PDA

View Full Version : Is Division I a good fit for RPI?

Bogus Megapardus
August 16th, 2011, 09:07 PM
"RPI actually fits better in the Patriot League than it does in the Liberty League."

Tom Reale, in his Without a Peer RPI Hockey Blog, has his say (including, of course, a discussion of the benefits of the Patriot League):

Without a Peer (http://www.withoutapeer.com/2011/08/excellence-leadership-and-community.html)

Reale seems to be saying that RPI was "approached" with the idea in 2003, but the Engineers' facilities at that time were a "stumbling block." Now, with the completion of the state-of-the-art East Campus Athletic Village at The Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, has the situation changed?

UAalum72
August 16th, 2011, 09:29 PM
If they want to do it, one problem they WOULDN'T have would be money.

The stadium holds 5,200, but I'm sure the Engineers could figure out a way to expand it.

Apphole
August 16th, 2011, 09:34 PM
What's "hockey?"

Sader87
August 16th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Great, yet another school we have zero ties with historically or institutionally....sign 'em up.

Go...gate
August 16th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Great, yet another school we have zero ties with historically or institutionally....sign 'em up.

Sader, who do you suggest? UNH and Maine have been run up the flagpole but neither seem to be interested.

Go...gate
August 16th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Tom Reale, in his Without a Peer RPI Hockey Blog, has his say (including, of course, a discussion of the benefits of the Patriot League):

Without a Peer (http://www.withoutapeer.com/2011/08/excellence-leadership-and-community.html)

Reale seems to be saying that RPI was "approached" with the idea in 2003, but the Engineers' facilities at that time were a "stumbling block." Now, with the completion of the state-of-the-art East Campus Athletic Village at The Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, has the situation changed?

Thanks for posting, Bogus.

ngineer
August 16th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I wonder the U of Rochester would be interested in stepping up to FCS? Tremendous academic reputation, decent size student body, nice facilities. Would also make a natural rival for RPI within an expanded PL footprint.

Bogus Megapardus
August 16th, 2011, 10:20 PM
I wonder the U of Rochester would be interested in stepping up to FCS? Tremendous academic reputation, decent size student body, nice facilities. Would also make a natural rival for RPI within an expanded PL footprint.

Rochester has been one of my top choices for years. Perfect fit, along with Hopkins.

Having said that, it appears that RPI actually has been expressing interest, which is nice.

ccd494
August 16th, 2011, 10:36 PM

I think you would be more likely to see R.I.T. If they move up to D-I in all other sports, their D-I hockey team can start offering scholarships and immediately become an attractive option to join a better conference with their great fan support.

Pard4Life
August 16th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Yes RPI and Rochester are great academic additions, but less than stellar athletic additions. We would be expanding the pool of schools seeking academic athletes, diluting the pool, theoretically, for the rest of us to recruit from. Of course there is the APR and institutional requirements, but with more stringent admissions than the Ivy, are we just hurting ourselves with expansion? And with less competitive programs too?

Sure Lafayette has no connections historically with HC but hey, since the PL was born, classes of LC and HC grads acknowledge the athletic rivalry, so the perception of "nothing in common" will pass with RPI and Rochester as well. Coincidentally, Lafayette has ties with Rochester's b-school.

Redwyn
August 17th, 2011, 12:32 AM

My dad is an RPI man. He told me many stories about RPI athletics. About how there were 3 levels of physics at RPI: engineering, bio, and 'Ockey

He told me many fond stories about RPI athletic matches. And by athletic matches I mean all 'Ockey.

He told me stories about the high degree of student involvement in athletic rivalries, about their commitment to their team....the 'Ockey team.

You get where I'm going here.

Like Hopkins, RPI is a one trick D1 pony. It does two things:
1. It makes it clear what sport is king at the institution. At Hopkins lacrosse is god. At RPI hockey is lord and master. These are not unique in single sport commitments - NY State is full of them.
2. Costs of going D1 are more than D3. I don't have much to back this up with money-wise, but just the change in scope from generally regional D3 to national D1 makes a difference. Recruitment changes, coaching salaries go up, facilities need upgrading. Even with the new village in shape there are lots of budgetary additions that contribute to a D1 upgrade. All these WILL come at the expense of the stature and funding to HOCKEY.

Like Hopkins, I find it hard to believe that RPI will ever go D1 in all sports. And don't kid yourself about hockey recruitment at RPI. There is NO restriction on what athlete can attend there. If he is good with a puck, he's in. It's all about winning there, as it is with most single big time sports at high level institutions. Even Hopkins will bend rules for lax players, just like Harvard's present basketball coach (Tommy Amaker sp?) bends Ivy recruiting rules to get who he wants.

citdog
August 17th, 2011, 01:51 AM
Anyone who doubts that we Southron's and these yankees who descend from the sewers of Europe are different peoples need only read this thread. What the **** these people are talking about is a mystery. It seems to have something to do with RPI which to us is a rating system for college basketball and baseball. Canada should just annex them already.

UAalum72
August 17th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Anyone who doubts that we Southron's and these yankees who descend from the sewers of Europe are different peoples need only read this thread. What the **** these people are talking about is a mystery. It seems to have something to do with RPI which to us is a rating system for college basketball and baseball. Canada should just annex them already.
Just shows how insular, small-minded, and parochial you are. We're talking about a college that's 18 years older than that SC parade ground.

Redwyn
August 17th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Just shows how insular, small-minded, and parochial you are. We're talking about a college that's 18 years older than that SC parade ground.

I think it was just an inflammatory joke mate ;) Just a citdog sense of humor, haha.

UAalum72
August 17th, 2011, 09:58 AM
I think it was just an inflammatory joke mate ;) Just a citdog sense of humor, haha.
You should put 'humor' in quotes.

DFW HOYA
August 17th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Is Division I a good fit for RPI? No.

Sader87
August 17th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Sader, who do you suggest? UNH and Maine have been run up the flagpole but neither seem to be interested.

In all honesty, I'd prefer HC as an independent in football. Schedule 3 or 4 New England Ivy teams (Harvard, Dartmouth, Brown, Yale) like we already do, 3 or 4 former Yankee/A-10/CAA schools (UNH, Maine, URI, Villanova), 2 or 3 "traditional/institutional" rivals (Colgate, GTown, Fordham) and then 1 or 2 "reach" games every year (Army, Navy, BC, UConn etc.).

Franks Tanks
August 17th, 2011, 10:32 AM
In all honesty, I'd prefer HC as an independent in football. Schedule 3 or 4 New England Ivy teams (Harvard, Dartmouth, Brown, Yale) like we already do, 3 or 4 former Yankee/A-10/CAA schools (UNH, Maine, URI, Villanova), 2 or 3 "traditional/institutional" rivals (Colgate, GTown, Fordham) and then 1 or 2 "reach" games every year (Army, Navy, BC, UConn etc.).

To have that schedule you would need scholarships. If you had scholarships the Ivies would be less likely to schedule you-- you may get one game a year against the Ancient 8.

Ivytalk
August 17th, 2011, 11:10 AM
My dad is an RPI man. He told me many stories about RPI athletics. About how there were 3 levels of physics at RPI: engineering, bio, and 'Ockey

He told me many fond stories about RPI athletic matches. And by athletic matches I mean all 'Ockey.

He told me stories about the high degree of student involvement in athletic rivalries, about their commitment to their team....the 'Ockey team.

You get where I'm going here.

Like Hopkins, RPI is a one trick D1 pony. It does two things:
1. It makes it clear what sport is king at the institution. At Hopkins lacrosse is god. At RPI hockey is lord and master. These are not unique in single sport commitments - NY State is full of them.
2. Costs of going D1 are more than D3. I don't have much to back this up with money-wise, but just the change in scope from generally regional D3 to national D1 makes a difference. Recruitment changes, coaching salaries go up, facilities need upgrading. Even with the new village in shape there are lots of budgetary additions that contribute to a D1 upgrade. All these WILL come at the expense of the stature and funding to HOCKEY.

Like Hopkins, I find it hard to believe that RPI will ever go D1 in all sports. And don't kid yourself about hockey recruitment at RPI. There is NO restriction on what athlete can attend there. If he is good with a puck, he's in. It's all about winning there, as it is with most single big time sports at high level institutions. Even Hopkins will bend rules for lax players, just like Harvard's present basketball coach (Tommy Amaker sp?) bends Ivy recruiting rules to get who he wants.

Well said. I agree.

citdog
August 17th, 2011, 03:14 PM

Why the hell would I care about FOREIGNERS playing sports on what I put in my sweet tea to keep it cold? Thanks for shooting back though! You fired your one volley so now, in keeping with your yankee heritage and tradition, it is time for you to show me your BACK as you fly from the field.

UAalum72
August 17th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Why the hell would I care about FOREIGNERS playing sports on what I put in my sweet tea to keep it cold? Thanks for shooting back though! You fired your one volley so now, in keeping with your yankee heritage and tradition, it is time for you to show me your BACK as you fly from the field.
You must care about it, since you're unable to shut your yap and stay out of the thread.

Tell me, when you're in a place where they're saying the Pledge of Allegiance to the United States of America, do you go all PC on us and recite it along with the crowd, or do you stick with your so-called principles and shut up and turn your back when they get to the part about "one nation...indivisible"?

citdog
August 17th, 2011, 04:34 PM
You must care about it, since you're unable to shut your yap and stay out of the thread.

Tell me, when you're in a place where they're saying the Pledge of Allegiance to the United States of America, do you go all PC on us and recite it along with the crowd, or do you stick with your so-called principles and shut up and turn your back when they get to the part about "one nation...indivisible"?

No I just never miss an opportunity to point out the differences between us and how we are as distinctly different from one another as the English and French.
I chuckle at the ABSURDITY of the statement 'indivisible'. In a land that says it is free that freedom is but an illusion when others can force a government upon free men that does not enjoy their consent.

UAalum72
August 17th, 2011, 04:37 PM
So you laugh at the Pledge of Allegiance? I knew you hated America.

citdog
August 17th, 2011, 04:41 PM
So you laugh at the Pledge of Allegiance? I knew you hated America.

I LOVE America! I HATE the point of the BAYONET that pins us together.

Sader87
August 17th, 2011, 05:12 PM
To have that schedule you would need scholarships. If you had scholarships the Ivies would be less likely to schedule you-- you may get one game a year against the Ancient 8. of playing scholarships schools

Do I think this will ever happen? No, we are too vested in the PL right now....just stating what my particular ideal HC football schedule would look like. I have to laugh at Harvard's (and other Ivies) fear of playing scholarship schools as well....H/Y/P are essentially scholarship programs now.

Now back to Citdog's ravings on the "War of Northern Aggression."

RichH2
August 17th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Maybe Citdog is actually our favorite MplsBison . They both show an inability to think beyond their own preconceptions. A nihilist in attitude but a bigot in practice. freedom is for everyone Dog , including us if we want to speculate about a "hockey" school joining our ranks. No one is asking you to like it jsut respect our right to discuss it. Does seem for someone who claims to love our country, you spew a lot of bile at those of us not from your little neck of the woods.

TheBisonator
August 17th, 2011, 05:59 PM
I don't think citdog has ever been north of the 40th Parallel in his entire life.

citdog
August 17th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Maybe Citdog is actually our favorite MplsBison . They both show an inability to think beyond their own preconceptions. A nihilist in attitude but a bigot in practice. freedom is for everyone Dog , including us if we want to speculate about a "hockey" school joining our ranks. No one is asking you to like it jsut respect our right to discuss it. Does seem for someone who claims to love our country, you spew a lot of bile at those of us not from your little neck of the woods.

You are free, of course, to discuss hokey here. I am also free to mock you for it. What you don't seem to understand is that we are citizens of the 'late united states' by FORCE and VIOLENCE and as our friend Ghandi said.......

"A victory attained by violence is tantamount to a defeat, for it is only temporary."

DEO VINDICE

TheBisonator
August 17th, 2011, 08:06 PM
You are free, of course, to discuss hokey here. I am also free to mock you for it. What you don't seem to understand is that we are citizens of the 'late united states' by FORCE and VIOLENCE and as our friend Ghandi said.......

"A victory attained by violence is tantamount to a defeat, for it is only temporary."

DEO VINDICE

You think Gandhi would ever be on your side of history, LOLxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox

citdog
August 17th, 2011, 08:44 PM
You think Gandhi would ever be on your side of history, LOLxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox

"I cannot teach you violence, as I do not myself believe in it. I can only teach you not to bow your heads before anyone even at the cost of your life."
Gandhi

"Rather than submit to shame to die we would prefer. So hoist on high the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star. Hurrah! Hurrah! For Southern Rights Hurrah!"
The Bonnie Blue Flag

Sader87
August 17th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Put citdog down (not literally) as one vote for Rick Perry.

Holy Cross is playing College of Charleston in hoop down there on November 11th...love to have you show me the sights.

Seawolf97
August 17th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Great thought about RPI but I think it is reach at best for them to ramp up tp play in the PL. Great school though.

danefan
August 18th, 2011, 08:22 AM
RPI is the best fit for PL expansion. The have the academics and the money, but the issue is not only the desire but also them. To go from DIII to DI would take over 10 years as the rules read now.

And the big question I don't know the answer to is whether they could transition to DII (which they have to do first) and still keep their DI grandfathered status for 'Ockey.

UAalum72
August 18th, 2011, 09:30 AM
And the big question I don't know the answer to is whether they could transition to DII (which they have to do first) and still keep their DI grandfathered status for 'Ockey.
There is no D-II hockey. Bentley, AIC, and Mercyhurst are D-II with D-I hockey. The grandfather clause only applies to D-III schools, for example there are a lot of D-II schools playing D-I baseball.

I don't see how they could make them downgrade for just the transition period and then upgrade again.

Bogus Megapardus
August 18th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Perhaps the eight "Proposition 65-1" schools (including RPI and Hopkins) wouldn't be required to take the Division II step. After all, it wasn't too long ago at all that the NCAA was telling these places they HAD to move everything to Division I if they wanted to keep their single-sport scholarships. The Division II "transition period," at least as I understand it, is to enable the school to gear up to scholarship level responsibilities. This is something RPI already has accomplished. I suspect that if RPI sought an invitation to the PL, the vote would be immediate and unanimous. You'd never see the PL act on anything so quickly in your life.

Again - there are only eight schools in the country to which the "grandfather clause" applies. RPI is one of them. The grandfather clause applies only to Division III schools that provide scholarships in a single sport.

ANY Division III school can apply to play a single sport in Division I, as long as they don't give scholarships, and as long as that sport is not football or basketball. Union College (RPI's nemesis) plays non-scholarship DI hockey. MIT rows in Division I and is actually a PL associate member in that sport. Hobart plays Division I lacrosse, and Franklin and Marshall wrestles in Division I. I'm sure there are several others. In fact, Lafayette College has NCAA varsity fencing and it competes against Division III Swarthmore and Haverford, as well as Division I Penn State and Rutgers, so there has to be something going on there, too.

danefan
August 18th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Perhaps the eight "Proposition 65-1" schools (including RPI and Hopkins) wouldn't be required to take the Division II step. After all, it wasn't too long ago at all that the NCAA was telling these places they HAD to move everything to Division I if they wanted to keep their single-sport scholarships. The Division II "transition period," at least as I understand it, is to enable the school to gear up to scholarship level responsibilities. This is something RPI already has accomplished. I suspect that if RPI sought an invitation to the PL, the vote would be immediate and unanimous. You'd never see the PL act on anything so quickly in your life.

Again - there are only eight schools in the country to which the "grandfather clause" applies. RPI is one of them. The grandfather clause applies only to Division III schools that provide scholarships in a single sport.

ANY Division III school can apply to play a single sport in Division I, as long as they don't give scholarships, and as long as that sport is not football or basketball. Union College (RPI's nemesis) plays non-scholarship DI hockey. MIT rows in Division I and is actually a PL associate member in that sport. Hobart plays Division I lacrosse, and Franklin and Marshall wrestles in Division I. I'm sure there are several others. In fact, Lafayette College has NCAA varsity fencing and it competes against Division III Swarthmore and Haverford, as well as Division I Penn State and Rutgers, so there has to be something going on there, too.

I never knew Union was non-scholarship hockey. They play in the ECAC with Union. I always just assumed they both were scholarship.

ccd494
August 18th, 2011, 10:28 AM
I never knew Union was non-scholarship hockey. They play in the ECAC with Union. I always just assumed they both were scholarship.

Union could have offered scholarships pre-grandfather clause but didn't. In fact, they were seen as driving the bus to force RPI (and Clarkson and St. Lawrence and Colorado College) to give up their scholarships. It was a big to-do.

Bogus Megapardus
August 18th, 2011, 10:29 AM

Union has no scholarships, which is why any Union victory over RPI is very sweet for the Dutchmen. Union moved to Division I hockey in 1991 so it was not grandfathered. Union also voted against Proposition 65-1.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 18th, 2011, 10:52 AM

All these D-III schools, though, have good deals with their hybrid status, and they know it. That's why they keep voting against any rules to change the status.

The main problem with speculation like this is while RPI seems to be for many folks to be "Patriot League" enough for membership, what's in it for RPI? The status quo is best for them by far: they can still funnel most of their athletics budget into 'Ockey, while not needing to worry about fully funding the other sports, spending millions of dollars on a 5 year (at best, with an explicit exception from the NCAA) or a 12 year (at worst) transition, and once in Division I spending millions in order to get in compliance with those pesky Title IX issues. The same applies to all these small, private schools like Hopkins and RPI that are, or want to, play a singular D-I sport.

The only way Hopkins or RPI will realistically become Patriot League members is if the "Dayton Rule" is extended to both hockey and lacrosse, something that is not out of the realm of possibility but hasn't been discussed here. But that would require a level of focus from the NCAA that doesn't appear forthcoming. Their crosshairs are (rightly) now focused on chasing corruption with the big boys rather than debating whether Union should be a Division I school. If anything, the NCAA has been raising the bar for D-I membership in order to keep future SIU-Edwardsville's from joining Division I.

In other words, dream on.

Bogus Megapardus
August 18th, 2011, 11:02 AM
The only way Hopkins or RPI will realistically become Patriot League members is if the "Dayton Rule" is extended to both hockey and lacrosse, something that is not out of the realm of possibility but hasn't been discussed here.

I don't think RPI hockey or Hopkins lacrosse would be affected even if the Dayton Rule were to be extended to hockey and lacrosse. The "grandfather" exemption to those schools was declared "permanent" when Proposition 65-1 was passed.

Sader87
August 18th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Oh for RPI to join the Patriot League....one can dream, can't I????

Go...gate
August 18th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Union has no scholarships, which is why any Union victory over RPI is very sweet for the Dutchmen. Union moved to Division I hockey in 1991 so it was not grandfathered. Union also voted against Proposition 65-1.

Agreed.

Go...gate
August 18th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Oh for RPI to join the Patriot League....one can dream, can't I????

Maybe you guys can replace Miami in the ACC. ; )

Sader87
August 18th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Maybe you guys can replace Miami in the ACC. ; )

We coulda been in the Big East y'know.....:(

Bogus Megapardus
August 18th, 2011, 03:30 PM
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/626/holycross06.jpg

Bogus Megapardus
August 18th, 2011, 03:46 PM
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/6641/holycross7.jpg

Sader87
August 18th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Those are fabulous Bogie.....and yes, I am going to steal them...consider it sort of a "professional PL courtesy."

Bogus Megapardus
August 18th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Those are fabulous Bogie.....and yes, I am going to steal them...consider it sort of a "professional PL courtesy."

Pleased to oblige, Sader87.

BTW - I'm stealing your Lafayette "wine-sipping" motif for our NDSU game. Wine-Sippers vs. Cow-Tippers.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 18th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Pleased to oblige, Sader87.

BTW - I'm stealing your Lafayette "wine-sipping" motif for our NDSU game. Wine-Sippers vs. Cow-Tippers.

I likey! And I'm stealing this for my Week One picks! xlolx

dgtw
August 19th, 2011, 06:52 AM
There is no D-II hockey. Bentley, AIC, and Mercyhurst are D-II with D-I hockey. The grandfather clause only applies to D-III schools, for example there are a lot of D-II schools playing D-I baseball.

I don't see how they could make them downgrade for just the transition period and then upgrade again.

I didn't know you could play DII baseball but be DII in everything else.

Bogus Megapardus
August 19th, 2011, 07:41 AM
I likey! And I'm stealing this for my Week One picks! xlolx

I recon Hoss and the Fargo boys are likely to spill that wine (and take that pearl) . . . though we do have an overfed, long-haired leaping gnome at our disposal.

UAalum72
August 19th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I didn't know you could play DII baseball but be DII in everything else.
New York Tech, LeMoyne, Kennesaw State, Dallas Baptist and a few others.

Go...gate
August 19th, 2011, 03:54 PM
In light of what Miami may be about to go through, perhaps Carolyn Femovich should be calling Donna Shalala. I can see it now: "NCAA sanctions Hurricanes, sentences them to ten years in Patriot League"....

Bogus Megapardus
August 19th, 2011, 04:33 PM
In light of what Miami may be about to go through, perhaps Carolyn Femovich should be calling Donna Shalala. I can see it now: "NCAA sanctions Hurricanes, sentences them to ten years in Patriot League"....

xlolxxrotatehxxnodx

Now THAT'S funny, 'gate.

dgtw
August 19th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Are DII schools allowed to play DI in other sports (not counting ones like hockey and gymnastics where DII doesn't exist)?

Bogus Megapardus
August 19th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Are DII schools allowed to play DI in other sports (not counting ones like hockey and gymnastics where DII doesn't exist)?

As I understand it, in any sport that does not have a Division II national championship, Division II members are allowed to award the same number of scholarships as Division I members and they can compete for the national title. This includes hockey and men's volleyball.

MplsBison
August 19th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Is Division I a good fit for the Patriot League?

Seriously. Any conference school that wins the PL's auto-bid to the NCAA DI national tournament is automatically condemned to play against a bunch of public schools who have the unethical advantage of paying their players. The inevitable outcome is to lose.

What possible benefit is there in that? Just to call the school "Division I"?

Move down to DIII. Be with Rochester, RPI, MIT, etc. Those are your peers. They share your same philosophy in athletics and academics. Then with the PL in DIII, you could add any of those schools easily.

What's the problem?

Bogus Megapardus
August 19th, 2011, 08:38 PM

Seriously. Any conference school that wins the PL's auto-bid to the NCAA DI national tournament is automatically condemned to play against a bunch of public schools who have the unethical advantage of paying their players. The inevitable outcome is to lose.

Move down to DIII. Be with Rochester, RPI, MIT, etc. Those are your peers. They share your same philosophy in athletics and academics. Then with the PL in DIII, you could add any of those schools easily.

What's the problem?

It has returned.

Now, for the sake of the intellectually challenged, which school was in NAIA and then Division II until 2007? On the other hand, which school has been playing at the top level of college sports since 1879? Which school can claim three NATIONAL top-tier college football titles?

It seems to me that your school went to considerable lengths to move up so it could be on the same level as Lafayette and its peers. Prove me wrong, arse-wipe.

So go away, you gawd-awful, psychotically-deranged moron. Please asphyxiate yourself in a Fargo dairy barn with your 1987 Tan Ciera.

My sincerest apologies to all the other NDSU fans here who have been so friendly and welcoming, and supportive of this game, whatever the outcome. I hope to meet all of you in Fargo in three weeks.

citdog
August 19th, 2011, 09:16 PM
It has returned.

Now, for the sake of the intellectually challenged, which school was in NAIA and then Division II until 2007? On the other hand, which school has been playing at the top level of college sports since 1879? Which school can claim three NATIONAL top-tier college football titles?

It seems to me that your school went to considerable lengths to move up so it could be on the same level as Lafayette and its peers. Prove me wrong, arse-wipe.

So go away, you gawd-awful, psychotically-deranged moron. Please asphyxiate yourself in a Fargo dairy barn with your 1987 Tan Ciera.

Nicely done!

yankee scum

Bogus Megapardus
August 19th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Nicely done!

yankee scum

Much obliged, Bubba.

UAalum72
August 19th, 2011, 10:22 PM

I believe they can play one sport (for each gender) at a higher level, but not football or basketball.

Bogus Megapardus
August 19th, 2011, 10:30 PM
I believe they can play one sport (for each gender) at a higher level, but not football or basketball.

. . . plus if there's no DII national championship offered in a participated sport.

dgtw
August 19th, 2011, 10:50 PM
But there is a DII baseball tournament. So how can they play DI baseball? I thought the rule about playing up in one sport was for DIII teams.

Go...gate
August 19th, 2011, 11:57 PM

What's the problem?

Indeed, the opening day of the new footbal season draws nigh. Welcome back, MPLS.

UAalum72
August 20th, 2011, 07:48 AM
But there is a DII baseball tournament. So how can they play DI baseball? I thought the rule about playing up in one sport was for DIII teams.
One sport up for D-II. No sports up for D-III except for the grandfathered ones.

If there is no D-II championship they can choose which championship, up or down (with scholarship restrictions).

With one or two exceptions whom I've forgotten, nobody can play a single sport down (except for the championships exception)

MplsBison
August 20th, 2011, 09:32 AM
It has returned.

My sincerest apologies to all the other NDSU fans here who have been so friendly and welcoming, and supportive of this game, whatever the outcome. I hope to meet all of you in Fargo in three weeks.

Of course you dodge the argument, you know you have no chance of winning.

I'm not against the academic index and I'm not against providing only need-based aid to players.

I'm only against schools and conferences that pretend they deserve to be in the top competitive division of the NCAA while implementing such anti-competitive policies.

If your school and conference value such anti-competitive policies on an ethical basis above the top level of competition, then your rightful place is obviously not in the top competitive division. Your rightful place is in DIII, which your academic peers (MIT, Rochester, RPI, etc.) have already figured out.

RichH2
August 20th, 2011, 10:08 AM
See, I told you all, MplsBison and Citdog are from the same gene pool.

Bogus Megapardus
August 20th, 2011, 11:10 AM

Citdog has a sense of humor and doesn't really take himself that seriously. MplsBison is legitimately psychotic and should be institutionalized. He represents a danger to himself and others.

citdog
August 20th, 2011, 02:19 PM

If you were my social equal I would demand satisfaction for such a slur. "My shenanigans are cheeky and funny. His shenanigans are evil and cruel. Which makes them not shenanigans at all really. Evil shenanigans".

RichH2
August 20th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Apologies Citdog, if I offended, altho I admit I dont find you at all humorous but that's my problem not yours. I respect Bogie's opinion xnodx ( 'cept about LU-LC footballxnonono2x).

dgtw
August 20th, 2011, 03:26 PM
One sport up for D-II. No sports up for D-III except for the grandfathered ones.

If there is no D-II championship they can choose which championship, up or down (with scholarship restrictions).

With one or two exceptions whom I've forgotten, nobody can play a single sport down (except for the championships exception)

Now I undertsand, I think. Thanks for the explanation.

Go...gate
August 20th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Happy to have Citdog, MPLS and everyone else aboard. Each of us contributes to the level of the dialogue. Wonder if we will ever see Cap'n Cat and D1B again, not to mention "Marky D Lafayette" of voyforums fame. Colgate 13 was also a wonderful poster - arguably among the very best in my years (has it been that long!?) on the board.

I haven't taken much time to relax over the years, but this board has always been a place where I could visit to argue, laugh, groan, go to crapsville to drink, and other activities of value to the soul. It is good to see everyone coming back for another season.