PDA

View Full Version : Southern Hopes for Freshman to Provide Depth

TexasTerror
March 26th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Southern won't be expecting as much out of their freshmen in terms of starting this year as they did last, but coach Richardson hopes to see some of those kids help fill much needed holes on the depth chart. Richardson really hopes to help his team down the road by having all these young guys playing. He's going to need to sustain some depth if he wants to compete with Grambling, the Alabama schools and the emerging Jackson State for SWAC titles...

Southern signing class adds depth

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
Advocate Sports Writer
Published: Mar 26, 2006

Southern’s football team pushed almost every qualified freshman into action, with most of them starting, last season. That’s not how SU coach Pete Richardson has done things for more than a dozen years.

But that’s how thin the Jaguars, who went 4-5, were.

So what about the class of 25 prepsters signed last month? How quickly will they be pushed into the fray?

“I don’t think we’ll have as many starters” among true freshmen in comparison to last season, Southern coach Pete Richardson said. “But I think we’ll have as many who have an opportunity to play some, and I think that’s going to help our football team down the road.”

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/2524966.html