PDA

View Full Version : ASU's Tanyi a Good Fit at Linebacker

Appaholic
August 11th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Lanston Tanyi says that he feels like a new man, having recovered from injuries that have kept him from playing in any games since Appalachian State's quarterfinal playoff victory against Richmond in December 2009.

And Tanyi has a new position, having moved from defensive end to outside linebacker as result of the Mountaineers' shift from a 4-3 to a 3-4 alignment.

He's glad to be back, and the timing couldn't be much better.

Dale Jones, the Mountaineers' defensive coordinator, had planned to use Tanyi — who seems to be a good fit at outside linebacker as a stand-up pass rusher — in the newly installed alignment. That move has since been made more urgent with the loss of outside linebacker Justin Wray, ASU's second-leading tackler last season, who will miss this season after shoulder surgery.

Tanyi, 6-foot-2 and now up to 250 pounds, was recruited as a tight end out of Shelby High School. He made a mark as a fleet but somewhat undersized defensive end but offers outstanding size for a linebacker and, Jones said, can run as well as any linebacker he's had.

"He can really run," Jones said, "and he can cover. The guys like Marques Murrell and Jason Hunter who have been here — when they get to the next level they've been looked at as stand-up players, as outside linebackers — and Lanston is probably faster than any of those guys we've had to this point. Given his size, and his speed, (outside linebacker) fits well with him."

http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2011/aug/11/wssport01-asus-tanyi-a-good-fit-at-linebacker-ar-1288298/

asumike83
August 11th, 2011, 01:12 PM
ASU is going to be a young team breaking in a new defensive scheme, but I'm hoping that we can surprise some people on that side of the ball. I'm relatively confident that we're going to put points on the board, it will all come down to getting stops. There is as much defensive size and athleticism as we've had in recent memory, I'm just hoping it all comes together in the new 3-4 set.

HighCountry
August 11th, 2011, 03:08 PM
The D definitely has one huge chip on their shoulder, I don't think they are going to let us down.

PaladinFan
August 11th, 2011, 04:34 PM
A 6'2 250lb linebacker? Is this the 2003 Furman Defense?

Skjellyfetti
August 11th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Watched the scrimmage yesterday.. and Tanyi was all over the field. He's going to have a great year, imo. Our d-line also looks very good (though, it's hard to tell whether it's a weak o-line or not).

asumike83
August 11th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Watched the scrimmage yesterday.. and Tanyi was all over the field. He's going to have a great year, imo. Our d-line also looks very good (though, it's hard to tell whether it's a weak o-line or not).

That is great to hear. I am very excited to get up to Boone for Fan Fest next weekend and see them scrimmage first-hand!

GlassOnion
August 11th, 2011, 11:52 PM
6'6 315 / 6'1 305 / 6'6 300
Witte Wylie Williams

6'2 250 / 5'11 238 / 6'2 230 / 6'2 245
Tanyi Kimbrough Grier Rizor

Introducing the front seven of the 2011 Mountaineers... Them r big boys.

PaladinFan
August 12th, 2011, 07:09 AM
6'6 315 / 6'1 305 / 6'6 300
Witte Wylie Williams

6'2 250 / 5'11 238 / 6'2 230 / 6'2 245
Tanyi Kimbrough Grier Rizor

Introducing the front seven of the 2011 Mountaineers... Them r big boys.

Those three interior guys may have necessitated the change. The 3-4 is a good defense, but you are wasting your time running it if you don't have a dominant player over center as he is going to get double teamed nearly every single play. Those three guys are really to big to be effective in a traditional 4-3, so it may be that the move of Tanyi outside is more a product of those guys not fitting a 4-3 scheme, than he fitting a 3-4 scheme.

Saint3333
August 12th, 2011, 07:34 AM
The size stats are impressive. My biggest concern is Witte and Williams both are unproven especially Williams as a R Fr.

asumike83
August 12th, 2011, 07:50 AM
The size stats are impressive. My biggest concern is Witte and Williams both are unproven especially Williams as a R Fr.

Do you mean William Corbin? Last I heard, he was penciled in to start at the end opposite Witte.

Saint3333
August 12th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Yes Corbin, huge frame and tons of potential, will he be ready this year to start?

asumike83
August 12th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Yes Corbin, huge frame and tons of potential, will he be ready this year to start?

He has a ton of potential. Athletic kids with 6-6, 300 lb. frames don't come along the FCS ranks every day. From everything I've read at the Rivals site (I believe I've seen you on the board there too), the coaches have positive things to say about him. I expect a bit of a learning curve, but he's gonna do some damage. Dale Jones was raving about the freshman DE we have in camp this year too and their potential for the future. If we keep the 3-4 scheme and the young kids pan out, the defense could be solid for a long time.