PDA

View Full Version : Wofford Completes Spring Drills - How Good Are They?

TexasTerror
March 27th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Alright, I have a woman that frequents my Sports & Rec facility that played Wofford basketball. I always talk about how Wofford had a pretty good team a few years back and how the I-AA snub is named after them. But, what are they going to do this year? What can I tell this young woman about her alma mater? She's always asking what I know.

Well, here's the report from their final scrimmage this past weekend. What's the word from all you Terrier fans?

SPARTANBURG, SC – The Wofford football team went through its final scrimmage of the spring season on Saturday morning. Head coach Mike Ayers put the Terriers through a one hour and 22 minute workout inside of Gibbs Stadium.

Ayers was pleased with the team’s performance on Saturday.

“I don’t think we’re ready for prime time but we’re getting better,” said Ayers. “We have a lot of young kids that we put into some tough situations. I like the way we came out and got after each other.”

The Wofford offense rushed for one touchdown and threw three scoring passes. Halfback Dane Romero scored on a 64-yard run on the third offensive series of the controlled scrimmage. Quarterback Josh Collier followed with a 60-yard scoring pass to Andy Strickland.

http://wofford.org/athletics/content.asp?id=2025

WCU LawCat
March 28th, 2006, 01:07 AM
Three passing TDs??? one rushing?...something isn't right about that. Is Wofford trying to pull a Van Gorder?

March 28th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Coach Ayers' squads should not be underestimated.

dungeonjoe
March 28th, 2006, 05:08 AM
nor should terror's conversations with a woman!:rotateh: :) j/k

the key will be the qb position... I have questions about the o-line. Kevious Johnson is back and Romero is looking good in the backfield.

Pard94
March 28th, 2006, 05:28 AM
As a Lafayette Leopard, I'd be interested in hearing how Coach T's son is faring?

OL FU
March 28th, 2006, 06:54 AM

I agree. I have heard too many write them off. Six good teams in the Socon this year, maybe seven (Not sure about the Citadel) . (Sorry Elon:o )

dungeonjoe
March 28th, 2006, 06:56 AM
As a Lafayette Leopard, I'd be interested in hearing how Coach T's son is faring?
very well-- I am glad he is part of the team!

TexasTerror
March 28th, 2006, 07:31 AM
nor should terror's conversations with a woman!:rotateh: :) j/k

Hey, I get a few of those in each day! :nod:

My favorite part about where I work is there's always all sorts of people. I've met a Wofford alum, a girl from South Dakota St who was whocked I knew who the 'JackRabbits' were and even a Grizwald wearing a Montana sweatshirt who was shocked I knew all about Missoula and all those crazy Grizzlies...

I love I-AA! :)

So, how about those Terriers?

El_Cid_99
March 28th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Not looking forward to Kevious being back in the lineup... But then again, I'm confident in our own ground game this year, with Goodrum, Lee, and our surprise of the Spring Tory Cooper. Should be a good game in Spartanburg this year.

And in true (recent) Citadel fashion, we should have a D-1 transfer wide receiver heading our way soon. Whether he's any good remains to be seen.
More on that later.

MYTAPPY
March 28th, 2006, 12:06 PM
I play in a volleyball league here in Charlotte and one of the girls on my team played at Wofford. She is quite warm too. A good 'ole southern girl.
Oh she is also pretty good at volleyball too. ;)

Terriers, we'll see you on Oct. 14th.

walliver
March 28th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Unfortunately, Ben Widmyer, our option quarterback was injured in the first scrimmage (separated shoulder) and sat out the rest of spring practice. Hopefully he will be well by the time summer camp opens to compete for the starting position, We're thin at offensive line also. _IF_ injuries are minimal, we should be able to compete for a playoff spot, but, I think our best chances will be in 2007.