PDA

View Full Version : Santos, Ball and UNH Begin Spring Practice

TexasTerror
April 1st, 2006, 07:53 AM
It must be getting a bit warmer (out of the teens already?) in Durham, NH because it's finally time for spring practice to start. This team returns WR David Ball (Sr) and QB standout Ricky Santos (Jr) for what should be another year of a great offensive production for the Wildcats.

This team is definitely going to be one of the top teams on everyone's preseason ballot, coming off an 11 win season where they went to the QFs and return two of the top players at their position in I-AA football.
-----------
UNH FOOTBALL READY TO BEGIN SPRING FOOTBALL PRACTICE

DURHAM, N.H.--The University of New Hampshire football program reached new heights last season, advancing to the NCAA I-AA Quarterfinals for the second consecutive year, winning a share of the Atlantic 10 Championship and posting the most wins ever in a season with 11. Eighth-year head coach Sean McDonnell, the 2005 Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year, will be looking to build on the success of the past two seasons when his players take the field for the first spring practice on Saturday, April 8.

Spring football will continue through Friday, May 5 when the program will host its annual golf outing at the Links at Outlook Farms in South Berwick. Anyone interested in participating or sponsoring a hole may contact the football office at (603) 862-1852.

Spring practice will be capped off on Saturday, May 6 when the squad will host its annual Spring football game providing fans a chance to see the progress of the team and to watch their favorite players. The action is set to begin at 1 p.m. on Bremner Field.

The Wildcat offense is loaded with talented players once again this season, including a pair of All-American, Walter Payton Award candidates in junior quarterback Ricky Santos (Bellingham, Mass.) and senior wide receiver David Ball (Orange, Vt.). Seven starters return to an offense that finished No. 2 in the nation last season with 74 touchdowns and broke the conference record. UNH was also No. 2 in the nation in yards per game (493 yards per contest) and third in the nation in points scored per game with an average of 41.7 per contest. In all, the offense returns two of three All-Americans and three of five All-Atlantic 10 selections.

http://www.unhwildcats.com/football/20052006/033106.shtml

jmuroller
April 1st, 2006, 08:19 AM
I have nightmares about Santos and Ball. Especially since we play them this year.

DaGriz
April 1st, 2006, 01:54 PM
I have nightmares about Santos and Ball. Especially since we play them this year.

No kidding. Are those two ever going to graduate? They are about 8th year seniors now right?

UNH 40
April 1st, 2006, 01:56 PM
very interested to see who will come out of the spring as a the starting tailback. They have some good talent at RB but not much of it was seen last season do to the great play of John McCoy last season. The article that was posted is correct they have a wealth of talent on the offensive side of the football, it is not just Ball and Santos, they have some very good lineman, and other good recievers in Keith Levan and Aaron Brown, and also a more conventional TE in Sean Linch who is about 6'2" and 250-255. So again double Ball all you want Santos has many very good options.:hurray: :hurray:

UNH 40
April 1st, 2006, 01:59 PM
No kidding. Are those two ever going to graduate? They are about 8th year seniors now right?

Actually Ball didn't even red shirt. If he had Ball and Santos would have two more seasons together. Can you imagine that, if that were the case I am confident that nearly every passing and recieving in college football would belong to them.

Tod
April 1st, 2006, 02:51 PM
I just went on a little homer spiel on the Griz thread about how great the Griz will be this year. UNH is another team that has to be top five in the pre-season poll. If the brackets allow it, I think UM and UNH could meet for the title. Otherwise, hopefully, that would be a semi-final.

I don't know why I'm being so damn bold all of a sudden, but UNH is definitely a serious title contender this year.

My top four right now, in no particular order:

UNH
UM
UNI
ASU

That may change as we get closer to the pre-season poll and serious time has to be spent doing the research.

mainejeff
April 1st, 2006, 05:13 PM
It must be getting a bit warmer (out of the teens already?) in Durham, NH because it's finally time for spring practice to start.

It's actually been in the 50s and 60s recently and was a very mild winter.

Tod
April 1st, 2006, 05:17 PM

Yeah, it's called global war....never mind! :o

UNHWildCats
April 1st, 2006, 05:51 PM
I am not sure on the name but i think i have it right without going to look, but they should give Michael Boyle a shot at back he returned kicks last year and was good.

rcny46
April 1st, 2006, 05:58 PM
very interested to see who will come out of the spring as a the starting tailback. They have some good talent at RB but not much of it was seen last season do to the great play of John McCoy last season. The article that was posted is correct they have a wealth of talent on the offensive side of the football, it is not just Ball and Santos, they have some very good lineman, and other good recievers in Keith Levan and Aaron Brown, and also a more conventional TE in Sean Linch who is about 6'2" and 250-255. So again double Ball all you want Santos has many very good options.:hurray: :hurray:

Speaking of TE's,there is also another guy on the roster,Josh Droesch-6'6'',245-who got some playing time last year,and could contribute again in the fall.Would you say Chris Ward and Kaysonne Anderson are the leading candidates to replace McCoy? I know one thing.I can't wait for the spring game.

Mountain Panther
April 1st, 2006, 06:01 PM
My top four right now, in no particular order:

UNH
UM
UNI
ASU

I would love to see any of those teams come to Iowa if their road to the title goes through the UNI-Dome.

Santos & Ball in perfect conditions = scary.

Another reason I want UNI & UNH to meet again is because during the playoff game last year, Ball came over to the sidelines after hauling in a TD pass in front of Dre Dokes. With the camera on him and a national audience watching, he said "that guy is an All American?" ***** that."

Dokes is back as well as two other starting D-Backs.

rcny46
April 1st, 2006, 06:04 PM

Congrats to the Black Bears for making it to the frozen four.Good luck against Wisconsin.I hope to be watching when you win the NC next saturday.

LBPop
April 1st, 2006, 07:35 PM
After my first look at Santos/Ball on TV in the playoffs, I've gotta believe that it's fun just to watch them practice. I would be interested in how many people show up for spring practices...and I'll bet the spring game draws a really good crowd. :nod:

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 2nd, 2006, 11:52 AM
I would love to see any of those teams come to Iowa if their road to the title goes through the UNI-Dome.

Santos & Ball in perfect conditions = scary.

Another reason I want UNI & UNH to meet again is because during the playoff game last year, Ball came over to the sidelines after hauling in a TD pass in front of Dre Dokes. With the camera on him and a national audience watching, he said "that guy is an All American?" ***** that."

Dokes is back as well as two other starting D-Backs.

I'm not going to deny that Ball made that statement, because I too heard it when I watched a tape of the game. But in fairness, he wasn't primping for the camera nor showboating or anything of that ilk. It was not a TO like incident. He was sitting on the bench or on the folding chairs among his teammates. I honestly felt that it was just the usual macho BS yakking that football players do with their teammates to boost their egos and pump up their teammates. And was meant for their ears only. You have to remember that having ESPN cameras zooming in along with parabolic sound equipment picking up their every word is not the norm for I-AA.

Sure, I wish he hadn't said it and had been more cognizant of the ESPN technology. But please don't make more out of it than it was.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 2nd, 2006, 12:12 PM
Speaking of TE's,there is also another guy on the roster,Josh Droesch-6'6'',245-who got some playing time last year,and could contribute again in the fall.Would you say Chris Ward and Kaysonne Anderson are the leading candidates to replace McCoy? I know one thing.I can't wait for the spring game.

I think another leading candidate for RB is:

Chad Kackert RB/DB 5-8 185 Simi Valley, Calif./Grace Brethren (Calif.)

I believe he enrolled for 2nd semester so that he could participate in Spring Football. He was part of last year's recruiting class, but didn't enroll last Fall so he could rehabilitate an injury IIRC.

FWIW, last year I thought Kaysonne was going to be the speed runner to step into RJ Harvey's shoes, but he got hurt and had to sit out the year. JMHO, but I think with Ward, Anderson, Kackert, Simpson, O'Brien, Boyle, etc. that UNH will be OK at running back. No Omar Cuff in the group, but the UNH offense isn't looking for that.

I too saw Droesch on the roster and that size is intriguing. Sean Lynch isn't going to be the downfield thread like Jon Williams, but I think he'd be a good, traditional TE. Again, I think UNH will be OK at TE.

But I'm looking from afar and never claimed to be any kind of talent scout! I too am looking forward to the Spring game. I'm usually so hard up for some football that I'll go to the UConn Spring game! :eek: Hey, it's free and Rentschler Field is a good destination for a bike ride! xlolx

rcny46
April 2nd, 2006, 08:32 PM
[QUOTE=UNH_Alum_In_CT]I think another leading candidate for RB is:

Chad Kackert RB/DB 5-8 185 Simi Valley, Calif./Grace Brethren (Calif.)

I believe he enrolled for 2nd semester so that he could participate in Spring Football. He was part of last year's recruiting class, but didn't enroll last Fall so he could rehabilitate an injury IIRC.

FWIW, last year I thought Kaysonne was going to be the speed runner to step into RJ Harvey's shoes, but he got hurt and had to sit out the year. JMHO, but I think with Ward, Anderson, Kackert, Simpson, O'Brien, Boyle, etc. that UNH will be OK at running back. No Omar Cuff in the group, but the UNH offense isn't looking for that.

I too saw Droesch on the roster and that size is intriguing. Sean Lynch isn't going to be the downfield thread like Jon Williams, but I think he'd be a good, traditional TE. Again, I think UNH will be OK at TE.

But I'm looking from afar and never claimed to be any kind of talent scout! I too am looking forward to the Spring game. I'm usually so hard up for some football that I'll go to the UConn Spring game! :eek: Hey, it's free and Rentschler Field is a good destination for a bike ride! xlolx[/QUO

The injury that forced Kackert to enroll later than intended wasn't football related which is good.The numbers he put up during his last year of HS were hard to believe(3,445 yds.,56 TD's,400+yd's three times and 7 TD's in one game)and he was Calif.small school player of the year.Time will tell how he will do at this level I guess,but he could be a big addition to the RB position.They are really loaded there-no poster boys,but a lot of quality nonetheless as you mentioned.

UNH_ORACLE
April 5th, 2006, 04:02 PM
I think another leading candidate for RB is:

I would say that Lynch has very good potential and if he reaches that he could be just as good as Williams. Only time will tell on how he adjusts to being the number 1 guy, but if Ricky gives him as much attention as Williams I think he has the potential to open some eyes. He's got skills.

igo4uni
April 5th, 2006, 09:17 PM
I'd love to see Santos and Ball in the fabulous UNI-Dome.:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: