PDA

View Full Version : What is the big FCS game in the first week that you want to see?

ursus arctos horribilis
August 26th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Not FCS vs. FBS/BCS or anything like that.

FCS vs. FCS

NDSU/Lafayette looks interesting.

Kinda interested in Towson/Morgan St. as well.

I haven't searched a whole bunch yet so what do you recommend?

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 26th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Ironically, i think the PL has some intriguing matchups.
1. Holy Cross vs Umass - Last go around perhaps for these old rivals. Fitton will be electric.
2. SIU vs SEMO - MVFC vs OVC
3. Colgate vs Albany - Upstate NY bragging rights
4. CCU vs Furman - great non conference, instate battle
5. NDSU vs Lafayette - interesting matchup
6. Robert Morris vs Dayton - could be a telling game for both conferences

ursus arctos horribilis
August 26th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Ironically, i think the PL has some intriguing matchups.
1. Holy Cross Umass - Last go around perhaps for these old rivals. Fitton will be electric.
2. SIU vs SEMO
3. Colgate vs Albany
4. CCU vs Furman
5. NDSU vs Lafayette

Those are all great matchups for sure. That Gate/Albany will get a look from me if I can find it.

frozennorth
August 26th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Ill be at drake-und. Should be a good gauge for what to expect from the rest of the season.

darell1976
August 26th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Ill be at drake-und. Should be a good gauge for what to expect from the rest of the season.

New QB for the Sioux in Joey Bradley our JUCO from Cali. He knows how to thow the ball and if he is accurate our offense is going to be hard to stop. A lot of questions about our last year in transition could be answered in this game.

Skjellyfetti
August 26th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Citadel - Jacksonville and Samford - Georgia Southern will be on my radar.

PantherRob82
August 26th, 2011, 10:41 PM
I probably won't catch as many games as I would like, but I will be watching as much as I can from my phone or iPad.

BlueHenSinfonian
August 26th, 2011, 10:44 PM
It doesn't seem like there's a lot of heavy FCS on FCS action this first week, but that's pretty typical for the first weekend of the season. I'm tempted to drive up to Orlando for the MEAC/SWAC challenge and check out the bands.

Twentysix
August 26th, 2011, 11:10 PM

Yeah, if you lose to drake, atleast theirs hockey!

If you beat drake im not sure its going to show you much.

Don't forget how APSU made Mertens look like Favre on a good day.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1944/apsustudentsection.png

Hope to see more of this for the Lafayette game, kinda doubt it though cause its on labor day weekend. I will be seeing this game.

However, I would like to also see SDSU v SUU and the other MVFC slightly less.

UNI @ ISU seems interesting to me because they should have a chance.(its not FCSvFCS though)

Squealofthepig
August 27th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Well, I started the SIU/SEMO thread, so gotta go with that.

Also curious to see WIU/SHSU - was cool seeing the Leathernecks have a much improved season last year, and SHSU looks to make some noise. I'd pick the bearkats, but should be another good barometer game.

coover
August 27th, 2011, 01:24 AM
New QB for the Sioux in Joey Bradley our JUCO from Cali. He knows how to thow the ball and if he is accurate our offense is going to be hard to stop. A lot of questions about our last year in transition could be answered in this game.

You better beat Drake by alot or the questions will still remain. A low scoring game will probably mean UND will have some major problems when facing top 25 type FCS teams this year, and a close high scoring game will mean much the same. A blowout, however, will give some of your future opponents cause for concern.

My guys are a future opponent and I'll certainly be watching. I will not, however, be at your game. I shall be in San Diego rooting for my Mustangs against probable top 20 FBS SDSU. No, that isn't South Dakota State. It's San Diego State.

UNIFanSince1983
August 27th, 2011, 06:54 AM
SIU vs SEMO to see if SIU really is as improved from last year as the polls indicate. I also would like to see SUU vs SDSU mainly because both of those teams are on our schedule. I am interested in how good both teams are. SUU won the Great West last year, and SDSU is picked anywhere from 4th to 8th in the conference this year.

Should be very interesting!

ursus arctos horribilis
August 27th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Added a poll so please vote. Like to help out some guys with some preview information to give them an idea of what you guys are most interested in.

dbackjon
August 27th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Best game is one not listed - SUU vs SDSU

ursus arctos horribilis
August 27th, 2011, 01:28 PM

Well I sure as hell wish you'd have put it down here cuz that would have made the list and been my pick. **** dide get involved instead of sitting back and not chipping in.

JFC! I thought we were friends.xconfusedx

Squealofthepig
August 27th, 2011, 01:45 PM

FCS v. FCS, per your OP. Agree this is way high up on my list for next weekend too. Seven days!

darell1976
August 27th, 2011, 02:32 PM
You better beat Drake by alot or the questions will still remain. A low scoring game will probably mean UND will have some major problems when facing top 25 type FCS teams this year, and a close high scoring game will mean much the same. A blowout, however, will give some of your future opponents cause for concern.

My guys are a future opponent and I'll certainly be watching. I will not, however, be at your game. I shall be in San Diego rooting for my Mustangs against probable top 20 FBS SDSU. No, that isn't South Dakota State. It's San Diego State.

I hope you guys can pull off the upset we have San Diego State next year. As for Drake after our embarrassment loss to NAIA Sioux Falls a couple years ago every game will be important, and UND is going to try to make a statement especially to the Big Sky. We are not a cellar dweller we are a contender. We are young but this is the last year for all DII players on our roster and coach Mussman said this offense looks like the offense we had in the early 2000's (2001-DII National Title, 2003 DII-Runners up). Hopefully our defense stays solid as we held tight with Montana, UC Davis, and Cal Poly last year until our offense fizzled to nothing and the defense can only do so much.

Mr. C
August 27th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Mr. C would love to be at Robert Morris-Dayton, or Holy Cross-UMass, but he is doing a doubleheader on Saturday (after catching Villanova-Temple on Thursday night). Appalachian State at Virginia Tech at 12:30 p.m. and then a quick jaunt down Interstates 81 and 40 to catch Montana at Tennessee. Go FCS teams!!!

ursus arctos horribilis
August 27th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Mr. C would love to be at Robert Morris-Dayton, or Holy Cross-UMass, but he is doing a doubleheader on Saturday (after catching Villanova-Temple on Thursday night). Appalachian State at Virginia Tech at 12:30 p.m. and then a quick jaunt down Interstates 81 and 40 to catch Montana at Tennessee. Go FCS teams!!!

Have a good trip and I share the sentiment. Great group of games to take in.

Screamin_Eagle174
August 27th, 2011, 03:21 PM

This.

dbackjon
August 27th, 2011, 03:49 PM
FCS v. FCS, per your OP. Agree this is way high up on my list for next weekend too. Seven days!

SDSU is South Dakota State ;)

Squealofthepig
August 27th, 2011, 05:33 PM
SDSU is South Dakota State ;)

well, don't I just feel like a big stupidhead. :) Totally my bad.

Grizzaholic
August 27th, 2011, 05:35 PM
well, don't I just feel like a big stupidhead. :) Totally my bad.

Stupidhead is such an awful word. Doo-Doo-head is much better.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 27th, 2011, 05:54 PM

Enjoy the Mayor's Cup game in Philly! I'll be there as well. After the last two nailbiters i'm hoping this one is a littler easier on the nerves.

813Jag
August 27th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Alcorn vs Grambling for me. Melvin Spears vs Doug Williams. Should be interesting to say the least.

SF State Gaters
August 30th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Holy Cross - UMass is the one. Should be a ton of fun, it's something of a shame to me that UMass is moving to the MAC where they won't have any New England rivals or tradition there, though I get why they're doing it it seems a bit of a loss somehow

Gil Dobie
August 30th, 2011, 08:06 AM
NDSU game will be closer than most think. Should be close for 2-3 quarters, with the Bison winning at home in the 4th quarter.

Gil Dobie
August 30th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Does UMASS count as a Big Game if they are a transitional FBS school? I know they are still FCS, but they aren't in the playoffs.

bkrownd
August 30th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Holy Cross - UMass is the one. Should be a ton of fun, it's something of a shame to me that UMass is moving to the MAC where they won't have any New England rivals or tradition there, though I get why they're doing it it seems a bit of a loss somehow

Minutemen will be able to renew their epic rivalry with Buffalo... xsmhx xrolleyesx

bkrownd
August 30th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Does UMASS count as a Big Game if they are a transitional FBS school? I know they are still FCS, but they aren't in the playoffs.

We are still in shock - please throw us a bone before we jump into the abyss. This is the last year I can enjoy what's left of the I-AA version of UMass football. xbawlingx

Dane96
August 30th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Those are all great matchups for sure. That Gate/Albany will get a look from me if I can find it.

Colgate has a live feed.

Now I need to figure out how to full screen it on my plasma.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 30th, 2011, 09:59 PM
We are still in shock - please throw us a bone before we jump into the abyss. This is the last year I can enjoy what's left of the I-AA version of UMass football. xbawlingx

Temple-Umass has the potential to turn into a really good rivalry.

appfan2008
August 31st, 2011, 06:37 AM
I will be at ASU v. VT but the most interesting game on that list to me is GSU v. Samford... that has upset potential written all over it IMO

eaglewraith
August 31st, 2011, 06:58 AM
I will be at ASU v. VT but the most interesting game on that list to me is GSU v. Samford... that has upset potential written all over it IMO

If we lose to them again, I will burn my tickets to the App game.

We've never lost to a conference team 4 years in a row. It won't happen this Saturday either.

Smitty
August 31st, 2011, 07:14 AM
Nah Georgia Southern has the game unfortunately but I would still like to see it entertaining at least...

bkrownd
August 31st, 2011, 03:40 PM
Temple-Umass has the potential to turn into a really good rivalry.

Institutionally, socially, geographically, historically the two schools have little in common as far as I know. (don't bring up the long-dead basketball thing) Their most obvious similarity is being oddball outsiders in the MAC.

UMass does have a history with Buffalo - they used to be our homecoming pansy. :)

THE HERD
August 31st, 2011, 05:19 PM
I think the SUU/SDSU game should be real interesting, as well as SEMO/SIU. Also real interested in our game with the Pards......don't know what to expect out of that Lafayette team. They had a down year last year, but I guess most years they field a pretty good squad. I am expecting it to be close at halftime, but the Bison pull away in the second half, unless we have a couple turnovers than it could get real interesting in the second half. As long as we take care of the ball I don't really see us losing, but crazy stuff can happen in week one. Good luck to everyone this weekend, except for the Pards!

SU DOG
August 31st, 2011, 09:30 PM
Nah Georgia Southern has the game unfortunately but I would still like to see it entertaining at least...

If we can avoid turnovers in the new offense, it will be.

blackfordpu
August 31st, 2011, 10:09 PM
I didn't get to vote but I'd say the WIU vs. SHSU game. Surprised?

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 31st, 2011, 10:38 PM
Institutionally, socially, geographically, historically the two schools have little in common as far as I know. (don't bring up the long-dead basketball thing) Their most obvious similarity is being oddball outsiders in the MAC.

UMass does have a history with Buffalo - they used to be our homecoming pansy. :)

I don't see it like that. The biggest difference is location. Both are very similar academically and athletically. Socially they are different. Umass obviously has deep New England roots and draws from that demographic. The only real overlapping applicant pool would be the North Jersey/NYC metro area.

Big Cats
September 1st, 2011, 08:46 AM
SIU/SEMO and NDSU/Lafayette. Gotta go with the MVFC teams. UMass/Holy Cross should be a good one, however

Twentysix
September 1st, 2011, 09:11 AM
SUU SDSU is the game im most interested in..