PDA

View Full Version : First ever 1-AA only all-star game: Lombardi Bowl

kdinva
August 18th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Jan. 16th in Virginia Beach.

xsmileyclapx

http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4429353

eagle07
August 18th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Very nice, now we just need it to be on television. Hopefully someone will pick it up.

catbob
August 18th, 2011, 01:33 PM
WTH is I-AA?

superman7515
August 18th, 2011, 01:39 PM
The first step of the AA 12 Step Program.

NHwildEcat
August 18th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Yeah...cut it with the 1-AA ****...call it what it is...FCS.

Awesome though, that there will be a FCS level All-Star game...there are certainly plenty of All-Stars at this level and they deserve the opportunity to showcase their talents against equal competition. This may help some of these guys get selected in the April NFL Draft!

AppAlum2003
August 18th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Eh, the best of the best in FCS will not want to associate themselves with this game. They know everyone will be watching the "big" All-Star Games. If anything it MIGHT help some of those "fringe" FCS guys get a tryout or two.

danefan
August 18th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Eh, the best of the best in FCS will not want to associate themselves with this game. They know everyone will be watching the "big" All-Star Games. If anything it MIGHT help some of those "fringe" FCS guys get a tryout or two.

Should've called it the "Backup Bowl"......just in case you don't make the Senior Bowl, North-South Game, Texas vs. World or any of the other 7 all-star games.

TheRevSFA
August 18th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Jan. 16th in Virginia Beach.

xsmileyclapx

http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4429353

What? You mean this game isn't being held at the greatest stadium in the FCS known as Finley Stadium in Chattanooga, Tennessee? Blasphemy I say.. Blasphemy

SideLine Shooter
August 18th, 2011, 03:12 PM
What? You mean this game isn't being held at the greatest stadium in the FCS known as Finley Stadium in Chattanooga, Tennessee? Blasphemy I say.. Blasphemy

I don't believe it!!!

Sam
August 18th, 2011, 03:59 PM
This is great news ! There is a demand for it finally it happened...

DFW HOYA
August 18th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Yeah...cut it with the 1-AA ****...call it what it is...FCS.

I-AA is fine by me. 90% of football fans still think FCS is a credit union or something.

bonarae
August 18th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Yes! Hope many Ivy seniors will be selected here and in the years to come :)

ThompsonThe
August 18th, 2011, 06:40 PM
I-AA is fine by me. 90% of football fans still think FCS is a credit union or something.

If they have graduated from college and cannot grasp what FCS is, they went to the wrong college.

P.S. - Tell your guys to quit picking on those "short" Chinese National Players......some of them were not even 7' 6".

ThompsonThe
August 18th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Harvard should have a good share of players. If the Ivy will let them play. Your school has always seemed to have a wealth of talent. Shame they cannot participate in the playoffs, wonder how many titles they would have won over the years?
Of course, if the Ivy League did allow members to participate in the playoffs, some schools would harp on it being an unfair advantage....offering a Harvard education for playing football. Too much of an advantage. Personally I think it would be great.

Syntax Error
August 19th, 2011, 01:08 AM
Besides the fact that there never was a "1-AA" is the bold truth that All players are paying to get there and play:

PAYMENT OF FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($500) TO COVER THE EVENT’S OPERATING EXPENDITURES, THE PAYMENT MAY BE SUBMITTED BY A SPONSOR WHO WILL RECEIVE A ONE-EIGHTH (1/8) PAGE IN THE LOMBARDI BOWL OFFICIAL PROGRAM PLUS A LOGO AND LINK ON LOMBARDIBOWL.COM...

PARTICIPANTS WILL RECEIVE A LOMBARDI BOWL SOUVENIR TEE-SHIRT, GAME SHIRT, PLAY-BY-PLAY VIDEO PRODUCTION VD OF THE GAME, LODGING AND MEALS (INCLUDING THE LOMBARDI BOWL AWARDS BANQUET) BUT TRANSPORTATION TO AND FROM VIRGINIA BEACH IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE PARTCIPANTS.

So the players get a t-shirt, some sort of room, some sort of meals, the jersey, and a video of the game for $500. If they get a sponsor to pay for them the sponsor gets a 1" ad in the program and their logo on a website.

The players are also solicited to be interns at USA college sports.

What the coaches and others do to participate is not mentioned. source (http://lombardibowl.com/Mediaform.htm)

TexasTerror
August 19th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Evidently, this is a doubleheader...

The Virginia Beach Sportsplex will host a pair of college all-star games on Martin Luther King Day, including the first NCAA-sanctioned game for Football Championship Subdivision players.

The FCS game, called the Lombardi Bowl, is scheduled for Jan. 16. It will be part of a doubleheader with a Division III game, to be called the Hansen Bowl.

"We've always wanted to have a college component here," said Chuck Thornton, operating manager of the SportsPlex. "They came to us, we put a bid on it, and they accepted it."

The games for college seniors are being put on by USA College Sports, Inc. President Dennis Wilson founded a Division III all-star game 14 years ago. That game took a hiatus last year. Wilson said coaches approached him about reviving it.

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/08/sportsplex-host-pair-college-football-allstar-games

dgtw
August 19th, 2011, 08:37 PM
So if I've got $500 and am a halfway decent FCS player, I can play in the game.