PDA

View Full Version : How Long Is Your (Radio) Pre-Game Show

jmufan999
August 8th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Very simple question: How long is your radio pre-game show? I believe the JMU pre-game show is only 1 hour which I find pathetic. There are plenty of FBS shows that go on for hours and hours and hours. I'd be happy with 2 hours.

Just so we're clear, a pre-game show is JUST about the football team. Interviews with players, coaches, analysis of last week's game, preview of today's game, etc. It's not just "Here's what's going on in the athletic department".

TheBisonator
August 8th, 2011, 08:49 AM
I thought I heard that NDSU's was ONLY RECENTLY expanded from 30 minutes to an hour. Postgame though runs quite a long time, I think. Depends on the Bison radio network affiliate though.

Think about this though, the NFL's pregame shows on their official broadcasters (FOX, CBS) are only an hour long...

Smitty
August 8th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Our is about 30 minutes before the game. Which is actually all right because there is not much to talk about really.

phoenixphanatic21
August 8th, 2011, 09:02 AM
When I was at Elon, we had an hour-long student pregame show that led to a 30-minute pregame show by the guys who would broadcast the game.

DFW HOYA
August 8th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Georgetown is one of five I-AA schools without a radio broadcast--DC stations don't have interest in such broadcasts.

Anyway, there is an audio feed from the University that opens up about five minutes before gametime.

bjtheflamesfan
August 8th, 2011, 09:23 AM
90 minute tailgate and pregame show for Liberty (with our former broadcaster who retired after the 2009-2010 season, pregame was I think 15 minutes)

Eagle22
August 8th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Two hours.

bjtheflamesfan
August 8th, 2011, 09:45 AM
and youre not just saying that because I said we have a 90 minute one Eagle22?

DFW HOYA
August 8th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Two hours.

Two hours? is it a pre-game show or just a call-in? What is there to talk about for two hours?

bjtheflamesfan
August 8th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Im curious myself. Its a challenge talking just Liberty football for 90 minutes for our pregame. there is a short segment with the AD in there, plus running down FCS scores (I think theyll focus more on the FCS top 25 this year as opposed to last year)

Mountaineer
August 8th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Two hours? is it a pre-game show or just a call-in? What is there to talk about for two hours?

ASU's pregame also lasts about two hours. It's full of info: interviews with players and coaches, former players, scores and game implications around the FCS, interview with the opposing head coach, game breakdown, etc.

Other than actually being at the game, the App pregame is one of my favorite parts of a Saturday. xnodx

RabidRabbit
August 8th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Jackrabbit football pre-game start 1 hour before game. The WNAX (flagship station of SDSU main sports) has interviews, brings in the Argus-Leader guy for a 8 min segment, and reviews the other MoValley action, because as one of the western most schools in the conference, we're usually a late start.

Skjellyfetti
August 8th, 2011, 10:22 AM
ASU's pregame also lasts about two hours. It's full of info: interviews with players and coaches, former players, scores and game implications around the FCS, interview with the opposing head coach, game breakdown, etc.

Other than actually being at the game, the App pregame is one of my favorite parts of a Saturday. xnodx

+1

BEAR
August 8th, 2011, 10:22 AM
UCA has a 30 minute pregame show that features coaches interviews and other game info for the fans. Student led and really fun to listen to.xlolx

AppAlum2003
August 8th, 2011, 10:27 AM

I'm one of those really annoying guys that's also listening to the game on the radio during the game (one ear, earbud.) I like listening to the opposing coach and Coach Moore interviews during the National Anthem, etc.

jmufan999
August 8th, 2011, 10:30 AM

There are FBS programs that last 3+ hours. If they have stuff to talk about, so could we. Sure, some of it is regurgitation, but you can have a 3-4 minute interview with head coach, OC, and DC. Maybe even the special teams coordinator. Then you can analyze the info they're saying with the guys in the booth. They can do all of this work in the week leading up to the game. Doesn't have to be recorded on gameday.

Then you can interview the QB, best defensive player, other seniors/captains.... and analyze what they say. Interview the opposing coach and QB. Talk about the opponent's offensive/defensive scheme and how the home team will handle it. Talk about the weather conditions and how the team has played in similar conditions. Discuss homecoming activities if there are any. These FBS shows have NO problem entertaining for hours on end, I find it disturbing that JMU's coverage is not longer.

I'm jealous of Ga Southern's coverage if they have 2 hours... that's pretty good.

appfan2008
August 8th, 2011, 10:36 AM
ASU as already pointed out is 2 hours which is a great thing... love listening as we are packing up the tailgating...

GeauxLions94
August 8th, 2011, 10:39 AM
On the flagship station (our campus station), Southeastern Louisiana's is 30 minutes long. Our former flagship station (the commercial station in town) is looking at doing their own pre-game show (don't know length of show yet) that would bump up into our current one.

Bam
August 8th, 2011, 10:39 AM
EKU--half an hour pre-game & one hour post game.

biggie
August 8th, 2011, 10:42 AM

I usually try to catch most of it when I'm not at the game. But also usually listen to the pregame/game/postgame at work on the following Monday to see what was on or what info I missed.

Postgame is usually close to an hour and just as good as pregame, usually catch the last 30 mins of it while sitting in traffic in Boone.

This isn't counting our normal Thursday coaches show, which to me is like pre-pregame.

andy7171
August 8th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Home games - 90 minutes pre-game, followed by 30 minute break down of the upcoming game.
Away - just the 30 minute breakdown.

The home 90 minute show has former players, coaches(old and current) interviews and previous game reviews and how the rest of the CAA play is unfolding.

TheDancinMonarch
August 8th, 2011, 02:18 PM
One hour, home and away.

Eagle22
August 8th, 2011, 03:18 PM

Pre-game show.

First hour is sports recap of the week for the school and football results around the conference ... commercial heavy. Depending on start time of the game, throw in score updates around FCS. Pre-recorded bits with a spotlight on an athlete and a coach (sport may vary) .... then the second hour we dive into breakdown on game at hand in a roundtable format. Host, co-host and a couple of us 'media' folks who chime in with our $0.02. Do a little with matchups for the game, just generally a lot of back and forth banter about the x's and o's .... Last year the host was our sideline radio reporter, the co-host our production guy ... and the 'roundtable' was myself and one of the beat newspaper writers. I'm usually on there to give the fan perspective and maybe inject whatever relevant historical perspective might be there ... our radio crew (save one who was a player at GSU), has only been around since 2006.

We have a fun time with it, and during the homecoming games and big matchups, when a lot of the older players come back, two hours is never enough time to get some of those guys on the air talking about their past times as an Eagle.

Eaglesrus
August 8th, 2011, 03:32 PM
and youre not just saying that because I said we have a 90 minute one Eagle22?

Pre-game show.

First hour is sports recap of the week for the school and football results around the conference ... commercial heavy. Depending on start time of the game, throw in score updates around FCS. Pre-recorded bits with a spotlight on an athlete and a coach (sport may vary) .... then the second hour we dive into breakdown on game at hand in a roundtable format. Host, co-host and a couple of us 'media' folks who chime in with our $0.02. Do a little with matchups for the game, just generally a lot of back and forth banter about the x's and o's .... Last year the host was our sideline radio reporter, the co-host our production guy ... and the 'roundtable' was myself and one of the beat newspaper writers. I'm usually on there to give the fan perspective and maybe inject whatever relevant historical perspective might be there ... our radio crew (save one who was a player at GSU), has only been around since 2006.

We have a fun time with it, and during the homecoming games and big matchups, when a lot of the older players come back, two hours is never enough time to get some of those guys on the air talking about their past times as an Eagle.

So, no bj, he didn't just say it because of your 90 minutes :D

WWII
August 8th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Albany's is 15 minutes.

achrist70
August 8th, 2011, 07:39 PM
90 minutes, of course that is not nearly enough Gary Rima for a person.

FargoBison
August 8th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Pregame is an hour, postgame is 2-3 hours(never listened to all of it) but the bulk of the post game is Bison fanline(AKA Bison whineline).

CrazyCat
August 8th, 2011, 08:30 PM
The Bobcat pre-game radio show is 5 minutes longer than whoever said theirs was the longest or it's 5 minutes less than the shortest show posted. xrotatehx

ursus arctos horribilis
August 8th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Montana's is at least 2 hrs. as well. They do the same thing Mounty described and it's not like I've ever gotten tired of it. Sometimes they have an ex Griz player going around and describing the tailgate scene (show is called "The Statewide Tailgate" I think) and then once the game is over they have an after show that rounds out the time span until the top of the next hour so with game included it's 6 hrs. of good time.

In the aftershow they do a Big Sky Roundup and talk about other FCS games around the country also. Most all of your teams have probably been discussed on there at one time or another.

401ks
August 8th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I've always been told that breadth is more important than length.

:D

Go Poly
August 8th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Cal Poly: 30 minutes

eiu1999
August 9th, 2011, 08:41 AM
30 minutes.

bjtheflamesfan
August 9th, 2011, 08:54 AM
The Liberty postgame is usually pretty short, theyll talk to Coach Rocco, go over highlights, maybe run the highlights of FCS and FBS games of note, then Rocco's postgame presser (for home games) then sign off. The 90 minute pregame only came about this past season.

bodoyle
August 9th, 2011, 08:59 AM
CCU's is 1 hour.

MSUBear42
August 9th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Missouri State's is an hour. They do a pretty good job, have practice reports and coach and play interviews.

GtFllsGriz
August 9th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Actually Ursus, I think it is 2 1/2 hours until game time changes from 1:00 pm to noon starts. It seems that it always starts at 10:30. While driving across MT to the game you get to listen to the statewide tailgate party. They do a Big Sky roundup talking to a top player from one of the BSC teams. They do an interview with the Sports Network guru and talk about the national scene. Then of course the interviews with players, coaches and any activities particular to the game day. All of it is broadcast live from the tailgate area with speakers blaring to the fans. They often interview the AD from the opposing team as well. The last half hour or so is Mick (play by play caller) talking with the coach about the game.

They do an awesome job and for those of us traveling it is a must to listen to. You get plenty jacked up for the game before you ever arrive at the stadium.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 9th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Actually Ursus, I think it is 2 1/2 hours until game time changes from 1:00 pm to noon starts. It seems that it always starts at 10:30. While driving across MT to the game you get to listen to the statewide tailgate party. They do a Big Sky roundup talking to a top player from one of the BSC teams. They do an interview with the Sports Network guru and talk about the national scene. Then of course the interviews with players, coaches and any activities particular to the game day. All of it is broadcast live from the tailgate area with speakers blaring to the fans. They often interview the AD from the opposing team as well. The last half hour or so is Mick (play by play caller) talking with the coach about the game.

They do an awesome job and for those of us traveling it is a must to listen to. You get plenty jacked up for the game before you ever arrive at the stadium.

I thought it might be 2 1/2 but wasn't sure so I'll defer to your appraisal. It is the only local radio I ever listen to.

clenz
August 9th, 2011, 10:30 AM

Other than actually being at the game, the App pregame is one of my favorite parts of a Saturday. xnodxSame for UNI...home and away

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 9th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I believe our pre-game show starts before kickoff but our games are aired on a prominent network here in Richmond. I don't think we could expect any more than an hour. I'm happy with it.

http://www.espn950am.com/

Sader87
August 9th, 2011, 02:42 PM
30 minutes..... though listening to Bob Fouracre some days make it seem like 3 hours.

bluehenbillk
August 9th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Delaware does 1 hour for home games and 30 minutes I believe for road games. What's the big deal? You're either in the stadium or tailgating when it's on - who listens to home games??

OTOH just an FYI - I believe Nebraska's basically starts when the sun comes up & ends well past midnight. That trip to Lincoln was insane - I'll go back. Not to mention the best piece of steak ever, the East Coast sucks when it comes to steak.

jmufan999
August 9th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Delaware does 1 hour for home games and 30 minutes I believe for road games. What's the big deal? You're either in the stadium or tailgating when it's on - who listens to home games??

um... that's the point. how did you not understand this? 1 hour doesn't allow you more than 10 minutes to listen to the pregame before you have to leave for the stadium. i catch the band beforehand, don't know what kind of band you have at UD but ours is pretty f'ing good. so yes, only hearing 10 minutes of the pregame show IS a big deal. again, there are FBS programs that go on for 3+ hours. me wanting 2 hours is not like i'm asking for something unrealistic, especially when other FCS programs already have this.

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 9th, 2011, 09:17 PM
i catch the band beforehand, don't know what kind of band you have at UD but ours is pretty f'ing good.

xholyx

I tend to agree with billk. I'm typically (A) too drunk, (B) too busy with the grill or (C) Both to listen to much pre-game show.

jmufan999
August 9th, 2011, 09:25 PM
I don't know, I like to be in the stadium at the 30 minute to go mark. Really lets the gameday atmosphere simmer. I just get excited getting there that early, and I'd like to have a pre-game show that I can listen to for awhile before I leave, that's all.

State Line Liquors
August 9th, 2011, 09:27 PM
um... that's the point. how did you not understand this? 1 hour doesn't allow you more than 10 minutes to listen to the pregame before you have to leave for the stadium. i catch the band beforehand, don't know what kind of band you have at UD but ours is pretty f'ing good. so yes, only hearing 10 minutes of the pregame show IS a big deal. again, there are FBS programs that go on for 3+ hours. me wanting 2 hours is not like i'm asking for something unrealistic, especially when other FCS programs already have this.

The pregame radio show is background noise and so is 95% of what any marching band does. Sometimes we listen to other games if they're on the satellite radio pregame. Most of the time I'm just trying to squeeze in a few more beers and a few more ribs. At halftime I head up to the hospitality area and score more booze, so I can come back in and yell at twats like Mickie.

bluehenbillk
August 9th, 2011, 09:54 PM
The pregame radio show is background noise and so is 95% of what any marching band does. Sometimes we listen to other games if they're on the satellite radio pregame. Most of the time I'm just trying to squeeze in a few more beers and a few more ribs. At halftime I head up to the hospitality area and score more booze, so I can come back in and yell at twats like Mickie.

Agreed with the SiriusXM part - listening to other games. Before games I'm really concerned with 3 things: 1) eating & drinking (if that's one not two) - 20 scores of other games (how much harder was this w/o smartphones?) and 3) keeping track of my kids.

catbob
August 10th, 2011, 02:37 PM
I believe MSU's is 2 hours... anyone chime in?

apaladin
August 10th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Furman has one hour pre-game show plus a 30 min kickoff show. They have a wrap up show and the announcers/analysts go to a local restaurant for another post-game scoreboard show. Furman has a new play-by-play announcer so I don't if thing will change this year.