PDA

View Full Version : CSN Classic: Top 10 I-AA Rivalries

CSN-info
August 26th, 2011, 06:30 AM
This is an installment in a series of historical articles published by CSN during its first decade of life. This piece was a part of the 2004 I-AA.org Fall Preview print magazine. The very first full size color cover preview magazine only about the highest level of NCAA championship football.

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=606&cid=18

CSN Classic: Top 10 I-AA Rivalries
BY SEAN BRENNAN, JULY 2004, I-AA.ORG MAGAZINE

Did you know?
-That the 3 most played rivalries in all of college football are between teams currently in Division I-AA?
-That only 1 Division I-A rivalry even cracks the top 10 most-played?
-That Yale has played Princeton more often than Harvard?

Here we attempt the difficult task of ranking the top Division I-AA rivalries. The rankings are based on a combination of shear quantities of games played, the illustrious history and age of the series, the magnitude of the game itself, and of course the deep-rooted hatred these teams have for each other. ...

Read More (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?558-CSN-Classic-Top-10-I-AA-Rivalries)

Pard4Life
August 26th, 2011, 06:47 AM
How is Lafayette-Lehigh not your number one? We are not in the Ivy League because our brand of football was too rowdy at the time. Forget those H-Y tea dolie games.

appfan2008
August 26th, 2011, 06:53 AM
OLD NEWS... this was published 7 years ago!

TheRevSFA
August 26th, 2011, 07:53 AM
it's time y'all update the article since WKU is in FBS...perhaps replace it with BOTPW?

813Jag
August 26th, 2011, 08:27 AM
#3 is my favorite, hopefully this year's version will be better.

Tribe93
August 26th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Indeed, an old article but how can it be a great rivalry when Appy has owned WCU? A rivalry needs to be competitive.

RabidRabbit
August 26th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Also could now add in the Dakota Marker (SDSU/NDSU), Nickel (UND/NDSU), and SDSU/USD, which weren't part of FCS in 04.

Smitty
August 26th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Indeed, an old article but how can it be a great rivalry when Appy has owned WCU? A rivalry needs to be competitive.

While it is true we don't win a lot in the rivalry it is still a fun game.

StorminASU
August 26th, 2011, 09:31 AM
While it is true we don't win a lot in the rivalry it is still a fun game.

I think even using the word rivalry is getting to be a bit of a stretch for an App fan though. I get much more hyped up about the GSU and even Furman game than I do for WCU. WCU is more of an afterthought. The only reason I get excited about Wofford or Elon is to shut down whatever player they're hyping as their star. Love seeing Brinenstein (not even close to right spelling) and Riddle/Hudgins (who will it be this year?) get shut down, but I don't consider these two rivals, so WCU doesn't have a chance.

katstrapper
August 26th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Sam Houston State and Stephen F Austin is the second oldest football rivalry in Texas which began in 1923 and is a true rivalry. These two schools DO NOT like each each.

TheRevSFA
August 26th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Sam Houston State and Stephen F Austin is the second oldest football rivalry in Texas which began in 1923 and is a true rivalry. These two schools DO NOT like each each.

I'd cheers you on that..but I don't like you.

100%GRIZ
August 26th, 2011, 12:53 PM
All I gotta say is the bobcats SUCK!

Twentysix
August 26th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Even if the game hasnt been played since 2003, I fail to see how NDSU v UND doesnt make any of your lists. (When updated)

NDSU and UND have been playing eachother since 1894, they did not play in '04-present. And NDSU did not have a football team in 1918 1943 or 1944.

Thats still 106 years of playing eachother. And in the early years, NDSU and UND played multiple times in the regular season. And I know in the 80s or 90s they would play in the regular season then meet in the playoffs.

No way an updated rivalry page doesnt include this game.

The nickel has been played for atleast 65 times.

ValleyChamp
August 26th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Even if the game hasnt been played since 2003, I fail to see how NDSU v UND doesnt make any of your lists. (When updated)

NDSU and UND have been playing eachother since 1894, they did not play in '04-present. And NDSU did not have a football team in 1918 1943 or 1944.

Thats still 106 years of playing eachother. And in the early years, NDSU and UND played multiple times in the regular season. And I know in the 80s or 90s they would play in the regular season then meet in the playoffs.

No way an updated rivalry page doesnt include this game.

The nickel has been played for atleast 65 times.

It simply cannot be a top rivalry when the two schools do not play each other anymore.

Apphole
August 26th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Western App is a one-way rivalry

Jaguar79
August 26th, 2011, 02:51 PM
#3 is my favorite, hopefully this year's version will be better.

YES SIR! Can't beat the Bayou weekend.

I would like to try #5 one day just to see what the big whoop is.

DG Cowboy
August 26th, 2011, 02:59 PM
McNeese-Northwestern State has had its moments over the years.

813Jag
August 26th, 2011, 03:15 PM
YES SIR! Can't beat the Bayou weekend.

I would like to try #5 one day just to see what the big whoop is.
I always have a good time when I go. The atmosphere to me has a different feel than the Bayou Classic, but it's alot of fun.

Twentysix
August 26th, 2011, 03:15 PM
It simply cannot be a top rivalry when the two schools do not play each other anymore.

They will. We have already played in many other sports. Unlike with UNI its not just a football rivalry.