Cross vs. UMASS Game Thread - September 1st ***

crusader11
August 29th, 2011, 10:37 AM
One of the biggest FCS games of the week pitting two New England rivals together. It is a historic night as Fitton Field will hold the first night football game in its storied history. Some relevant links:

Holy Cross Game Day info: http://goholycross.com/sports/m-footbl/2011-12/releases/20110824k0gqgq

Holy Cross Game Notes: http://goholycross.com/sports/m-footbl/2011-12/releases/20110826aww6hm

Holy Cross message board discussion: http://s2.excoboard.com/Crossports/33744

Website dedicated to the game: http://fillfittonfield.com/

UMASS football blog: http://umass74.blogspot.com/

UMASS message board discussion: http://umasshoops.com/board/index.htm

Game time is slated for 8pm and will be televised by CBS College Sports.

Feel free to discuss...

DFW HOYA
August 29th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Someone needs to get an overhead photo of a full Fitton Field. That photo from the early 1990's is showing its age...

http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/wp-content/gallery/holy-cross-crusaders-fitton-field/Fitton-Field-1..jpg

Bogus Megapardus
August 29th, 2011, 10:48 AM
If Holy Cross wins, does that mean that they coulda been in the MAC?

j/k - good luck Crusaders. Make us all proud.

Ivytalk
August 29th, 2011, 02:15 PM
xthumbsupxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxbow xLet's go, 'Saders!

bkrownd
August 29th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Is the field above water? ;)

Pard4Life
August 29th, 2011, 08:55 PM
If Holy Cross wins, does that mean that they coulda been in the MAC?

j/k - good luck Crusaders. Make us all proud.

Big East, Bogie... they have higher ambitions...

Pard4Life
August 29th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Someone needs to get an overhead photo of a full Fitton Field. That photo from the early 1990's is showing its age...

http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/wp-content/gallery/holy-cross-crusaders-fitton-field/Fitton-Field-1..jpg

I don't know DFW... those cars in the top of the photo look like late-80s models.

Brad82
August 29th, 2011, 09:00 PM
UMASS by 3 TD's.

Sam
August 29th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Holy cross 21 Umass 14

SF State Gaters
August 30th, 2011, 07:58 AM
great old New England rivalry. Love this game, one of the most exciting of the day

crusader11
September 1st, 2011, 08:21 AM
At long last, GAME DAY!!!!!

RichH2
September 1st, 2011, 08:28 AM
Good luck . Be nice for PL to start off season with a win vs CAA

NHwildEcat
September 1st, 2011, 09:56 AM
I'll be checking out some of this one...a little scout work for the UNH/Holy Cross game on Oct. 1!!!

Ahhh football season is in the air again!

crusader11
September 1st, 2011, 10:01 AM
I'll be checking out some of this one...a little scout work for the UNH/Holy Cross game on Oct. 1!!!

Ahhh football season is in the air again!

Best of luck against Toledo. I'll be pulling for the 'Cats.

NHwildEcat
September 1st, 2011, 10:05 AM
Best of luck against Toledo. I'll be pulling for the 'Cats.

Much appreciated...kick UMass in the face tonight...will ya!

Fordham
September 1st, 2011, 10:16 AM
Good luck Saders!

TheValleyRaider
September 1st, 2011, 12:25 PM
Good luck Cross

We'll be keeping an eye on you in Hamilton for next week ;)

breezy
September 1st, 2011, 06:57 PM
Game Time!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2011, 06:58 PM
I'll be watching this one along with TU-Nova and UT-UNH. I can't see HC being able to hang with Umass.

Any video link?

DFW HOYA
September 1st, 2011, 07:04 PM
Oops... the announcers refer to HC as "no scholarships on this team, all walk-ons."

Franks Tanks
September 1st, 2011, 07:06 PM
Oops... the announcers refer to HC as "no scholarships on this team, all walk-ons."

Yup, and they are playing up the purity carp. Nice crowd at Fitton, but not close to being full. Maybe 14k?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2011, 07:06 PM
Yup, and they are playing up the purity carp. Nice crowd at Fitton, but not close to being full. Maybe 14k?

where's the video link?

Franks Tanks
September 1st, 2011, 07:10 PM
where's the video link?

I am getting it on TV. My cheap *** sprung for the college football package this year. Drake and North Dakota is also on.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2011, 07:23 PM
TD Umass!

7-0 Minutemen, 5:46 1Q

breezy
September 1st, 2011, 07:55 PM
HC kicks FG, now 7-3, but UMass marching at the HC 10-yard line.

breezy
September 1st, 2011, 08:08 PM
UMass 14, HC 9. 7:00 left in 2nd qtr.

Dane96
September 1st, 2011, 08:13 PM
Holy Cross looks good. Really solid playing right now...nothing flashy. But my lord...can UMASS hit. And on cue, Courtney Jackson just drills someone from the weakside.

Dane96
September 1st, 2011, 08:16 PM

Not a chance. MAAAAAYBE 8-9k. It is actually really empty. The endzone alone seats about 6-7k or so...and Fitton is about 23-24k. The endzone is empty...and each side is so-so filled. If you put everyone on the smaller side...it would be filled. So, my guess, max 8-9k.

Bogus Megapardus
September 1st, 2011, 08:21 PM
I can't believe that I (viscerally) started watching the Philadelphia Eagles pre-season game vs the NY Jets instead of this game on CBS. Lots of shots on Gilmore on the sideline. Nice crowd, too. HC receivers are on their game. Ryan Taggart looks like the real deal.

Go Crusaders!

Bogus Megapardus
September 1st, 2011, 08:23 PM
Not a chance. MAAAAAYBE 8-9k. It is actually really empty. The endzone alone seats about 6-7k or so...and Fitton is about 23-24k. The endzone is empty...and each side is so-so filled. If you put everyone on the smaller side...it would be filled. So, my guess, max 8-9k.

Nope. More like 14-15k. The sideline seats are full. Good crowd.

Bogus Megapardus
September 1st, 2011, 08:25 PM
Is it going to be all Ryan Taggart, all the time for the Crusaders? I hope they can get a running game going at some point here.

Dane96
September 1st, 2011, 08:29 PM
Kid looks real good.

And my mistake...new camera angle shows a FULL big side. Definitely 14k in attendance.

Dane96
September 1st, 2011, 08:29 PM
Nope. More like 14-15k. The sideline seats are full. Good crowd.

Yup....just saw that angle.

breezy
September 1st, 2011, 08:32 PM
I agree with Bogie -- at least 12K, but most likely less than 15K.

HC did some nice things on offense in the 2nd quarter and did better against the run on defense. UMass bigger and faster.

UMass 14, HC 9 at the half. Game closer than many predicted to this point.

Bogus Megapardus
September 1st, 2011, 08:38 PM
I agree with Bogie -- at least 12K, but most likely less than 15K.

Whatever - just do it Holy Cross!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2011, 08:40 PM
Game closer than i would have thought so far. See if HC can keep playing flying around.

breezy
September 1st, 2011, 09:29 PM
End of 3rd Quarter. UMass 17, HC 9.

Bogus Megapardus
September 1st, 2011, 09:36 PM
The Crusaders are hanging tough, that's for sure.

Bogus Megapardus
September 1st, 2011, 09:37 PM
That run on fourth down didn't really do it, though

Bogus Megapardus
September 1st, 2011, 09:48 PM
ZooMass pass to Julian Talley in the endzone was perfectly executed. I'm afraid the Crusaders are done at this point.

Noble effort, nonetheless. All hail the Patriot League. Even you, Sader87.

Bogus Megapardus
September 1st, 2011, 09:56 PM
Ryan Taggart really has to work on his timing with Kyle Toulouse.

Attendance announced at 16k plus.

Bogus Megapardus
September 1st, 2011, 10:06 PM
O Line just can't protect Taggart.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 1st, 2011, 10:07 PM
Ryan Taggart really has to work on his timing with Kyle Toulouse.

Attendance announced at 16k plus.

From the stadium shots it looked like a lot of students came out. Very cool for a school with an enrollment as small as HC.

breezy
September 1st, 2011, 10:12 PM
UMass 24, HC 16. 52 seconds left. HC onside kick upcoming.

breezy
September 1st, 2011, 10:19 PM
24-16 is final.

TheValleyRaider
September 1st, 2011, 10:20 PM
Sounds like a game effort from the Crusaders. Tough to lose though, especially at home

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2011, 10:20 PM
Great effort by HC!

Doc QB
September 1st, 2011, 10:36 PM
Great game to watch, to open the season. We PL fans usually watch a season ending game like this...a tough CAA team taking it to us, with greater speed and depth. What always strikes me, and please tell me if anyone agrees, is the completely different look of the CAA guys compared to PL. Mostly evident in the skill guys, always seem thicker, more athletic, bigger arms. The HC secondary WRs looked meager compared to the UMass WR/DBs. The HC WR #3 looked liked he was in the wrong game, fubmbled a few times, got smacked around pretty good. HC skill guys kinda looked like they missed the weight room this offseason. Very striking to me. And God, those Dbs could bring the wood.

Also tend to wonder, first game jitters aside, if HC kept it that close, UMass may be a mere .500 team in a tough CAA this year. Thoughts?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2011, 10:39 PM
Great game to watch, to open the season. We PL fans usually watch a season ending game like this...a tough CAA team taking it to us, with greater speed and depth. What always strikes me, and please tell me if anyone agrees, is the completely different look of the CAA guys compared to PL. Mostly evident in the skill guys, always seem thicker, more athletic, bigger arms. The HC secondary WRs looked meager compared to the UMass WR/DBs. The HC WR #3 looked liked he was in the wrong game, fubmbled a few times, got smacked around pretty good. HC skill guys kinda looked like they missed the weight room this offseason. Very striking to me. And God, those Dbs could bring the wood.

Also tend to wonder, first game jitters aside, if HC kept it that close, UMass may be a mere .500 team in a tough CAA this year. Thoughts?

I think it's really hard to take a whole lot from a game given the emotion of the night. Umass wasn't picked to be anything great this year and HC figures to be pretty good. Overall, i thought Umass would win by 18 but the 24-16 final doesn't completely surprise me.

crusader11
September 1st, 2011, 10:45 PM
We'll be in the race this year with Lehigh and Colgate. Tonight's performance is what I expected from our club. While the offense my struggle at times, I believe that the defense should be one of the best in the PL.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2011, 10:54 PM
We'll be in the race this year with Lehigh and Colgate. Tonight's performance is what I expected from our club. While the offense my struggle at times, I believe that the defense should be one of the best in the PL.

HC vs Colgate next weekend right? That game will go a long way in determining both teams seasons.

crusader11
September 1st, 2011, 10:57 PM
HC vs Colgate next weekend right? That game will go a long way in determining both teams seasons.

Agreed. Although this game comes in week 2 for both teams, it may as well be a "PLC" type game.

TheValleyRaider
September 1st, 2011, 11:28 PM
Agreed. Although this game comes in week 2 for both teams, it may as well be a "PLC" type game.

I'm not going to pretend I'm at all happy about going to Worcester in Week 2, especially with HC getting 10 days off before the game

Of course, I'd probably feel better if Sullivan was the QB, but still

crusader11
September 1st, 2011, 11:32 PM
We beat the 'Gate last year when they had Sullivan...

I still think this will be one hell of a football game. Will go down to the final quarter. I'll feel much more comfortable heading into this game if Colgate's new QB struggles against Albany.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2011, 11:34 PM
I'm not going to pretend I'm at all happy about going to Worcester in Week 2, especially with HC getting 10 days off before the game

Of course, I'd probably feel better if Sullivan was the QB, but still

IF Colgate can beat Albany i think the Raiders are still the odds on favorite heading to Worcester. Holy Cross still needs to find a difference maker on offense imo.

crusader11
September 1st, 2011, 11:40 PM
Holy Cross still needs to find a difference maker on offense imo.

True statement! Didn't see a whole lot out of the running game tonight, but that is probably because the UMASS D-line is just that good. I think we need to get the ball to Schneider more...he can really stretch a defense and create openings for others on the field.

umassfan
September 2nd, 2011, 01:20 AM
UMass is still trying to figure out who to go with at QB. Neither one was fully impressive tonight but we have a bye week next week to get the kinks worked out. Our running game was good tonight but we forced the run a little too much at times. It was almost like we were afraid to pass. On D, our DBs need to improve or it will be a long year. We will stop the run but HC had way to many wide open wrs tonight. Also need to get more pass rush.

Dane96
September 2nd, 2011, 01:22 AM
It was a very good opener for both teams

bkrownd
September 2nd, 2011, 03:34 AM
Shock to find this one on TV. First time I've seen Massachusetts on TV since the last national championship game. :)

danefan
September 2nd, 2011, 06:55 AM
Holy Cross looked better defensively than I expected and UMass looked worse offensively.

HC had a great effort, but the turnovers hurt bad.

Maroon&White
September 2nd, 2011, 07:08 AM
How did you expect them to look with a new QB? xlolx

Dane96
September 2nd, 2011, 07:12 AM
Yah, I was shocked at the QB situation at UMASS. They won't go far with that situation, and I think they are more like a Top 35-40.

That said, Hernandez is as fast and shifty as I remember vs. Albany...and that defense can FLY and HIT.

danefan
September 2nd, 2011, 08:07 AM
How did you expect them to look with a new QB? xlolx

Better than that......New QB or not

Franks Tanks
September 2nd, 2011, 08:26 AM
True statement! Didn't see a whole lot out of the running game tonight, but that is probably because the UMASS D-line is just that good. I think we need to get the ball to Schneider more...he can really stretch a defense and create openings for others on the field.

The Cross recievers dropped a few balls, and of course had the turnovers. If the Cross recievers played better the game would've come down to the wire.

Maroon&White
September 2nd, 2011, 08:35 AM
Better than that......New QB or not

So what looked bad?

Dane96
September 2nd, 2011, 08:58 AM
Are you halfway serious?

Anyone could see that there was poor reads, bad timing, lack of decision-making etc. It was piss-poor.

And for the record, Danefan was a college QB in FBS and FCS. I'd trust his view.

Uncle Buck
September 2nd, 2011, 09:19 AM
In all fairness, there were a lot of games last night that showed many teams that still need to work out the kinks. I'm not a UMass fan but i did watch a lot of the game and they need to get better, but even winning ugly is still winning.

RichH2
September 2nd, 2011, 09:27 AM
Hell of a game. Thought Cross might pull it out in 4th. Cross qb gutsy but still cant throw long. Cross D excellent effort. A very solid unit.

danefan
September 2nd, 2011, 09:29 AM
So what looked bad?

The entire offense looked out of sync. Part of that is of course timing, but Pagel joined before Spring practice right? With spring and summer to work out the timing issues I would have thought the passing attack would have been more of a factor.

UMass defense, especially the rush D is very good. The offense will get better because Hernandez is a good runner and the O-line is solid. I have no doubt, though, with time the offense will kick in.

danefan
September 2nd, 2011, 09:29 AM
In all fairness, there were a lot of games last night that showed many teams that still need to work out the kinks. I'm not a UMass fan but i did watch a lot of the game and they need to get better, but even winning ugly is still winning.

Agreed.

umassfan
September 2nd, 2011, 11:38 AM
Are you halfway serious?

Anyone could see that there was poor reads, bad timing, lack of decision-making etc. It was piss-poor.

And for the record, Danefan was a college QB in FBS and FCS. I'd trust his view.

One QB(the starter) did not go through spring drills because of 2 foot injuries. The backup looked a little better and he was a transfer from BG. One is a RFr and the other a soph. What rookie young QB comes in as a world beater? Not many at this level. They have 16 days now to look at the film and make adjustments. I expect better timing vs URI. They just need to stop short arming their throws and not throw deep into double coverage.

Dane96
September 2nd, 2011, 11:58 AM
Oh, I get that. The question was...what was wrong with the QB play. While valid excuses, it still does not change the fact that the QB play was poor.

I suspect it will improve.

carney2
September 2nd, 2011, 12:20 PM
Announced attendance was 15,942. Very nice.

crusader11
September 2nd, 2011, 01:08 PM
Is Kevin Morris really going to be the guy to lead UMASS into the MAC? Really have not been all to impressed with him since he took over.

Looking at last night's game from an outsider's perspective, UMASS didn't look very impressive against a non-scholarship Patriot League team. Aside from Hernandez, the offense was very unimaginative and the defense (save the monstrous D-Line) has holes in it (especially the secondary). If I had to guess, UMASS is a .500 team in the CAA this year. Does not exactly bode well for next year's slate of games.

Jackman
September 2nd, 2011, 02:46 PM
Most UMass fans I know agree that somewhere around .500 seems likely this year.

Most UMass fans I know were not happy that Morris was hired to coach UMass in FCS, nevermind FBS. But UMass almost never terminates a coach's contract early, and this is only year 3 of Morris's 5 year deal, so he's probably going to be here for the FBS launch. Not the right way to go about it.

Go...gate
September 2nd, 2011, 02:59 PM
Announced attendance was 15,942. Very nice.

Very good....

KAUMASS
September 2nd, 2011, 04:10 PM
Watched the entire game last night...Couple of thoughts..HC is improved over last year and will have a decent year. Great linebacker play. Defensive line did a decent job holding off a big offensive line. I couldn't understand why the kept trying to run left every series. Nothing there all night except maybe one 15 yard burst. Get that 6'7" tight end involved in some short 6-7 yard passes, can lean forward for some first downs. All in all, a good showing by HC. Taggart was off with some of his timing, but he is a good solid QB. He was harassed most of the night, so no real blame there.

Umass had 2 inexpieranced qb's and the coaches looked like they gameplaned for the qb not to lose the game but yet not win the game for us either. Looked like they were just trying to run the ball and take time off the clock. Was not an explosive offense, but did what they needed to do. Wasn't pretty. Should get better as the season goes along.

HC had a new offensive co-ordinator, and I think the HC offense had some wrinkles or different patterns that what we saw last year. DB's were aggressive and were laying some wood. I don't think that head shot on the penalty was intentional, just worked out they way the bodies were in motion. Good call by the official. I thought the defensive game plan was to blitz like crazy and keep the receivers in front of them. Looked like we knew HC was going to have trouble running. DL looks stout. Taggart made a great play on the 4th down for the td. Couple of backside lineman overpersued and should have sacked him. Couple of HC receivers did get a step behind our DB's, so they have some good speed.

Wasn't surprised by the score at the end at all last night. Morris has his work cut out for him this year though. Don't think he is the guy for us either FCS or FBS. We'll see this year. I think UMass will be just above the middle of the pack this year in the CAA. Not sure about where UNH and 'nova will end up...they ran into some tought FBS teams last night, but they also lost alot of guys last year.

I belive HC will have a shot at the Patriot title with 8-3, 7-4 type year. I see UMass at anywhere from 5-6/8-3, giving a game either way.

Good to see footballs in the air.

Good luck to the cross the rest of the year and in future years.

alvinkayak6
September 2nd, 2011, 04:49 PM
Patriot League looks up. CAA looks down. Villanova STUNK without Szczur, Whitney, and injured White. UMass looks average, but has seem some decent defensive strength. Overall, UMass looks way below the MAc right now.

Maroon&White
September 2nd, 2011, 05:42 PM
Oh, I get that. The question was...what was wrong with the QB play. While valid excuses, it still does not change the fact that the QB play was poor.

I suspect it will improve.

And all the problems that have been stated are things you can expect from a new QB. Or two new QBs. Of course Pagel has all the previous action he saw at Bowling Green - 1 game and 3 passes. I'm not sure what people were expecting with 2 QB's getting their first signifcant game experience.

It's just odd that both you and danefan think the offense will get better, but won't attribute that expected improvement to the QB getting more experience. Especially when the mentioned problems with the offense vs. Holy Cross were related to the QB.xrotatehx

Watching the replay that's on right now, does this color guy realize Gilmore is the head coach, not Rodgers? Enough with the air time for him. I get that he's quite obviously biased towards HC, but enough with Rodgers. And, unless I missed it, has he also failed to mention Rodger's son is currently a freshman TE on Cal?

umassfan
September 2nd, 2011, 05:49 PM
Patriot League looks up. CAA looks down. Villanova STUNK without Szczur, Whitney, and injured White. UMass looks average, but has seem some decent defensive strength. Overall, UMass looks way below the MAc right now.

Did you think we would step in and win the MAC in our first year?

Dane96
September 2nd, 2011, 06:06 PM
And all the problems that have been stated are things you can expect from a new QB. Or two new QBs. Of course Pagel has all the previous action he saw at Bowling Green - 1 game and 3 passes. I'm not sure what people were expecting with 2 QB's getting their first signifcant game experience.

It's just odd that both you and danefan think the offense will get better, but won't attribute that expected improvement to the QB getting more experience. Especially when the mentioned problems with the offense vs. Holy Cross were related to the QB.xrotatehx

Watching the replay that's on right now, does this color guy realize Gilmore is the head coach, not Rodgers? Enough with the air time for him. I get that he's quite obviously biased towards HC, but enough with Rodgers. And, unless I missed it, has he also failed to mention Rodger's son is currently a freshman TE on Cal?

Dude...where did we ever say anything other than the QB sucked last night. Where did we say the offense will get better, but not because of QB play.

Answer: NOWHERE!