StorminASU
August 25th, 2011, 03:17 PM
http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082511aad.html

Saint3333
August 25th, 2011, 03:22 PM
This is a bad idea.

Gringer1
August 25th, 2011, 03:24 PM
App should never play Michigan again. A loss is certain because the wolverines will be out for blood. Allowing Michigan to get redemption and erase some of Appy's bragging rights is just terrible. Take your iconic win and run with it.

R3TRO
August 25th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I happen to agree. Quit while ahead.

AppChicago
August 25th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Yep. Dumb idea. I don't see the point.

Mountaineer
August 25th, 2011, 03:30 PM
It's not often I have the desire to kick Charlie Cobb in the nuts, but I'd put everything behind a free kick for this one.

Stupid idea. Keep the 1-0 record against the Wolverines.

Smitty
August 25th, 2011, 03:36 PM
I wonder if there is a big sum of money or a favor going down for this game. Retribution for Michigan and a big check/favor for App to meet again.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 25th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I wonder if there is a big sum of money or a favor going down for this game. Retribution for Michigan and a big check/favor for App to meet again.

If they wanted to do a favor a they should have played the game in Charlotte. Make sure App State gets 25k tickets, KBS East, sell the rest to Michigan fans and call it a road game. This is what WVU is doing against JMU.

AtlantaMountaineer
August 25th, 2011, 03:40 PM
I hope it's a big check because we have to reschedule the opening game with McNeese State to play this game. I say we should have left well enough alone unless there is an extremely big pay day in this.

boonedocks
August 25th, 2011, 03:42 PM
App should never play Michigan again. A loss is certain because the wolverines will be out for blood. Allowing Michigan to get redemption and erase some of Appy's bragging rights is just terrible. Take your iconic win and run with it.

This.

Mountaineer
August 25th, 2011, 03:43 PM
If they wanted to do a favor a they should have played the game in Charlotte. Make sure App State gets 25k tickets, KBS East, sell the rest to Michigan fans and call it a road game. This is what WVU is doing against JMU.

Now that would be pretty cool. :D

At the minimum I hope App is getting a ridiculously large payday for this game

Go...gate
August 25th, 2011, 03:45 PM
An ill-considered decision.

crossfire07
August 25th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I hope it's a big check because we have to reschedule the opening game with McNeese State to play this game. I say we should have left well enough alone unless there is an extremely big pay day in this.

If this series gets pushed to 2015 or later, I think McNeese should just take the 250k and move on. App will have probably moved up by then and the reason the deal was made in the first place will be gone.

Skjellyfetti
August 25th, 2011, 04:01 PM
I don't think it's a bad decision. Game will get more national publicity than any game we could possibly play.

No one cares about having a 1-0 record against Michigan except message board fans. The publicity and money is much more important, imo.

crossfire07
August 25th, 2011, 04:01 PM
"We look forward to facing Appalachian State again," said U-M Athletic Director Dave Brandon.

I bet they do!

crossfire07
August 25th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I don't think it's a bad decision. Game will get more national publicity than any game we could possibly play.

No one cares about having a 1-0 record against Michigan except message board fans. The publicity and money is much more important, imo.

How much do you think App is going to make off of that game? You will probably start off 250k in the hole.

Skjellyfetti
August 25th, 2011, 04:06 PM
How much do you think App is going to make off of that game? You will probably start off 250k in the hole.

Huh? Why do you think that?

Mountaineer

Relax man. We're coming to Lake Charles in 2014. The date is being arranged. No need to hit the panic button just yet.

boonegoon
I think leave well enough alone. However, how cool would it be for Michigan to come to Boone?

AtlantaMountaineer
August 25th, 2011, 04:14 PM
App plays at Montana and at Georgia in 2013, at Michigan and at McNeese in 2014. Our motto has been to play Anybody, Anywhere, Anytime. But that's some touch scheduling.

dbackjon
August 25th, 2011, 04:19 PM
App plays at Montana and at Georgia in 2013, at Michigan and at McNeese in 2014. Our motto has been to play Anybody, Anywhere, Anytime. But that's some touch scheduling.

Except a home and home with NAU xcoffeex

Skjellyfetti
August 25th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Except a home and home with NAU xcoffeex

Yeah, and we're also afraid to sign a home and home with Savannah State and NC A&T. xrolleyesx

dbackjon
August 25th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Yeah, and we're also afraid to sign a home and home with Savannah State and NC A&T. xrolleyesx

We wanted a home and home. you refused. We still came out there. NAU is the anytime/anywhere team - not Appy

asumike83
August 25th, 2011, 04:31 PM
If App in the FBS by 2014, the payday should be nice regardless. It should be even higher than average since they are getting a shot at revenge.

However, I'm really not upset about it. If the plan is to go FBS, what better way to get your name out there than go up to Ann Arbor for a re-match of one of the biggest upsets of all time. If ASU is able to be competitive in this game (and Michigan definitely hasn't done anything to indicate otherwise - UMass last year), it will be a victory for us. Plus, I imagine there are some recruits that would enjoy taking a shot at the Wolverines.

The Cats
August 25th, 2011, 04:32 PM
This is a bad idea.

Probably the only time I've ever agreed with you.

Skjellyfetti
August 25th, 2011, 04:34 PM
We wanted a home and home. you refused. We still came out there. NAU is the anytime/anywhere team - not Appy

I think anyone would take a home game vs. a home and home if the other team is willing.

And, who is the toughest OOC FCS team NAU has played since they played App? Have they played a playoff team OOC since then?

eiu1999
August 25th, 2011, 04:39 PM
If the reason is a huge payday, it's not worth it.

Apphole
August 25th, 2011, 04:39 PM

Don't forget UNCC in the list of scrubs that are not worthy of a home and home with us.

Mikeyosef
August 25th, 2011, 04:40 PM
You have to know they want to remove that mark we left on their reputation. They will be out for blood...so what, anyone thinking they weren't out for blood in the second half of the last game wasn't watching. I was at that game and it was no fluke. Sure they weren't ready for us but they practiced the same in that preseason as in any other. NO, I don't think we have much of a chance; the same opinion I had when we last beat them. Just goes to show you can't discount the "any given saturday" saying. On another note; one of my favorite stories about that big win happened as we were leaving: A gentleman wearing a worn Michigan hat, I'd say in his 60s, came up to me in my App hat, smiled at me, shook my hand and said "Thank you for coming, I hope you had a good time, because you are NEVER coming back." Guess he wasn't in charge of scheduling.

asumike83
August 25th, 2011, 04:40 PM

ASU is anytime/anywhere within reason. We made an exception for Montana, but I can see the hesitation in scheduling a home-and-home with a team all the way across the country. You guys had a bit more incentive to take a shot at us than we did to return the favor with that much travel involved.

Skjellyfetti
August 25th, 2011, 04:41 PM

Why? To risk some head-to-head record that doesn't count for anything?

We'll get a big pay day out of it. There will be a lot of publicity about the rematch. This is great for App.

49RFootballNow
August 25th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Don't forget UNCC in the list of scrubs that are not worthy of a home and home with us.

Busy tracking bumper stickers around Charlotte again? Does the World Famous Trucker Advertising Map help with that?

Not sure giving Michigan another shot was the best BCS scheduling App could do.

Skjellyfetti
August 25th, 2011, 04:46 PM

Says the guy with this schedule as his signature:

Aug. 31 Campbell
Sept. 7 Chowan
Sept. 14 North Carolina Central
Sept. 21 at Old Dominion
Oct. 5 Gardner-Webb
Oct. 12 UNC Pembroke
Oct. 26 at Charleston Southern
Nov. 2 at Coastal Carolina
Nov. 9 North Greenville
Nov. 23 at Morehead State

Sorry, afraid you aren't in a position to criticize us for playing Michigan twice in a decade.
xlolx

eiu1999
August 25th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Why? To risk some head-to-head record that doesn't count for anything?

We'll get a big pay day out of it. There will be a lot of publicity about the rematch. This is great for App.

Wouldn't you want to tout your last game against Michigan was a win? If you want a big payday, go play Notre Dame or Wisconsin, Florida...

49RFootballNow
August 25th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Says the guy with this schedule as his signature:

Aug. 31 Campbell
Sept. 7 Chowan
Sept. 14 North Carolina Central
Sept. 21 at Old Dominion
Oct. 5 Gardner-Webb
Oct. 12 UNC Pembroke
Oct. 26 at Charleston Southern
Nov. 2 at Coastal Carolina
Nov. 9 North Greenville
Nov. 23 at Morehead State

xlolx

Just saying I'd rather have a 1-0 record against Michigan than 1-1.

How you going to leave out Presby?

Skjellyfetti
August 25th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Wouldn't you want to tout your last game against Michigan was a win? If you want a big payday, go play Notre Dame or Wisconsin, Florida...

Just saying I'd rather have a 1-0 record against Michigan than 1-1.

I don't care about this record nearly as much as y'all do. Yeah, we have a 1-0 record against Michigan. Whoopdee doo. I'd much rather have the money they'll pay us and the publicity that is sure to come with this game.

What other games could we have signed for 2014 that would be an immediate headline on ESPN.com?
http://oi55.tinypic.com/35ko6zn.jpg

Apphole
August 25th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Busy tracking bumper stickers around Charlotte again? Does the World Famous Trucker Advertising Map help with that?

I just have my eyes open when I drive in Charlotte. That's how I arrive to my destination safely and how I came to that conclusion in addition to reading other people's forum posts who say the same. Anyway, App will never ever ever play at UNCC. That would be like Michigan playing us in Boone

DSUrocks07
August 25th, 2011, 05:02 PM
"Appalachian State will receive $800,000 if it is an FCS team. That figure goes up to $1 million if the Mountaineers are members of the FBS."

Read this in another article...

49RFootballNow
August 25th, 2011, 05:05 PM
I just have my eyes open when I drive in Charlotte. That's how I came to that conclusion in addition to reading other people's forum posts who say the same. Anyway, App will never ever ever play at UNCC. That would be like Michigan playing us in Boone

I'd prefer methheads in general didn't drive on Charlotte streets, with or without their eyes opened looking for Appy stickers.

You'll be happy to know I saw one Appy sticker on a car in the parking lot uptown today. It was right beside a 2011 Gamecocks Club Sustaining Member sticker. Guess that Mountaineer fan spends most of his Saturdays in Columbia, bummer dude!

AtlantaMountaineer
August 25th, 2011, 05:08 PM
The article I read said $850,000 if still FCS and $1,000,000 if BCS. Guess that will help pay the fee to escape the Socon.

asumike83
August 25th, 2011, 05:09 PM
I don't care about this record nearly as much as y'all do. Yeah, we have a 1-0 record against Michigan. Whoopdee doo. I'd much rather have the money they'll pay us and the publicity that is sure to come with this game.

What other games could we have signed for 2014 that would be an immediate headline on ESPN.com?
http://oi55.tinypic.com/35ko6zn.jpg

Exactly. We could get a big payday from many schools (well, maybe not if that $850K-$1M number above is accurate), but none would generate this much exposure. It is a headline on ESPN an hour after it's announced, it will be talked about a little now and a ton in 2014 leading up to the game. You can't buy that kind of exposure, much less pass up an offer to get paid close to a million for it.

Uncle Rico's Clan
August 25th, 2011, 05:09 PM
$800,000 is a lot, but I figured the payday would have been $1 million either way. I would assume Michigan has wanted to schedule this re-match for quite a while now, and App would have had a lot of leverage to get a huge payday.

Apphole
August 25th, 2011, 05:11 PM
I'd prefer methheads in general didn't drive on Charlotte streets, with or without their eyes opened looking for Appy stickers.

You'll be happy to know I saw one Appy sticker on a car in the parking lot uptown today. It was right beside a 2011 Gamecocks Club Sustaining Member sticker. Guess that Mountaineer fan spends most of his Saturdays in Columbia, bummer dude!
Ha! Interesting, I just has a conversation with a UNCC alum last week about you couldn't drive anywhere without seeing at least 3 App stickers. It didn't bother him, he's a UNC fan.

49RFootballNow
August 25th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Ha! Interesting, I just has a conversation with a UNCC alum last week about you couldn't drive anywhere without seeing at least 3 App stickers. It didn't bother him, he's a UNC fan.

As are you the second football season is over. No wonder you're good friend. xsmiley_wix

By the way, the Holmes Center called, its so empty without you!:(

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4a/AppHolmesCenter1.jpg

dbackjon
August 25th, 2011, 05:13 PM
The article I read said $850,000 if still FCS and $1,000,000 if BCS. Guess that will help pay the fee to escape the Socon.

That is a nice payout!!

Apphole
August 25th, 2011, 05:14 PM
De-Nile isn't just a river in Africa

49RFootballNow
August 25th, 2011, 05:17 PM
De-Nile isn't just a river in Africa

LOL!

http://www.*****politics.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Pot_Meet_Kettle.jpg

Apphole
August 25th, 2011, 05:18 PM
As are you the second football season is over. No wonder your good friend. xsmiley_wix

blasphemy. I call him a douche all the time for supporting the Holes even though he went to Concord. He explains that his school never offered much in the way of cohesion or pride, plus he cheered for them when he was a kid. Understandable I guess. He hates App if that makes you feel better, but we always attribute that to an inferiority complex.

Skjellyfetti
August 25th, 2011, 05:38 PM
And, I love when we get attention from my favorite college football blog:

EDSBS WELCOMES MICHIGAN BACK TO D-1 COLLEGE FOOTBALL

After a three year stint in relegation, EDSBS is thrilled to officially welcome the University of Michigan back to Division One football. It's been a long, hard climb back to the APL, but we always knew you'd make it back given Michigan's long tradition of football success, organizational commitment to excellence, and daily, unsubtle telephoned threats of bodily harm to Dave Brandon made through a voice distorter that sounded a lot like Jim Delany.

As a celebration of the Wolverines' return, Dave Brandon splurged and scheduled a delicious cupcake game for Brady Hoke's scholar-athletes and MANBALL enthusiasts. He didn't just go to the bargain bin of directional Michigans, however. No, this one's different: a hint of hemp, a bit of moonshine, and a bit of...is that country ham? Why, we never thought that would work with a chocolate cupcake, but we'll be damned if it isn't insanely tasty. Also, we're pretty sure these have weed in them, and why does this taste familiar--

The University of Michigan football program will open the 2014 season with a match-up against Appalachian State University on Aug. 30 at Michigan Stadium.

This works out so well for Michigan. If they wallop App State, they do what they were supposed to with no added bonus. if they eke out a win, there's little vengeance, because "Hey, eight year old who kicked my middle school ***, WHO'S LAUGHING NOW THAT YOU'RE NINE AND I'M, UM, STILL IN MIDDLE SCHOOL." And if they somehow lose, they lose to Appalachian State twice, and we can all agree it would be very weird to see both Mark Dantonio and Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer attempting to smile a human smile at the same time, wouldn't it? Yes, yes it would.

No matter what happens, greater glory is paid the lowest point in the history of the Michigan football program in exchange for national television exposure. This is Michigan football becoming a celebrity rehab patient. This is Michigan's amateur sex tape that no one wants to buy. We're beginning to think Dave Brandon is not a very smart person. We're beginning to also think this will all end with this Michigan team losing this game in 2014, and then beating Florida in the 2015 Outback Bowl.

In conclusion: welcome back to Division One football, Michigan, and Dave Brandon and every other rich person became a millionaire by accident.

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2011/8/25/2384878/edsbs-welcomes-michigan-back-to-d-1-college-football

AppMan
August 25th, 2011, 06:19 PM
I am convinced this will be our first game as a full scholarship FBS program. I am told ESPN brokered the deal and it’s a good bet it was contingent on ASU being a FBS program. A couple of months ago the Study Group announced no decision on FBS would be made at the time and NC budget issues were given as the primary reason. Two months later the budget issues are unchanged yet the committee suddenly decides the time is right for ASU to announce our intentions to move. The motive given this time was so ASU could be positioned to take advantage of any opportunities that came along. The announcement comes out of the blue after a hastily arranged conference call, not after a scheduled meeting. Something else to consider is as an FCS program ASU would receive at most $500,000 for the game. As a FBS program that number doubles to around $1 million. When you toss in a heavy dose of ESPN TV cash the payout could be in the range of $1.3 million for the ASU athletic department.

While part of me wants to hold on to the 1-0 record against UM, the other part of me says if we are going to do this FBS thing right ASU needs to have a anybody, anywhere, anytime mentality. Even if the Wolves beat us 55-0 in round two they can never take that glorious day in 2007 away from us.

bonarae
August 25th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Only time will tell if this will be worth it... xchinscratchx Shouldn't we Ivies be next?

OldFootballGuy
August 25th, 2011, 06:38 PM
$850k if FCS, $1 million if FBS.

Something else to consider is as an FCS program ASU would receive at most $500,000 for the game. As a FBS program that number doubles to around $1 million. When you toss in a heavy dose of ESPN TV cash the payout could be in the range of $1.3 million for the ASU athletic department.

whoanellie
August 25th, 2011, 07:45 PM
I got a Ten spot Jerry Moore retires in 2013!!! Takers?

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082511aad.html

Skjellyfetti
August 25th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Whoa! High roller! $10 whole dollars?

I'm game. Sounds more like wishful thinking on your part, imo.

SideLine Shooter
August 25th, 2011, 09:14 PM
You have to know they want to remove that mark we left on their reputation. They will be out for blood...so what, anyone thinking they weren't out for blood in the second half of the last game wasn't watching. I was at that game and it was no fluke. Sure they weren't ready for us but they practiced the same in that preseason as in any other. NO, I don't think we have much of a chance; the same opinion I had when we last beat them. Just goes to show you can't discount the "any given saturday" saying. On another note; one of my favorite stories about that big win happened as we were leaving: A gentleman wearing a worn Michigan hat, I'd say in his 60s, came up to me in my App hat, smiled at me, shook my hand and said "Thank you for coming, I hope you had a good time, because you are NEVER coming back." Guess he wasn't in charge of scheduling.

I must have talked to the same man that said you will never be invited back.

However, would you not imagine that the week leading up to that game that everyone involved with Michigan Football's azz would be so tight that they wouldn't be able to crap for the whole week? Just what if they did lose 2 in a row to us? I'm just saying.

GreatAppSt
August 25th, 2011, 09:26 PM
I think leave well enough alone. However, how cool would it be for Michigan to come to Boone?

Michigan will be begging to come to KBS by 2018 for a second try at redemtion after we go up and kick that a$$ again. :D

tractorapp
August 25th, 2011, 09:26 PM

Makes no sense financially for App to schedule a home and home with NAU.

dbackjon
August 25th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Makes no sense financially for App to schedule a home and home with NAU.

So you are retracting the anyplace/anywhere... ;)

Saint3333
August 25th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Anybody/anywhere... if the money is right. ASU would lose money if we did a home and home with NAU.

dbackjon
August 25th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Anybody/anywhere... if the money is right. ASU would lose money if we did a home and home with NAU.

Are you getting part of the gate for the McNeese or Montana home and home when you travel?

tarmac
August 25th, 2011, 11:05 PM
In my opinion this is a great game for APP. Great recruiting tool and great national exposure

crossfire07
August 25th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Are you getting part of the gate for the McNeese or Montana home and home when you travel?
"Each home team is providing the visiting squad with a $100,000 guarantee to help offset travel expenses and there is a $250,000 buyout clause for each program."

GaSouthern
August 26th, 2011, 06:48 AM

I'm happy I can be a fan of the game and not an App fan because that is a TOUGH schedule but should provide an awesome viewing experience.

Do me one favor. BEAT THE HELL OUT OF GEORGIA!

appfan2008
August 26th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Here we go again... we better be getting more than 400k for this trip... anyone know specifics?

AppMan
August 26th, 2011, 06:54 AM
$850k if FCS, $1 million if FBS.

Just saw the numbers in the WS Journal story. The highest payout I've seen for a FCS game was the $700 K to Del State from Mich State a year ago. All I can say those guys must really want to pay us back bad.

Skjellyfetti
August 26th, 2011, 07:29 AM
The highest payout I've seen for a FCS game was the $700 K to Del State from Mich State a year ago.

We got $750,000 from LSU in 2008.

McTailGator
August 26th, 2011, 07:31 AM
I'm happy I can be a fan of the game and not an App fan because that is a TOUGH schedule but should provide an awesome viewing experience.

Do me one favor. BEAT THE HELL OUT OF GEORGIA!

It will be tough. They play at Michigan and then @McNeese back to back.

Hopefuly we will sign a deal at a major BCS opponent in week 1 too. Lots of money in a 2 week period for us.

darell1976
August 26th, 2011, 07:39 AM
I say good for App St. Go out and beat the Wolverines for a second time because maybe they didn't learn the first time that an FCS team is not 100% beatable. Go App!!!!!!!!

Saint3333
August 26th, 2011, 08:28 AM

I don't intend any disrespect but those programs are considered tier 1 FCS programs. Montana especially can drive season ticket sales somewhat. We previously did a one and done with McNeese as well, so don't get too upset about our prior deal.

BigApp
August 26th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I got a Ten spot Jerry Moore retires in 2013!!! Takers?

no, word is he's hiring Lloyd Carr to associate head coach for 2014...

BigApp
August 26th, 2011, 09:07 AM
This is a bad idea.

I happen to agree. Quit while ahead.

Yep. Dumb idea. I don't see the point.

It's not often I have the desire to kick Charlie Cobb in the nuts, but I'd put everything behind a free kick for this one.

Stupid idea. Keep the 1-0 record against the Wolverines.

An ill-considered decision.

Yep, a terrible idea. Yet every single one of you will either be glued to the TV watching it, or constantly refreshing your cellphone/internet connection for updates...

xpopcornx

dbackjon
August 26th, 2011, 09:17 AM
I don't intend any disrespect but those programs are considered tier 1 FCS programs. Montana especially can drive season ticket sales somewhat. We previously did a one and done with McNeese as well, so don't get too upset about our prior deal.

I thought you already sold out - how is this going to drive up season ticket sales?

asumike83
August 26th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I thought you already sold out - how is this going to drive up season ticket sales?

We sell out all the single-game tickets but unfortunately, we are a long way from selling out season tix.

AppChicago
August 26th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Yep, a terrible idea. Yet every single one of you will either be glued to the TV watching it, or constantly refreshing your cellphone/internet connection for updates...

xpopcornx

So what? That's true of every Appalachian game for me. The Michigan victory, despite all of our bravado, was unlikely the first time, but we pulled it out. And we were all thrilled beyond words. So why revisit it? I see what Michigan gets out of it. They'll have seven years of locker room material going into that game. But what do we get? A check and a chance for those who enjoy marginalizing FCS teams one more chance to do so?

Sure the game will be notable, but what would be really notable would be if we nailed some other FBS team to the wall in their own house. In fact, let's go play ANY and EVERY other FBS team out there!

This 2014 just seems to me to run the risk of becoming the Matrix Reloaded of football games for me. Of course everyone wanted to relive the first one, but in the end it was just unnecessary.

The Moody1
August 26th, 2011, 09:47 AM
I can't believe the number of people whining about this game. Boo-hoo, we might lose our 1-0 record. Who gives a crap. Let's tighten up the old chin strap and take it to them again. I am already looking forward to another 12 hour road trip.

wmtribe1693
August 26th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Appy can use the huge payout, especially if they move to the FBS. Good for them.

Saint3333
August 26th, 2011, 09:52 AM

xpopcornx

I'll be there just like every other FBS game we've played since 1998 sans UH.

BigApp
August 26th, 2011, 10:18 AM
So what? ... So why revisit it?...They'll have seven years of locker room material...This 2014 just seems to me to run the risk of becoming the Matrix Reloaded of football games for me. Of course everyone wanted to relive the first one, but in the end it was just unnecessary.

I always wondered why we don't play Glenville State any longer. Using this train of thought, now I know why! We'd have 80 years of locker room material and it's unnecessary for them since they have a 2-0 record against us!

xrolleyesxxrolleyesx

Good grief. UM's seniors in 2014 weren't even in high school when that game happened. I doubt any of their coaching staff in 2014 even lived in the state of Michigan in 2007. Locker room material is irrelevant.

xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingx

Come Sept 2014, just curl up in the corner, and suck your thumb. Me, AppSquirt, GAS & Saint will be there cheering. Again. Renewing old aquaintances from the last visit, enjoying what college football is supposed to be about--having fun. Win or Lose.

hapapp
August 26th, 2011, 11:17 AM
BTW, the McNeese game is still on for 2014.

http://www.chron.com/sports/article/Mountaineers-Cowboys-change-game-date-2142507.php

AppChicago
August 26th, 2011, 11:59 AM
I always wondered why we don't play Glenville State any longer. Using this train of thought, now I know why! We'd have 80 years of locker room material and it's unnecessary for them since they have a 2-0 record against us!

xrolleyesxxrolleyesx

Good grief. UM's seniors in 2014 weren't even in high school when that game happened. I doubt any of their coaching staff in 2014 even lived in the state of Michigan in 2007. Locker room material is irrelevant.

xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingx

Come Sept 2014, just curl up in the corner, and suck your thumb. Me, AppSquirt, GAS & Saint will be there cheering. Again. Renewing old aquaintances from the last visit, enjoying what college football is supposed to be about--having fun. Win or Lose.

Jesus, dude. No need to be a douche about it. As I said, I'll be cheering for the 'Neers in this one just like I have in every game since before I started school there, back before anyone knew who Armanti Edwards was, and before I led Richie's orientation tour.

All I'm saying is that the 2007 game was a great moment and I fail to see the upside in rehashing it. There are lots of giants to slay, and I don't see the upside for us, outside of a big payday. Does that mean I won't enjoy this game when the day comes? Of course not. It just means that I fail to see the logic in giving the Wolverines a chance to say "See! 2007 was a total fluke! Thanks for giving us a redo, Appy State!"

asumike83
August 26th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Jesus, dude. No need to be a douche about it. As I said, I'll be cheering for the 'Neers in this one just like I have in every game since before I started school there, back before anyone knew who Armanti Edwards was, and before I led Richie's orientation tour.

All I'm saying is that the 2007 game was a great moment and I fail to see the upside in rehashing it. There are lots of giants to slay, and I don't see the upside for us, outside of a big payday. Does that mean I won't enjoy this game when the day comes? Of course not. It just means that I fail to see the logic in giving the Wolverines a chance to say "See! 2007 was a total fluke! Thanks for giving us a redo, Appy State!"

I can understand your viewpoint and based on some other comments here, you are obviously not alone in your opinion. There are many great FBS programs that we could work on scheduling and the ASU fans would be very excited to get a shot at a Notre Dame, Ohio State, etc., but the timing is key here. In the last 3 days, ASU has announced their intention to move up and a re-match with Michigan in 2014. I think that is no coincidence. You couldn't ask for a better way to get a buzz around your program for fans, recruits and potential conferences. The fans that will go see ASU play regardless like you or myself would be grinning from ear to ear at having a shot at one of the other big programs, but would playing ANY school besides Michigan generate this much exposure for our program? Not a chance, and that is what we need right now.

AppChicago
August 26th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I can understand your viewpoint and based on some other comments here, you are obviously not alone in your opinion. There are many great FBS programs that we could work on scheduling and the ASU fans would be very excited to get a shot at a Notre Dame, Ohio State, etc., but the timing is key here. In the last 3 days, ASU has announced their intention to move up and a re-match with Michigan in 2014. I think that is no coincidence. You couldn't ask for a better way to get a buzz around your program for fans, recruits and potential conferences. The fans that will go see ASU play regardless like you or myself would be grinning from ear to ear at having a shot at one of the other big programs, but would playing ANY school besides Michigan generate this much exposure for our program? Not a chance, and that is what we need right now.

I hear where you're coming from. I just think that the exposure this could generate would not necessarily be the right kind of exposure. If we lose, UofM and the ESPN crowd will say that all is finally right with the world. Best case: We win, which would be huge, but would as likely be used as a shot against Michigan as one for App. I don't want App to be "that team that beat Michigan" forever, and I don't think we will be. I would rather see us grow into the role of giant-slayer-at-large, rather than being associated with Michigan, alone.

Skjellyfetti
August 26th, 2011, 01:43 PM
We're already selling t-shirts for this game.

Gear up for a rematch of the 2007 showdown between Appalachian State and Michigan that shocked Mountaineers and Wolverines fans alike when you sport this 2014 Game Day tee. It features a the team logo printed on the left chest and an Old West-style poster highlighting the event on the back for a look that'll have you ready to witness another upset in The Big House!

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/ads2/547567.jpg?M=

http://shop.goasu.com/COLLEGE_Appalachian_State_Mountaineers/browse/featuredProduct/720901/source/EML11_PTRs_VSMICH_ASTM_A_C_0826B?KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=21500&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=

Y'all that keep harping on protecting our 1-0 record are missing the point.

SpeedkingATL
August 26th, 2011, 03:28 PM
It's an opportunity to get a lot of press, bring home a nice paycheck and the opportunity for the players at App to play in one of the best environments in college football. Why would any decent FCS team turn down an opportunity to play Michigan or any BIG 10/BCS opponent. I made the trip in 07 and I'll be there in 14 if I'm still around.