PDA

View Full Version : CAA question...

TxSt02
March 27th, 2006, 11:17 AM
part football question part non-football question...

1.) did you guys add Georgia State b/c you think they may add football?

and/or

did you add them as a travel partner for UNC-Wilmington?

2.) what do you guys think about now having games that far south?

89Hen
March 27th, 2006, 11:26 AM
part football question part non-football question...

1.) did you guys add Georgia State b/c you think they may add football?

and/or

did you add them as a travel partner for UNC-Wilmington?

2.) what do you guys think about now having games that far south?
Quite the opposite of the first and a lot closer to the second. They were added to appease the original members of the CAA who suddenly found themselves becoming a football conference (tough to say that today with Mason bringing in so much attention). UNC-W, VCU, ODU, GMU... were the driving force in adding Georgia State. If it were up to me, I wouldn't have added them. IF they do ever get football going, I'd make the trip to Atlanta every once in a while though.

DTSpider
March 27th, 2006, 11:53 AM
the original members of the CAA

The only original members still left are GMU, UNCW, JMU and W&M. Over time the CAA has always tried to balance the football schools with the non-football schools. The CAA came together because of basketball (also East Carolina, Navy, American & UR) in a regional league around 1985.

I don't know the exact times, but I think ODU joined around 1992 (Navy leaving) and VCU around 1997 (ECU leaving) before the influx of the American East teams in 2001 (UR & American leaving).

89Hen
March 27th, 2006, 12:16 PM
The only original members still left are GMU, UNCW, JMU and W&M. Over time the CAA has always tried to balance the football schools with the non-football schools.
I was speaking as original as in pre- Delaware, Hoftsra, Towson, Drexel. The CAA was always a basketball conference and had never tried to do anything with football prior to the 2001 expansion. When UD, HU and TU joined, it was apparent that it was quickly becoming lopsided toward football and that one day the CAA itself would sponsor football. IMO GaSt was added to quell the non-football members, who had all been around before 2001.

You probably know the history better than I since UR was an original team, but I guess the ECAC South became the CAA in 1985 with:
George Mason - 1983
James Madison - 1983
William and Mary - 1983
East Carolina - 1983
United States Naval Academy - 1983
Richmond -1983
UNC Wilmington - 1985
American - 1985

Old Dominion 1991
Virginia Commonwealth 1995

MYTAPPY
March 27th, 2006, 01:30 PM
UNCW will most likely never get football going......
But, if they did.....I'd make the trek down to the beach to take in a game or two.
I can see a rival brewing....UNCW and CCU

89Hen
March 27th, 2006, 02:01 PM
UNCW will most likely never get football going......

They are the least likely of the four (ODU, GMU, GASo, UNC-W) that have ever even whispered the notion of thinking about it. The only teams less likely in the CAA to have football are VCU and Drexel. If had to give chances on I-AA football right now....

ODU - 60%
GMU - 30%
GSU - 30%
UNCW - 5%
VCU - 1%
Drexel - 0.00001%

GannonFan
March 27th, 2006, 03:00 PM
They are the least likely of the four (ODU, GMU, GASo, UNC-W) that have ever even whispered the notion of thinking about it. The only teams less likely in the CAA to have football are VCU and Drexel. If had to give chances on I-AA football right now....

ODU - 60%
GMU - 30%
GSU - 30%
UNCW - 5%
VCU - 1%
Drexel - 0.00001%

I'd modify that a bit - ODU has clearly taken the steps to have a football team - they'd need a serious reversal of course not to have one now - I'd have them up around 80%. The only two other ones that might would be George Mason and Georgia State, and they are probably at least a decade away from having teams, if at all - probably much lower than 30%. UNCW and VCU are just like Drexel - no chance in hades that they get football teams.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 27th, 2006, 03:03 PM
I'd modify that a bit - ODU has clearly taken the steps to have a football team - they'd need a serious reversal of course not to have one now - I'd have them up around 80%. The only two other ones that might would be George Mason and Georgia State, and they are probably at least a decade away from having teams, if at all - probably much lower than 30%. UNCW and VCU are just like Drexel - no chance in hades that they get football teams.

George Mason appears to currently have a club team that plays Juco's and JVs, is that right? Do they have a realistic stadium, or do they have to build from the ground up?

89Hen
March 27th, 2006, 03:25 PM
George Mason appears to currently have a club team that plays Juco's and JVs, is that right? Do they have a realistic stadium, or do they have to build from the ground up?
That is correct. They don't have a workable stadium right now, but they do have a place for a stadium, which in many cases is half the battle.

GMU Football (http://recsports.gmu.edu/football/)

TheValleyRaider
March 27th, 2006, 03:35 PM
I gotta say, those are some pretty nice uniforms for a club team.

http://recsports.gmu.edu/football/steve/st0054.jpg

http://recsports.gmu.edu/football/Buff05/b0356.jpg

TxSt02
March 28th, 2006, 12:26 AM
do you think George Mason's success on the court will help land them a football team??? if they keep things up over the next couple years...

i would think there would be some sort of correlation either for or against a football team based on the bball teams success... IMO

bobcatfan06
March 28th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Those are some big boys on that GMU team.