PDA

View Full Version : Calculate your very own Academic Index at home!

Bogus Megapardus
August 7th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Sometimes the Patriot and Ivy League posters on AGS discuss something known as the "Academic Index" or "AI," which is calculated for every incoming athlete in those conferences. The purpose of the Academic Index is to make it nearly impossible for Patriot League schools to field nationally-competitive teams on a consistent basis, and to give the Ivies an convenient excuse for scheduling virtually all of their OOC games against the PL. Now, boys and girls, the mystery is revealed . . . You can calculate your own Academic Index at home! Here's how:

http://www.academicrecruits.com/academic-index.html

The Patriot is a bit softer than the Ivy - The "hard floor" at PL schools is an AI of 168, while the minimum AI at Ivy schools is 171. Good luck, and thanks for playing.

Bogus Megapardus
August 7th, 2011, 06:35 PM
And here's a little more information about how the "bands" work.

http://home.comcast.net/~charles517/ivyai.html

GA St. MBB Fan
August 7th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Damn...should have played football in high school.

RichH2
August 8th, 2011, 10:12 AM
i remember a story about the Gordion knot I now realize they were referring to AI floors and calculations.Or was it the fable about the chinese puzzle box. I believe Rube must have had a hand in creating allof them

Bogus Megapardus
August 8th, 2011, 10:25 AM
i remember a story about the Gordion knot I now realize they were referring to AI floors and calculations.Or was it the fable about the chinese puzzle box. I believe Rube must have had a hand in creating allof them

Just imagine a kid with a 3.8 GPA and 1300 SAT sitting at home looking at this and trying to figure out his AI. Hmmm . . . do I test the limits of my floating-point decimal processing capacity, or just take the full ride at Richmond?

RichH2
August 8th, 2011, 02:01 PM
a quandry indeed Bogie, but we must be strong and stay academically pure We must not let reality intrude. So what if every team on merit aid has higher scres and gpa's than our so simon pure football squads. I am a firm believer in stong academic requirements and standards and I know that competitve advantage to an institution able to recruit a much wider range of students is unfair, altho Fordham never seemed to be able to consistently take advantage of the edge they have with broader admissions, BUT do we need to define such an issue with a math formula. Maybe that is the test, if a recruit cant understand the AI formulation he clearly falls beneath the AI floor and s/b banished to State U> Drat, I know we have it but I find it troubling.

Saint3333
August 8th, 2011, 02:23 PM
To get to the average you have to score an average of 57 on the SAT and GPA scale. This is accomplished by the following:

GPA 2.5 and SAT 1100

or

GPA 3.0 and SAT 940

These numbers seem low. Appear to be similar to the average drop off between the general student body and the average athletes scores seen at lowly public schools.