PDA

View Full Version : What Schools Belong on the All time FCS mythical Mount Rushmore?

whoanellie
August 15th, 2011, 09:21 PM
4 Mascots will be shown. No individuals, coaches, players. Just School via their Mascot.

Sly Fox
August 15th, 2011, 09:28 PM
http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/sites/default/files/logos/college-team-logos/d-k/gramblingstate_110x110.gifhttp://services.georgiasouthern.edu/vpbf/images/strutter.gifhttp://www.logotypes101.com/files/402/dad5a4002b76c9cce3f3ae49a2db3e6c/lrg_Montana_Grizzlies95.gifhttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bd/YoungstownStatePenguins.png

Yeah, I know I left off a school in Boone.

Gringer1
Georgia Southern because of 6 championships, app because of recent success and a certain Michigan incident, Montana for long term success, and Princeton because they played the first game.

WUTNDITWAA
Georgia Southern, Appalachian State, Montana and Youngstown State.

Go...gate
August 15th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Delaware.

VT Wildcat Fan53
August 15th, 2011, 09:40 PM

Scratch the Penguins and add the Blue Hens. Otherwise, no arguments, ....

dgtw
August 15th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Georgia Southern because of 6 championships, app because of recent success and a certain Michigan incident, Montana for long term success, and Princeton because they played the first game.

If this is about FCS history only than no on Princeton.

Skjellyfetti
August 15th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Yeah, Georgia Southern, Montana, Appalachian State, Delaware. IMO.

WUTNDITWAA
August 15th, 2011, 10:05 PM

I can go along with the Hens.

App-a-latch-un
August 15th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Georgia Southern, Appalachian State, Montana, 4th? hard to say

Skjellyfetti
August 15th, 2011, 10:12 PM
UNCC, Georgia State, Elon, North Dakota State

eaglewraith
August 15th, 2011, 10:15 PM

http://500motivators.com/plog-content/thumbs/motivate/me/large/668-timestamps-because-obvious-troll-is-obvious.jpg

McNeese75
August 15th, 2011, 10:43 PM

I disagree, if you are talking about history, the Guins have enjoyed more success when it comes to the NC.

Skjellyfetti
August 15th, 2011, 10:50 PM
I disagree, if you are talking about history, the Guins have enjoyed more success when it comes to the NC.

But, it's tainted by Tressel.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 15th, 2011, 10:53 PM
App State, really? The Tressel dealings hurts YSU imo.

GSU and Montana for sure, the others need some thinking imo.

Skjellyfetti
August 15th, 2011, 11:00 PM
App State, really?

What's your argument against App and what would your 4 be?

OL FU/Mountaineer's spreadsheet is the most objective look at all-time prestige I've seen.

Georgia Southern 970
Montana 790
Appalachian State 635
Youngstown State 620
Delaware 590
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?84328-OL-FU-s-Best-of-Playoffs-2010&highlight=spreadsheet

I throw YSU out because of Tressel, so my four would be: GSU, UM, ASU, UD

Mountaineer
August 15th, 2011, 11:30 PM
App State, really?

Yeah, really. xrolleyesx

What'd the SoCon join I-AA in 1982 or so? In that time:

29 total SoCon seasons - 27 winning/tied, 2 losing
247-110-1 (.691) overall winning %
164-52-1 (.758) SoCon winning %
18 playoff appearances (only Montana and EKU have more)
10 conference championships
3 national titles

The only FCS team with two two-time winners of the Walter Payton and Buck Buchanan awards (Edwards & Coakley)

One of only two FCS teams with a winner of all three national awards (Montana is the other)

I'm certainly interested in seeing your list of comparable performances where App wouldn't be mentioned favorably as one of the top four in FCS.

So again..yeah, really.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 15th, 2011, 11:30 PM
What's your argument against App and what would your 4 be?

OL FU/Mountaineer's spreadsheet is the most objective look at all-time prestige I've seen.

Georgia Southern 970
Montana 790
Appalachian State 635
Youngstown State 620
Delaware 590
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?84328-OL-FU-s-Best-of-Playoffs-2010&highlight=spreadsheet

I throw YSU out because of Tressel, so my four would be: GSU, UM, ASU, UD

Can you still include Marshall?

I might go GSU, Montana, Marshall and Delaware

Otherwise App State would likely be the 4th. Umass deserves more consideration than some might think....

McNeese75
August 15th, 2011, 11:47 PM
But, it's tainted by Tressel.

Really?????? You can't be serious.

Skjellyfetti
August 16th, 2011, 12:19 AM

Yah.

As coach at Youngstown (Ohio) State in the mid-1990s, he claimed not to know that his star quarterback had received a car and more than $10,000 from a school trustee and his associates -- even though it was later established in court documents that Tressel had told the player to go see the trustee.

But there was a seamy underside to the Penguins' success. In 1988, according to court documents from a jury-tampering trial involving Mickey Monus, a wealthy school trustee and the founder of the Phar-Mor chain of drug stores, Tressel had called Monus about arranging a job for Isaac. The player and the CEO had never met, but Isaac told SI that he had heard of Monus's "philanthropist-type hand" from two basketball players. At his first meeting with Monus, Isaac received $150. According to the court documents, by the time he left Youngstown State, in 1992, Isaac had collected more than $10,000 in cash and checks from Monus and Monus's associates and employees.
In January 1994 the NCAA's director of enforcement sent Cochran an ominous letter. It said that according to an anonymous source, Isaac had been driving a car provided by a local business, which would turn out to be Phar-Mor; 13 Penguins had had jobs with Phar-Mor during the season, in violation of NCAA rules; and nonscholarship student athletes were being illegally paid by the university's director of athletic development.
Over the next month Cochran quizzed football staff members in informal meetings. He believed that if anybody was aware of what was going on in the program, it was Tressel. But Tressel told Cochran that the tipster was just a disgruntled former employee. Given Tressel's sterling reputation, Cochran felt confident relaying a nothing-to-see-here message to the NCAA.
In 1995, Monus was convicted in federal court of 109 felony counts of bank, wire and mail fraud, conspiracy, obstruction of justice and interstate transportation of stolen goods related to his looting of Phar-Mor's corporate coffers. Three years later Monus was on trial for jury tampering in the government's first prosecution of him, which had ended in a hung jury. During this trial (at which Monus was found not guilty) Monus and Isaac, who had pleaded guilty to attempting to bribe a juror on *Monus's behalf, disclosed their financial dealings while Isaac was a student and alleged that Tressel had set these in motion with that first phone call.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/magazine/05/30/jim.tressel/index.html

ValleyChamp
August 16th, 2011, 12:31 AM

Are you serious?...

seantaylor
August 16th, 2011, 12:41 AM
Georgia Southern, Montana, Youngstown State, Delaware

Jackman
August 16th, 2011, 03:55 AM
Just make it a 5-headed monument. Not seeing much argument about the top 5, just the internal order.

Catatonic
August 16th, 2011, 05:13 AM
Ok, so I understand the ground rules do not permit individual coaches. Well and good. But how about at least naming the mountain on which he monument will be built and/or the park in which it will be located after notable coaches? How about Mount Erk (Russel), located at Tubby Raymond Mythical National Park, which is reached via Eddie Robinson Memorial Parkway? These guys are legends, whose fame extends well beyond FCS circles.

GaSouthern
August 16th, 2011, 07:07 AM
YSU, Montana, GSU, App

appfan2008
August 16th, 2011, 07:16 AM
GSU, Montana, ASU, and YSU... UD is a close 5th but that 1 national title holds them back...

Gil Dobie
August 16th, 2011, 07:36 AM
GSU, YSU, Marshall, Montana

Marshall was in 6 NC Games, Montana 7

MR. CHICKEN
August 16th, 2011, 07:45 AM
GSU, Montana, ASU, and YSU... UD is a close 5th but that 1 national title holds them back...

15982....DELAWARE IS 6-1 ALL-TIME...AGIN' DUH 'GUINS.......WE'VE BEEN TA 3 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES.....2000-2010.....AN' IN 'OO....LOST TA GEORGIA SOUTHERN....THE EVENTUAL NATIONAL CHAMP....IN DUH SEMI-FINALS......AN'.....OURAH D-II HISTORY IS LEDGENDARY......xnodx...AWK!

AshevilleApp2
August 16th, 2011, 07:49 AM

Otherwise App State would likely be the 4th. Umass deserves more consideration than some might think....

No question that Marshall deserves some consideration, but they have fewer championships than App. And App has a winning record against Marshall in head to head play.

Gil Dobie
August 16th, 2011, 07:58 AM
No question that Marshall deserves some consideration, but they have fewer championships than App. And App has a winning record against Marshall in head to head play.

For App St, I would put Armanti Edwards on Mt Rushmore as a player who was primarily responsible for App St's 3 Championships. I would like to see more NC appearances to put them on the rock, same with Delaware. App St and Delaware are leading the next group of 4.

boonedocks
August 16th, 2011, 08:05 AM
For App St, I would put Armanti Edwards on Mt Rushmore as a player who was primarily responsible for App St's 3 Championships. I would like to see more NC appearances to put them on the rock, same with Delaware. App St and Delaware are leading the next group of 4.

Except for that National Title when Armanti was still in High School.

msupokes1
August 16th, 2011, 08:18 AM
I would put Montana, Youngstown St., Georgia Southern, App. St.

GannonFan
August 16th, 2011, 08:27 AM
The problem with putting YSU in there is that all of their success was within a very short period of time. They weren't a factor in the '80's, and they haven't really been relevant since Tressel left so you can almost dimiss the '00's as well. They were good in the '90's with Tressel, and really, it was the first half of the '90s (they missed the playoffs entirely in 3 of the last 5 years of that decade). And obviously, there were always rumors even back then that Tressel was shady and that YSU was doing things the wrong way, and with the OSU revelations, a lot of those rumors now start to look like more than rumors. For a program that owes all of their success to one small period of time and to have that one small period of time now asterisked as probably dubious at best, that tends to knock them down a bit.

Gil Dobie
August 16th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Except for that National Title when Armanti was still in High School.

My bad

eiu1999
August 16th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Georgia Southern
Montana
Appalachian State
Youngstown State

Appaholic
August 16th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Georgia Southern
Appalachian State
Montana
......toss up between YSU (more national championships), Delaware (sustained success over a longer period of time) and Charlotte (it's Charlotte by God!)

Marshall doesn't qualify as they are now FBS and look alot like NDSU (must be the inbreeding)....xtroublex

Gil Dobie
August 16th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Georgia Southern
Appalachian State
Montana
......toss up between YSU (more national championships), Delaware (sustained success over a longer period of time) and Charlotte (it's Charlotte by God!)

Marshall doesn't qualify as they are now FBS and look alot like NDSU (must be the inbreeding)....xtroublex

There is a place for NDSU smack, it's called cs.com :(

asumike83
August 16th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Georgia Southern, Appalachian State, Montana and Delaware

Already been covered, but YSU had a very successful, dirty program for a short period of time and have had little success before then or since. Not giving Marshall a vote because, call me crazy, but a team on the FCS Mt. Rushmore should be in the FCS.

Eaglesrus
August 16th, 2011, 10:08 AM
So where can we put an actual FCS version of Mount Rushmore? I'm relatively certain it wouldn't be in Statesboro.

I'll join the Georgia Southern, App State, Montana and Delaware crowd.

StorminASU
August 16th, 2011, 10:14 AM
So where can we put an actual FCS version of Mount Rushmore?

How about Frisco, Tx?

WestCoastAggie
August 16th, 2011, 10:25 AM
What about FAMU? Boise State? Marshall? Troy? Western Kentucky? These teams should be considered.

SpeedkingATL
August 16th, 2011, 10:26 AM
So where can we put an actual FCS version of Mount Rushmore? I'm relatively certain it wouldn't be in Statesboro.

I'll join the Georgia Southern, App State, Montana and Delaware crowd.

I would have said Chatty for the location until the NCAA decided to move it to Frisco thus breaking what could have been a long time tradition. I'll go with App, Griz, GSU (the original FCS GSU from GA) and Delaware.

Bam
August 16th, 2011, 10:27 AM
What about FAMU? Boise State? Marshall? Troy? Western Kentucky? These teams should be considered.

Come on Western KY? Why? 510 wins, 1 NC. Crazy talk!

Appstate03
August 16th, 2011, 10:37 AM

Really, Delaware over Appalachian? What criteria would you use for that argument? The 3-1 advantage App has in NCs. More FCS wins for App? yes Delaware has been to more NCs(4-3) but that is not a valid argument.

Bam
August 16th, 2011, 10:42 AM
On the cfbdatawharehouse website has UD with 653 wins & App St with 547.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/misc/div_iaa_wins.php

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 16th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Really, Delaware over Appalachian? What criteria would you use for that argument? The 3-1 advantage App has in NCs. More FCS wins for App? yes Delaware has been to more NCs(4-3) but that is not a valid argument.

Their overall presence in FCS over the last 30 years. They've had great success, had a legendary coach in Tubby Raymond, ran a unique style of offense, produced great talent, have outstanding fans, plus they're a flagship school.

Mountaineer
August 16th, 2011, 10:49 AM

App didn't start playing football until 1928. Delaware started like in 1889.

In fact, there's only ~35 teams of the current 126 FCS squads that have a football team younger than ASU's.

So that App is ranked in the 20s in FCS wins further makes the claim about being a top program. More wins and a better winning percentage than some programs that have been playing decades longer. xthumbsupx

Apphole
August 16th, 2011, 10:50 AM
UNCC, GaSt, Dylon, Dylon, Dylon

Bam
August 16th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Their overall presence in FCS over the last 30 years. They've had great success, had a legendary coach in Tubby Raymond, ran a unique style of offense, produced great talent, have outstanding fans, plus they're a flagship school.

At that rate, how about EKU (They've had great success-553 wins, had a legendary coach in Roy Kidd, produced great talent, have outstanding fans, plus they're a flagship school) ? I know the recent history, but why not?

asumike83
August 16th, 2011, 10:57 AM

That has to be all-time wins. Correct me if I'm wrong, but UD didn't become a Division I school until 1980. Still put them in my top four though.

superman7515
August 16th, 2011, 10:57 AM

App didn't start playing football until 1928. Delaware started like in 1889.

In fact, there's only ~35 teams of the current 126 FCS squads that have a football team younger than ASU's.

So that App is ranked in the 20s in FCS wins further makes the claim about being a top program. More wins and a better winning percentage than some programs that have been playing decades longer. xthumbsupx

If it's an FCS Mount Rushmore, it should be limited to FCS records. Not picking sides, I didn't even name 4 teams anywhere in here, but what UD did in D2 shouldn't count just like all those NAIA wins shouldn't count for AppState in this.

straightshooter
August 16th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Since the first 1-AA and now FCS National Championship was held in 1978, shouldn't we be only considering performance from 1978 through today? The initial question was specifically about FCS (1-AA), so all that prior history really doesn't matter as far as the topic of this thread is concerned.

GannonFan
August 16th, 2011, 11:06 AM
That has to be all-time wins. Correct me if I'm wrong, but UD didn't become a Division I school until 1980. Still put them in my top four though.

Can of worms there. UD has always played at the current level, meaning that they've always played at the next level down from the highest level of football. Before there were number divisions, there were University (Major College) and College (Small College) divisions - UD played in the College Division. With the advent of numbered divisions in 1973, the top level was D1 and the next level down was DII - UD played in the DII division. With the advent of I-AA in 1978, UD joined that in 1980 (so those are the only two years when UD didn't play at the current level they are now, although one could certainly argue that I-AA wasn't fully formed until about 1982 when the quantity of teams in it more closely resembled what we see today - only a handful of teams had moved to I-AA in '78 or '79, hence the really small playoff system then). Then obviously there was another name change in 2007 or so when we went from I-AA to FCS. Just a lot of name changes, but UD's always been at this level, regardless of what it was called.

Skjellyfetti
August 16th, 2011, 12:02 PM
For App St, I would put Armanti Edwards on Mt Rushmore as a player who was primarily responsible for App St's 3 Championships.

Armanti was primarily responsible for App State's 3 Championships? One of the biggest myths in I-AA/FCS football. xlolx

You know he was a senior in high school in 2005, right?

Appaholic
August 16th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Armanti was primarily responsible for App State's 3 Championships? One of the biggest myths in I-AA/FCS football. xlolx

Agree. I give more credit to Corey Lynch & Kevin Richardson and that entire class. Hate to say it, but ASU's run at the top was due to one great recruiting class. That's why I'm more impressed with GaSouth's 6 titles (back-to-back on 3 different occassions with 2-3 different coaches?) Man, that really hurt to say.....xbawlingx

asumike83
August 16th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Agree. I give more credit to Corey Lynch & Kevin Richardson and that entire class. Hate to say it, but ASU's run at the top was due to one great recruiting class. That's why I'm more impressed with GaSouth's 6 titles (back-to-back on 3 different occassions with 2-3 different coaches?) Man, that really hurt to say.....xbawlingx

You don't really think we win the titles in '06-'07 with Trey Elder at QB do you?

There are a ton of great players who contributed to our run to the top and the class with Lynch, Richardson, Dexter Jackson, etc. was our best class ever, but there is no way we win more than 1 if AE isn't running the offense. He almost single-handedly beat Richmond in the National Semifinals in 2007.

WUTNDITWAA
August 16th, 2011, 01:02 PM
I didn't have the time to check my math, so someone out there can feel free to go behind me, but here are the I-AA/FCS records of the five teams in question.

Appalachian State (1982)
Record: 247-110-1 .692
Championships: 2005, 2006, 2007

Delaware (1980)
Record: 255-123-1 .675
Championships: 2003

Georgia Southern (1984)
Record: 253-96 .725
Championships: 1985, 1986, 1989, 1990, 1999, 2000

Marshall (1982-1996)
Record: 132-60-2 .688
Championships: 1992, 1996

Montana (1978)
Record: 283-126-1 .692
Championships: 1995, 2001

Youngstown (1981)
Record: 227-135-1 .627
Championships: 1991, 1993, 1994, 1997

* Edited to add Marshall

Apphole
August 16th, 2011, 01:03 PM

Being a walkon, Lynch isn't really a member of that recruiting class. I see your point though. I'd say Jerry Moore would be our face.

Gil Dobie
August 16th, 2011, 01:06 PM

You obviously missed my post where I said I was wrong.

App St still would not be on my Mt Rushmore with GSU, Montana, YSU and Marshall. All have 6 or more NC appearances.

WUTNDITWAA
August 16th, 2011, 01:09 PM
I restate my case for Georgia Southern, Montana, Appalachian. In regards to Delaware or Youngstown State, one must weigh which is more important, championships or all-time record. Since FCS prides itself on settling championships on the field, I have to side with championships, which, I say, gives Youngstown the fourth spot.

Saint3333
August 16th, 2011, 01:13 PM
FCS is a hybrid and a step up from Small College Division

I'd only include accomplishments at the FCS Subdivision in the FCS Rushmore obviously.

I understand the argument somewhat of UD over YSU, but not over ASU.

WUTNDITWAA
August 16th, 2011, 01:16 PM

App St still would not be on my Mt Rushmore with GSU, Montana, YSU and Marshall. All have 6 or more NC appearances.

Marshall (1982-1996)
Record: 132-60-2 .688
Championships: 1992, 1996

Bam
August 16th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Hell Marshall never had to leave there own dump (i.e-Huntington, WV) to win there titles.

gsu1moretime
August 16th, 2011, 01:31 PM
so what is this? the stone mountain of college football? Just want to bring in citdog for some comments.
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=stone+mountain&um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbnid=3Y99mKP9oHKimM:&imgrefurl=http://www.sonshinetours.com/stone-mountain-park/stone_mountain/&docid=9TtFPoAMtyeGLM&w=640&h=480&ei=fbdKTpCaGo6Ctgf-1rWqCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=295&vpy=117&dur=1695&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=135&ty=116&page=1&tbnh=114&tbnw=152&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0&biw=1024&bih=552

asumike83
August 16th, 2011, 01:44 PM

Appearances are great, but championships are what counts. Trust me, I'm a Braves fan.

GannonFan
August 16th, 2011, 01:53 PM
FCS is a hybrid and a step up from Small College Division

Eh, that's arguable, obviously. Heck, UD was ranked in the final AP poll in 1946 as #19 in the nation despite just being a Small College Division team. Unless you saw football during that era, it's hard to make the argument that FCS is a step up from that level. To me, it's just a name change.

Saint3333
August 16th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Eh, that's arguable, obviously. Heck, UD was ranked in the final AP poll in 1946 as #19 in the nation despite just being a Small College Division team. Unless you saw football during that era, it's hard to make the argument that FCS is a step up from that level. To me, it's just a name change.

How old are you? If it's hard to argue one way, logically it would be just as difficult to argue the other way. Let's try and leave 1946 out of this debate as anyone that can remember those games probably has trouble remembering what they had for breakfast.

GannonFan
August 16th, 2011, 02:24 PM
How old are you? If it's hard to argue one way, logically it would be just as difficult to argue the other way. Let's try and leave 1946 out of this debate as anyone that can remember those games probably has trouble remembering what they had for breakfast.

I only brought up the 1946 example as a way to show that contemporaries of that era who actually did watch football of that era didn't make the distinction that you seem to be making now, looking back decades, regarding the level of football that was represented by the College Division of football. I clearly didn't get a chance to appreciate UD's national title team in '46.

Appaholic
August 16th, 2011, 02:42 PM
You don't really think we win the titles in '06-'07 with Trey Elder at QB do you?

There are a ton of great players who contributed to our run to the top and the class with Lynch, Richardson, Dexter Jackson, etc. was our best class ever, but there is no way we win more than 1 if AE isn't running the offense. He almost single-handedly beat Richmond in the National Semifinals in 2007.

Maybe not, but we obviously could have won them with Ritchie Williams. But don't get me wrong as this is not a slight towards Armanti...I love the guy and feel privileged to have witnessed the game against UR. I was just addressing a common misconception that he was the only reason we won back-to-back. If that was the case, we/he would have one 4 in a row....

Appaholic
August 16th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Being a walkon, Lynch isn't really a member of that recruiting class. I see your point though. I'd say Jerry Moore would be our face.

Really? I did not know he was a walk-on. Alrighty....

SpiritCymbal
August 16th, 2011, 02:45 PM
The Presidents on Mt. Rushmore aren't simply the "4 best presidents". If that were the case, then this vote would be easy b/c all you would need to do is include the schools that have the most championships. But the 4 presidents on Mt. Rushmore are the ones that had the most significant impact on our country. With that in mind, I will vote for...

Ga. Southern - due to most championships, winning %, playoff winning %
Montana - due to most consistent since 1978, playoff appearances, winning %
Appalachian St. - due to recent contention and arguably the most significant 1-aa win ever with their victory over Michigan
Delaware - due to consistent contender, winning %, playoff appearances

I would note that Marshall would normally be my choice over Delaware due to championships, playoff performance and appearances. I left them off include them because of the NCAA infractions that they were hit with. To me, it doesn't matter if they ran a clean program up until 1996 (which I don't believe they did), the impact on the image of 1-aa football was affected negatively and takes them off the list.

Gil Dobie
August 16th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Appearances are great, but championships are what counts. Trust me, I'm a Braves fan.

I have no problem with App St being mentioned in the top 4, just have the opinion that Marshall belongs.

Saint3333
August 16th, 2011, 03:07 PM
ASU owned Marshall during their FCS years 14-7.

ekufbfan
August 16th, 2011, 03:11 PM

Are you kidding me, Western Ky? They won ONE NC. IF and I say IF you are going to consider wku, you better be putting EKU before them. 2 NC's. 4 appearances in the NC games and more appearances in the playoffs than any other IAA/FCS team other than Montana. Now I know we have not set the world on fire recently, BUT western is not even in FCS anymore and even if they were it is highly UNLIKELY that they would have matched EKU's record. Sorry, Murray State helmet guy, you totally missed this one!xrolleyesx

Gil Dobie
August 16th, 2011, 03:39 PM

Montana St beat EWU last year, but EWU had more playoff wins.

biggie
August 16th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Really? I did not know he was a walk-on. Alrighty....
Didn't think Lynch was a walkon at all. A 4 year starter for walkon would be impressive.

But also a lot of walkons are still recruited to come try as a walkon and try to earn a spot.

Found this, apparently Scholly from day one:
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=65288

"He has been a college stand out from the day he turned down a walk-on invitation from University of Florida, for a full ride scholarship to Appalachian State."

msupokes1
August 16th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I think EKU should get some consideration. They were in 4 of the first 5 national championships with 2 national titles. They also have made the playoffs more than any other team besides Montana. It doesnt matter that it was a long time ago. George Washington was in office along time before Rushmore was built and he still made it.

AppMan
August 16th, 2011, 09:57 PM

While the overall record may be heavily in ASU's favor Marshall won two NC's and appeared in three additional NC games during that period, compared to zero for the Mountaineers. Hate to say it, but most of those W's were collected during the early years when Marshall had arguably the worst D-1 program in America. Of course it was ASU who "gave" Marshall their first ever SoCon win.

MR. CHICKEN
August 16th, 2011, 10:33 PM
15989....DID AH FAIL TA MENTION.........DUH HENS....R.....6-1......AGIN'..DUH 'GUINS??........DOODLE-DOO!

clenz
August 16th, 2011, 11:22 PM
I'd love to be able to make a case for UNI...BUT....Without a NC I can't.

15 MVFC titles in 25 years, 18 conference titles in 29 years since moving to D1. That conference title % has to be near the top. One of the top win% over that time, multiple quater and semi appearances, a NC appearance....but no title to show for it.

It really is depressing to look at all the success that is UNI football and not see a national title.

AshevilleApp2
August 17th, 2011, 06:46 AM

2006 no. 2007 yes. Elder played well enough that season to win a championship.

Bam
August 17th, 2011, 07:13 AM
I think EKU should get some consideration. They were in 4 of the first 5 national championships with 2 national titles. They also have made the playoffs more than any other team besides Montana. It doesnt matter that it was a long time ago. George Washington was in office along time before Rushmore was built and he still made it.

Hell yea!!! msupokes1 speaks the truth!

asumike83
August 17th, 2011, 07:57 AM
2006 no. 2007 yes. Elder played well enough that season to win a championship.

I respectfully disagree on that one. Elder played well while Armanti was banged up, but we don't win that championship without AE. We gave up 35 points to Richmond in the National Semifinals but were able to win because Armanti ran for 313 yards and 4 TDs, to go along with 182 yards in the air and 3 more TDs. I just don't see how we win that game with any QB other than him.

Apphole
August 17th, 2011, 08:12 AM
I respectfully disagree on that one. Elder played well while Armanti was banged up, but we don't win that championship without AE. We gave up 35 points to Richmond in the National Semifinals but were able to win because Armanti ran for 313 yards and 4 TDs, to go along with 182 yards in the air and 3 more TDs. I just don't see how we win that game with any QB other than him.
Deandre

appfan2008
August 17th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Would have been a different game with elder in there for sure but I still think we would have won at least one title out of 06 and 07 with elder...

Apphole
August 17th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Well, DeAndre was still in High School when that game was played. He is a great QB now and I love watching him, but he's still not quite on Armanti's level.

Well yeah of course. I was just saying that, hypothetically, he could have led the 06 and 07 teams to championships.

asumike83
August 17th, 2011, 09:01 AM
I like Trey Elder's game, he did step in the National Semifinals against Furman in '05 and played a huge role in us making our first trip to Chattanooga. However, I just don't think he had the talent to be in there every week as the starting QB and lead a team to the title. There were many times that Armanti and Richie just took a game over when they needed to; Trey had the talent to play within himself in our system, but I don't think he had that extra gear. It's not often that a coach will start a true freshman just one game into his college career over an experienced senior, and there was certainly a reason for it.

asumike83
August 17th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Well yeah of course. I was just saying that, hypothetically, he could have led the 06 and 07 teams to championships.

Yeah, I figured you were speaking hypothetically and deleted that post. I agree, DP probably could have done the job. The teams probably wouldn't have been as dominant and I doubt he could have done it as a Freshman/Sophomore like Armanti did, but if you put that team around DeAndre right now I think we've got a championship caliber squad.

URMite
August 17th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Would you guys stop reminding me about the '07 game? xbawlingx

Our spy/bandit and the DE now with Atlanta were both out injured. Which kept that from being an interesting game in 4th Qtr. With a possibility of it being as good as our Delaware game that year.

The freshman replacement DE was a great player but was designed to stop pocket passers, not AE.

darell1976
August 17th, 2011, 10:20 AM

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlmaoxxlmaox

asumike83
August 17th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Would you guys stop reminding me about the '07 game? xbawlingx

Our spy/bandit and the DE now with Atlanta were both out injured. Which kept that from being an interesting game in 4th Qtr. With a possibility of it being as good as our Delaware game that year.

The freshman replacement DE was a great player but was designed to stop pocket passers, not AE.

Well, revenge was exacted 12 months later! With the Richmond D being banged up in '07 and Armanti being banged up in '08, neither game was as good as it should have been but that's just how it goes. The '09 game was a classic though, I was glad I made the trip to Richmond for that one.

OL FU
August 17th, 2011, 11:05 AM

I agree although I do think the Penguin should have a black eye considering what we now know about Tressel.:D

OL FU
August 17th, 2011, 11:07 AM

You put MArshall on there and my dynamite comes out to blow the thing up. Question, is there proof that Tressel cheated at YSU or are we just connecting the dots. We know Marshall cheated to win, there is no question about them

OL FU
August 17th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Yah.

OK, take YSU down and put UD up, but they need to be a few inches lower than the other three
xlolx

Appaholic
August 17th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I'd love to be able to make a case for UNI...BUT....Without a NC I can't.

correct

AshevilleApp2
August 17th, 2011, 02:31 PM

Yes we have to disagree.

AshevilleApp2
August 17th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Didn't think Lynch was a walkon at all. A 4 year starter for walkon would be impressive.

But also a lot of walkons are still recruited to come try as a walkon and try to earn a spot.

Found this, apparently Scholly from day one:
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=65288

"He has been a college stand out from the day he turned down a walk-on invitation from University of Florida, for a full ride scholarship to Appalachian State."

I may be wrong, but I think it was Kevin Richardson who was the walk on.

biggie
August 17th, 2011, 03:02 PM
I may be wrong, but I think it was Kevin Richardson who was the walk on.
Yes, KR was definately a walkon.

Gil Dobie
August 23rd, 2011, 07:36 AM
The 4 playoff teams from last year with the most all-time wins in and out of I-AA:
Delaware 653
Lehigh 641
NDSU 614
UNI 614

Eaglesrus
August 23rd, 2011, 08:23 AM
The 4 playoff teams from last year with the most all-time wins in and out of I-AA:
Delaware 653
Lehigh 641
NDSU 614
UNI 614

We obviously wouldn't be on that list as I doubt we've played that many games, let alone won that many, even if you include those pre-WWII. I'd look it up, but can't access our athletics site at work.

darell1976
August 23rd, 2011, 08:32 AM
The teams with most non-DII, DIII or NAIA wins

Yale 863
Harvard 811
Penn 808
Princeton 789

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_winningest_college_football_teams

Gil Dobie
August 23rd, 2011, 08:35 AM
We obviously wouldn't be on that list as I doubt we've played that many games, let alone won that many, even if you include those pre-WWII. I'd look it up, but can't access our athletics site at work.

GSU is listed at 329 wins #9 in winning perctage at .634

Top all-time winning pct for last years playoff teams.
App St .635
GSU .634
NDSU .624
South Carolina St .621

darell1976
August 23rd, 2011, 08:53 AM

App St .635
GSU .634
NDSU .624
South Carolina St .621

NDSU is #31 in winning pct. if you include all NCAA football teams with over 550 wins....(UND is tied with Central Oklahoma at #33 with a .622)

clenz
August 23rd, 2011, 12:33 PM

App St .635
GSU .634
NDSU .624
South Carolina St .621

Now...take your d2 games out of there. This is big boy football now.

To try to claim NDSU belongs at the top of the FCS is a joke.

henfan
August 23rd, 2011, 01:59 PM
Since you can't carve school faces into a rock, I'll opt for those coaches instead. The faces that belong on the rock are Eddie Robinson, Roy Kidd, Tubby Raymond and... nope, not that cheater Sweater Vest... but Jerry Moore.

Appaholic
August 23rd, 2011, 02:03 PM
Since you can't carve school faces into a rock, I'll opt for those coaches instead. The faces that belong on the rock are Eddie Robinson, Roy Kidd, Tubby Raymond and... nope, not that cheater Sweater Vest... but Jerry Moore.

No Erk? No Bobby "go for 2" Lamb?

appfan2008
August 23rd, 2011, 02:16 PM
Erk... Jerry... Kidd... Robbinson...

HensRock
August 23rd, 2011, 03:32 PM
Coaches:
Eddie Robinson
Tubby Raymond
Roy Kidd
Erk Russell

And I'll add 1 to those thinking EKU deserves more consideration due to their role in the formative years of I-AA.

JaxStateDSM93
August 23rd, 2011, 03:38 PM
Jacksonville State has the highest winning percentage in the OVC, AND in the FCS since 2003. Not a 'storied history' like some of the other schools, but still worthy.

eaglemachine
August 23rd, 2011, 03:40 PM

App St .635
GSU .634
NDSU .624
South Carolina St .621

GSU's is .718 all time according to this site with a .835 home record.
http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/teams-stadiums-directory/southern-conference/georgia-southern-eagles-paulson-stadium/

Mountaineer
August 23rd, 2011, 03:56 PM
Jacksonville State has the highest winning percentage in the OVC, AND in the FCS since 2003. Not a 'storied history' like some of the other schools, but still worthy.

Not sure where you're getting your numbers from, at least for FCS anyway. Just a quick comparison between Jax and App:

Jax State since 03: 60-30 (.667)
App since 03: 92-28 (.767)

I'd wager Montana and a few other schools would take issue with your claim as well. :)

Twentysix
August 23rd, 2011, 03:58 PM
App DQ'd themselves from this monument when they announced intent to go FBS.

GSU Montana YSU and Walter Payton.

Gil Dobie
August 23rd, 2011, 04:00 PM
GSU's is .718 all time according to this site with a .835 home record.
http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/teams-stadiums-directory/southern-conference/georgia-southern-eagles-paulson-stadium/

Site also only has 266 of the 329 GSU wins, so it might be only for a certain period.

JaxStateDSM93
August 23rd, 2011, 04:03 PM
Not sure where you're getting your numbers from, at least for FCS anyway. Just a quick comparison between Jax and App:

Jax State since 03: 60-30 (.667)
App since 03: 92-28 (.767)

I'd wager Montana and a few other schools would take issue with your claim as well. :)

Would take it up with whomever wrote this article, for the school.

http://www.jsugamecocksports.com/news/2011/8/22/FB_0822114453.aspx

Twentysix
August 23rd, 2011, 04:07 PM

You read it incorrectly.

The Gamecocks have won 76.6 percent of their conference games ((48-15))

Not the 90ish a team would normally play in 8 seasons w/o playoffs.

Which is the highest of any team in a conference.

Meaning Montana's record in Bigsky games only.

Apps record in Socon games only. etc.

I dont know if this information is correct, but... Thats how it reads to me.

Mountaineer
August 23rd, 2011, 04:10 PM

That's conference winning percentage and it's still not correct. xlolx

Since 2003 ASU is 51-9 (.850) in the SoCon.

I guess whatever Jax State's gotta do, eh? xthumbsupx

Twentysix
August 23rd, 2011, 04:22 PM
That's conference winning percentage and it's still not correct. xlolx

Since 2003 ASU is 51-9 (.850) in the SoCon.

I guess whatever Jax State's gotta do, eh? xthumbsupx

By all of the FCS they meant all of the FCS that doesnt have a higher winning percentage. :D

Mountaineer
August 23rd, 2011, 04:32 PM
By all of the FCS they meant all of the FCS that doesnt have a higher winning percentage. :D

That must be it. xlolx

CrunchGriz
August 23rd, 2011, 04:54 PM
Interesting. From 2003 through 2010, Montana had exactly the same record in-conference as ASU: 51-9. UM was 87-21 over this period overall (80.6% winning percentage).

ekufbfan
August 23rd, 2011, 09:00 PM

Not disputing what you are saying, BUT would like to know where you found this info???
And while if this is indeed THE facts, why are we starting with 2003? Why not 2005 or 06, or maybe 1994 or 98, 1982 or 1986 or go back to 1979 when IAA/FCS was established???? Just saying, you pick your year(s) to make your argument. Just so you know, EKU has won MORE football games than ANYONE in the OVC and that includes JSU xtwocentsx. Yeah, my two cents for what it's worth.:)

And there is NO way you don't put Roy Kidd on the Mt Rushmmore of college coaches! (Wish he were leading the Colonels still!)

Eagle_77
August 23rd, 2011, 09:12 PM
The faces of my FCS are GSU, Montana, App st., and Delaware!

eaglemachine
August 24th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Site also only has 266 of the 329 GSU wins, so it might be only for a certain period.

329 must be counting the pre WWII teams (1924-1941) not just the modern era (Erk to present)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Southern_Eagles_football

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_winningest_college_football_teams

http://collegefootball.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=collegefootball&cdn=sports&tm=11&f=11&tt=14&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/

appfan2008
August 24th, 2011, 07:35 AM
The faces of my FCS are GSU, Montana, App st., and Delaware!

I agree!

pike51
August 24th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Isn't it obvious? Everyone here is wrong! There should be only 1 school and it should be Georgia State (for obvious reasons). If you want to put something next to it then perhaps you should put a carving of "the dome"!! They could erect it in the major media market of downtown Atlanta and allow the homeless to sleep there at night.

Twentysix
July 15th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Has NDSU earned a spot yet?

Lehigh'98
July 15th, 2013, 11:15 PM
I would say 1-2 more NC's and NDSU is on it. Right now, I'd have to say 1. GSU 2. YSU 3. Montana 4a. Marshall 4b. Delaware 4c. App. Last one is a toss up, but I'd lean Marshall. Players I'd have to say Jerry Rice, Moss, Armanti Edwards & Flacco.

Lehigh'98
July 15th, 2013, 11:17 PM
Rivalries: Lehigh - Laf (obviously), Harvard - Yale, YSU - Marshall, Georgia Southern - App............ Montana - MSU also

Bisonoline
July 15th, 2013, 11:22 PM
Yah.

His knowledge of him going to see the trustee is completely different than him having knowledge of a payoff.

Bisonoline
July 15th, 2013, 11:23 PM

Not yet. We dont have much history in this division.

walliver
July 16th, 2013, 08:33 AM
It's good that this is a virtual mountain.

Otherwise engineers would have to get out the dynamite to remove ASU and GSU from the mountain, not an easy task to accomplish without disturbing the remaining sculpture.

blueballs
July 16th, 2013, 09:57 AM
I would say 1-2 more NC's and NDSU is on it. Right now, I'd have to say 1. GSU 2. YSU 3. Montana 4a. Marshall 4b. Delaware 4c. App. Last one is a toss up, but I'd lean Marshall. Players I'd have to say Jerry Rice, Moss, Armanti Edwards & Flacco.

No Adrian Peterson??????????????

Bisonator
July 16th, 2013, 10:07 AM

No.

My 4 would be Georgia Southern, Montana, Delaware and Appy.

Marshall moved out. Just can't put YSU up there with the Tressel cloud over them.

AmsterBison
July 16th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Georgia Southern, Montana, Youngstown State, and Delaware.

I like having one team per conference and don't want two ex-FCS teams on the mountain.

BTW, when I look at a program for something like this, I don't expect to see many first-round playoff losses. Georgia Southern: 2 first-round playoff losses in 19 appearances <-- that right there, just as much as their huge number of championships, tells me that the Eagles are the FCS gold standard.

ChopperTN
July 16th, 2013, 10:15 AM
No Adrian Peterson??????????????

Which 2 do you leave off to put AP on there? The reason I ask is because there is one omission that is more glaring and he is Jackson St.'s Walter Payton.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 16th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Which 2 do you leave off to put AP on there? The reason I ask is because there is one omission that is more glaring and he is Jackson St.'s Walter Payton.

Jackson St. was still Divsion II when Payton was there.

Bisonator
July 16th, 2013, 10:20 AM

Payton was a D2 player.

ChopperTN
July 16th, 2013, 10:21 AM
OK my bad

Bisonator
July 16th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Jackson St. was still Divsion II when Payton was there.

Too fast! :)

NoDak 4 Ever
July 16th, 2013, 10:23 AM
OK my bad

Easy mistake. Tons of transition in the 70's. In fact, Jax St. went from NAIA to D IAA in about 4 years.

andy7171
July 16th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Youngstown State, Georia Southern, Marshall, App State

Southern Bison
July 16th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Georgia Southern, Appalachian State, Montana and Delaware

Already been covered, but YSU had a very successful, dirty program for a short period of time and have had little success before then or since. Not giving Marshall a vote because, call me crazy, but a team on the FCS Mt. Rushmore should be in the FCS.

Does this mean that GaSo & App would be removed from the FCS Mt. Rushmore in 1 year and replaced?

Vitojr130
July 16th, 2013, 10:58 AM

I second the Marshall inclusion.

My four would be:
GSU
Montana
Marshall
YSU

GlassOnion
July 16th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Does this mean that GaSo & App would be removed from the FCS Mt. Rushmore in 1 year and replaced?

So much for the saying "etched in stone."

CID1990
July 16th, 2013, 11:02 AM
GSU, YSU, Marshall, Montana

Marshall was in 6 NC Games, Montana 7

This would also be my pick. (As much as it pains me to give props to the thundering turds)

kdinva
July 16th, 2013, 11:13 AM
UT-C...................................

NoDak 4 Ever
July 16th, 2013, 11:15 AM
UT-C...................................

x4

IBleedYellow
July 16th, 2013, 11:33 AM
GSU will have to stay up there as long as someone else doesn't get more Natty's than them. Only THEN do they get pulled down, even though they are FBS now (IE: They're the exception.)

App State doesn't deserve to be up there due to them going FBS, plus I prefer one per conference as well.

Montana has had a long tradition of winning, so OFC they get to shine.

YSU also has 3, so welcome YSU to the top. (I'd hope NDSU could pass them, but we'd have to get 2 more...)'

Last would be Delaware.

OL FU
July 16th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Screw Marshall.

ASU has three. Marshall has two and none without cheating.

BisonBacker
July 16th, 2013, 02:28 PM
YSU under Tressel ruins it for me.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 16th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Screw Marshall.

ASU has three. Marshall has two and none without cheating.

YSU under Tressel ruins it for me.

Yep, how many does YSU have without cheating?

bojeta
July 16th, 2013, 02:30 PM

Yep... Several close 5th places, but that's the 4

Laker
July 16th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Team Titles
Georgia Southern† 6
Youngstown State 4
Appalachian State† 3
Eastern Kentucky 2
Marshall^ 2
Montana 2
North Dakota State 2
Boise State^ 1
Delaware 1
Eastern Washington 1
Florida A&M 1
Furman 1
Idaho State 1
James Madison 1
Northeast Louisiana^ 1
Massachusetts^ 1
Montana State 1
Richmond 1
Southern Illinois 1
Villanova 1
Western Kentucky^ 1

Above is the list of FCS-D1AA-true playoff champions. In red are the teams who have gone or will be going to FBS. There are four teams that will remain in FCS that have more than one championship.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 16th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Georgia Southern, Montana, Marshall and Delaware

Honorable Mention - App State, YSU and EKU

blueballs
July 16th, 2013, 03:04 PM

Flacco for starters. His COLLEGE career was nowhere near what Peterson's was, neither was Moss or Rice. Steve McNair has to be up there too.

Go back and look at Peterson's numbers, his NCAA records, and what GSU accomplished during his tenure. There is no possible way he's not in the very short list of greatest 1-AA/FCS players ever.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 16th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Flacco for starters. His COLLEGE career was nowhere near what Peterson's was, neither was Moss or Rice. Steve McNair has to be up there too.

Go back and look at Peterson's numbers, his NCAA records, and what GSU accomplished during his tenure. There is no possible way he's not in the very short list of greatest 1-AA/FCS players ever.

Gordi Lockbaum, Peterson, Moss and Westbrook would probably be on my player Rushmore.

dewey
July 16th, 2013, 06:04 PM
I would say the following;

Georgia Southern
Appy State
Montana
Youngstown State

Possibly;
Marshall

I think if NDSU wins another title and makes the playoffs for let's day 7 of the next 10 years.

Dewey

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 16th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Georgia Southern
Youngstown State
Montana
App State

Hon Mention: Marshall, EKU

** Give NDSU a few more years and they will be right along side those others **

Grizo406
July 16th, 2013, 07:20 PM
As long as Montana and Georgia Southern are included, I really don't care who else is. But, I would like to see Appalachian State there! Their fan base is awesome, and that should count for something, right?!!?

I also wouldn't mind seeing NDSU added.

Lehigh'98
July 16th, 2013, 07:33 PM

Good call with McNair, completely forgot him. I'm not familiar enough with with AP, but ill take your word.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 16th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Good call with McNair, completely forgot him. I'm not familiar enough with with AP, but ill take your word.

McNair absolutely deserves to be on it. I'm not sure how i missed him...

McNair, Lockbaum and Peterson would definitely be my top three. The 4th would come down to Moss and Brian Westbrook.

Cocky
July 16th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Boise has to be on it, they are the poster child for leaving FCS.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 16th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Boise has to be on it, they are the poster child for leaving FCS.

What? I don't see how that has anything to do with FCS. Much like I never understand how people include NFL success with how a player should be retroactively seen as a college player.

No way Boise measures up and on a separate note I couldn't see Marshall anywhere near it either.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 16th, 2013, 10:51 PM

AP was an absolute animal. You very rarely see a talent like him at this level in that position. There is a reason you only need to say "The Run" and anybody that knows anything about this level knows exactly what you are talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02t-qgwhmm8

Now you know.

Bogus Megapardus
July 16th, 2013, 11:36 PM
What's the time frame? It is current FCS schools in consideration of the school's entire history? Or is it current FCS schools given their history since December 2006 (when FCS was created from the former Division 1-AA)?

If it is the former (as it should be) then Princeton is the runaway champion - the Lincoln Memorial of FCS teams - and there isn't a close second. If it's the latter you have to look at App State, Montana and NDSU.

eaglewraith
July 16th, 2013, 11:56 PM
AP was an absolute animal. You very rarely see a talent like him at this level in that position. There is a reason you only need to say "The Run" and anybody that knows anything about this level knows exactly what you are talking about.

Now you know.

Excuse the quality on this as it's hard to find a good version of it, but I'd be surprised if you didn't have nightmares about this one ursus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZnzHhcvLd0

The legend goes that after Montana took the lead, AP looked at his OL and told them to just make him a hole. Montana led for about 50 seconds I think.

One thing that really sucks is AP's playoff stats are not counted in his career numbers. So technically the things he did in the playoffs like the 333 yards rushing against UMass never happened according to NCAA stats. If his playoff numbers were included, he'd have well over 9,000 yards rushing and would be the NCAA all time leading rusher (at least D1, but I think the whole NCAA).

seantaylor
July 17th, 2013, 12:22 AM
AP s the best player in FCS history. Leading rusher in D1, and second is not even close.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 17th, 2013, 01:05 AM
Excuse the quality on this as it's hard to find a good version of it, but I'd be surprised if you didn't have nightmares about this one ursus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZnzHhcvLd0

The legend goes that after Montana took the lead, AP looked at his OL and told them to just make him a hole. Montana led for about 50 seconds I think.

One thing that really sucks is AP's playoff stats are not counted in his career numbers. So technically the things he did in the playoffs like the 333 yards rushing against UMass never happened according to NCAA stats. If his playoff numbers were included, he'd have well over 9,000 yards rushing and would be the NCAA all time leading rusher (at least D1, but I think the whole NCAA).
I was there and that was a back breaker due to coming back from the deficit, losing our starting QB, and still regaining the lead just to be taken away by the beast.

It was still a glorious game in spite of dropping that heavy weight battle. The rain was simply amazing and I felt like Forrest Gump did in that almost seemed to be coming from everywhere. xlolx

On the playoff stats thing I couldn't agree more. Dave Dickenson would have even more enormous numbers if playoff stats were counted. In the 1995 run he had better numbers in 4 playoff games than most of the FCS QB's had in the entire season.xthumbsupx

Lehigh'98
July 17th, 2013, 01:15 AM

Now you know.

Silly of me, I think my team was a few yards against UMass from playing against him in 1998 playoffs. I kinda shut down watching football closely for a few years after that. I do remember that run as I watched all of YSUs games back then as that was my hometown.

parr90
July 17th, 2013, 08:20 AM

FAMU? Not close. Boise-didn't really have that much success in FCS, their success has been in FBS. WK-they won 1 NC I think, but nothing that special consistently. Marshall-I would say that they have an argument in all of this.

parr90
July 17th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Yall can throw wins out because some schools have been playing longer than others. Its all about the impact and championships. 1AA has only been around since the 70's correct? Since that time it would have to be 1. GSU first no doubt. The others would be Montana, App, Marshall, YSU, Delaware, as far as championships and playoff appearances. NDST if they continue to do what they have done in the next 10 years or so they would be there as well.

No_Skill
July 17th, 2013, 08:49 AM

Now you know.

He didn't even score...weak...

:)

eaglewraith
July 17th, 2013, 09:38 AM
He didn't even score...weak...

:)

Nope.

But he did on the next run :)

cmaxwellgsu
July 17th, 2013, 09:39 AM
I was there and that was a back breaker due to coming back from the deficit, losing our starting QB, and still regaining the lead just to be taken away by the beast.

It was still a glorious game in spite of dropping that heavy weight battle. The rain was simply amazing and I felt like Forrest Gump did in that almost seemed to be coming from everywhere. xlolx

On the playoff stats thing I couldn't agree more. Dave Dickenson would have even more enormous numbers if playoff stats were counted. In the 1995 run he had better numbers in 4 playoff games than most of the FCS QB's had in the entire season.xthumbsupx

That game is still the greatest football game I've ever seen. I remember being in the stands with a sinking feeling in my gut when the Griz took the lead after we had it all game long. Then AP pulled that out the first play from scrimmage.

That whole weekend gave me the utmost respect for Montana as well. From having beers with Grizzly folks all weekend to that whale of a second half, it turned out to be the perfect football weekend!

ursus arctos horribilis
July 17th, 2013, 11:24 AM
That game is still the greatest football game I've ever seen. I remember being in the stands with a sinking feeling in my gut when the Griz took the lead after we had it all game long. Then AP pulled that out the first play from scrimmage.

That whole weekend gave me the utmost respect for Montana as well. From having beers with Grizzly folks all weekend to that whale of a second half, it turned out to be the perfect football weekend!

The game had everything and it was just a couple points short of being perfect for me as well. xlolx