PDA

View Full Version : I-AA vs. Playoff: Why the Excitement?

carney2
April 2nd, 2006, 12:43 PM
This supposed change from I-A/I-AA to BCS/Playoff appears to me much ado about nothing. Probably no conferences - and very few individual schools - will move from their current situation. It's titles and semantics; nothing more. So, what's the big deal? Enlighten me.

PapaBear
April 2nd, 2006, 12:51 PM
This supposed change from I-A/I-AA to BCS/Playoff appears to me much ado about nothing. Probably no conferences - and very few individual schools - will move from their current situation. It's titles and semantics; nothing more. So, what's the big deal? Enlighten me.

I'm with you, C2. Maybe I'm missing the obvious.

I mean, there are still going to be 63-schollie schools and there are still going to be 85-schollie schools. I can't see much chance of any switching funding levels. Maybe a few, but certainly not enough to warrant the kind of attention this is getting.

Just my admittedly uneducated (on this subject) opinion.

Someone please bring more facts and plausible scenarios, so us foggy folks can play.

April 2nd, 2006, 01:08 PM
Uh, the highest level of college football is changing its name... I can see that raising attention.

PapaBear
April 2nd, 2006, 02:02 PM
Uh, the highest level of college football is changing its name... I can see that raising attention.

That's what all the fuss is about? Really? Just the fast the Division I is getting rid of its "A"s?

Maybe I'm too close to the game, itself. ;)

April 2nd, 2006, 02:15 PM
Yeah, the largest college sport is changing its name at the top level. It's really to get it in line with all other sports in college that don't have "A"s. It may seem trivial to some but think of all the ancillary things that will have to change as well. Anywhere the "A"s exist will change... not the least of which is in our conversations. TV, Newspapers, Radio, Internet, record books, etc..... I can understand the hubbub.

rokamortis
April 2nd, 2006, 02:16 PM
Count me in with you guys. Doesn't mean squat to me.

A rose by any other name is still a rose.

rokamortis
April 2nd, 2006, 02:17 PM
Yeah, the largest college sport is changing its name at the top level. It's really to get it in line with all other sports in college that don't have "A"s. It may seem trivial to some but think of all the ancillary things that will have to change as well. Anywhere the "A"s exist will change... not the least of which is in our conversations. TV, Newspapers, Radio, Internet, record books, etc..... I can understand the hubbub.

Yeah but all of that really only affects I-AA as most I-A schools are called D-I by the average person. plus they are already known as BCS schools as well.

April 2nd, 2006, 02:23 PM
The vast majority of media use the "A"s as do printed publications.

Whenever the NCAA changes its nomenclature its a big thing.

April 2nd, 2006, 02:25 PM
Its the end of an era.

rokamortis
April 2nd, 2006, 03:01 PM
Its the end of an era.

being a little over dramtaic eh ralph? It isn't the end of an era - just changing the name.

When they a) stop counting how many I-AA schools a I-A can play for bowl eligibility and b) make players sit out a year for transferring from a I-A to I-AA then maybe it will be the end of an era.

Saint3333
April 2nd, 2006, 03:44 PM
I believe losing the A's will help lose the "division 2" stigma held by a large percentage of the casual sports fan. The NCAA hasn't done much to help the image of 1-AA in a long time (I'd argue if ever).

Lionsrking
April 2nd, 2006, 04:22 PM
The vast majority of media use the "A"s as do printed publications.

Whenever the NCAA changes its nomenclature its a big thing.

It's a big deal to people who follow I-AA closely but to the average college football fan, the name change won't make much difference. They are still going to refer to the BCS teams as D-I and everybody else as D-II or whatever. It's just the way it is. Maybe over a period of time the change will eventually sink in but it won't change the big guy/little guy perception.

bobcatfan06
April 2nd, 2006, 05:37 PM
It's a big deal to people who follow I-AA closely but to the average college football fan, the name change won't make much difference. They are still going to refer to the BCS teams as D-I and everybody else as D-II or whatever. It's just the way it is. Maybe over a period of time the change will eventually sink in but it won't change the big guy/little guy perception.

The only way it will change is if major news markets start caring about the PCS. As of now the major news markets could care less about I-AA.

April 2nd, 2006, 05:58 PM
Wow, you folks are a bit out of touch huh? Ever seen a I-AA game on NBC/ABC/CBS/ESPN/FOX? I have. Ever seen them mentioned on their news shows? I have. Ever heard or read any media station use the terms I-A and/or I-AA? I have, every single day.

Again, this name change is not to make it seem as if the playoffs and the BCS are the same, it's to make nomenclature consistent for all sports.

It's a big nomenclature change.

rokamortis
April 2nd, 2006, 06:02 PM
Again, this name change is not to make it seem as if the playoffs and the BCS are the same, it's to make nomenclature consistent for all sports.

It's a big nomenclature change.

I don't really get that argument either. I-A and I-AA are both DI. BCS and PCS are again both DI. Both of the options apply to football only. The change is to help all of the sports in an athletic department get out of the I-AA stigma? What is to stop people from saying - 'oh they play PCS baskeball'?

Tod
April 2nd, 2006, 06:12 PM
So I assume this means I-A will never go playoff? Otherwise, this move would make no sense.

April 2nd, 2006, 06:33 PM
I don't really get that argument either. I-A and I-AA are both DI. BCS and PCS are again both DI. Both of the options apply to football only. The change is to help all of the sports in an athletic department get out of the I-AA stigma? What is to stop people from saying - 'oh they play PCS baskeball'?All D-I plays playoff championship basketball already. "PCS" is in all sports except BCS.

All sports will be simply D-I/II/III.

April 2nd, 2006, 06:35 PM
So I assume this means I-A will never go playoff? Otherwise, this move would make no sense.Maybe they are preparing to break with the BCS? :eek:

I-AA Fan
April 2nd, 2006, 07:55 PM
First of all; what makes everyone think the catalyst of this change has anything to do with what is now I-AA? Clearly the big-6+ conferences want to separate ...this is the driving force. Where do you think they want mid-major programs to go?

Second. Anyone that follows I-AA ...knows there is a "I" in front of the "AA". This idea that it is considered DII is not relevant. PCS will still be considered below BCS ... thus the DII thinking will still be there. So;

Third. Assuming no teams are forced down ...There is no stigma associated with "I-AA", that will not be equally associated with "PCS". Recruiting will be no easier, money games will be no easier to win.

Simply put, there is no obvious reason to do this, and it makes no sense, unless there is something coming that we are not looking for. So, if the change comes ... there is something going to happen, and it will not be to the benefit of I-AA football teams. So, let's look at this from the standpoint of the NCAA and the BCS teams:

1. The NCAA is going to do anything they can to keep as many teams directly in their control as possible, the obvious way to do this is to limit the number of BCS teams.

2. BCS teams equally want to limit the number of BCS-member clubs, to maximize the number of teams involved in games broadcast on major television ...while simutaneously limiting the number of teams that will be receiving a share this revenue.

3. IA vs. I-AA money games are only allowed as they give IA teams (which now have no bye-week with 12-game schedules) the best chance for a win. Why are all of the Big-10 teams picking up I-AA teams on future schedules, even though teams in the conference have to rotate playing each other. If there was no concern for a guaranteed win, why are these teams not seizing the extra game as an opportunity to play all conference members, every year? Because they know they will need to play other BCS conference teams, and need a game they know they can win.

carney2
April 2nd, 2006, 09:12 PM
I believe losing the A's will help lose the "division 2" stigma held by a large percentage of the casual sports fan. The NCAA hasn't done much to help the image of 1-AA in a long time (I'd argue if ever).

Not so much. The Big Sky, SoCon, A-10, whatever will still be "club football," as one of my friends calls I-AA, to much of America.

April 2nd, 2006, 09:25 PM
... The Big Sky, SoCon, A-10, whatever will still be "club football," as one of my friends calls I-AA, to much of America.Care to give examples as to what you call "much of America"? Maybe you need some better informed friends or are you folks just BCS fans?

kardplayer
April 2nd, 2006, 09:37 PM
Will Lehigh still play Lafayette every year?

Will the Patriot League champion still get an autobid to play in the playoffs against the schools it gets to play against now?

Will Any Given Saturday still exist?

Will the scores of all of the playoff schools still show up on the ESPN ticker, Yahoo! and on Tellme so I can keep track of what's going on in the world easily?

As long as the answer to all those questions is "yes", then I don't see why I should care what they call it.

The fact of the matter is, you're either a fan of the schools and the system or you're not a fan of the schools and the system. Getting hung up on I-AA vs. Division I PCS seems to me to be a waste of thought.

To me, this has the same effect as when the NHL got rid of the cool division names and went to directional names a few years ago. I was bummed to not call them the Patrick, Norris, et al, but it didn't change my interest in the game.

April 2nd, 2006, 09:43 PM
... As long as the answer to all those questions is "yes", then I don't see why I should care what they call it...Answers are yes. The topic here may be misguided, there's no excitement in the name change for football... yet. It's just important because it's happening.

ASU Kep
April 2nd, 2006, 11:09 PM

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :bow: :bow: :bow: :)

Cat79
April 2nd, 2006, 11:33 PM
Ralph,

I thought one proposal had the top four PCS teams going into a bowl playoff against Sunbelt, WAC, Mountain West or Conference USA team. The idea proposed was for the non BCS conferences to playoff to get a shot at a BCS type bowl. Was that plan scrapped?

carney2
April 3rd, 2006, 12:17 PM
Care to give examples as to what you call "much of America"? Maybe you need some better informed friends or are you folks just BCS fans?

I even edited out "most" and substituted "much" so that I wouldn't have to get into this. Actually, I live in a part of the country where I-AA is "hot." Most of my friends and neighbors have some familiarity with the Patriot Legue and could name at least 6 of the Ivy League schools if pressed on the issue. They are on top of - and actually care about - the Lehigh-Lafayette rivalry. Beyond that, they know and/or care nothing about I-AA. Big Sky, Southern Conference, A-10, who won last year's I-AA championship, how many teams in the I-AA playoff? They don't have a clue. All they "know for sure" about all of these nameless faceless schools is that none of them would have a chance if placed on the same field with Southern California, Texas, Ohio State, et al, and are therefore not worth a moment's thought. Ergo, "club football."

There ya go, Ralphie boy. But you knew all of that. So why did you ask? You know as well as I that we share a unique passion that is not on the radar screen for most (I use this word intentionally here) Americans.

A semi-serious response to what I assume was a humorous wise a$$ comment.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 3rd, 2006, 12:38 PM
...Most of my friends and neighbors have some familiarity with the Patriot League and could name at least 6 of the Ivy League schools if pressed on the issue. They are on top of - and actually care about - the Lehigh-Lafayette rivalry. Beyond that, they know and/or care nothing about I-AA. Big Sky, Southern Conference, A-10, who won last year's I-AA championship, how many teams in the I-AA playoff? They don't have a clue....

Somehow I seriously doubt that your circle of friends and neighbors neglected to find out that Lafayette played at Appalachian State in the I-AA playoffs. Granted, you can't get more than 5,000 fans to a Lafayette/Princeton game in perfect early fall weather, so to some extent I beleive you, but I do believe you're overplaying your hand here.

I do know on the Lehigh side of the rivalry many fans do know about and care about our standing in the rest of I-AA. Some would rather go 1-10 and just beat Lafayette, but most of the fans I talk to sure don't. They want to win EVERY game. The truth is, once you start winning PL championships, like Lafayette has done the past two years, you start to think about "what more there is to do" and at-large berths to the playoffs, and you follow it more.

Ralph wants us all to see that the impact of losing I-AA and gaining PCS is a significant change. I don't think we know the answer to how much of a change it will be, and we don't know if now Lehigh, Delaware, Lafayette, Appalachian State, Central Connecticut State, Kent State, Ohio State and USC will all be grouped together in the same breath by fans.... of if Kent St. gets grouped with us.. or if the traditional "divisions" remain totally the same with only the name changing. I think unfairly maligning our division as being seen as "club football" isn't helpful. Do you like being seen as "club football"? Then it's up to you to educate your friends.

I have friends that focus on the rivalry, and prefer that to everything else, but my friends also know that we're in I-AA, we're nationally-ranked and we're in the playoffs. Sounds like a failure on your part, not Ralph's.

catbob
April 3rd, 2006, 12:57 PM
Face it - most of you guys should be concerned with attendance at your own school. Get fans in the seats and IAA won't be smalltime anymore.

And if that is the way you like it, why are you complaining about this name change if you don't think it will change anything?

At the very worst, the name change won't change a thing. More good can come from this than bad.

I would love for IAA to make positive strides in reacher a wider audience. Some of you seem to be against that?

PMB4Life
April 3rd, 2006, 04:55 PM
Catbob is absolutely RIGHT. And you can bite his shiny metal @$$, too.

rokamortis
April 3rd, 2006, 07:06 PM
I would love for IAA to make positive strides in reacher a wider audience. Some of you seem to be against that?

I want IAA to make positive strides as well - no doubt about it. The name change doesn't help that in the least amount.