Offensive Line:

Quarterback:

Running Backs:

Wide Receivers:

Defensive Line:

Linebackers:

Secondary:

Special Teams:

Just name the team in each category unless you feel like adding more detail but I wanted to see how you guys see it and how will match up with Football Gameplan's preview which will be coming out Saturday I think.

pike51
August 17th, 2011, 07:28 PM
OL: App State
QB: App State
RB: GSU
WR: Elon
DL: GSU
LB: All teams about even (except WCU)
DB: App State
Special Teams: GSU

Skjellyfetti
August 17th, 2011, 07:54 PM
OL: Georgia Southern
RB: Wofford
WR: App State
DL: Georgia Southern
LB: App State
DB: Furman
Special Teams: Georgia Southern

The Cats
August 17th, 2011, 08:01 PM
We're hoping the Catamount OL will make some noise this season....

LT - 73 WES COOK 6-7 290 R-SO
LG - 65 TEDDY RHONEY 6-3 300 R-JR.
C - 50 EDIXON PINO-ALVAREZ 6-1 300 SR
RG - 63 O. AKINMOLADUN 6-2 320 JR
RT - 77 DAN POLASKI 6-8 315 R-FR.

SU DOG
August 17th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Don't know enough about the other rosters to fill in all the blanks, but I think that Samford may have the best 2-deep set of linebackers in the SoCon. I know they are a fast, hard hitting group, and there is VERY little dropoff in the 1s and 2s.

Skjellyfetti
August 17th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Linebacker really is a tossup here. I went with the homer pick there just because of the 3-4 and having Tanyi and Rizor moved to OLB. I think they'll wreak havoc this year. But, we'll see.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 17th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Well so skelly & Pike you have me feeling like I may have had my inclinations about right. I hope some moe Socn guys follow your lead cuz I'd like to see what a good sample of guys think before Saturday.

Thanks dudes.

Mountaineer
August 17th, 2011, 08:25 PM
OL: Nooga
QB: Nooga
RB: Nooga
WR: Nooga
DL: Nooga
LB: Nooga
DB: Nooga
Special Teams: Elon

Reign of Terrier
August 17th, 2011, 09:11 PM
I think Wofford has the best LB corp, we're probably deeper in that area than any other team with proven talent and experience. You could make the case for Wofford's RB as well, but not as strongly, we aren't nearly as deep but we have a freshmen all conference RB in Donovan Johnson and a Payton candidate in Breitenstein.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 17th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I think Wofford has the best LB corp, we're probably deeper in that area than any other team with proven talent and experience. You could make the case for Wofford's RB as well, but not as strongly, we aren't nearly as deep but we have a freshmen all conference RB in Donovan Johnson and a Payton candidate in Breitenstein.

I've seen a couple of guys mention your LB's unless I've just seen you do it a couple of time yt.xlolx

How about taking a stab at the rest of it like skelly & Pike did cuz I think most guys will not just do the homer thing and I'd like to see what you guys expect as a whole instead of just a few spots here and there with the home pick.

Saint3333
August 17th, 2011, 09:34 PM

This looks pretty good. If ASU had Wray back at LB it would be a no brainer, but even without him as you mentioned the two rush ends are going to be fun to watch. I think ASU's oline will be the best next year (maybe by season's end) but not preseason.

The easy calls are ASU at QB, GSU at Dline, and Furman at DB. I'd give the edge to ASU at WR because of depth, although they are young there are a lot of them and Cadet has been moved to slot where he can be dangerous in space.

asumike83
August 17th, 2011, 11:21 PM
QB: Appalachian
WR: Appalachian (assuming this includes TE)
LB: Appalachian

seantaylor
August 18th, 2011, 12:49 AM
QB: Wofford
RB: Georgia Southern
DB: Georgia Southern

citdog
August 18th, 2011, 01:17 AM
OL Yosef
Qb Choo Choo
WR Ellen
RB ankle biting nuisance dogs
DL pig's ***, ga mr klean's
LB The Citadel
DB mountain gayboys
Special Teams kleany's

ASU_MBA
August 18th, 2011, 01:41 AM
We're hoping the Catamount OL will make some noise this season....

LT - 73 WES COOK 6-7 290 R-SO
LG - 65 TEDDY RHONEY 6-3 300 R-JR.
C - 50 EDIXON PINO-ALVAREZ 6-1 300 SR
RG - 63 O. AKINMOLADUN 6-2 320 JR
RT - 77 DAN POLASKI 6-8 315 R-FR.

Might want to check your roster cuz 63 ain't on it...word is he never made the trip east from his JUCO school.

Smitty
August 18th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Might want to check your roster cuz 63 ain't on it...word is he never made the trip east from his JUCO school.

He was there (you can see pictures of the big guy in practice) but I think they are saying he is academically ineligible for this semester

But the person in the chart behind him is 66 Steven Steiner OL 6-5 315 RS JR

PaladinFan
August 18th, 2011, 06:55 AM

Pretty good assessment.

phoenixphanatic21
August 18th, 2011, 07:18 AM

Agree with this. I'd give Elon the edge at receivers if it didn't include the TE.

chattownmocs
August 18th, 2011, 07:46 AM
QB:Chattanooga
DB:Chattanooga

Don't think there is a close 2nd at DB when it comes to talent.

asumike83
August 18th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Agree with this. I'd give Elon the edge at receivers if it didn't include the TE.

Yeah I hear you, I like the WRs at Elon and Chattanooga a lot actually. They both have good weapons at WR and a bit more depth since nobody at App is proven behind Brian Quick. I just gave App the edge for having the best TE in the SoCon since there was no separate category for it.

PaladinFan
August 18th, 2011, 08:29 AM
QB:Chattanooga
DB:Chattanooga

Don't think there is a close 2nd at DB when it comes to talent.

Completely disagree. Furman's Ryan Steed is widely considered the top cornerback in the conference (maybe the country) and one of the top NFL prospects at the position. He is joined by very good players in the Furman backfield.

Even if you don't want go with the "talent" test, look at the numbers last season:

Furman held opponents to 56.4% completion, only 7 passing touchdowns, 14 INTs, and 160.9 yards per game through the air.

GSU, on the same numbers, were 53.9%, 15, 14, and 159.9.

UTC, on the other hand, was 61.5%, 19, 13, and 207.5. They also ranked dead last in pass defense efficiency.

So no, UTC does not have the best defensive back unit. GSU and Furman had more interceptions, a lower completion percentage, lower passing yards, and fewer touchdowns. You could make a case that not only does UTC not have the best defensive backfield, in 2010, they probably had one of the worst.

Eaglesrus
August 18th, 2011, 08:30 AM

This looks pretty good. If ASU had Wray back at LB it would be a no brainer, but even without him as you mentioned the two rush ends are going to be fun to watch. I think ASU's oline will be the best next year (maybe by season's end) but not preseason.

The easy calls are ASU at QB, GSU at Dline, and Furman at DB. I'd give the edge to ASU at WR because of depth, although they are young there are a lot of them and Cadet has been moved to slot where he can be dangerous in space.

I would add GSU's special teams to that list of easy calls.

TheRevSFA
August 18th, 2011, 08:35 AM
OL: Nooga
QB: Nooga
RB: Nooga
WR: Nooga
DL: Nooga
LB: Nooga
DB: Nooga
Special Teams: Elon

Was this the prediction of what the "playbook czar" might say? He got the SLC completely wrong

chattownmocs
August 18th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Completely disagree. Furman's Ryan Steed is widely considered the top cornerback in the conference (maybe the country) and one of the top NFL prospects at the position. He is joined by very good players in the Furman backfield.

Even if you don't want go with the "talent" test, look at the numbers last season:

Furman held opponents to 56.4% completion, only 7 passing touchdowns, 14 INTs, and 160.9 yards per game through the air.

GSU, on the same numbers, were 53.9%, 15, 14, and 159.9.

UTC, on the other hand, was 61.5%, 19, 13, and 207.5. They also ranked dead last in pass defense efficiency.

So no, UTC does not have the best defensive back unit. GSU and Furman had more interceptions, a lower completion percentage, lower passing yards, and fewer touchdowns. You could make a case that not only does UTC not have the best defensive backfield, in 2010, they probably had one of the worst.

In SOCON play.. Furman gave up 172.5
Chattanooga 185.1

Its makes an effect when you play Auburn, Jacksonville state, Eastern Kentucky, as opposed to South Carolina and 2 scrubs.

Also looking at Furman's numbers everyone in the SOCON did whatever they wanted to against Furman's D. If they wanted to run they ran all over you, if they wanted to pass they put up big numbers through the air. Noone threw TD passes because they could run it in, why would they risk passing the ball?You have some numbers in your favor but to post some garbage stats that include nonconference games and claim you are the best is absurd. Kadeem wise was the Socon freshman of the year for a reason and he might not even be our best sophomore corner this year. Jordan tippit was hurt last year or he would be a back to back first team all socon player. Get a grip.

SpeedkingATL
August 18th, 2011, 09:13 AM

+1, it saves a lot of typing.

Reign of Terrier
August 18th, 2011, 10:10 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Wofford had one of the best pass defenses last year from a statistical perspective. If we're going to use last year's numbers you might as well throw that out there but Furman has it wrapped up I think

PaladinNation
August 18th, 2011, 12:42 PM
RB: Wofford (depends on the Furman oline improvement but Uhaa is healthy, Williams is bigger, and McCloud could set tons of records at Furman before he's finished)
LB: App State/Woffy/Furman (FU moves to 4-3 with Anderson in the middle, my guess is Furman could have lead the SoCon in tackles made by a linebacking unit)
Special Teams: Furman over GSU by a hair.

PaladinFan
August 18th, 2011, 01:06 PM
RB: Wofford (depends on the Furman oline improvement but Uhaa is healthy, Williams is bigger, and McCloud could set tons of records at Furman before he's finished)
LB: App State/Woffy/Furman (FU moves to 4-3 with Anderson in the middle, my guess is Furman could have lead the SoCon in tackles made by a linebacking unit)
Special Teams: Furman over GSU by a hair.

I tend to agree with you on special teams. I took a second to go back and look at last years numbers (which are useful as Furman returns both kickers).

Punts: Furman did not have the longest average punts, but they had the second highest net (right behind GSU) because of an astounding 0.3 yards per return. Of their 53 punts, only 15 were returned (that is 30 fewer returns than any other team). Essentially, with Furman punting, you had about enough time to fall down, if you returned it at all.

kickoffs: Furman had 9 kickoffs for touchbacks, good enough for first in that category.

Kicks: Furman led the league (tied with App) for field goal percentage. GSU did make 8 more field goals in total.

Returns: Furman did rank last in kickoff returns, but was third in punt returns.

Given the above, I think you can make a pretty compelling argument that Furman has the top special teams unit. Their one clear area of deficiency is in kickoff returns. But, the kickoff, place kicking, and punt return, and punt coverage numbers are right at the top.

straightshooter
August 18th, 2011, 03:49 PM
I tend to agree with you on special teams. I took a second to go back and look at last years numbers (which are useful as Furman returns both kickers).

Punts: Furman did not have the longest average punts, but they had the second highest net (right behind GSU) because of an astounding 0.3 yards per return. Of their 53 punts, only 15 were returned (that is 30 fewer returns than any other team). Essentially, with Furman punting, you had about enough time to fall down, if you returned it at all.

kickoffs: Furman had 9 kickoffs for touchbacks, good enough for first in that category.

Kicks: Furman led the league (tied with App) for field goal percentage. GSU did make 8 more field goals in total.

Returns: Furman did rank last in kickoff returns, but was third in punt returns.

Given the above, I think you can make a pretty compelling argument that Furman has the top special teams unit. Their one clear area of deficiency is in kickoff returns. But, the kickoff, place kicking, and punt return, and punt coverage numbers are right at the top.

Let's compare kickers:

GSU FG - 19-21/ PAT - 45-45/ Total Points - 102
Furman FG 11-12/ PAT - 40-41/ Total Points - 71

Punting

GSU Total Punts - 56/ Average - 41.0/ Inside the 20 - 19/ Punts over 50 yds - 13/ Net Punting - 1.8 yards per punt (with 13 punts over 50 yards, Edwards often outkicks the coverage which means a bigger return.
Furman Total Punts - 62/ Average - 38.3/ Inside the 20 - 15/ Punts over 50 yds - 3/ Net Punting - .3 yards per punt

Kick off returns

GSU 23.48 yds per return
Furman 18.37 yards per return

Punt Returns

GSU 6.92 yards per return
Furman 8.92 yards per return

GSU returns both kickers as does Furman. The stats don't lie. Am I missing something? Looks like GSU is the winner here.

Eaglesrus
August 18th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Let's compare kickers:..................................

GSU returns both kickers as does Furman. The stats don't lie. Am I missing something? Looks like GSU is the winner here.

Just one other small item; don't know about Furman, but we return a three year starting long snapper, as well.

SCPALADIN
August 18th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Our kickoff tee retriever is hands-down the fastest in the SoCon. xwhistlex

SoCon48
August 18th, 2011, 08:46 PM
QB: Wofford
RB: Georgia Southern
DB: Georgia Southern
5 out of 8. Sounds like GSU has already been crowned champ.

SoCon48
August 18th, 2011, 09:01 PM

Even without much practice.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 18th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Even without much practice.

BOOM!

Eaglesrus
August 19th, 2011, 02:28 AM

And I thought we had y'all beat in every single phase of special teams. Guess I have to give you that one, though.

PaladinFan
August 19th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Let's compare kickers:

GSU FG - 19-21/ PAT - 45-45/ Total Points - 102
Furman FG 11-12/ PAT - 40-41/ Total Points - 71

Punting

GSU Total Punts - 56/ Average - 41.0/ Inside the 20 - 19/ Punts over 50 yds - 13/ Net Punting - 1.8 yards per punt (with 13 punts over 50 yards, Edwards often outkicks the coverage which means a bigger return.
Furman Total Punts - 62/ Average - 38.3/ Inside the 20 - 15/ Punts over 50 yds - 3/ Net Punting - .3 yards per punt

Kick off returns

GSU 23.48 yds per return
Furman 18.37 yards per return

Punt Returns

GSU 6.92 yards per return
Furman 8.92 yards per return

Both units played exceptionally. Once I got into the numbers, I was actually suprised at how impressive Furman's special teams had been (a much maligned unit during Bobby Lamb's tenure).

Apphole
August 19th, 2011, 09:12 AM
OL: GaSo- We are a close second with our depth and size, but I have to give the stink the edge because of their experience.
QB: App- BJ can certainly throw and run offense, but you can't deny the duel threat, WP second runner up
WR: App- BQ will go 3rd round next year and the depth we have at WR is unmatched. If you count Ben Jordan at TE we should somehow get above number one here.
RB: Wofford- Breitenstein's numbers are incredible...except against one team
DL: GaSo/App- Again, the GaSo experience leads me to believe they are the best, but from what I've seen of out new scheme and the size and athleticism of the front three, it's a tough call. The season will tell.
LB: App- Even with Ray out our LB corps is huge and athletic. Also, like the O-line, we have the luxury of depth that other top contenders are lacking.

FurmanWins!!
August 19th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I think many of you here have made good assessments about the league preseason, but there are usually many surprises by season end, just ready to get some football started here ;)

Go Furman!!!

PS. If the Paladins are 5-0 like we have a good shot at being with the early schedule Ill see all you Eagle fans down in the Boro ;)

Saint3333
August 19th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I don't see how you could put ASU at the top of the oline and dline. Yes there is lots of potential and talent on both lines, but experience matters must with these units.

PaladinFan
August 19th, 2011, 12:27 PM
I think many of you here have made good assessments about the league preseason, but there are usually many surprises by season end, just ready to get some football started here ;)

Go Furman!!!

PS. If the Paladins are 5-0 like we have a good shot at being with the early schedule Ill see all you Eagle fans down in the Boro ;)

Welcome to the board.

PaladinFan
August 19th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I don't see how you could put ASU at the top of the oline and dline. Yes there is lots of potential and talent on both lines, but experience matters must with these units.

Considering we are all discussing the potential ability of a bunch of 20 year olds that haven't played a snap this season, let a man dream.

Apphole
August 19th, 2011, 12:29 PM
You're right that experience is important, but what I put alot of stock in depth. You may give GSU the edge on the first snap, sure, but when it's fourth quarter in a hard fought game and/or the end of an injury ridden season I really like our chances. It is indeed a bigger question mark for us, but I'm confident. We have size on both lines that we've never had before.

FurmanWins!!
August 19th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Welcome to the board.

Thanks a lot, I am excited about the season this year, I think we have the potential to do some really great things, still a few question marks but I hope the new staff will be able to make it all manifests itself into success this year, time will tell!

Eaglesrus
August 19th, 2011, 01:32 PM

Go Furman!!!

Welcome to the board. I think you should come on down to the boro whether y'all are 5 - 0 or not. Always like to see a healthy contingent from the loyal opposition.

PaladinFan
August 19th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Thanks a lot, I am excited about the season this year, I think we have the potential to do some really great things, still a few question marks but I hope the new staff will be able to make it all manifests itself into success this year, time will tell!

I agree.

This time of year, hope springs eternal. Every team looks great practicing against their own guys. Furman has potential (so does everyone). The new administration looks to be more committed to football. The coaching staff has plenty of talent and experience. The roster looks good. Now how all that works out when another color jersey lines up across from you is yet to be seen.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 19th, 2011, 02:55 PM

Yes sir, welcome to ya! Good to see a new Furman around here cuz these OL' FUrman guys were getting tiresome so I'm glad to see some new life stalking the board.

citdog
August 19th, 2011, 03:03 PM

Another furple homo. Just what the board needs, more vermin scum polluting it.

Welcome

Apphole
August 19th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Introducing the resident ball buster, Citdog. Don't take a word he says seriously or personally. Years of supporting the worst team in our league has left his vagina quite sandy.

StorminASU
August 19th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Introducing the resident ball buster, Citdog. Don't take a word he says seriously or personally. Years of supporting the worst team in our league has left his vagina quite sandy.

That's where the inspiration for the Pirates of the Caribean movie came from; the Black Pearl that is.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 19th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Offensive Line: Furman - they usually have the best OL

Quarterback: Chatty. I just don't think Coleman has the same quality receiver corps as App. State.

Running Backs: Wofford, but I think GSU's Brown could emerge as one of the top backs in the FCS as well

Wide Receivers: Probably still App, even without Hillary and Cline.

Defensive Line: GSU, definitely. Two all-Americans as well as a solid group of DEs

Linebackers: Wofford

Secondary: Furman

Special Teams: GSU - we probably have the best kicker-punter duo in all of the FCS.

FurmanWins!!
August 19th, 2011, 03:34 PM
What do all you guys think about how the SoCon with shake out here in the next several years with regard to teams possibly going up to FBS or conference realignments ect. ect., I know we already voted to not let UNCC in but how is everything else looking long term potentially in all of your eyes?

Apphole
August 19th, 2011, 03:42 PM
That's where the inspiration for the Pirates of the Caribean movie came from; the Black Pearl that is.

Or the sarlacc pit on the sandy dunes of Tatooine

citdog
August 19th, 2011, 03:54 PM
What do all you guys think about how the SoCon with shake out here in the next several years with regard to teams possibly going up to FBS or conference realignments ect. ect., I know we already voted to not let UNCC in but how is everything else looking long term potentially in all of your eyes?

You shut your whore mouth

Try the search feature

Furple gaywad

Saint3333
August 19th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Quarterback: Chatty. I just don't think Coleman has the same quality receiver corps as App. State.

You put DP on UTC's team they win more games than with Coleman.

Apphole
August 19th, 2011, 04:00 PM

Everything pretty much indicates that after App and GaSo leave, the SoCon will embark on a downward spiral to complete obscurity and irrelevancy. Meanwhile UNCC plays as an independent, goes a decade without a playoff appearance and drops their football program.

FurmanWins!!
August 19th, 2011, 04:09 PM
You might be right as long as the BSC does not form its own division leaving only the lower tier FBS teams in their own division, that would kinda take some of the shine off of moving up a bit.

Now tell me, what do you guys think about Chris Forcier, haha ;)

chattownmocs
August 19th, 2011, 04:12 PM
You put DP on UTC's team they win more games than with Coleman.

LMAO.There are literally hundreds of guys in college football who can run around and hit a few passes. Most of them play recievers. Your boy is not a QB talent. Hes a product of an offensive system. If we traded him for Coleman, he wouldn't start at QB for Chattanooga. He would be at a new position.

hapapp
August 19th, 2011, 04:50 PM
You have to judge a QB by the system he plays in and how he performs in it. Both QBs are quite good in their respective systems. Just as you posit that DP wouldn't be a QB at Chattanooga, Coleman wouldn't likely see the field at ASU.

I have to agree with Saint, I wouldn't rate either of our lines as the best in the SoCon. I certainly think our D-line has the ability to be a dominant one but with a new system in place, one never knows how they perform. While there is talent on the O-line, it is young and inexperienced and no one can predict what they will produce this year. Our WR corps is lead by Quick and Jordan (at TE), two veteran players. Like with the O-line, there is a lot of young talent but again inexperienced and to date not getting much time in preseason camp due to injuries. I think an argument can certainly be made that DP is the best QB but not doubt Coleman is right there with him. I do think our special teams play, while not the best, will be strong this year.

chattownmocs
August 19th, 2011, 06:23 PM
You have to judge a QB by the system he plays in and how he performs in it. Both QBs are quite good in their respective systems. Just as you posit that DP wouldn't be a QB at Chattanooga, Coleman wouldn't likely see the field at ASU.
I have to agree with Saint, I wouldn't rate either of our lines as the best in the SoCon. I certainly think our D-line has the ability to be a dominant one but with a new system in place, one never knows how they perform. While there is talent on the O-line, it is young and inexperienced and no one can predict what they will produce this year. Our WR corps is lead by Quick and Jordan (at TE), two veteran players. Like with the O-line, there is a lot of young talent but again inexperienced and to date not getting much time in preseason camp due to injuries. I think an argument can certainly be made that DP is the best QB but not doubt Coleman is right there with him. I do think our special teams play, while not the best, will be strong this year.

App State would change their system for a QB like Coleman.

Skjellyfetti
August 19th, 2011, 06:25 PM
lol

ursus arctos horribilis
August 19th, 2011, 06:31 PM
lol

xlolx

Made me chuckle two days in a row with that one.xthumbsupx:D

Horseshoe App
August 19th, 2011, 08:38 PM

Yes, you are a idiot

GlassOnion
August 19th, 2011, 09:17 PM

Yeah, because its worked out so well for Chattanooga. How many championships ya'll got?

ursus arctos horribilis
August 19th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Coleman would change his skill set for a chance to play at App.

GunsAndGuitars
August 19th, 2011, 10:14 PM

xbowx We are not worthy of such wisdom. Funny how E-loan said the same thing about Riddle.

blueballs
August 20th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Having seen both Presley and Coleman live against the same opponent I would take Presley every day of the week and twice on Sundays... bigger arm, better legs, more big play potential, can turn chicken s--t into chicken salad. Coleman did better against blitzes but that is only because he was more experienced. Presley was better last year and his career will turn out way better than Coleman's-way more upside.

Add to that Coleman's team's massive chokes last year and it is a no brainer...

asumike83
August 20th, 2011, 09:41 AM

You may be right actually. Coleman would be a serious upgrade at water boy and if our guys can get hydrated faster, we could probably pick up the tempo at practice. That means the speed of our offense in the game could really wear down the opposing defenses. Send him on over to Boone, we'll put him to work!

Apphole
August 20th, 2011, 10:41 AM

Ok wait wait wait wait wait. We would change our system, that's gotten us three national championships and 6 conference championships right after we switched? For a guy/system that hasn't even made a playoff appearance? You have reached a new level of asinine.

blueballs
August 20th, 2011, 12:07 PM
As for the lists:

QB: ASU, Presley was and probably will again be a finalist for the Payton for God's sake
RB's: GSU because of JJ Wilcox, who might be the most underrated player in the conference as well as the most complete player
OL: GSU because they return all starters
WR: App
DL: GSU because of Russell and Tinsley
LB: Wofford and App neck and neck, GSU close
DB: GSU and Furman tied
Special teams: GSU over Furman because of Laron Scott
Coaching: Wofford
Schedule: Wofford
Intangibles: App because every player in the program has won the conference every year they've been there

Apphole
August 20th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Ayers is a great coach but he's no Jerry Moore

Reign of Terrier
August 20th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Ayers is a great coach but he's no Jerry Moore

alright, I'm throwing the BS flag. I'm willing to accept the apples and oranges comparison but Ayers is AT LEAST on the level of Jerry Moore. If you gave Ayers the coaching position at anywhere else in the Socon, even Western, he'd make the playoffs in 3 years.

Apphole
August 20th, 2011, 01:47 PM
alright, I'm throwing the BS flag. I'm willing to accept the apples and oranges comparison but Ayers is AT LEAST on the level of Jerry Moore. If you gave Ayers the coaching position at anywhere else in the Socon, even Western, he'd make the playoffs in 3 years.

I'm picking up the BS flag and throwing another one on your last claim. First of all, we are talking about the winningest coach in SoCon history in Moore. Sure he's been here longer, but there have been alot of incredible coaches with long tenures over the past century in this conference. Also, he's won the head to head matchup with Ayers every year-1 and we usually do it in a big way (see 2010 and 2008). Ayers is quite the coach don't get me wrong, but Jerry finds a way to beat him very badly every year. And nobody is turning that purple embarrassment to North Carolina in Cullaweeee around. In fact, no good coach would ever be stupid enough to take the job.

Saint3333
August 20th, 2011, 02:32 PM

Both are great, but playing the "IF" game brings in hypotheticals. Based on the body of work Coach Moore has the better resume.

Reign of Terrier
August 20th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I'm picking up the BS flag and throwing another one on your last claim. First of all, we are talking about the winningest coach in SoCon history in Moore. Sure he's been here longer, but there have been alot of incredible coaches with long tenures over the past century in this conference. Also, he's won the head to head matchup with Ayers every year-1 and we usually do it in a big way (see 2010 and 2008). Ayers is quite the coach don't get me wrong, but Jerry finds a way to beat him very badly every year. And nobody is turning that purple embarrassment to North Carolina in Cullaweeee around. In fact, no good coach would ever be stupid enough to take the job.

Clearly a noob who jumped on the bandwagon during the title runs. Wofford beat App in 02, 03, and 07. Ayers recruits players out of a smaller talent pool than App and has won with them consistently. There was a vocal group of people who wanted to fire Moore after 2004, and had he not caught fire with a new offense and then Armanti Edwards he probably would have been. Moore has the more impressive resume, I will admit, in terms of achievements. But Ayers clearly is on his level seeing as he has won as much as he can with clearly less to work with than App; it just makes you wonder what Ayers could do at a school with lesser academic standards.

chattownmocs
August 20th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Coleman would change his skill set for a chance to play at App.

Yeah he chose Tennessee because App State just didn't want him. He waited for that scholarship offer for SO LONG before finally signing with the vols.

chattownmocs
August 20th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Having seen both Presley and Coleman live against the same opponent I would take Presley every day of the week and twice on Sundays... bigger arm, better legs, more big play potential, can turn chicken s--t into chicken salad. Coleman did better against blitzes but that is only because he was more experienced. Presley was better last year and his career will turn out way better than Coleman's-way more upside.
Add to that Coleman's team's massive chokes last year and it is a no brainer...

BAHAHAHAHA

chattownmocs
August 20th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Jerry Moore is 72 years old. The guy is a joke and several years past his prime. His brain is in serious decline. This happens to old farts whn they get to their late 60s. He will pe pushed out the door in a few years after his team declines faster than Bobby Bowden's seminoles.

OL FU
August 20th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Another furple homo. Just what the board needs, more vermin scum polluting it.

Welcome

Maybe I will find the report button on this message board after all.:(

Listen you no good, foul mouthed loser knob bell hop. Why don't you go to Lexington and get beat up by a VMI cheerleaderxrolleyesx

Love ya dogxlolx

Horseshoe App
August 20th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Jerry Moore is 72 years old. The guy is a joke and several years past his prime. His brain is in serious decline. This happens to old farts whn they get to their late 60s. He will pe pushed out the door in a few years after his team declines faster than Bobby Bowden's seminoles.

More idiotic comments!!! By the way, if Coleman is so friggin great, why did he never see the grass at UT and transfer to their little sisters in Chattanooga? Get over yourself. You occasionally come up with a good comment, but most of them are without truth or merit.

chattownmocs
August 20th, 2011, 03:26 PM
More idiotic comments!!! By the way, if Coleman is so friggin great, why did he never see the grass at UT and transfer to their little sisters in Chattanooga? Get over yourself. You occasionally come up with a good comment, but most of them are without truth or merit.

Coleman actually started a game for Tennessee as a freshman. Most said he did enough to win the job as a sophomre but was designated 3rd on the depth chart to ensure that Lane Kiffins recruits could get right on the field. This happened at several other positions as well.

PaladinFan
August 20th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Clearly a noob who jumped on the bandwagon during the title runs. Wofford beat App in 02, 03, and 07. Ayers recruits players out of a smaller talent pool than App and has won with them consistently. There was a vocal group of people who wanted to fire Moore after 2004, and had he not caught fire with a new offense and then Armanti Edwards he probably would have been. Moore has the more impressive resume, I will admit, in terms of achievements. But Ayers clearly is on his level seeing as he has won as much as he can with clearly less to work with than App; it just makes you wonder what Ayers could do at a school with lesser academic standards.

I tend to agree with you. It's hard to unseat Jerry Moore from his resume, but Ayers has been mighty impressive. I imagine he has as many "big" wins as any other coach in the last 15 years. Repeated victories of GSU, Furman, and APP (back when all three were gangbusters), and a road playoff win in Montana come to mind.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 20th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Coleman actually started a game for Tennessee as a freshman. Most said he did enough to win the job as a sophomre but was designated 3rd on the depth chart to ensure that Lane Kiffins recruits could get right on the field. This happened at several other positions as well.

Lane Kiffin is a god and I can see why that would happen. Rightfully so I might add.

blueballs
August 20th, 2011, 04:24 PM
BAHAHAHAHA

Truth hurts doesn't it? And the truth is your boy gagged last year when it mattered the most and Presley was named one of the top three players in the NATION by an unbioased nationwide panel of experts.

The difference in talent and intangibles will manafest themselves even more as Presley gains experience. In fact, if I was ranking QB's in the SoCon Coleman would be no higher than third because Presley was a Payton finalist so that's a given, but GSU's Shaw came up HUGE in win or go home games against App, Furman, Wofford, and William and Mary- the last three of which were road games and 3 of those 4 were ranked in the top 10 at the time.

See, the difference between Coleman and Shaw is this... one player has a ton of talent and hype but gagged when the money was on the table whereas the other one took a team loaded with freshmen with a new coach, a new system, and won HUGE games when the money was on the table. You can have your stats and hype but I'll take wins, and presley and especially Shaw has those and your boy doesn't. Sucks for you and him but that's the way it is...

blueballs
August 20th, 2011, 04:28 PM
As for the Moore vs. Ayers argument, they are both GREAT coaches, in the top 10 in the division IMO, and you can't go wrong with either guy, but I defer to an old quote about Bear Bryant that I think describes Ayers; "He'll take his and beat your's and then take your's and beat his."

chattownmocs
August 20th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Truth hurts doesn't it? And the truth is your boy gagged last year when it mattered the most and Presley was named one of the top three players in the NATION by an unbioased nationwide panel of experts.

The difference in talent and intangibles will manafest themselves even more as Presley gains experience. In fact, if I was ranking QB's in the SoCon Coleman would be no higher than third because Presley was a Payton finalist so that's a given, but GSU's Shaw came up HUGE in win or go home games against App, Furman, Wofford, and William and Mary- the last three of which were road games and 3 of those 4 were ranked in the top 10 at the time.

See, the difference between Coleman and Shaw is this... one player has a ton of talent and hype but gagged when the money was on the table whereas the other one took a team loaded with freshmen with a new coach, a new system, and won HUGE games when the money was on the table. You can have your stats and hype but I'll take wins, and presley and especially Shaw has those and your boy doesn't. Sucks for you and him but that's the way it is...

Stopped reading when you mentioned Jaybo Shaw

Skjellyfetti
August 20th, 2011, 05:31 PM
My $.02 on the Ayers-Moore argument.

Moore has the hardware. 'Nuff said.

seantaylor
August 21st, 2011, 12:31 AM
Actually, neither Presley nor Coleman really impressed me. Neither one will go down as one of the conference's best. Armanti and Richie Williams were much better than Pressley, and ....... umm.. Chatty has never had a good QB, so I have no comparison there.

Baldy
August 21st, 2011, 04:09 AM
Stopped reading when you mentioned Jaybo Shaw

Too bad. If you had kept reading, you could have learned a thing or two. xnodx

Laserlips
August 21st, 2011, 08:13 AM

But...

You can always count on Citdog to be fair in his evaluations, and you'd be hard pressed to find a single cell of prejudice in his comments.. xconfusedx

No, wait.. I was thinking of someone else..xsmhx

Sorry,

J.

OL FU
August 21st, 2011, 03:32 PM
Citdog is a fan of lost causes:D

ursus arctos horribilis
August 21st, 2011, 03:43 PM
Citdog is the embodiment of lost causes:D

There we go.

OL FU
August 21st, 2011, 03:55 PM
As my friend (citdog) from Charleston says, "you've heard of cause heads, well I'm a lost Cause head":D

Milktruck74
August 21st, 2011, 06:57 PM
Based on What I saw yesterday at the Chattanooga Scrimmage, we either need alot of work on the O-line, or we have the best D-Line in the Country.....Sadly, I think its the former. BJ is going to throw a bunch of quick slants this year or he will have to develop some wheels.

phoenix3
August 22nd, 2011, 09:52 AM
Re: Ayers vs. Moore - Regardless of the hardware, it is still very hard to come up with a winner in this comparison. App's tuition room and board is $11,687 versus Wofford's at $42,565. This virtually eliminates a large number of high quality walk ons. A 1/2 scholarship player at WOCO still pays almost double that of a no scholly walk on at App. Also, there is the academic selectivity thing - many potentially great players are eliminated at the admissions office for WOCO. Ayers always finds a way to do a great job with those limitations.

StorminASU
August 22nd, 2011, 10:29 AM
Based on What I saw yesterday at the Chattanooga Scrimmage, we either need alot of work on the O-line, or we have the best D-Line in the Country.....Sadly, I think its the former. BJ is going to throw a bunch of quick slants this year or he will have to develop some wheels.

That's exactly what I came away thinking from our Fanfest this weekend. I too think our O-line is having some growing pains...though I must say I was EXTREMELY impressed with our new 3-4. Our D-line did look beastly.

eaglewraith
August 22nd, 2011, 11:04 AM
That's exactly what I came away thinking from our Fanfest this weekend. I too think our O-line is having some growing pains...though I must say I was EXTREMELY impressed with our new 3-4. Our D-line did look beastly.

Against an OL that's having problems, you could be getting a false sense of exactly how good your DL is.

kdinva
August 22nd, 2011, 11:26 AM
Re: Ayers vs. Moore - Regardless of the hardware, it is still very hard to come up with a winner in this comparison. App's tuition room and board is $11,687 versus Wofford's at $42,565. This virtually eliminates a large number of high quality walk ons. A 1/2 scholarship player at WOCO still pays almost double that of a no scholly walk on at App. Also, there is the academic selectivity thing - many potentially great players are eliminated at the admissions office for WOCO. Ayers always finds a way to do a great job with those limitations.

+1.

StorminASU
August 22nd, 2011, 11:40 AM
Against an OL that's having problems, you could be getting a false sense of exactly how good your DL is.

I should have been clearer, but I believe they were so dominate in their technique they're going to be a force. We also were blitzing quite well this weekend, which made me think the d-line (i'm just saying line because the blitz guy is coming up) is going to be more dominate than in the past.

Apphole
August 22nd, 2011, 11:45 AM

Our admission standards are quite high. Just sayin'

ASUMountaineer
August 22nd, 2011, 01:17 PM

xlolx

That's awesome.

PaladinFan
August 22nd, 2011, 01:36 PM
xlolx

That's awesome.

chattown has now reached the level of saying absurd stuff just to get a rise out of people.

Reign of Terrier
August 22nd, 2011, 01:41 PM
Our admission standards are quite high. Just sayin'

xlolxxlolxxlolx

phoenixphanatic21
August 22nd, 2011, 01:43 PM
chattown has now reached the level of saying absurd stuff just to get a rise out of people.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__1PlVidl1i4/Sr3PUfYXSpI/AAAAAAAAGZ8/AYOVdWfPUY8/s400/av_ot.jpg

Eaglesrus
August 22nd, 2011, 01:53 PM

Personally, I believe that happened LONG before now. When did he start contributing his pearls of wisdom to AGS? I believe that would be the date.

Apphole
August 22nd, 2011, 02:03 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolx

Surely you don't mock the Boulder of the east with an Ivy league twist (US News) as you sit in the dumbest state of the union.

Skjellyfetti
August 22nd, 2011, 02:42 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolx

Wofford's admissions aren't that much higher, really. Reading Wofford fans' posts... you'd think the difference would be much greater.

Wofford just costs ~4x the money.

Apphole
August 22nd, 2011, 03:14 PM
Wofford's admissions aren't that much higher, really. Reading Wofford fans' posts... you'd think the difference would be much greater.

Wofford just costs ~4x the money.

Admission standards at relative anyway. I'm sure if most of our applicants were from SC we would deny more of those idiots too.

Reign of Terrier
August 22nd, 2011, 03:14 PM
Surely you don't mock the Boulder of the east with an Ivy league twist (US News) as you sit in the dumbest state of the union.

oh yes I do mock it. I had App State on my list of colleges a million years ago, but they are so notorious for being a party school that everyone I know told me to take it off. If we're going to list credentials given by newspapers, Wofford has a very very long list (most recently in the top 75 colleges in the nation), and I'm not going to bore you with all of them.

ASUG8
August 22nd, 2011, 03:17 PM
oh yes I do mock it. I had App State on my list of colleges a million years ago, but they are so notorious for being a party school that everyone I know told me to take it off. If we're going to list credentials given by newspapers, Wofford has a very very long list (most recently in the top 75 colleges in the nation), and I'm not going to bore you with all of them.

http://www.campuscorner.com/south-carolina-colleges/wofford-college.htm
http://www.campuscorner.com/north-carolina-colleges/appalachian-state-university.htm

Not a huge difference, YT.

longtimemocfan
August 22nd, 2011, 03:19 PM

After this year you may see a transition in offense philosophy at Chattanooga.
One of the QB's in the running to replace Coleman next year is a dual threat QB.

blueballs
August 22nd, 2011, 03:22 PM
App is a notorious party school, the women have few if any teeth, the guys are interested in their cuzzins and goats, and they are reknown for the highest quality 'shine... you might want to rethink that YT. Just sayin... :p

;)

Reign of Terrier
August 22nd, 2011, 03:22 PM
Admission standards at relative anyway. I'm sure if most of our applicants were from SC we would deny more of those idiots too.

Considering the middle-50% range by the incoming freshmen at Wofford (1160-1340) is higher than the average score of incoming freshmen at ASU (1136), I'd say our standards are by and large tougher

Apphole
August 22nd, 2011, 03:23 PM

Biggest mistake of your life. Yeah we have fun up here, but our admission standards are second only to UNC amoung public NC universities. We have it all

Reign of Terrier
August 22nd, 2011, 03:24 PM
http://www.campuscorner.com/south-carolina-colleges/wofford-college.htm
http://www.campuscorner.com/north-carolina-colleges/appalachian-state-university.htm

Not a huge difference, YT.

can I call that outdated since we've had about 100 more students and 15k more per tuition ;)

Apphole
August 22nd, 2011, 03:32 PM
I'd take a school that's a 7 on the academic sale and a 10 on the fun scale over a school that's an 8 on the academic scale and 2 on the fun any day. I sure do wish it cost me 40k a year though. Man that must be awesome

Apphole
August 22nd, 2011, 03:34 PM
App is a notorious party school, the women have few if any teeth, the guys are interested in their cuzzins and goats, and they are reknown for the highest quality 'shine... you might want to rethink that YT. Just sayin... :p

;)

I heard from a GA friend that GaSo is like the ECU of GA. If you have a pulse, you're accepted.

ASUG8
August 22nd, 2011, 03:35 PM
can I call that outdated since we've had about 100 more students and 15k more per tuition ;)

Whatever makes you feel better. :D

Even if the data is a couple of years old, the averages wouldn't likely be dramatically different. WoCo is a solid academic school, but based on these averages I don't see the bang for the buck over ASU, which is also a solid school.

chattownmocs
August 22nd, 2011, 03:37 PM
BJ to JB. Anything more need to be said? Mocs will go unbeaten in the SOCON.

Skjellyfetti
August 22nd, 2011, 03:40 PM
JB likes the sound of that.

Apphole
August 22nd, 2011, 03:41 PM
BJ to JB. Anything more need to be said. Mocs will go unbeaten in the SOCON.

Some Elon player will hit him in the knees on coaches orders and he'll miss the rest of the season. But that's good for you. Then you can have the excuse. Too bad you're losing to Woff, App and GaSo regardless.

Reign of Terrier
August 22nd, 2011, 03:46 PM
I'd take a school that's a 7 on the academic sale and a 10 on the fun scale over a school that's an 8 on the academic scale and 2 on the fun any day. I sure do wish it cost me 40k a year though. Man that must be awesome

Forbes ranks Wofford as the 73rd best College in the nation (best in SC, #14 in the South) in comparison to App State which 438th (behind 10 other colleges in NC). Definitely not a 7 to an 8 from an educational standpoint...there are only 650 colleges/universities on the list

http://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/list/#p_1_s_arank_

Reign of Terrier
August 22nd, 2011, 03:47 PM
I heard from a GA friend that GaSo is like the ECU of GA. If you have a pulse, you're accepted.

Actually....yes. Those freaking emails won't leave me alone

Apphole
August 22nd, 2011, 03:55 PM
Forbes ranks Wofford as the 73rd best College in the nation (best in SC, #14 in the South) in comparison to App State which 438th (behind 10 other colleges in NC). Definitely not a 7 to an 8 from an educational standpoint
I've seen us at the top middle and bottom of thousands of lists. They're all BS. Personal bias, regional bias, ignorant bias, the works. Let's stick to actual comparisons like earlier. That's the only valid way to compare schools, especially public/private in two different States.

chattownmocs
August 22nd, 2011, 04:09 PM
Some Elon player will hit him in the knees on coaches orders and he'll miss the rest of the season. But that's good for you. Then you can have the excuse. Too bad you're losing to Woff, App and GaSo regardless.

Those 3 games have moc blowout written all over them. Mocs will sliice through this conference like a hot knife through butter.

Apphole
August 22nd, 2011, 04:17 PM
Those 3 games have moc blowout written all over them. Mocs will sliice through this conference like a hot knife through butter.

He's not slicing much laying on his back

chattownmocs
August 22nd, 2011, 04:37 PM
He's not slicing much laying on his back

Moc o line will be young but the vaunted Appy State defense probably hit him like twice last year and probably none were from the front. He will shrug your boys off like gnats.

Apphole
August 22nd, 2011, 05:07 PM
Moc o line will be young but the vaunted Appy State defense probably hit him like twice last year and probably none were from the front. He will shrug your boys off like gnats.

2010: 4-3 UTC game blitz counter:2
2011: 3-4 UTC game blitz counter: every play

asumike83
August 22nd, 2011, 05:17 PM
Mocs will go unbeaten in the SOCON.

Just the SoCon? I figure ya'll will be able to rest your starters as you cruise to an easy win over Nebraska. After warming up while you wipe the floor with JSU, the SoCon should really just be the icing on the cake that gets you ready for the postseason. You may have to play your starters all game during the playoffs, but I doubt anybody will come within 10 points.

The boys in Boone, Statesboro and Spartanburg are talking about titles to posture and appease the fans but in reality, we're all just hoping to not lose by more than 2 or 3 TD's to that juggernaut over in The Mecca. If we can get on the board against the smothering UT-C defense and keep you guys out of the 60's on offense, I'll be quite pleased.

bigCasu
August 22nd, 2011, 05:23 PM
We hit him twice, and he fumbled both times.

asumike83
August 22nd, 2011, 05:26 PM
the vaunted Appy State defense probably hit him like twice last year and probably none were from the front. He will shrug your boys off like gnats.

He probably got sacked 3 times and probably fumbled away 2 of them. Those must be some damn big gnats!

It would help if you watched the game.

chattownmocs
August 22nd, 2011, 05:37 PM
Just the SoCon? I figure ya'll will be able to rest your starters as you cruise to an easy win over Nebraska. After warming up while you wipe the floor with JSU, the SoCon should really just be the icing on the cake that gets you ready for the postseason. You may have to play your starters all game during the playoffs, but I doubt anybody will come within 10 points.

The boys in Boone, Statesboro and Spartanburg are talking about titles to posture and appease the fans but in reality, we're all just hoping to not lose by more than 2 or 3 TD's to that juggernaut over in The Mecca. If we can get on the board against the smothering UT-C defense and keep you guys out of the 60's on offense, I'll be quite pleased.

I agree that Nebraska and Jax state are the most talented teams we will face.

chattownmocs
August 22nd, 2011, 05:38 PM
He probably got sacked 3 times and probably fumbled away 2 of them. Those must be some damn big gnats!

It would help if you watched the game.

Pretty small gnats. He got hit a couple times. Not mch because he was too busy confusing and confounding the App defense. Why does app bite so hard on every play action?

GlassOnion
August 22nd, 2011, 05:44 PM
Pretty small gnats. He got hit a couple times. Not mch because he was too busy confusing and confounding the App defense. Why does app bite so hard on every play action?

Beacause we can do it and still beat you.

ASUG8
August 22nd, 2011, 06:41 PM

UTC needs to finish games, not mail it in during the 4th quarter.

chattownmocs
August 22nd, 2011, 08:10 PM
Beacause we can do it and still beat you.

I knew it, App State was failing on purpose. They knew they would turn it on and the fluke plays would start going there way. This program they call App State is more powerful than God.

Skjellyfetti
August 22nd, 2011, 08:39 PM
We certainly have a history of fluke plays going our way. xthumbsupx

Cliche, but true... good teams make their luck.

Saint3333
August 22nd, 2011, 09:49 PM
Forbes ranks Wofford as the 73rd best College in the nation (best in SC, #14 in the South) in comparison to App State which 438th (behind 10 other colleges in NC). Definitely not a 7 to an 8 from an educational standpoint...there are only 650 colleges/universities on the list

http://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/list/#p_1_s_arank_

I should probably tell the Wofford grad that works for me tomorrow he's been promoted. There's no way I should be his boss...

Get off your high horse, both are good schools. If you're going into business choose App, better program and 1/4th the cost. Consider this your first lesson.

GunsAndGuitars
August 22nd, 2011, 10:05 PM
This program they call App State is more powerful than God. xnodx

Nah, no need to move the mountains, but I'm pretty sure God doesn't live far from Grandfather Mountain. Skjellyfetti said it well, but I think it's good teams that merely live on their good fortune. It's only the great teams that create their luck.

dgtw
August 23rd, 2011, 06:33 AM

Likely the Mocs won't be in Frisco. I predict the BCS will invite them to their championship game.

Reign of Terrier
August 23rd, 2011, 09:54 AM
I should probably tell the Wofford grad that works for me tomorrow he's been promoted. There's no way I should be his boss...

Get off your high horse, both are good schools. If you're going into business choose App, better program and 1/4th the cost. Consider this your first lesson.

I'm just showing numbers....it's pointless to argue because no one is going to concede that their school is inadequate in any way. I stand by my original comment, admission standards are tougher at Wofford from an academic and financial standpoint, and Ayers get brownie points for winning there

GlassOnion
August 23rd, 2011, 10:01 AM
I'm just showing numbers....it's pointless to argue because no one is going to concede that their school is inadequate in any way. I stand by my original comment, admission standards are tougher at Wofford from an academic and financial standpoint, and Ayers get brownie points for winning there

Ayers can take the brownie points, Moore will take the Wins. 199 Socon victories and counting.

Jerry Moore 199-76 (.716) 1989-Present--------------------------- Ayers 154-107-1 1988-Present

blueballs
August 23rd, 2011, 10:01 AM
xnodx

Nah, no need to move the mountains, but I'm pretty sure God doesn't live far from Grandfather Mountain. Skjellyfetti said it well, but I think it's good teams that merely live on their good fortune. It's only the great teams that create their luck.

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity.... both have seemed to bypass Chattanooga in the past few decades..................

Saint3333
August 23rd, 2011, 10:11 AM

I'm "conceding" that both are great schools. I'm fine with you wanting to give brownie points, just try no to degrade ASU academics in the process.

Reign of Terrier
August 23rd, 2011, 10:18 AM
Ayers can take the brownie points, Moore will take the Wins. 199 Socon victories and counting.

Jerry Moore 199-76 (.716) 1989-Present--------------------------- Ayers 154-107-1 1988-Present
Ayers has only been in the SoCon for 13 years.

GlassOnion
August 23rd, 2011, 10:25 AM

That just makes his record from 88' worse, as his record includes division 2 teams. Meanwhile, Jerry Moore was playing Georgia Southern, Marshall, Montana...

StorminASU
August 23rd, 2011, 10:38 AM

As glass onion said, why would you point this out? Someone above said it best, both schools are great, both schools draw students looking for different experiences in college (public vs. private); it's fine to keep arguing that, but don't knock one institution when you act like you're conceding. Somewhere there is a Wofford grad working for an App grad and vice versa.

SuperEagle
August 23rd, 2011, 10:41 AM
Nothing could be further from the truth. Not having a pulse doesn't necessarily disqualify you :)

Reign of Terrier
August 23rd, 2011, 11:03 AM
That just makes his record from 88' worse, as his record includes division 2 teams. Meanwhile, Jerry Moore was playing Georgia Southern, Marshall, Montana...

I pointed that out because we were pointing out "SoCon victories" I'm pretty sure Moore doesn't have 199 Socon victories (just sayin). I was offering a counterpoint to the "Socon victory" argument, Moore having more means nothing seeing as he's been in the conference 8 years more. Ayers built the program, and there were growing pains. The fact that he didn't go undefeated against the D2 teams he played means nothing.

GlassOnion
August 23rd, 2011, 11:14 AM
I pointed that out because we were pointing out "SoCon victories" I'm pretty sure Moore doesn't have 199 Socon victories (just sayin). I was offering a counterpoint to the "Socon victory" argument, Moore having more means nothing seeing as he's been in the conference 8 years more. Ayers built the program, and there were growing pains. The fact that he didn't go undefeated against the D2 teams he played means nothing.

Jerry Moore absolutely has 199 SOCON wins. 226 wins overall, 199 wins at App.

Mountaineer
August 23rd, 2011, 11:17 AM
Jerry Moore absolutely has 199 SOCON victories. 226 victories overall, 199 victories at App.

The 199 count is his overall total at App.

Jerry's SoCon record is 132-36, still the most in conference history, and a gaudy .786 winning percentage. Coach is a bad man. xnodx

chattownmocs
August 23rd, 2011, 11:20 AM
Jerry Moore, retire dude, you are an embarrassment out there. You are almost as old as JoePa. Give it up man. They have a nice room for you in a retirement home somewhere.

Reign of Terrier
August 23rd, 2011, 11:25 AM
Jerry Moore absolutely has 199 SOCON wins. 226 wins overall, 199 wins at App.

no......he has 132 :)

GlassOnion
August 23rd, 2011, 11:25 AM
The 199 count is his overall total at App.

Jerry's SoCon record is 132-36, still the most in conference history, and a gaudy .786 winning percentage. Coach is a bad man. xnodx

Dammit. Thats what I get for rushing, I thought I had that anklebiter! MY BAD youngterrier! Thanks mountaineer!

Reign of Terrier
August 23rd, 2011, 11:28 AM
Dammit. Thats what I get for rushing, I thought I had that anklebiter! MY BAD youngterrier! Thanks mountaineer!

If it's any consolation, I responded without thinking that too.....then it hit me. We don't play 10 Socon games in a season :P

GlassOnion
August 23rd, 2011, 11:59 AM
If it's any consolation, I responded without thinking that too.....then it hit me. We don't play 10 Socon games in a season :P

You must be hard at work too! I see so many damn graphs and schedules I skip most of them now.