PDA

View Full Version : An Interview with SHSU Head Coach Willie Fritz

TexasTerror
August 13th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Lots of good questions asked by KatFans.com in this 'exclusive' interview with Willie Fritz, head coach of the Bearkat football team... wanted to at least post this one question...

Richmond, Montana, etc. are always on top of the FCS year in and year out. What do you think they do that makes them top programs every year?

Coach Fritz: It all starts off with recruiting, and I've gotten beat very seldom by being out coached. Recruiting is very important at all levels, normally the team with the better players has a better chance of winning. I feel like we have really upped our recruiting from what its been in the past and that's the big thing. Tradition is also big, you combine those two and that's the package we wanna have here.

http://katfans.com/forum2/index.php?topic=2793.0;topicseen

crossfire07
August 13th, 2011, 02:15 PM
"Last year our defensive backs had some tough times. How are they progressing this camp and with their experience from last year do you think we can limit the big plays?

Coach Fritz: The thing that's going to happen with our defensive philosophy is we're gonna crowd the box and do everything we can to not allow you to run the football. Our big goal on the offensive side is to throw the ball more effectively and on the defensive side is to play a lot better pass defense. Other teams are gonna have to throw the ball against us because of how many people we put in the box."

That philosophy will change. I PROMISE YOU! ha ha

katstrapper
August 15th, 2011, 05:12 PM
"Last year our defensive backs had some tough times. How are they progressing this camp and with their experience from last year do you think we can limit the big plays?

Coach Fritz: The thing that's going to happen with our defensive philosophy is we're gonna crowd the box and do everything we can to not allow you to run the football. Our big goal on the offensive side is to throw the ball more effectively and on the defensive side is to play a lot better pass defense. Other teams are gonna have to throw the ball against us because of how many people we put in the box."

That philosophy will change. I PROMISE YOU! ha ha

Why do you think that wil change? They pretty much stuck with that game plan most of the year, hence young secondary getting burnt like toast.. I think the secondary will be much improved.

blackfordpu
August 15th, 2011, 05:22 PM
The Bell development question was mine. ;)

Like the confidence Fritz exudes, hope it is rubbing off on the players. Can't wait for the season to start.

crossfire07
August 15th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Why will it change? What usually happens when you put everybody in the box for an extended time? I don't care who you have in the secondary, you will get picked apart. I can't access the link anymore but if you read on some more, he will crawfish and talk about other things.