PDA

View Full Version : Armanti Edwards could play QB for Panthers

Appaholic
August 11th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Former ASU star getting reps in shotgun formation

SPARTANBURG, S.C. — The last thing Armanti Edwards was worried about as a rookie was throwing passes for the Carolina Panthers. His sole focus, he was told last season, was learning to play wide receiver and return punts, no easy task considering he played quarterback at Appalachian State.

Now that's changed to some degree.
“It's ironic, now I have to get used to playing quarterback again,” Edwards said.
He isn't competing for a starting quarterback spot with Cam Newton or Jimmy Clausen, but based on what the team has done in practice, offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski plans to use him occasionally in the Wildcat formation — with Newton split out wide.

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20110811/SPORTS/308110017/Panthers-Armanti-Edwards-could-see-time-QB?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Frontpage|s

appfan2008
August 11th, 2011, 07:08 AM
I love seeing some variation with the panthers as opposed to the last few years... would love to see any AE playing time...

AppAlum2003
August 11th, 2011, 07:42 AM
AE to Cam for 6 would be pretty cool to see, I'll admit.

ASUG8
August 11th, 2011, 07:59 AM
I'm just hoping this isn't some preseason hype like last year. Hopefully he gets some real playing time this season regardless of the position.

AppAlum2003
August 11th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Yeah, last year was one big AE-tease by Foxxy.

Preseason receptions leader.

Wildcat formation with multiple passes, some runs.

Played 2 snaps the entire season.

biggie
August 11th, 2011, 08:57 AM
They are kind of blowing up the Wildcat (Mountaineer) package. He is a WR first, currently the 3rd WR on the early depth chart and most have said he hasn't mishandled a punt at all.

And they are using 3 different people in the Wildcat, though AE is the only one that is a threat to throw out of it.

phoenixphanatic21
August 12th, 2011, 08:34 AM
It'll be nice to have a coach that actually wants to use Armanti. The possibilities are nearly endless if we do use him at QB. Line him and Cam in the shotgun, send Cam in motion, AE to Cam for a TD.
Line AE, Cam and DeAngelo or J-Stew in the backfield.
Line AE, Cam and Clausen in the backfield.
Use AE like the Steelers used to use Antawn Randle-El on lots of WR reverse passes.

This'll be fun.

appfan2008
August 12th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Im excited the boring Foxx is gone... at least there will be some imagination this year!

phoenixphanatic21
August 12th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Im excited the boring Foxx is gone... at least there will be some imagination this year!

We definitely needed some change, especially on offense. I swear I have never seen a more predictable offense in football. Ever. Run, run, pass. When the Panthers pass, triple team Steve Smith.

StorminASU
August 12th, 2011, 09:12 AM
We definitely needed some change, especially on offense. I swear I have never seen a more predictable offense in football. Ever. Run, run, pass. When the Panthers pass, triple team Steve Smith.

I read somewhere yesterday it's more like run, run, Delhomme pass, send out the defense. Those days are gladly behind us!!!

alvinkayak6
August 29th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Cam Newton is really handicapped by the playcalling IMO. I think he has the versatility to make just about any team 5 or 6 winners stronger from last place. Tell the management it's time for a new head coach if they want to compete with New Orleans and Atlanta.

AppAlum2003
August 29th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Cam Newton is really handicapped by the playcalling IMO. I think he has the versatility to make just about any team 5 or 6 winners stronger from last place. Tell the management it's time for a new head coach if they want to compete with New Orleans and Atlanta.

Sooo... you're saying they should replace their brand new head coach that hasn't even lost a regular-season NFL game yet?

appfan2008
August 29th, 2011, 02:12 PM

He has never coached a regular season game in his life and it is time to get rid of him?!

alvinkayak6
August 29th, 2011, 02:41 PM
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/01/11/1972635/rivera-named-panthers-head-coach.html

I just don't like him and I don't think he can lead a franchise competing against NO and Atlanta. But IDK I'll have to take my true feelings over to the SMACK boards.xpeacex

SideLine Shooter
August 29th, 2011, 04:03 PM
alvin, are you in statesboro or chatty?

alvinkayak6
September 7th, 2011, 11:11 PM
alvin, are you in statesboro or chatty?
no, thank god

Skjellyfetti
September 8th, 2011, 01:19 PM
he's a knob

ElonPride
September 9th, 2011, 02:54 PM
I read somewhere yesterday it's more like run, run, Delhomme pass, send out the defense. Those days are gladly behind us!!!

Finally something Elon and App fans can agree on :)

94 Pirate
September 12th, 2011, 12:59 PM
422 passing yards for Cam Newton. I don't think there will be much more argument as to who the Carolina Panthers QB will be for the forseeable future.

biggie
September 12th, 2011, 02:53 PM
May be 180 degs next week when they probably play a MUCH better D, we'll see.

Smitty
September 19th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Well Newton completed 28 of 46 passes for 432 yards against Green Bay...

Still lost but 2309570173501925709 years better than Clausen

ASUMountaineer
September 19th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Well Newton completed 28 of 46 passes for 432 yards against Green Bay...

Still lost but 2309570173501925709 years better than Clausen

It's funny because it's true.

HIU 93
September 20th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Who was it that said Cam Newton couldn't be a passer in the NFL?

biggie
September 20th, 2011, 11:42 AM
I did. Still don't know if he's proven it completely. 3 INTs against a decent D and just wide open WRs against AZ. His accuracy still needs work, it seems his numbers are inflated since they are forcing him to pass a lot due to there is no running game. I believe his passing yards will drop quickly.

But he has went well past expectations so far.

AppAlum2003
September 20th, 2011, 12:05 PM
It's been two games... don't overreact or underreact. GB defense was lit up the week before as well. AZ is awful. I'll "believe" in Cam after 4 or 5 more games of 200+ yards. He needs fewer interceptions as well.

alvinkayak6
September 20th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Yeah. So my crow is tasting pretty good right now. Mmmmmmmm

Rekdiver
October 5th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Armanti could play QB but he's not. Newton is proving to be worth the #1 pick. Now if we could get someone to block for Armanti on punts it would be good.

gr8ness97
October 10th, 2011, 01:42 PM
I was wondering what happened to him, since there hasnt been a peep about him anywhere.

biggie
October 10th, 2011, 01:51 PM
I was wondering what happened to him, since there hasnt been a peep about him anywhere.
Panthers punt returner and has made it in on a couple plays at WR, but Panthers prefer to run 2 TE (Olsen/Shockey) over going with another WR.

AE did return a punt 9 yds vs NO, but that is the longest all year vs NO, they had only given up 10 total yds in PR in the first 4 games.

AppAlum2003
October 10th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Panthers punt returner and has made it in on a couple plays at WR, but Panthers prefer to run 2 TE (Olsen/Shockey) over going with another WR.

AE did return a punt 9 yds vs NO, but that is the longest all year vs NO, they had only given up 10 total yds in PR in the first 4 games.

And oh, BTW, the Stains have played the Bears and Devin Hester.

Unfortunately, Hester didn't have any return yards because well... NO didn't have to punt much.

Grizalltheway
October 10th, 2011, 11:14 PM

Undoubtedly some white devil.

HIU 93
November 2nd, 2011, 09:10 AM
Undoubtedly some white devil.

Well, he was undoubtedly wrong!xlolx

HIU 93
November 2nd, 2011, 09:11 AM
I did. Still don't know if he's proven it completely.

Still hating, huh?

HIU 93
November 2nd, 2011, 09:12 AM
Cam is the MAN! I am so glad my Panthers seem to FINALLY be having some luck.

AppAlum2003
November 2nd, 2011, 09:20 AM
Cam is the MAN! I am so glad my Panthers seem to FINALLY be having some luck.

Pun intended?

biggie
November 2nd, 2011, 09:25 AM
Pun intended?
Ironic in many ways, since they still can't win games, they just look better losing currently.

But Indy probably had the Luck sweepstakes on lock.

ASUMountaineer
November 2nd, 2011, 09:32 AM
Ironic in many ways, since they still can't win games, they just look better losing currently.

But Indy probably had the Luck sweepstakes on lock.

Yeah. I am a huge Panthers fan and am on the Cam-waggon. I also support a "Suck for Luck" campaign in Carolina. Look at what Atlanta gave up to get Julio Jones...now, imagine what Miami or Indy would give up to get Luck. We could build our defense off that one trade. HA!

HIU 93
November 2nd, 2011, 10:10 AM
Pun intended?

Absolutely not.

HIU 93
November 2nd, 2011, 10:19 AM
Yeah. I am a huge Panthers fan and am on the Cam-waggon. I also support a "Suck for Luck" campaign in Carolina. Look at what Atlanta gave up to get Julio Jones...now, imagine what Miami or Indy would give up to get Luck. We could build our defense off that one trade. HA!

That's not a bad idea. Peyton is done ( NO ONE returns to ANY athletic endeavor from the surgery he had). Carolina with Mathis and Freeney? I'm salivating. Although we wouldn't be in this dodge if they hadn't let Peppers go, but I'm getting over that-I think.

Smitty
November 2nd, 2011, 10:40 AM
Too bad the impossible has to happen. (Panthers win no other games, Colts win at least 2 games)

ASUMountaineer
November 2nd, 2011, 11:27 AM
Too bad the impossible has to happen. (Panthers win no other games, Colts win at least 2 games)

Hey, you're a Western fan...you should be used to dreaming. :) Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

HIU 93
November 2nd, 2011, 11:39 AM

You're right. But hey, you can't fault me for dreaming. For a minute there, I was reminiscing of the days of Sam Mills (RIP) and Kevin Greene.

phoenix3
November 10th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Unfortunately, Edwards will likely be relagated to the scout team or will be released after this season.

Smitty
November 10th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Unfortunately, Edwards will likely be relagated to the scout team or will be released after this season.

Nah he is playing a Devin Hester role right now (minus the return TDs). If he decides to start fumbling the ball all the time during punts, then you may see him phased out.

Skjellyfetti
November 10th, 2011, 10:29 AM

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.urlesque.com/media/2010/05/haterafrican.jpg

phoenix3
November 14th, 2011, 03:10 PM
xlolx I'm really not a hater & I sincerely would like to see Edwards succeed, it just doesn't seem to be in the cards. He was absolutely one of the top 5 college quarterbacks I've seen though.

Rekdiver
November 21st, 2011, 07:58 AM
Armanti will not play QB in the NFL. He has 1 more camp and preseason to get it right and then could be cut. He will be picked up by another team if that happens..

Smitty
November 21st, 2011, 08:14 AM
If he gets cut by the 3rd worse team in the NFL I doubt he will be picked up by a better team. Not trying to hate just being honest

AppAlum2003
November 21st, 2011, 08:40 AM
If he gets cut by the 3rd worse team in the NFL I doubt he will be picked up by a better team. Not trying to hate just being honest

Yes, because the best teams have ALL of the best players... coaching means nothing.

I like Rivera, but maybe a fresh start with a new team is what AE needs.

MorgantonAPPAlum
November 22nd, 2011, 06:22 AM
AE did a pretty good job on punt returns Sunday. Up until now he has been nothing to get excited about, and I would still like to see him get some time at WR (or wildcat), but Sunday was his best preformance as a pro.

ASUMountaineer
November 22nd, 2011, 07:59 AM
AE did a pretty good job on punt returns Sunday. Up until now he has been nothing to get excited about, and I would still like to see him get some time at WR (or wildcat), but Sunday was his best preformance as a pro.

Agreed.

Cleets
November 22nd, 2011, 08:52 AM
Roster spots are extremely valuable on young teams...
I liken Edwards to Julian Edelman
Edelman has been able to stay on the roster because he's been able to do "a few things well" cover punts / Return punts / Tackle / Play Corner in a 46 with 6 DB's...
If you're a one trick player in the NFL that one thing better be AMAZING

AppAlum2003
November 22nd, 2011, 09:12 AM
Armanti had a good week because, as he said in the paper a few weeks ago, he quit "dancing and shuffling" when he caught the ball. He just ran hard and hit the hole. (That's what she said.)

He's got enough start and stop speed to be a good returner... not so much straight-forward speed.

ASUMountaineer
November 22nd, 2011, 10:17 AM
Roster spots are extremely valuable on young teams...
I liken Edwards to Julian Edelman
Edelman has been able to stay on the roster because he's been able to do "a few things well" cover punts / Return punts / Tackle / Play Corner in a 46 with 6 DB's...
If you're a one trick player in the NFL that one thing better be AMAZING

That's why some people call Devin Hester an HOF.

biggie
November 22nd, 2011, 10:39 AM
Kind of amazed there has been no gadget plays for AE, not like they'll hurt their season to play around with some different things. Of course everyone loves Cam in CLT so much they'll never mess with the offense at all.

Find it hilarious that Fox will take Tebow and run a college offense this year, when he could have done the same with AE, a better passer, last year.

Cleets
November 22nd, 2011, 11:17 AM
Find it hilarious that Fox will take Tebow and run a college offense this year, when he could have done the same with AE, a better passer, last year.

+1

Block-A
December 12th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Maybe Edwards can kick FG's, god knows Mare's been awful.

CID1990
December 27th, 2011, 11:58 PM
While AE is returning punts for Carolina in unremarkable ways, Andre Roberts is now the solid #2 receiver behind Fitz at Arizona.

He already has a few TDs to his credit, and he burned the Cowboys a couple weeks ago for 110 yards on 6 recs.

ASUMountaineer
December 28th, 2011, 11:28 AM
While AE is returning punts for Carolina in unremarkable ways, Andre Roberts is now the solid #2 receiver behind Fitz at Arizona.

He already has a few TDs to his credit, and he burned the Cowboys a couple weeks ago for 110 yards on 6 recs.

Good for him, he's taking advantage of his opportunities. Plus, any player that burns the Cowgirls is A-OK in my book.