PDA

View Full Version : Duquesne gets former 5-Star transfer from Ohio State

401ks
August 19th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Linebacker Dorian Bell has officially transferred to Duquesne from Ohio State. He is enrolled and has joined the team.

Mr. Bell was a 5-Star recruit out of Gateway High School in Monroeville, Pennsylvania in 2009. He has two years of eligibility remaining.

From his Twitter account (@DBell11):

Duquesne.. Is my home now.. Fully enrolled..

http://scoutcombines.scout.com/a.z?s=450&p=8&c=1&nid=2628663

He had been suspended from the Ohio State team for the 2011 season for a third "unspecified violation of team rules" back in May.

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_full_width/hash/60/5c/605c31707b34fe7e138ef631808084f5.jpg

I trust that the Duquesne coaching staff has thoroughly investigated the circumstances of Mr. Bell's troubles at Ohio State and are satisfied that he is not bringing unwelcome baggage to "The Bluff".

GO DUKES!

bleedblue
August 19th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Good luck.

Bogus Megapardus
August 19th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Duquesne might just be the perfect place for this young man. There's no nonsense to be tolerated on the bluff, and the opportunity to play competitive Division I football. Good luck to the Dukes! Believe me, I know - relatives of mine have both business and law degrees from Duquesne. Shenanigans are not tolerated.

kperk014
August 19th, 2011, 09:46 PM
You may be seeing a whole lot more Buckeyes falling from the tree.

aceinthehole
August 20th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Nice pickup. What position?

I'm sure the Dukes have done their due diligance, but sometimes these things fall though.

CCSU's transfer from UConn (a former all-BE rookie) has already fallen off the roster. We also had a former Ohio State player (Walter Dublin) transfer to CCSU, but he also didn't make the roster, as he opted for professional opportunities. Second chances are OK, but sometimes the player doesn't live up to their end despite the opportunity provided.

Good luck though, this is another great development for the NEC.

401ks
August 20th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Nice pickup. What position?

Linebacker Dorian Bell has officially transferred to Duquesne from Ohio State.

;)

underdawg
August 20th, 2011, 02:12 PM
When does the University Of Miami recruit train start pulling out of the station? We want some of those. xlolx

MplsBison
August 20th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Does anyone else find it very odd that this obviously very athletically gifted young man chose to transfer from the top football university in the nation to a school that charges between $26k and $32k for tuition, does not offer any athletic aid and, worse of all, chooses to be non-competitive in Division I FCS?

He could've for example transferred instead to Youngstown State, which charges only $7.5k for tuition, offers the full allotment of athletic aid allowed by the NCAA and is fully competitive within the division.

I realize Monroeville is a suburb of Pittsburgh and perhaps his parents are wealthy and can afford to pay Duquesne's overly expensive cost, but Youngstown is only an hour and half from Pittsburgh and he was already fine with going to Columbus.

So with all the corruption that's abound in college football these days, would anyone be shocked to find out that a wealthy Duquesne booster has given him or his family money to transfer to that school? If I was a coach in the NEC, I would ask for a full audit from the league office of this transfer, including his financial accounts and his immediate family's financial accounts.

Go...gate
August 20th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Duquesne might just be the perfect place for this young man. There's no nonsense to be tolerated on the bluff, and the opportunity to play competitive Division I football. Good luck to the Dukes! Believe me, I know - relatives of mine have both business and law degrees from Duquesne. Shenanigans are not tolerated.

I have also heard that about Duquesne. I know their Law School is very well respected.

Go...gate
August 20th, 2011, 04:47 PM
When does the University Of Miami recruit train start pulling out of the station? We want some of those. xlolx

That could be one LONG train....

Bogus Megapardus
August 20th, 2011, 04:58 PM
I have also heard that about Duquesne. I know their Law School is very well respected.

As is the business school. Duquesne is a terrific college in a wonderful downtown location. It's truly a unique place. You really have to visit to get the full experience. Of course, Art Rooney was a Duquesne alum and his legacy can be seen everywhere on campus.

But 'gate . . . what about Miami? Like you said in the other thread, the NCAA might have to sentence them to ten years in the Patriot League. Oh, the shame . . .

UAalum72
August 20th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Does anyone else find it very odd that this obviously very athletically gifted young man chose to transfer from the top football university in the nation to a school that charges between $26k and $32k for tuition, does not offer any athletic aid and, worse of all, chooses to be non-competitive in Division I FCS?

Like all NEC institutions, Duquesne offers athletic scholarships in football, so please try to keep up before opening your yap.

Duq's equivalencies have been below the league's limits, so there's nothing to prevent them from offering him a ride if they think he's worth it.

401ks
August 20th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Linebacker Dorian Bell has officially transferred to Duquesne from Ohio State. He is enrolled and has joined the team.

Mr. Bell was a 5-Star recruit out of Gateway High School in Monroeville, Pennsylvania in 2009. He has two years of eligibility remaining.

xdohx

CORRECTION / UPDATE: Mr. Bell appears to have THREE (3) years of eligibility remaining. He red-shirted his Freshman season, 2009.

Go...gate
August 20th, 2011, 07:08 PM
As is the business school. Duquesne is a terrific college in a wonderful downtown location. It's truly a unique place. You really have to visit to get the full experience. Of course, Art Rooney was a Duquesne alum and his legacy can be seen everywhere on campus.

But 'gate . . . what about Miami? Like you said in the other thread, the NCAA might have to sentence them to ten years in the Patriot League. Oh, the shame . . .

Think of it - the Hurricanes playing in Hamilton, NY in December....

Dane96
August 21st, 2011, 07:32 PM

With all due respect (and I do respect the academic side of Duquense with a great nod), this is the same school that hired the known douchebag Ron Everhart. Follow his career path to get a real feel of the "bending" the school will do with coaches.

That said, the football program has always been no-nonsense so I will not judge this deal yet.

Go...gate
August 21st, 2011, 10:38 PM
With all due respect (and I do respect the academic side of Duquense with a great nod), this is the same school that hired the known douchebag Ron Everhart. Follow his career path to get a real feel of the "bending" the school will do with coaches.

That said, the football program has always been no-nonsense so I will not judge this deal yet.

Point well taken, but I don't think that shooting was Everhart's fault, and so far he seems to have stayed out of trouble. But time will certainly tell. I just don't think that Duquesne will put up with much in the line of shenanigans.

I always thought they would be a good fit in the Patriot League, though that ship sailed long ago.

Dane96
August 21st, 2011, 11:21 PM
The shooting...is not even remotely what I am talking about. See McNeese...See Northeastern.

He's a douche and scumbag...and I rarely use those terms to describe any coach. Frankly, he is the epitome of what is wrong in college sports. NU Husky can chime in.

401ks
August 27th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Dorian Bell Joins Duquesne Football Team

Ohio State transfer currently practicing with the Dukes

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082711aaa.html

The 6-1, 225-pound linebacker's playing status is to be determined pending the outcome of the ongoing eligibility reinstatement process that Duquesne has initiated with the NCAA.

Bell is currently ineligible for violation of an NCAA regulation that occurred while he was a student-athlete at Ohio State.

"We look forward to having Dorian as a member of our football team," said Schmitt. "I know it means a lot for him to be able play college football in his hometown. He will continue to practice with the team and continue his assimilation in the classroom as we await the outcome of the reinstatement process."

"I am grateful to have this opportunity," said Bell. "Both my mother and aunt attended Duquesne, so I am very familiar with the school and its academic reputation. Coach Schmitt has made it clear what he expects from me both on and off the football field. I plan to work hard to help this team continue to improve."