PDA

View Full Version : It's official - Army at Yale 2014

bulldog10jw
August 8th, 2011, 05:02 PM
http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2011/08/08/sports/doc4e404dbb85afc063892272.txt

The paperwork has been signed for the Army football team to play at Yale in 2014, as part of the 100th year anniversary of the Yale Bowl.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 8th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Yale director of athletics Tom Beckett said no waiver has been signed, but Army is planning to honor the contract regardless of whether or not the game counts towards being bowl eligible.

Beckett said the NCAA doesn’t normally review waiver requests until 1½ years before the game is played, which means that would not happen until the winter of 2012.

“We’re hoping we are viewed as a countable opponent and will go through the waiver process,” Beckett said. “They have agreed to come and we are honored they are coming to New Haven.”

If Yale "counts" as a bowl counter for Army, it ought to reveal that Yale is, in effect, scholarshipping its athletes - and it should allow the Patriot League and schools not named H-Y-P to be able to offer football scholarships as well.

DFW HOYA
August 8th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Good for Yale and great for college football. A "Boola-Boola" for the Bulldog fans!

TexasTerror
August 8th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Without reading the article, hasn't this game been on the books for some time?

Believe this is one of two FBS at FCS games on tap... with Illinois State receiving a visit from Ball State in the upcoming years, correct?

Bogus Megapardus
August 8th, 2011, 06:10 PM
This is it. Yale seems to be saying that "our financial aid system counts for equivalency purposes." The PL now has one less excuse.

aceinthehole
August 8th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Doesn't the "EXEMPTION" mean that Yale does NOT meet the requirements to be a bowl counter, however the NCAA is granting this one-time 'favor' to Army?

If Yale already meets the NCAA's 'bowl counter' status, they would have no reason to apply for the exemption.

The PL's own bylaws prevent schools from offering schollys, not the Ivy or the NCAA. I just don't see how a one-time exemption has any impact on PL team's 'bowl counter' status.

Sader87
August 8th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Somewhat different world (though not really)...this is hardly unprecedented, Army played at Yale in both 1986 and 1988.

TexasTerror
August 8th, 2011, 08:22 PM
It would be great to see if this opens the "flood gates" for more contests between these Ivy League schools and FBS institutions...

UConn vs Yale
Boston College vs Harvard
Syracuse vs Cornell

Seawolf97
August 8th, 2011, 08:31 PM
This is good for Yale and FCS in general.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 8th, 2011, 08:43 PM
What was the last time an FBS team played at a FCS school?

Kent State @ Youngstown 1997 was the latest i found or could think of without digging too deep.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 8th, 2011, 08:46 PM
It would be great to see if this opens the "flood gates" for more contests between these Ivy League schools and FBS institutions...

UConn vs Yale
Syracuse vs Cornell

Temple vs Penn at Franklin Field would create interest. Our series ends with Villanova after this year. Moving forward i would like to see us schedule one FCS game a year, hopefully Delaware.

Sader87
August 8th, 2011, 08:48 PM

UConn vs Yale
Boston College vs HarvardSyracuse vs Cornell

Fairly certain you will never see this particular game played. BC wanted to play Harvard for YEARS and was continually spurned by the Johnnies.

Bogus Megapardus
August 8th, 2011, 09:21 PM

UConn vs Yale
Syracuse vs Cornell

You mean Boston College vs. Holy Cross, I hope. One of the best rivalries ever. And forget Syracuse vs. Cornell. It's Syracuse vs. Colgate - a rivalry in which Colgate still maintains a winning record.

And while you're at it, why not take a look at those Rutgers vs. Lafayette/Lehigh games of the past.

Sader87
August 8th, 2011, 09:38 PM
The Army people are having a hissy fit over this on their board. It's not like they're playing Yale instead of Nebraska, Texas or UCLA either...more likely someone like Bowling Green (no offense to Bowling Green).

citdog
August 8th, 2011, 11:05 PM
The Army people are having a hissy fit over this on their board. It's not like they're playing Yale instead of Nebraska, Texas or UCLA either...more likely someone like Bowling Green (no offense to Bowling Green).

The Citadel had a nice little series with hudson high. We beat them 2 out of 3 in the 90's and offered to go back to that godlforsaken yankee place twice if they would come to Charleston once......they of course declined and mumbled something that sounded a great deal like "crazy damn Johnny Rebs" under their breath. I am lucky to have carried and tailgated under the Colors of the Army of Northerm Virginia as far north as any Southron! Yahweh denied us the victory but left us a GLORIOUS heritage to pass down!

Green26
August 9th, 2011, 04:52 AM
What was the last time an FBS team played at a FCS school?

Kent State @ Youngstown 1997 was the latest i found or could think of without digging too deep.

Idaho played at Montana in 2003, 2001 and 1999. It was a 5-game series. Montana won the last 4 games.

nmatsen
August 9th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Idaho played at Montana in 2003, 2001 and 1999. It was a 5-game series. Montana won the last 4 games.

When Idaho played at Montana in 2001 did their players have VHS tapes thrown at them by Griz fans that hit them in the head, or racial slurs directed toward their African American players? Or is that just a behavior saved for opponents that visit closer to Christmas? :)

xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawl ingxxbawlingx

appfan2008
August 9th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Congrats to Yale for securing that game... as pointed out in this thread it is rather rare that fbs will visit fcs...

Redbird Ray
August 9th, 2011, 09:11 AM
I agree that this is great for FCS. And yes, Ball State is coming to Normal in 2013. Not sure how we pulled that off. :)

Go...gate
August 9th, 2011, 11:21 AM

UConn vs Yale
Syracuse vs Cornell
Rutgers vs Princeton
Army vs Columbia
Navy vs Penn

DFW HOYA
August 9th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Rutgers vs Princeton

Both sides absolutely need to get this on the docket for 2019.

Go...gate
August 9th, 2011, 11:58 AM

From your lips to God's ears. I would think College Football and both schools would benefit from a "Sesquicentennial Game". Certainly, the 1969 Centennial Game at New Brunswick was very special.

Bogus Megapardus
August 9th, 2011, 12:05 PM
It should be Rutgers at Princeton in 2019. Princeton Stadium has the capacity for it.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 9th, 2011, 12:28 PM

From your lips to God's ears. I would think College Football and both schools would benefit from a "Sesquicentennial Game". Certainly, the 1969 Centennial Game at New Brunswick was very special.

It should be Rutgers at Princeton in 2019. Princeton Stadium has the capacity for it.

I'm good with it as long as the Rutgers/Princeton game is called what it actually is: a game where every player on the field is on scholarship.

superman7515
August 9th, 2011, 12:43 PM
or racial slurs directed toward their African American players?

It was their first time seeing an African American in person, they weren't up to date on the proper societal graces. ;)

Sader87
August 9th, 2011, 12:51 PM

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/ivyleague/princeton/opponents_records.php?teamid=2763

Interestingly, that Centennial Game was one of the very few in the series ever played in New Brunswick.

Having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that 2019 will be FIFTY years after 1969.

Pard4Life
August 9th, 2011, 05:21 PM

Nice bogie... how much will you be charging fans to park in your driveway?

Pard4Life
August 9th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Yale could comfortably host any team, even Notre Dame. It seems like a big deal on the surface but it's really not. The Yale Bowl was built as THE venue at the time.

32counter
August 9th, 2011, 09:44 PM
65,000 will be attending this game at the Bowl in 2014,most likely at $25 a POP-that's $1,500,000 gross take.Yale could easily guarantee
the USMA $350,000 for visiting New Haven-another 1st for an FCS big payout to an FBS school.The YES network will likely cover the game
which will bring in more $$.In these tough times,Yale needs to increase its $20B endowment.

Twentysix
August 10th, 2011, 11:36 AM
I agree that this is great for FCS. And yes, Ball State is coming to Normal in 2013. Not sure how we pulled that off. :)

Ball st is broke. Very simple.

Bogus Megapardus
August 10th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Nice bogie... how much will you be charging fans to park in your driveway?

Unthinkable. All proceeds will go to the Maroon Club, of course. xrolleyesx

superman7515
August 10th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Ball st is broke. Very simple.

The athletics programs or the school?

Pard4Life
August 10th, 2011, 01:33 PM
The Yale Bowl does not even attract that many for the Harvard game. There will probably be 20,000, 25k if they are lucky.

DFW HOYA
August 10th, 2011, 02:22 PM
The Yale Bowl does not even attract that many for the Harvard game.

Huh?

Attendance for the last four games in New Haven. No other I-AA rivalry outside the Bayou Classic comes close.

2003: 53,136
2005: 53,213
2007: 57,248
2009: 52,692

32counter
August 10th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Yale plays Harvard in Cambridge in 2014.This is THE GAME in 2014 including multiple flyovers on the Bowl's 100th anniversary.Pete Dawkins will likely be flipping the coin.

citdog
August 10th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Yale plays Harvard in Cambridge in 2014.This is THE GAME in 2014 including multiple flyovers on the Bowl's 100th anniversary.Pete Dawkins will likely be flipping the coin.

Why the air force of the 'late united states' would fly over ANYTHING, except to dump ordinance, Harvard is beyond me. A place that doesn't have ROTC or even Jag Corps recruiters on their sacred yard. They also allow a memorial to NAZI'S who were graduates of that school but DENY a memorial to the Harvard Men who fought and died for our GLORIOUS Confederacy.

Also Cleets

Yale gets a pass for graduating Mr. John Caldwell Calhoun.

Go...gate
August 10th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Why the air force of the 'late united states' would fly over ANYTHING, except to dump ordinance, Harvard is beyond me. A place that doesn't have ROTC or even Jag Corps recruiters on their sacred yard. They also allow a memorial to NAZI'S who were graduates of that school but DENY a memorial to the Harvard Men for fought and died for our GLORIOUS Confederacy.

Also Cleets

Yale gets a pass for graduating Mr. John Caldwell Calhoun.

What? I cannot believe that Harvard has such a memorial.

dgtw
August 10th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Huh?

Attendance for the last four games in New Haven. No other I-AA rivalry outside the Bayou Classic comes close.

2003: 53,136
2005: 53,213
2007: 57,248
2009: 52,692

The Magic City Classic also pulls in those kind of numbers.

Bogus Megapardus
August 10th, 2011, 06:53 PM
What? I cannot believe that Harvard has such a memorial.

I understand that there is a WWII memorial at Harvard listing graduates who died in that war. One of the graduates (from the Divinity School) served in the German Army and is designated as "enemy casualty" on the memorial.

There's really no story here. I see no evidence that the guy was a Nazi or anything other than a forced conscript in the German Army, not unlike the current Pope.

http://www.thecrimson.com/media/photos/2003/11/06/123015_251497_350x164.jpg

The Crimson published this about the memorial, and about the lack of a Harvard tribute to Confederate soldiers:

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/1996/1/17/civil-wars-and-moral-ambiguity-pand/

citdog
August 10th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I understand that there is a WWII memorial at Harvard listing graduates who dies in that war. One of the graduates (from the Divinity School) served in the German Army and is designated as "enemy casualty" on the memorial.

There's really no story here.

http://www.thecrimson.com/media/photos/2003/11/06/123015_251497_350x164.jpg

The 71 Harvard Men who "gave the last full measure" for their States, their people, and for principles essential to our form of government are not even given the honor of a mention.

Bogus Megapardus
August 10th, 2011, 07:02 PM
The 71 Harvard Men who "gave the last full measure" for their States, their people, and for principles essential to our form of government are not even given the honor of a mention.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/1996/1/17/civil-wars-and-moral-ambiguity-pand/

citdog
August 10th, 2011, 07:26 PM

I had forgotten that you ALSO HAD A PLAQUE FOR FIVE GERMANS WHO FOUGHT FOR THE KAISER AS WELL. Thanks for making my argument for me