PDA

View Full Version : Doomed Stadiums

89Hen
March 27th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Last time I opened the page and saw 'Domed Stadiums' I read it as doomed for a second, but that's actually not a bad topic. Who's stadium is on it's last legs? I'd like to say Delaware Stadium, but knowing our administration, I'm sure it will be here for another 50+ years. Yale is undergoing major renovation, as is Johnson-Hagood at El Cid. Anybody else in need of new digs?

UAalum72
March 27th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Albany. 36 years ago they bolted planks to the steps of the gym, and put the field inside the track oval. 20 years ago they put up visitors' bleachers. Now they're finally getting serious about replacing the oldest field in the NEC.

Not sure how close Marist is to replacing 40-year-old Leonidoff Stadium, but the plans have been announced.

TheBisonator
March 27th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Albany. 36 years ago they bolted planks to the steps of the gym, and put the field inside the track oval. 20 years ago they put up visitors' bleachers. Now they're finally getting serious about replacing the oldest field in the NEC.

Not sure how close Marist is to replacing 40-year-old Leonidoff Stadium, but the plans have been announced.

I read that Marist is planning a new 4,000-seat football/track/soccer combo stadium that will be designed by SOM (A very prestigious architectural firm). There was a thread about it a while ago, but I can't find it at the moment.

One stadium that is definitely on its last legs is Toomey Field at UC Davis. It's questionable if the Ags will be able to use their new stadium at any point this season, but with the construction on the new stadium progressing, Toomey's future is sealed.

UNH 40
March 27th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Cowell stadium at UNH could definitely use a makeover. However the surface may be one of the best in the conference after last years late season resoding, so that is a step in the right direction. There are a lot of people working very hard to help raise money to build a new facility, so the ball is rolling. Hopefully we can raise the money to build a nice stadium.

UNH 40
March 27th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Cowell stadium at UNH could definitely use a makeover. However the surface may be one of the best in the conference after last years late season resoding, so that is a step in the right direction. There are a lot of people working very hard to help raise money to build a new facility, so the ball is rolling. Hopefully we can raise the money to build a nice stadium.

ngineer
March 27th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Now that Georgetown, Lafayette and Fordham have upgraded or begun upgrading their digs, the PL's venues are in decent shape, although it would appear that the Hoyas place could be undersized if the program begins to take off. I've always felt that if and once Georgetown puts some money behind their program, with their academic rep, they could be a sleeping monster in recruiting.

89Hen
March 27th, 2006, 12:37 PM
it would appear that the Hoyas place could be undersized if the program begins to take off
I was at the UD/GU lacrosse game there two weeks ago and they will have an absolute nightmare if and when they ever fill the 4500 seater. The stadium is IN the campus and there are only two parking garages there and really only two entrances to them. I'm afraid they are building as big as they can given the parking and infrastructure.

G'town is a real oddity. The bball team plays at the Verizon Center (MCI) while the baseball and hockey club teams play in Maryland right around the corner from my house.

33 is the stadium....

http://explore.georgetown.edu/images/maps/main.gif

ngineer
March 27th, 2006, 12:42 PM
I was at the UD/GU lacrosse game there two weeks ago and they will have an absolute nightmare if and when they ever fill the 4500 seater. The stadium is IN the campus and there are only two parking garages there and really only two entrances to them. I'm afraid they are building as big as they can given the parking and infrastructure.

G'town is a real oddity. The bball team plays at the Verizon Center (MCI) while the baseball and hockey club teams play in Maryland right around the corner from my house.

33 is the stadium....

http://explore.georgetown.edu/images/maps/main.gif

I know. I was there in 2004 for our game and expect to return this year for our game down there. Got to park in the underground garage which wasn't bad--there was no charge that day. Just seems to me they don't have room to expand seating if they become successful and the crowds start coming.

ucdtim17
March 27th, 2006, 12:54 PM
One stadium that is definitely on its last legs is Toomey Field at UC Davis. It's questionable if the Ags will be able to use their new stadium at any point this season, but with the construction on the new stadium progressing, Toomey's future is sealed.

http://publish.netitor.com/photos/schools/ucda/genrel/auto_original/23453.jpeg

Pards Rule
March 27th, 2006, 01:03 PM
I trust the actual work has started at Fisher Field in Easton. Is that known or is groundbreak still to occur? Our stadium is a disaster! 1926 facility! No major modifications at all in over 75 years! HELP!

colgate13
March 27th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Our visiting side is in need of new stands IMO. They're serviceable, but too high school like for my tastes.

The new scoreboard this year will go a long ways to updating the feel at Andy Kerr.

TheValleyRaider
March 27th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Our visiting side is in need of new stands IMO. They're serviceable, but too high school like for my tastes.

The new scoreboard this year will go a long ways to updating the feel at Andy Kerr.

I hate saying this, but I almost feel like the visiting stands are too big. Maybe it's just because we've played a number of schools with mediocre travelling groups combined with us being in the middle of nowhere that is Hamilton, but they have always looked empty with the exception of Lehigh and Cornell.

I remember being able to count all the WIU fans at the 2003 playoff game (although that was for a few good reasons).

89Hen
March 27th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Maybe it's just because we've played a number of schools with mediocre travelling groups
Unfortunately that covers most everyone in I-AA. :(

colgate13
March 27th, 2006, 02:30 PM
I hate saying this, but I almost feel like the visiting stands are too big. Maybe it's just because we've played a number of schools with mediocre travelling groups combined with us being in the middle of nowhere that is Hamilton, but they have always looked empty with the exception of Lehigh and Cornell.

I remember being able to count all the WIU fans at the 2003 playoff game (although that was for a few good reasons).

I agree. You could easily take 1,000 off either side and still have 1,000 empty.

I just would like to see them be of the same quality as the Dunlap stands. That would help IMO.

LeopardFan04
March 27th, 2006, 02:43 PM
I trust the actual work has started at Fisher Field in Easton. Is that known or is groundbreak still to occur? Our stadium is a disaster! 1926 facility! No major modifications at all in over 75 years! HELP!

The last that I heard the visitors side was almost completely down, the wood was being taken off the home side, and the press box and scoreboard were being dismantled...:hurray:

DFW HOYA
March 27th, 2006, 07:32 PM

Hey, the still to be named, still to be completed Multi-Sport Facility is a sea change better than Kehoe Field, the above-ground, rooftop home of Hoya football from 1964 through 2001. The field is now unplayable due to water leakage issues to the field house below.

As it stands, no further construction will be done on the MSF this year. Money issues remain the school's Achilles heel.

ngineer
March 27th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Hey, the still to be named, still to be completed Multi-Sport Facility is a sea change better than Kehoe Field, the above-ground, rooftop home of Hoya football from 1964 through 2001. The field is now unplayable due to water leakage issues to the field house below.

As it stands, no further construction will be done on the MSF this year. Money issues remain the school's Achilles heel.

So what is the current status, then?!! Lehigh brought a lot down to G'town last year. Will there be bathrooms?:eek: Will we be able to see the scoreboard?:rolleyes:

ngineer
March 27th, 2006, 08:42 PM

Thanks for the qualifier. I've always been proud of our strong support among our alumni when 'we' travel. We had over 400 in Oklahoma City for the NCAA wrestling championships--fourth largest contingent after Okla. State, Oklahoma and Iowa.:nod:

DFW HOYA
March 27th, 2006, 08:58 PM
So what is the current status, then?!! Lehigh brought a lot down to G'town last year. Will there be bathrooms?:eek: Will we be able to see the scoreboard?:rolleyes:

Bathrooms (still portable) and scoreboard (still in corner) remain unchanged.

Marcus Garvey
March 27th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Could someone from Northeastern give us hope that Parsons Field will be on the "Doomed" list soon?

slostang
March 27th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Cal Poly is spending 21.5 million dollars this year on renovating Mustang Stadium. It is the first of four phases. The first phase includes new west side seating, press box, presidential suite, donar suites, lighting, PA system and field. The stadium will be renamed Alex G. Spanos Stadium after Mr. Spanos who donated 8 million toward the project. The next three phase will be done as money is raised. They will include new seating on the east side and both endzones and will include new locker rooms.

GannonFan
March 28th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Could someone from Northeastern give us hope that Parsons Field will be on the "Doomed" list soon?

Don't they have a new stadium being proposed that would do that? I'm not sure the timeframe, or how far along the approval process it is, but it sounded like it was more a matter of when as opposed to if.

AppGuy04
March 28th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Every team coming to KBS is doomed for a loss:smiley_wi

Go...gate
March 28th, 2006, 11:34 AM
The aluminum bleachers at Andy Kerr date to 1983, when they replaced wooden bleachers which dated back to 1966. I believe the long-term plan is to reduce the visitor side while using a similar-looking concrete space to hold those stands and be integrated with the new press box.

NoCoDanny
March 28th, 2006, 12:14 PM

Do I understand this correctly, Georetown had a football stadium that was situated on the roof of a building? I've never heard of anything like this, are there photos or information available on this set up? It sounds bizzare to say the least.

DTSpider
March 28th, 2006, 02:55 PM
All this talk of doomed stadiums and no mention of City Stadium? Richmond currently plays at the off campus facility owned by the City of Richmond. It was constructed in 1929 and currently holds 22,000 although it is expandable up to 40,000. The facility is leased for $1/year to UR in return for UR performing all up keep.

UR is currently attempting to build an on-campus stadium to open in 2008. The city has indicated the old stadium will be turned into housing.

Old Stadium:

http://richmondspiders.collegesports.com/facilities/rich-facilities-stadium.html#one

New Stadium:

http://richmondspiders.collegesports.com/facilities/first-market-home.html

crunifan
March 28th, 2006, 04:48 PM
With the construction of the McLeod Center directly next to the UNI-Dome, the UNI-Dome is getting a slight face lift on the interior.

Here are pictures of the tunnel connecting the McLeod Center and the UNI-Dome, as well as pictures of the planned upgrades to one of the endzones.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/BrandoJac/tunnell.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/BrandoJac/Dome.jpg

ngineer
March 28th, 2006, 08:02 PM
All this talk of doomed stadiums and no mention of City Stadium? Richmond currently plays at the off campus facility owned by the City of Richmond. It was constructed in 1929 and currently holds 22,000 although it is expandable up to 40,000. The facility is leased for $1/year to UR in return for UR performing all up keep.

UR is currently attempting to build an on-campus stadium to open in 2008. The city has indicated the old stadium will be turned into housing.

Old Stadium:

http://richmondspiders.collegesports.com/facilities/rich-facilities-stadium.html#one

New Stadium:

http://richmondspiders.collegesports.com/facilities/first-market-home.html

I always thought your stadium looked like it had a weird configuration when I saw it on TV--Lehigh's playoff win in 1998 in the last play field goal and Lafayette's win in that regular season fiasco with the wild finish. How come the weird semi-circle on the west side?:confused:

DFW HOYA
March 28th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Do I understand this correctly, Georetown had a football stadium that was situated on the roof of a building? I've never heard of anything like this, are there photos or information available on this set up? It sounds bizzare to say the least.

Kehoe Field sits on the roof of the 140,000 square foot Yates Field House. The former field, which sat upwards of 8,000, was torn down to built the field house in 1979, then rebuilt on its roof, which sits 35-40 feet above where it was before. Because of structural issues (one of many), seating was restricted to one side of the field.

The football team moved off Kehoe in 2002 and the surface is no longer playable due to water leakage problems between the turf and the building.

Some PL fans from this board probably have some interesting stories to tell about when they first saw this field. I remember the Holy Cross fan in 1996who muttered something to the effect of "we stopped playing BC and Army for THIS?"

The link below shows the upper courtyard of the field house. The area above it is the Kehoe endzone.

http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/traditions/yates.htm

ngineer
March 28th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Kehoe Field sits on the roof of the 140,000 square foot Yates Field House. The former field, which sat upwards of 8,000, was torn down to built the field house in 1979, then rebuilt on its roof, which sits 35-40 feet above where it was before. Because of structural issues (one of many), seating was restricted to one side of the field.

The football team moved off Kehoe in 2002 and the surface is no longer playable due to water leakage problems between the turf and the building.

Some PL fans from this board probably have some interesting stories to tell about when they first saw this field. I remember the Holy Cross fan in 1996who muttered something to the effect of "we stopped playing BC and Army for THIS?"

The link below shows the upper courtyard of the field house. The area above it is the Kehoe endzone.

http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/traditions/yates.htm

Enjoyed the tour. When was the photo of the new stadium under construction taken? How much of the stands will be done by football season?

Engineer91
March 29th, 2006, 07:13 AM

It was not quite as bizzare as it sounds. It wasn't like you were playing 5 stories up in the air xlolx When I was there in 2000 or 2001 you hardly even noticed that you were on top of the field house. The thing that struck me most most was how small it was because they started hauling out folding chairs so that people had someplace to sit and that I managed to get one of the 5 tailgate parking spots they reserved for Lehigh. Considering all the grief that we give them, I really do enjoy going down there for games.

89Hen
March 29th, 2006, 07:51 AM
When was the photo of the new stadium under construction taken? How much of the stands will be done by football season?
That photo looks like when I (and LBPop) was there for a scrimmage last August. There were no stands but the field was complete. There are now stands on both sides of the field. The stands on the right as you look at this photo have the press box and are much larger. There are even seatbacks on a lot of the seats on the home side.

http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/traditions/images/msf.jpg

89Hen
March 29th, 2006, 07:54 AM
the tunnel connecting the McLeod Center and the UNI-Dome
Domes, tunnels.... man you people in Iowa are wimps when it comes to getting wet or cold. :p

DTSpider
March 29th, 2006, 08:16 AM
I always thought your stadium looked like it had a weird configuration when I saw it on TV--Lehigh's playoff win in 1998 in the last play field goal and Lafayette's win in that regular season fiasco with the wild finish. How come the weird semi-circle on the west side?:confused:

That's a relic from the early construction. Rumor is that in the 1920's it was going to be an oval to replicate the Yale Bowl. However, like all things in Richmond, it wasn't completed as intended. It instead was a half-bowl. When UR football rose to more prominence in the 60's/70's the home stands where constructed to be larger and replaced the small stands which previously existed. The place currently is a dump, but hopefully the new stadium will come to fruition.

crunifan
March 29th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Domes, tunnels.... man you people in Iowa are wimps when it comes to getting wet or cold. :p

I have to give you props, that was a good one.xlolx

leatherneck177
March 29th, 2006, 11:33 AM
I thought that some of you Gatewayer's out there would have a taken a shot or two at Hanson Field in Macomb. The place has not changed one bit since 1950. There are plans to renovate the east side grandstand, but the whole stadium needs a renovation.

nmatsen
March 29th, 2006, 07:10 PM
I really liked playing at WIU. They're field was my favorite place in the Gateway, I like how it sat down in a hole and how the students surrounded the field (it probably didn't hurt that I played there during a homecoming). The only problem I had was the fact that the locker rooms were 1.5 miles from the field. The only poorer locker room situation I think in 1-AA is either the 150 square foot locker room at Indiana State, the Gymnastics gym at Il State or the dirt floor locker rooms at Cal Poly!

slostang
March 29th, 2006, 09:06 PM
I really liked playing at WIU. They're field was my favorite place in the Gateway, I like how it sat down in a hole and how the students surrounded the field (it probably didn't hurt that I played there during a homecoming). The only problem I had was the fact that the locker rooms were 1.5 miles from the field. The only poorer locker room situation I think in 1-AA is either the 150 square foot locker room at Indiana State, the Gymnastics gym at Il State or the dirt floor locker rooms at Cal Poly!
Only the best for our guest. Come on back, there have been a lot of improvements since you were here last. I would love to see UNI back on the schedule.

Mountain Panther
March 29th, 2006, 10:10 PM
I thought that some of you Gatewayer's out there would have a taken a shot or two at Hanson Field in Macomb. The place has not changed one bit since 1950. There are plans to renovate the east side grandstand, but the whole stadium needs a renovation.

The one game I attended in Macomb was in 97 when we botched an extra point at the end of the game and WIU ran it back for a score to win. I believe that loss kept us out of the playoffs and was the infamous Mike Dunbar's first year as coach. That was my only road GFC game ever.

Ronbo
March 29th, 2006, 10:49 PM

We give the mediocre traveling groups a little piece of our stadium (see pic). The rest of the stadium is snapped up by Griz fans and sometimes the visiting schools don't even fill that little area and the leftover tickets get sold to our fans. I'll bet our $28 a seat is sticker shock for some fans that pay $8-$11 for general admission at their games.

http://www.syntheticdealer.com/stadium1.jpg