PDA

View Full Version : TxSt's Maroon and Gold Game

TexasTerror
April 1st, 2006, 05:49 PM
From reading the Bobcat boards, seems everyone was very happy with Chase Wasson's performance. Another performance that sticks out is it seems the 'Cats have found a kicker in a transfer from Div I-A South Florida. I didn't realize Bronson could punt as well.

The Bobcats have the potential to surprise us all after they lost all those guys from last year's I-AA semifinalist squad. With a relatively easy out of conference slate heading into the tough conference play that is the SLC, I'm not sure we'll really see what the 'Cats are made of until SLC play. Best of luck to the 'Cats this year...

Gold Tops Maroon 24-14 in Spring Game

Defense comes up with two touchdowns

April 1, 2006

SAN MARCOS - Texas State red-shirt freshman Bradley George completed 9-of-16 passes for 177 yards and two touchdowns, including a late, fourth-quarter score that secured a 24-14 Gold win in the Bobcats' annual spring game, the Maroon and Gold Classic Saturday.

George's 18-yard touchdown pass to sophomore Adrian Thomas with 1:33 to play gave the Gold team a 10-point lead after trailing early in the contest.

The Gold scored 17 unanswered points after walk-on defensive back Gustavo Gonzalez's 50-yard interception return for a touchdown gave the Maroon a 7-0 lead with 8:19 to play in the first quarter. The Gold would answer on its next series as George would hook up with Utah State transfer Cameron Luke for a 67-yard touchdown pass. The scoring play came one down after George completed a 7-yard pass to Thomas on the series' first play.

Kyle Bronson's 47-yard field goal with 41 seconds to play in the first half gave the Gold a 10-7 lead heading into the locker room. Bronson, a transfer from South Florida, also had two PATs and punted twice on Saturday.

http://txstatebobcats.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/040106aaa.html

TxState_GO_CATS!
April 1st, 2006, 09:24 PM
I don't think our out-of-conference schedule is "relatively easy." We play Tarleton State (Div. II) at home to open--a team that beat you guys a few years ago at your place. That won't be a cake walk. In addition, we play Kentucky and SUU on the road. Because we're not quite as experienced as last year, we could have problems on the road (ESPECIALLY at Kentucky)! Also, we have and improving Northern Colorado team coming to San Marcos--not a gimme either. So...I'd like to hear what you think makes our schedule "relatively easy?" Is it because we didn't schedule UT?xlolx xlolx xlolx

TexasTerror
April 1st, 2006, 09:32 PM
I don't think our out-of-conference schedule is "relatively easy." We play Tarleton State (Div. II) at home to open--a team that beat you guys a few years ago at your place. That won't be a cake walk. In addition, we play Kentucky and SUU on the road. Because we're not quite as experienced as last year, we could have problems on the road (ESPECIALLY at Kentucky)! Also, we have and improving Northern Colorado team coming to San Marcos--not a gimme either. So...I'd like to hear what you think makes our schedule "relatively easy?" Is it because we didn't schedule UT?xlolx xlolx xlolx

Southern Utah and Northern Colorado. When has either team had success as full blown I-AA members? :read: Never. Okay, UNC had that nine or ten win season, but half their schedule was sub Div-I that year as they made their transition up..Texas Southern, when'd they become a solid squad? xidiotx

Kentucky is a I-A, but every school in the SLC has atleast two of those. And quite frankly, each school in the conference has atleast one, if not two I-As that will be tougher than Kentucky. Your schedule is soft. Folks at your school know it. It will get you closer to the wins after coming very close last year to not getting the wins necessary to make the playoffs. Your athletic admin knew as much when they cancelled having two Div II games this year...

kats89
April 1st, 2006, 09:41 PM

blah, blah, blah, blah

TxState_GO_CATS!
April 1st, 2006, 10:59 PM
Southern Utah and Northern Colorado. When has either team had success as full blown I-AA members? :read: Never. Okay, UNC had that nine or ten win season, but half their schedule was sub Div-I that year as they made their transition up..Texas Southern, when'd they become a solid squad? xidiotx

Kentucky is a I-A, but every school in the SLC has atleast two of those. And quite frankly, each school in the conference has atleast one, if not two I-As that will be tougher than Kentucky. Your schedule is soft. Folks at your school know it. It will get you closer to the wins after coming very close last year to not getting the wins necessary to make the playoffs. Your athletic admin knew as much when they cancelled having two Div II games this year...

i'm glad your in our administration...:rolleyes:

k, i must admit that i forgot about texas southern. but, seen as how northern colorado slammed you guys last year, i don't think of them as an easy team. And with SUU...the last few times we've gone down to Cedar City, we've lost. my argument was that though we may have one of the easier OOC schedules in our conference (mostly due to the hurricane situation and the LA schools needing money), it's not as easy as it may seem. hell, two of our "easy opponents" beat you guys in the last few years...:read:

darussian12
April 1st, 2006, 11:51 PM
whatever Sam fans want to debate(Kats89) that our out of conf sched is easy...hey they are Div I teams that will help reach the usual req for 7 wins...i dont blame out AD for dropping the D-II games....hmm would you rather play a D-II game that gets you no closer to the playoffs with a win or a crappy D-I team that helps you get into the playoffs with a win...im happy for our sched but agree that it all wont matter till the conf games start and we clean it up in the SLC :-)...so theres some blah blah blah for you :-)

April 2nd, 2006, 12:05 AM
omigawd it's happening again... Texas shootout on the Discussion board! Please take it to smack... please.

darussian12
April 2nd, 2006, 12:09 AM
my bad :-)...usually i just stay on our board and read but not reply on here as seen by being a memeber sinde nov with 14 posts but lately a couple of posts have caught my attention too much to ignore...ill try to keep my bitching under control on this board at least :-)

April 2nd, 2006, 12:15 AM
my bad :-)...usually i just stay on our board and read but not reply on here as seen by being a memeber sinde nov with 14 posts but lately a couple of posts have caught my attention too much to ignore...ill try to keep my bitching under control on this board at least :-)Naw, I meant more those other two. They and others have been going round and round since day one but we try to keep the smackin on the smack board (there's a current thread there anyway) and leave the Discussion board for reasoned talk... try to anyway... :)

Keep posting because we all want to hear your insights. Were you at the game?

darussian12
April 2nd, 2006, 01:46 AM
nope...didnt roll out of bed till late...thats why ive been a proponent of late game times...you cant expect most college kids to get up before noon to tailgate and have a fun game atmostphere...all the games ive attended have been evening ones...from what everyone else has said...nothing got settled other then the D having a good showing by now...with QB seeming to be up in the air but im not worried...its spring ball...the real leaders will step up in the heat of the texas summer..so far the choice seems to be between a QB that has a great grasp of our offense and a QB that can just plain chuck the ball...my view i would rather have George who canthrow because you can always learn the schemes esp since its only spring compared to a QB with not as good of an arm because if its not there his third year...well im thinking the strength wont show up ever...and wassom did do pretty well out of the slot the few times he played there last year...im happy with where were at and esp the news that Coach has been signed for 5 more years FINALLY...we will be in good shape for a while :-) .. and yeah i finally found the smack thread...thanks for pointing me in the right direction :-)

kats89
April 2nd, 2006, 11:32 AM
whatever Sam fans want to debate(Kats89) that our out of conf sched is easy...hey they are Div I teams that will help reach the usual req for 7 wins...i dont blame out AD for dropping the D-II games....hmm would you rather play a D-II game that gets you no closer to the playoffs with a win or a crappy D-I team that helps you get into the playoffs with a win...im happy for our sched but agree that it all wont matter till the conf games start and we clean it up in the SLC :-)...so theres some blah blah blah for you :-)

I was "blah, blah, blah" to those two going at it. Now I am gonna "blah,blah,blah" to your comment of "cleaning up in the SLC". You people never change. Ya'll were saying the same crap when ya'll were in your 20 years of doormat football.xcoffeex

Oh and by the way Ralph, I have seen several fans of rival schools go at it on this particular portion of the board. :twocents:

bobcatfan06
April 2nd, 2006, 02:53 PM
nope...didnt roll out of bed till late...thats why ive been a proponent of late game times...you cant expect most college kids to get up before noon to tailgate and have a fun game atmostphere...all the games ive attended have been evening ones...

Ummm, no. It's jut nobody at Texas State cares enough to come out early. Which is a shame. So you are saying that if Texas was to have a 1 oclock game that nobody would be there because "most college kids" don't get up before noon?? Or how about at Montana (for a I-AA example)?? They play all day games, they don't even have lights. So you are saying all of those 25,000 people that go to a Griz game are just locals and alumni, no students? They are "most college kids" also and they get up before noon. Maybe people at Texas State should take some intiative to try to get out to an early game. xcoffeex

darussian12
April 2nd, 2006, 04:48 PM
im saying attendance will be a whole lot better for evening games...part of college football is tailgating and having all the fun before the game starts...most studendts go out on a friday and party or whatever and sleep in their saturdays...its a lot more beneficial for attendance to have a evening or late afternoon game when everyone can get their butts to the stadium, tailgate for their few hours and catch the game...i dont know many many friends of mine that ever get up before noon on a saturday.

kats89
April 2nd, 2006, 08:21 PM
We had the same discussion on the Bearkat Sports Forum concerning day versus night games. IMO, it doesn't matter if the games are at midnight, if a team is not consistently winning, THEN PEOPLE WON'T GO! It's not rocket science. You win, they will come. I guarantee the students that were out partying last year during Tx States run were at the day games.