PDA

View Full Version : Back to Back PL Champs Lafayette Begin Spring Drills

TexasTerror
March 24th, 2006, 03:52 PM
One of the two biggest losers to graduation from the I-AA playoffs (along with Texas State-San Marcos) are back this year to make another run at a Patriot League title. The below article provides a great glimpse into coach Tavani's squad in Easton, PA. So, are Lehigh fans licking their chops in a chance to get back at Lafayette? Or will Lafayette find their way back to the promised land of the I-AA playoffs???

---------
EASTON, Pa. (www.lafayette.edu) - The members of the Lafayette Football Class of 2006 helped head coach Frank Tavani deliver 28 victories, a pair of Patriot League championships, two appearances in the NCAA Division I-AA playoffs, and three wins over Lehigh in the most-played rivalry in college football in their four years on College Hill. The most successful class to matriculate at Lafayette in 80 years also helped Tavani replace the challenge of resurrecting a program with an even more demanding dilemma - maintaining the Leopards' spot at the top of the Patriot League.

At first glance, replacing the core of Lafayette's back-to-back Patriot League championship teams may seem insurmountable. After all, 11 starters and 25 letterwinners are gone, and only 13 members of the rising sophomore and junior classes have earned letters in their brief careers. But a deeper look reveals an untapped wealth of underclassmen hungry to make an impact, and a committed group of seniors that have played roles on a pair of championship squads, as the Leopards defend their titles in 2006.

http://goleopards.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/032406aac.html

LBPop
March 24th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Having spent only two years as a PL football fan I have a couple of observations. First, among the top teams in the league, there is not much difference in talent and performance. It seems that any of the "Big Three" can beat each other at any time. Also it appears that among the "Other Four" (and I don't mean to slight Holy Cross who made large advances last season) they are improving enough to pull an upset or two and impact the final standings. Add to that all the new coaching staffs and this season could/should be fun.

Yes, Lafayette and Tavani deserve a lot of credit. The first Patriot League game that I saw was when they came to Georgetown in 2004. The Hoyas played them tough and I don't think anyone expected the 'Pards' to have the season they did. Now it seems that Tavani has to overcome losses both among the players and his coaching staff. If Lafayette has similar success this season, that might prove to be his best coaching job of all.

ngineer
March 24th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Having spent only two years as a PL football fan I have a couple of observations. First, among the top teams in the league, there is not much difference in talent and performance. It seems that any of the "Big Three" can beat each other at any time. Also it appears that among the "Other Four" (and I don't mean to slight Holy Cross who made large advances last season) they are improving enough to pull an upset or two and impact the final standings. Add to that all the new coaching staffs and this season could/should be fun.

Yes, Lafayette and Tavani deserve a lot of credit. The first Patriot League game that I saw was when they came to Georgetown in 2004. The Hoyas played them tough and I don't think anyone expected the 'Pards' to have the season they did. Now it seems that Tavani has to overcome losses both among the players and his coaching staff. If Lafayette has similar success this season, that might prove to be his best coaching job of all.

LB--I love your signature line. My wife says I drive her crazy about 'being on time'. To me, people who are habitually late are self-centered, arrogant snobs who think the world revolves around them. One of the most important criteria I check when interviewing a candidate for anything is punctuality. Glad to see it!;)

ngineer
March 24th, 2006, 04:43 PM
I don't go overboard with the 'loss of starters' of any team. Having talent waiting in the wings is most important. Certainly some returning lettermen helps--at least for the first month, but after that, you've got experience and it comes down to talent. With all the changes in the league this year it will be an interesting time.

LBPop
March 25th, 2006, 11:17 AM
LB--I love your signature line. My wife says I drive her crazy about 'being on time'. To me, people who are habitually late are self-centered, arrogant snobs who think the world revolves around them. One of the most important criteria I check when interviewing a candidate for anything is punctuality. Glad to see it!;)

So how do you get anywhere on time and manage to put up over 3,700 posts? A remarkable achievement. :bow:

ngineer
March 25th, 2006, 12:24 PM
So how do you get anywhere on time and manage to put up over 3,700 posts? A remarkable achievement. :bow:

:lmao:

Just have to pick your times--and follow the 7 P's of Life. (Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance);)

Lafalumni29
March 27th, 2006, 08:07 PM
No one seemed to answer the question of whether the Pards will be back for a 3-peat. I realize I'm a bit biased but we have much more talent in the wings than most realize.

OH MY GOD!!!! I SOUND LIKE A LEHIGH FAN!!!!!!!

ngineer
March 27th, 2006, 08:28 PM
No one seemed to answer the question of whether the Pards will be back for a 3-peat. I realize I'm a bit biased but we have much more talent in the wings than most realize.

OH MY GOD!!!! I SOUND LIKE A LEHIGH FAN!!!!!!!

I think LC's chances of winning a part of the league championship are the same as Colgate's and Lehigh's. But for the freaky monsoon game, it would have been a three way tie last year. I don't see any significant degree of separation among these three---at this time. All with some holes to fill, all with some great talent returning.

LBPop
March 28th, 2006, 08:48 AM
I think LC's chances of winning a part of the league championship are the same as Colgate's and Lehigh's.

Yep, it's the absence of a clear favorite that gives the "Other Four" reason for hope and three opportunities this season to pull big upsets. :nod:

Pards Rule
March 28th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Yeah we have our work cut out for us this year!

LCFan21
March 28th, 2006, 12:11 PM
I think Lafalumni29 nailed it on the head. I do like our chances just the same. We have experience around the losses to graduation and some very solid new talent stepping into key roles. Last year it seemed to be the defense that "carried" the team.....this year the offense will need to put more points on the board to reclaim the title....I would love to see them attack DOWN the field with this group of recievers and less patting the ball then tucking and running for one yard gains and losses. Hurt will need to hold onto the ball and eliminate the key turnovers. Offensive and Defensive lines look real good.....LB's unproven but talented so wait and see........two new corners.....D will need more points scored for them but don't expect as major of a drop off as most think.