PDA

View Full Version : Griz poised for a 14th straight playoff.

Ronbo
April 1st, 2006, 08:29 AM
There is some reason to be optimistic in Grizland. From an 8-4 squad in 2005 we'll field alot of experience in 2006. Bobby Hauck states the team is way ahead of last year at this time. We've had just one spring scrimmage and Swogger already seems to have the offense down. It's been reported that he has spent the last few months studying film and has spent countless hours in the OC's office going over the offense.

As you've heard we have 4 new transfers with 2-3 that could make major contributions. Swogger threw for 125 yards and 2 TD's in the first scrimmage. Chambers and Bradshaw both looked strong, fast, and confident.

46 lettermen back. Add the 4 transfers that all lettered at their I-A schools and that's 50 lettermen.

19 players back with 2 starts or more in 2005
17 players back with 4 starts or more in 2005
15 players back with 6 starts or more in 2005

27 defensive lettermen back.
10 defensive players back with 2 starts or more in 2005.
Top 2 interception leaders return and top 3 out of 4.
Top 2 tacklers return, 7 out of the top 10, and 15 out of the top 20.

Offensive skill players that accounted for 3116 yards of a total 4171 yards return.

3 major transfer additions to the offense.

Both kickers return.

Both kick returners are back.

The neggies are having a heck of a time finding stuff to complain about.:smiley_wi

GrizzlyEdd
April 1st, 2006, 11:49 AM
You have such a way with words ronbo...:D

Ronbo
April 1st, 2006, 11:52 AM
Some insight into the transfer players transition.

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/content/grizzlytimes/4_2006/default.htm#gsa

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/content/grizzlytimes/4_2006/swogger.jpg
Swogger

Due to his position and experience as a leader, the 6-foot-5 Swogger may have come into camp with more expectations and more to prove than his three fellow newcomers. Those responsibilities are a relished part of the job, though, for the calm and confident senior, who says his teammates’ responsiveness has been a pleasant surprise.

“I thought it was going to be hard to get my teammates to respect me as the new guy, but that has been one of the easiest things for me,” Swogger said. “I think they have seen that I have been working really hard to learn the offense, in the weight room and everywhere else. – I’m going to go out there and win this starting job this spring. Then, I’m going to lead this team to the conference championship, deep into the playoffs and to the national title.”

Along with his bold prediction, Swogger admitted that he sees UM as a golden opportunity to not only play, but potentially display his skills to professional scouts like Craig Ochs did two years ago. Swogger’s transition has also been eased by what he called Grizzlies’ and Cougars’ comparable practicing and conditioning intensity and schedule.

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/content/grizzlytimes/4_2006/chambers.jpg
Chambers

Chambers’ confidence is on full display when asked what his expectations are for himself next season.

“I want to be the best receiver on the team. I want to be all-conference. I want to be all-American,” Chambers said. “I want to achieve everything possible. I want to do everything but it’s going to take a lot of hard work. I didn’t want to transfer here and be in the same boat as Washington. I want to play and be up there with everybody else in the nation.”

Chambers said that UM’s more physical style of practice could help him reach those goals. He also said that the individual attention from personal friend and UM’s new strength coach Mike Gerber will elevate his game. The conditioning program at UW was built on a standard system that applied to each player and failed to maximize his potential, Chambers said.

Chambers also said that the toughest part of the transition to Montana was the more complex play calls. Washington utilized a singular count for routes, numbered one through nine. Montana’s route numbers depend on the particular formation, Chambers said, so that a single number could represent any number of routes. The culture shock of moving to Montana was also a tough change for Chambers. An avid shoe collector during his time in Seattle, he said that Missoula’s limited shopping and other draws were hard for him to accept.

Bradshaw from Louisville represents UM’s fourth transfer. With senior star Lex Hilliard returning in 2006, Bradshaw’s likely role appears to be as a backup and change-of-pace back. With reported speed of 4.38 seconds in the 40-yard dash, Bradshaw’s elite speed makes him the ideal player for the job behind the bruising Hilliard.

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/content/grizzlytimes/4_2006/bradshaw2.jpg
Reggie Bradshaw

Bradshaw comes to UM with limited experience, seeing action in just 11 games during the 2004 season for Louisville before being buried on the bench last season. His athletic potential came with strong recommendations from his former coaches, though, and he could become the biggest prize of the four transfers.

Bradshaw’s potential could also be maximized by UM’s strong tradition of grooming top running backs such as Yo Humphrey, Justin Green and Hilliard. Former backup to Hilliard, J.R. Waller, said that the work ethic enforced by the former and current running back corps is what helps to make the group special. That work ethic could help Bradshaw eventually realize his exceptional potential.

eagle1
April 1st, 2006, 12:22 PM
How about the Arizona transfer at cornerback? I have heard from some of your fans that he is looking really good back there and actually has d-up Chambers in practice. No doubt that you will be talented on offense but we all know that a championship team must have a respectable defense when playing in the playoffs. I think that this kid will definitely help you in the pass defense department but can you get any pressure on the opposing QB? I am glad to see that your offense is coming together this spring and I am anxious to see the Eagles get going on the 10th. We have a lot of questions to be answered on offense but our defense should be much improved and hopefully consistant. Go Eagles!!!

Ronbo
April 1st, 2006, 01:23 PM
Going to be tough for McElroy as we have both CB's back. He'll start the season as a backup. He has impressed in practice and stays right on Chambers hip step for step. He's very fast and covers well, he could unseat a starter by mid season. He is working as a punt returner also.

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/content/grizzlytimes/4_2006/mcelroy.jpg

McElroy shares Chambers’ culture shock. The senior speedster is originally from the sunny shores of California where he grew up and played junior college ball. From there, he transferred to the University of Arizona, where he felt he was never given a fair chance by the coaches and, thus, was buried in the depth chart.

“[The Arizona coaches] made me get knee surgery to stay on the roster because they discovered I had blown my knee out,” McElroy said. “I had been playing for 5 years on it, though, and I didn’t think I needed [the operation]. The surgery kind of put me out of the rotation and when I got back I was never given the opportunity I had been promised.” McElroy could potentially provide a surprising lift to an already solid Grizzly secondary.

Unlike his fellow transfers, though, he is modest about his chances to crack the starting lineup and swears he is glad to just get a chance to win a job. McElroy said he is only asking for a chance to prove whether he is one of the best defensive backs on the team or one of the worst, a privilege he never received at UA.

The transition has been particularly easy for McElroy, who said he can feel a discernable difference in speed and intensity between Arizona and Montana practices. Like Chambers, he also said that he has already benefited from Gerber’s individual conditioning and feels he is in the best shape of his playing career.

The biggest change has come in practice for McElroy, where he said Arizona would drill on specifics for entire practices at a time. Montana practices are much faster-paced and physical, he said, and players are simply expected to do it right the first time.

Tod
April 1st, 2006, 02:35 PM
This is one of those years that a great O and a great D come together to make a very, very tough team. This is a year that the Griz make another run at an NC, not just make the playoffs. Griz should be at least top five in the pre-season poll, if not one of the top three. Griz fans have to love what we're seeing here. If not for Iowa the first game, I think the Griz could go undefeated this year. In fact, we're going to be so much better than we were last year, if Iowa overlooks us and/or has a weak team (I have no idea), an upset is possible, but obviously unlikely.

My prediction: Griz win it all in 2006. :nod: :nod: :nod:

GrizFamily
April 1st, 2006, 02:56 PM
Granted it is early in the preseason, but I agree that there is reason for optimism.

Tod
April 1st, 2006, 03:03 PM
Granted it is early in the preseason, but I agree that there is reason for optimism.

Yeah, I don't know why I'm so cocky today. :confused: :confused:

I just feel good, I guess. But after reading up on UNH, they're going to be scary good. UNI too.

catbob
April 1st, 2006, 03:20 PM
Someone open up a window. ;)

Tod
April 1st, 2006, 03:25 PM
Someone open up a window. ;)

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :D

eagle1
April 1st, 2006, 04:12 PM
There is know doubt that the Griz are going to have one of the best offenses in the Big Sky next fall but I seriously doubt that your defense will be all that.:twocents: I seriously think that MSU and Weber will have two of the best defenses but also think that EWU may surprise some people as well. We return some very good safties and linebackers and have some solid starting d-lineman. The questions are with depth on the d-line and with some solid young corners stepping into starting roles for us to be successful. I am kind of glad that many people out there aren't expecting much out of us this year because I think that we have the athletes to be a very solid team. I am so glad that we have the Griz at home and the Bobcats early in the conference schedule because both of those will be huge challenges for our young team. Go Eagles!!!

Tod
April 1st, 2006, 04:16 PM
There is know doubt that the Griz are going to have one of the best offenses in the Big Sky next fall but I seriously doubt that your defense will be all that.:twocents: I seriously think that MSU and Weber will have two of the best defenses but also think that EWU may surprise some people as well. We return some very good safties and linebackers and have some solid starting d-lineman. The questions are with depth on the d-line and with some solid young corners stepping into starting roles for us to be successful. I am kind of glad that many people out there aren't expecting much out of us this year because I think that we have the athletes to be a very solid team. I am so glad that we have the Griz at home and the Bobcats early in the conference schedule because both of those will be huge challenges for our young team. Go Eagles!!!

You're wrong about the D. When we went to the NC game in '04, we had something like 22 freshmen and sophomore's either starting or seeing a lot of playing time on D. Those guys are juniors and seniors now. Our D improved a lot last year, when our O was rather poor. This year, especially with the I-A transfers, will see a melding of talent on both sides of the ball that will make us serious contenders.

April 1st, 2006, 04:39 PM
Yeah, I don't know why I'm so cocky today. :confused: :confused:Maybe because Travis Lulay matriculated?? :p

CatFan22
April 1st, 2006, 04:47 PM
Maybe because Travis Lulay matriculated?? :p

Maybe. ;)

Tod
April 1st, 2006, 05:06 PM
Maybe because Travis Lulay matriculated?? :p

I'm sure that has something to do with it. :D

UM
ISU
WSU

Not sure from there. :nod: :nod:

eagle1
April 1st, 2006, 07:41 PM
Sorry, but I just have to disagree that your defense is going to be that good next year. Your secondary was not very good last year against the pass and your defensive line was so so against the run. That is why I was asking about the transfer corner and his impact on the defense. I figured that he would probably end up a starter because of your lack of talent back there. I am not smacking but just giving my opinion. Go Eagles!!!

Ronbo
April 1st, 2006, 08:20 PM
Sorry, but I just have to disagree that your defense is going to be that good next year. Your secondary was not very good last year against the pass and your defensive line was so so against the run. That is why I was asking about the transfer corner and his impact on the defense. I figured that he would probably end up a starter because of your lack of talent back there. I am not smacking but just giving my opinion. Go Eagles!!!

Our pass Defense gave up a season average 208 ypg passing in the most pass happy Conference in IAA plus a pass happy OCC game with Oregon. I think only MSU had a better pass defense in the league. We have everybody back in the backfield and our linebackers, DE's and one starting D-Lineman. We have two backups vying for the open D-Line spot, a 6'4" 280 pounder and a 6'5" 300 pounder. We held teams to 134 ypg rushing, which isn't bad, could get better. Cal Poly hurt our rushing defense average. Their run happy team rushed for over 500 yards in two games. We held Oregon and their All-Pac10 RB to 87 yards rushing. Our Defense was #1 in the Big Sky in points against by over 7 ppg. Our season average was just 18.2 points per game. And just about everybody's back!:D

MR. CHICKEN
April 1st, 2006, 08:22 PM
:eek:............................................. BRAWK!

Ronbo
April 1st, 2006, 08:52 PM
The Defense was #3 in the Country in give away-take away aveage too. Now don't diss our Defense Eagle1, it was our savior in 2005.:nono:

igo4uni
April 1st, 2006, 09:53 PM
If not for Iowa the first game, I think the Griz could go undefeated this year.

You never know. UNI played Iowa pretty tough last year. They beat us, but didn't completely blow us out. Iowa City is a pretty cool place to play, and I would like nothing better than to see Montana beat Iowa in Iowa City. :nod: :nod: :nod:

http://www.applecreekpub.com/hawks/kinnick2.jpg

twentythreeOh4
April 2nd, 2006, 11:25 AM
There is know doubt that the Griz are going to have one of the best offenses in the Big Sky next fall but I seriously doubt that your defense will be all that.:twocents:

I think you are misinformed about the Griz defense. Last year the Griz lead the conference in scoring defense giving up about 18 points per game. Nobody else in the league was under 22 points a game. UM loses only 4 players from their entire 2 deep unit -- keep in mind that UM plays 2 deep at every position -- and about 9 of those players were only sophomores last year. The Griz have a lot of experience returning on the defense and will be one of the top defenses in the Big Sky again this year.

VictorG
April 2nd, 2006, 01:55 PM
Also, as everyone knows, the best defense is a good offense. Even a moderate improvement by the Griz offense this coming year will improve the Griz defense. A few more first downs by the offense each game could easily keep the defense off the field an additional 3 or 4 minutes a game. Best way to improve defensive stats is to keep them sitting on the bench!

eagle1
April 2nd, 2006, 02:43 PM
I just remember the way your secondary looked against the Eags in Missoula last year and they were not very good. I guess our passing offense was just that good last year.:D I still think that WSU and MSU will have tougher d's but once again that is just my opinion. All of this is just talk and speculation and that is why we play the games. Go Eagles!!!

Ronbo
April 2nd, 2006, 02:54 PM
I think you are misinformed about the Griz defense. Last year the Griz lead the conference in scoring defense giving up about 18 points per game. Nobody else in the league was under 22 points a game. UM loses only 4 players from their entire 2 deep unit -- keep in mind that UM plays 2 deep at every position -- and about 9 of those players were only sophomores last year. The Griz have a lot of experience returning on the defense and will be one of the top defenses in the Big Sky again this year.

Big Sky Conference 7 Game Defense

Montana......15.57 ppg
EWU............21.57 ppg
Weber St......24.4 ppg
MSU.............25 ppg

catbob
April 2nd, 2006, 04:04 PM
I just remember the way your secondary looked against the Eags in Missoula last year and they were not very good. I guess our passing offense was just that good last year.:D I still think that WSU and MSU will have tougher d's but once again that is just my opinion. All of this is just talk and speculation and that is why we play the games. Go Eagles!!!

Can you name any secondarys that did look against EWU? :P

catbob
April 2nd, 2006, 04:04 PM

Can you name any secondarys that did look good against EWU? :P

grizband
April 2nd, 2006, 08:30 PM
Only 3 teams held EWU under 300 passing yards last season:

Portland St.
Montana St.
UC-Davis

igo4uni
April 2nd, 2006, 09:40 PM
Only 3 teams held EWU under 300 passing yards last season:

Portland St.
Montana St.
UC-Davis

EWU sure did look good in the fabulous UNI-Dome. Of course, the Panthers found a way to win anyway.:nod: :nod:

DaGriz
April 2nd, 2006, 10:33 PM
Can you name any secondarys that did look good against EWU? :P

That's what I was thinking. Was there a D that looked good against Meyer/Kimble? You have a jaded view if you're an Eagle fan of what good D's looked like last year. You get no vote on this topic. :smiley_wi

slostang
April 2nd, 2006, 10:38 PM
Cal Poly hurt our rushing defense average. Their run happy team rushed for over 500 yards in two games.

I am hoping that the Mustangs can hurt it even more in 2006, although I am sure the Griz will looking for blood next year when the Mustangs roll into town. The great thing about Cal Poly's rushing offense is "Big Game James" Noble will only be a soph. next year and he will be around for three more seasons.

I am looking forward to my third trip to Missoula in the last two years. Maybe in 2007 the Griz can visit San Luis Obispo. :)

lucchesicourt
April 3rd, 2006, 07:57 AM
Ronbo, your "D" was third in the country last year? Who were the two teams better? I believe UCD and Cal Poly both had better "D"'s statistically. I may be wrong, but I do believe your "D" was good, but top three? If you discount UCD as transitional, who are the two teams that were better?

Ronbo
April 3rd, 2006, 09:36 AM
I was talking about #3 in take away give away average at the end of the regular season. I saw it in an Missoulian article before the Cal Poly playoff game. It would be very difficult to be the #3 defense in the nation in the Big Sky with the wide open offenses, plus we played Oregon.

catbob
April 3rd, 2006, 12:17 PM
I was talking about #3 in take away give away average at the end of the regular season. I saw it in an Missoulian article before the Cal Poly playoff game. It would be very difficult to be the #3 defense in the nation in the Big Sky with the wide open offenses, plus we played Oregon.

90% of the teams played at least one IA.

Griz were 5th in turnover margin.
32nd in rushing D.
21st in passing efficiency D.
15th in scorind D.
41st in total D.

VictorG
April 3rd, 2006, 12:53 PM
90% of the teams played at least one IA.

Griz were 5th in turnover margin.
32nd in rushing D.
21st in passing efficiency D.
15th in scorind D.
41st in total D.

Even so, not bad for being 117th the previous year. I'd say that was a very nice turnaround!!!! Now just think if the Griz can continue to improve on the Defense and maybe even get some Offensive production which was missing last year!

Looking good to me!!!!:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

GrizzlyEdd
April 3rd, 2006, 05:52 PM
Funny thing about statistics... they tell an overall picture of a season. They don't say much about individual games...

No matter the national rankings in any category, the Griz still make the playoffs each year and just keep on truckin'. Something must work for the Griz since they are so 2nd class and rank so low in most categories nation wide... hmmmmmm:eek: