PDA

View Full Version : Somewhat New to FCS football, Need a Team.

Burn the Horse
August 4th, 2011, 04:57 PM
hey guys and gals. I watch FCS ball when it's on and my Troy Trojans aren't playing, but I've never had an official team. I have teams in every FBS conference that I'll pull for (all second to Troy of course, no questions there) but I don't really know enough about the FCS level to make an educated decision on who should capture my fandome at your level.

So I guess I'm posting this thread to see just who I should consider my team at this level of play. Things I consider important: Must be in the southeast, must run the ball well, and must be a legitimate contender.

Other than those three things, I'm very open-minded. So what do you guys think? Who should be my team? xcoffeex

TheBisonator
August 4th, 2011, 05:20 PM
If it's the southeast you're looking for, may I suggest Georgia Southern. They run a complex type of option offense (at least I think they still do), and they're always in the hunt. Six national championships as well.

If you're looking for an FCS team from the north, may I suggest GSU's northern counterpart, North Dakota State. We still haven't forgiven youse guys for that game-winning 50+ yard FG with the clock running out in the 1984 championship game.

citdog
August 4th, 2011, 05:26 PM
All fbs gayboys root for the vagina military institute. Birds of a feather and all.

TheBisonator
August 4th, 2011, 05:28 PM
All fbs gayboys root for the vagina military institute. Birds of a feather and all.

OFF TOPIC:

I wanna hear more "sammy maker" (women) jokes from you. The first time you used that term I nearly threw up from laughing.:D

Burn the Horse
August 4th, 2011, 05:31 PM

just because the school I attended is FBS doesn't make me gay. so you sir can kiss off.

McNeese72
August 4th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Jacksonville St., naturally.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

How about an old Southland rival? McNeese St. ?

You can even follow the games in pictures. Doc's Shots (http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/index.asp)

Doc

Burn the Horse
August 4th, 2011, 05:37 PM
yeah that's a big negatory ghost writer on Jacksonville State. they don't deserve the fans they have, let alone a Trojan! any team I consider must be outside the Great State of Alabama.

citdog
August 4th, 2011, 05:38 PM
just because the school I attended is FBS doesn't make me gay. so you sir can kiss off.

Actually it does. Fleet Week in San Francisco gay.

I-16Bandit
August 4th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Georgia Southern University.

You should know who we are.

Burn the Horse
August 4th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Actually it does. Fleet Week in San Francisco gay.

somebody didn't love you as a child.

why don't you take your negativity, and go make some lucky goat miserable. :p

Gringer1
August 4th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Troy is actually an old rival of Georgia Southern. If you want a southern team that runs the ball and wins championships, you can't get any better than Georgia Southern.

Burn the Horse
August 4th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Troy is actually an old rival of Georgia Southern. If you want a southern team that runs the ball and wins championships, you can't get any better than Georgia Southern.

well that seems like a real possibility. do you guys run the option? i love the triple option.

I-16Bandit
August 4th, 2011, 05:43 PM
well that seems like a real possibility. do you guys run the option? i love the triple option.

Of course.

jmufan999
August 4th, 2011, 05:46 PM
hey guys and gals. I watch FCS ball when it's on and my Troy Trojans aren't playing, but I've never had an official team. I have teams in every FBS conference that I'll pull for (all second to Troy of course, no questions there) but I don't really know enough about the FCS level to make an educated decision on who should capture my fandome at your level.

So I guess I'm posting this thread to see just who I should consider my team at this level of play. Things I consider important: Must be in the southeast, must run the ball well, and must be a legitimate contender.

Other than those three things, I'm very open-minded. So what do you guys think? Who should be my team? xcoffeex

I'm biased toward JMU and we rarely pass... haven't had a losing season since 2002 so we're a contender. Have a national title from 2004.

If you don't consider us "southeast" (i guess it's more "mid-atlantic"), then i'd say you should go with app state. They're always good on offense and nearly always are a top seed at playoff time.

Burn the Horse
August 4th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Yes App State is a team I always enjoy watching. they would be the easiest team to choose because they are on television more than most FCS programs, atleast in my area.

tell me more about JMU though. mascot, colors, location, offensive philosophy. I know nothing about yall.

Tribe4SF
August 4th, 2011, 05:53 PM

Hate to bring it up again (actually, I don't), but if there are gayboys at a Southern military college, this must be one of the sissies here.

http://www.myuploadedimages.com/images/34826795278759983147.png

Burn the Horse
August 4th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I really like the mascot "Tribe." that is really cool.

SideLine Shooter
August 4th, 2011, 06:02 PM

Don't pay CitDog any attention. His elevator is stuck in the basement.

citdog
August 4th, 2011, 06:13 PM
go make some lucky goat miserable. :p

It has been established here that appy fans are the goat****ers. I prefer red haired gentile women open to converting to Judaism through schmeckle charming lessons.

citdog
August 4th, 2011, 06:16 PM

That's right Shooter make nice with your future conference mate.

Burn the Horse
August 4th, 2011, 06:17 PM

I don't understand what his problem is. I have gone out of my way to come to this board and begin watching the football he loves so much. citdog, either get on board with my newfound interest in FCS football or shut up and leave me be. You are being a jerk needlessly. you have a weird way of promoting FCS football to those who show they want to learn more.

citdog
August 4th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Hate to bring it up again (actually, I don't), but if there are gayboys at a Southern military college, this must be one of the sissies here.

http://www.myuploadedimages.com/images/34826795278759983147.png

As I have stated many, many, times before the above is not an unusual thing when women find themselves in the presence of that special breed of man known to the world as a The Citadel Man. It is a real problem for us sometimes to even walk about freely in our communities without overwhelming your daughters, wives, mothers, and girlfriends with our sheer manliness and unable to contain themselves they carry us off to the sack for a rousing game of hide the pork sword.

The Eagle's Cliff
August 4th, 2011, 06:28 PM
In the Southeast, Georgia Southern and App St are schools similar to Troy with fan support from the community and alumni. Georgia Southern Football was reborn in 1981 (1984 first NCAA I-AA year) by an Alabama son Erskine "Erk" Russell who was the last 4 sport letterman at Auburn and leader of the UGA Junkyard Dawg Defenses of the 70's and 1980 NC team. By the time Erk completed his 6th playoff eligible season in 1989, his Eagles had captured 3 National Championships (played for 4) including a perfect 15-0 in his final season. The Eagles also won the year after he left in 1990.

Current Ga Tech head coach Paul Johnson developed the Flexbone Option he runs at Georgia Southern in 1985. He came back to Ga Southern in 1997 and won 2 more NC's for the Eagles, playing for three until his departure to Navy at the end of 2001.

Jeff Monken, our current Head Coach, is a disciple of Paul Johnson and was with him from 1997 until 2010 when he accepted the job at Ga Southern. We surprised a lot of people in 2010 with a good season and lost to Delaware in the semi-final round. We're being touted as contenders this year, but still have a lot to prove.

I think you'll like our uniforms tooxsmiley_wix
http://www.rockerssoft.org/brockers/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Georgia_Southern.jpg

citdog
August 4th, 2011, 06:36 PM
I don't understand what his problem is. I have gone out of my way to come to this board and begin watching the football he loves so much. citdog, either get on board with my newfound interest in FCS football or shut up and leave me be. You are being a jerk needlessly. you have a weird way of promoting FCS football to those who show they want to learn more.

So.....where do you stand on Secession?

I'd be happy to discuss it in detail with you.

Hoping and wishing you'll like me

Love,

Cit

No homo

Burn the Horse
August 4th, 2011, 06:37 PM
I like The Citadel. one of my customers is a big fan and he has tons of stuff around his place with the blue and white. cool logos, and on top of that a service academy. always gotta pull for the troops.

Burn the Horse
August 4th, 2011, 06:38 PM
i'm not here to talk politics.

citdog
August 4th, 2011, 06:41 PM
I like The Citadel. one of my customers is a big fan and he has tons of stuff around his place with the blue and white. cool logos, and on top of that a service academy. always gotta pull for the troops.

And there I was about to SERIOUSLY consider dbacking you and you HAD to go and RUIN it by calling us a "service academy".

How I really hate you.

whoanellie
August 4th, 2011, 06:48 PM
okay warhorse since you like a rushing offense you might like the ankle biters from Wofford. It's a wing-bone offense and they have a solid history. My Elon team has split the last 4 regular games and a hail mary pass beat us last year after an inspired come back. I'm getting nauseus again. Good luck

Burn the Horse
August 4th, 2011, 06:50 PM
And there I was about to SERIOUSLY consider dbacking you and you HAD to go and RUIN it by calling us a "service academy".

How I really hate you.

my apologies. what is it The Citadel is called? how is The Citadel different from West Point, Annapolis, and the Air Force Academy?

Burn the Horse
August 4th, 2011, 06:51 PM
I am a great admirer of our fighting men and women. they deserve to be thanked every day.

citdog
August 4th, 2011, 07:00 PM
my apologies. what is it The Citadel is called? how is The Citadel different from West Point, Annapolis, and the Air Force Academy?

So boys what do you think should I answer this question of how is The Citadel different from hudson high school, canoe u, and the colorado springs golf instruction school or should I leave it alone and let our friend Appaholic crush this, for him, schmeckle high hanging curveball?

jmufan999
August 4th, 2011, 08:38 PM
tell me more about JMU though. mascot, colors, location, offensive philosophy. I know nothing about yall.

Mascot - Dukes (bulldog)
Colors - purple/gold
Location - Harrisonburg, VA
Offense? Our offense is definitely offensive, that's for sure. Seriously though, we mimic an offense every few years. in 2007-08 it was WVU's spread. It was Nevada's pistol last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see some up-tempo Oregon type stuff this year. Our coach is very willing to mix it up on a yearly basis and he'll go with whatever's hot in FBS running games.
*we're building a new stadium which has a thread on AGS somewhere but I'm too lazy to post a link*

straightshooter
August 4th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Just go to www.youtube.com and type in Georgia Southern football. You can judge how the Eagles run the ball, and you might see some nasty defense too.

DFW HOYA
August 4th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Mercer could use some extra support in a couple of years.

Bogus Megapardus
August 4th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Why not Harvard (http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/fball/index)? You'd surprise the ish out of everyone down there. Many southerners have heard of it, and some might even know where it is.

http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/fball/2010-11/photos/FBL_0910_Ortiz_Josue_Lafayette_008_story.jpg?max_w idth=619&max_height=371&crop=true

Harvard is earning more and more respect lately. Some are even beginning to call it "The Georgia State of the North." You can order all your exceptional Harvard gear here (http://store.thecoop.com/), just in time for kickoff.

Tod
August 4th, 2011, 09:06 PM
I'd choose a team that is not currently considering a move to FBS. JMU, App. State, GSU... I think they're all considering a move, but I could be wrong. Don't know if that list is complete, either.

TheRevSFA
August 4th, 2011, 09:34 PM
You should go for the Nicholls State Colonels...no one else really does...

R3TRO
August 4th, 2011, 10:06 PM
You could choose UNH.. so I can have a fellow UNH fan in the area. Also, i'm starting my masters through Troy. xthumbsupx

LeadBolt
August 5th, 2011, 03:29 AM
I really like the mascot "Tribe." that is really cool.

W&M was formerly the Indians. Had to give that mascot up due to the PC police at NCAA and became the Tribe. It's kind of funny because part of the original mission was to educate Indians (as they were known then) or Native Americans (as they are known now). When I was there the chief of the local Tribe still exchanged gifts with the College President every year around Thanksgiving. I don't know if they still do. The building that was the "Indian College" way back when is still in use.

Recently the school adopted the Griffin as a mascot, even though the teams are still known as the Tribe.

The colors are green, gold and silver, although silver is seldom seen.

The school is located in Williamsburg, VA and is a relatively small state supported university with approx. 5,850 undergraduates and 2,000 graduate students. It is the second oldest college in the nation, after Harvard. It generally shows up as one of the best values in higher education in publications.

The offensive philosophy is to run a balanced offense from multiple pro-sets with rushing and passing yards usually about the same.

Coach Laycocke was a QB @ W&M under Marv Levy and Lou Holtz in the late 60's, and returned in 1980 as head coach and has been there ever since. He has won 208 games at W&M and has taken them to the FCS semi-finals in 2004 and 2009.

W&M competes in the CAA, although it was in the SoCon for 41 years including when I was there. We would be honored if you would consider adopting us as your FCS team.

dgtw
August 5th, 2011, 03:38 AM
I liked Holtz's comment about his team there. "We need more Williams and fewer Marys".

LeadBolt
August 5th, 2011, 03:45 AM
I liked Holtz's comment about his team there. "We need more Williams and fewer Marys".

Yeah, he is a card. W&M was still playing people like, Va Tech, WVU, UMD, NC State, and Vandy when he was there. I once heard him say he didn't have enough good athletes to play both offense and defense @ W&M, so he choose to put most of them on offense, because that sold tickets.

After losses we used to say that Mary put up a hell'uva fight, but William overslept and missed the game...

pike51
August 5th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Guys... he is a Troy fan. Therefore there is only one option for him. Georgia State! :) I think they'd go very well together!

JaxSinfonian
August 5th, 2011, 06:57 AM
yeah that's a big negatory ghost writer on Jacksonville State. they don't deserve the fans they have, let alone a Trojan! any team I consider must be outside the Great State of Alabama.

I guess a Troy fan needs to have other teams he can turn to, since his own isn't enough to keep him satisfied.

I pull for just two teams: the Jacksonville State Gamecocks, and whoever is beating the crap out of Troy.

(So, it's usually just JSU lately.)

Welcome to AGS.

Burn the Horse
August 5th, 2011, 06:57 AM
W&M was formerly the Indians. Had to give that mascot up due to the PC police at NCAA and became the Tribe. It's kind of funny because part of the original mission was to educate Indians (as they were known then) or Native Americans (as they are known now). When I was there the chief of the local Tribe still exchanged gifts with the College President every year around Thanksgiving. I don't know if they still do. The building that was the "Indian College" way back when is still in use.

Recently the school adopted the Griffin as a mascot, even though the teams are still known as the Tribe.

The colors are green, gold and silver, although silver is seldom seen.

The school is located in Williamsburg, VA and is a relatively small state supported university with approx. 5,850 undergraduates and 2,000 graduate students. It is the second oldest college in the nation, after Harvard. It generally shows up as one of the best values in higher education in publications.

The offensive philosophy is to run a balanced offense from multiple pro-sets with rushing and passing yards usually about the same.

Coach Laycocke was a QB @ W&M under Marv Levy and Lou Holtz in the late 60's, and returned in 1980 as head coach and has been there ever since. He has won 208 games at W&M and has taken them to the FCS semi-finals in 2004 and 2009.

W&M competes in the CAA, although it was in the SoCon for 41 years including when I was there. We would be honored if you would consider adopting us as your FCS team.

I think I'll choose three teams. One will definitly be William and Mary. I actually visited W&M as a young boy on a family trip to Williamsburg. It was beautiful!

So I've made my choices.

1.) William and Marry
2.) Deleware
3.) UNH (in honor of R3tro)

I hope I've made good choices.

R3tro, please come visit gotroytrojans.com and join the site. if you are associated in any ways with the Trojans we want to welcome you to the family. I go by the same name there, shoot me a refereal if you join. I'll make sure you are welcomed properly.

Burn the Horse
August 5th, 2011, 06:58 AM
now, who wants to send me a tshirt? LoL

Burn the Horse
August 5th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Could someone hook me up with the codes for the user bar for W&M?

I am going to be a big fan of the Tribe if I stick around here too long. ;)

NHwildEcat
August 5th, 2011, 07:13 AM
I think I'll choose three teams. One will definitly be William and Mary. I actually visited W&M as a young boy on a family trip to Williamsburg. It was beautiful!

So I've made my choices.

1.) William and Marry
2.) Deleware
3.) UNH (in honor of R3tro)

I hope I've made good choices.

R3tro, please come visit gotroytrojans.com and join the site. if you are associated in any ways with the Trojans we want to welcome you to the family. I go by the same name there, shoot me a refereal if you join. I'll make sure you are welcomed properly.

You can't go better then the best conference in the FCS...#3 is always a consistent threat.

Burn the Horse
August 5th, 2011, 07:15 AM
You can't go better then the best conference in the FCS...#3 is always a consistent threat.

i'm excited to watch UNH this coming season.

how can I watch these three teams each week? is there a website that airs these FCS games?

NHwildEcat
August 5th, 2011, 07:20 AM
i'm excited to watch UNH this coming season.

how can I watch these three teams each week? is there a website that airs these FCS games?

Someone else can hopefully answer that for you...I usually either attend the games, or catch them on the local broadcast...more then half of our games end up on TV up here...the CAA has a great deal with Comcast to air games along the east coast. I do know that the first weekend of the season (if you have CBS college sports network) that Delaware is playing Navy that Saturday on their network. ESPN3 also picks up a few games here or there at the beginning of the season.

Burn the Horse
August 5th, 2011, 08:11 AM
ok thanks man.

FYI, if anyone is interested, Troy has a bunch of games on ESPN3 this season.

dgtw
August 5th, 2011, 08:14 AM
I don't know if you were here when this was discussed, but PBS will carry the SoCon game of the week, but the Alabama PBS network isn't planning to carry it at this time.

Silenoz
August 5th, 2011, 11:35 AM
What about North Alabama?

Burn the Horse
August 5th, 2011, 11:36 AM
well that's too bad. sometimes games come on CSS and I always watch those, but I have no control over who I'm watching.

poly51
August 5th, 2011, 01:29 PM
I know you have made your choices but you could change your mind. I would suggest you pick Cal Poly as your FCS team.

Reasons to pick Cal Poly:

I know we are not from the Southeast but we are a little southeast of Nome. (That sounds familiar).
We do run the triple option.
We have played football in Troy. (September 3, 2005). Lost to Troy 10-27.
35 All sports National Champiomships. Football 1980.
We have beat Montana
We have beat Boise State (In their 1-AA Championship year)
We have beat San Diego State twice in the 2000s.
John Madden is a Poly grad.
Wierd Al is a Poly grad.
It will give you a team to root for in the Big Sky. (starting next year.)
Our grads make more money 10 years after graduation than any other FCS school. (per Forbes Magazine.)
The largest State University in California. (9600+ acres.)
Probably the only University in the US with it's own Railroad (Swanton Pacific) and ocean pier. (Port San Luis.)

If you need more reasons I can give you more.

Burn the Horse
August 5th, 2011, 01:31 PM
i was at that game when yall came to Troy. we were originally scheduled to play Iowa State but they backed out on us after we beat Mizzou the previous season. they didn't want to get stomped like the Tigers did.

813Jag
August 5th, 2011, 03:07 PM
ECB in full effect

darell1976
August 5th, 2011, 03:18 PM
How about the University of North Dakota. We are new to the FCS world. We are playoff eligible next season, and have been invited into the Big Sky Conference starting next July. Our games are televised nationwide on Fox College Sports (if you have satalite). We have the second most hockey championships, and a DII football national title (2001) under our belts; but hope to make some noise in the FCS. We just need to get past our controversal nickname (Fighting Sioux) which will be decided next week. So welcome aboard BTH and glad you found us.

NHwildEcat
August 5th, 2011, 03:22 PM
How about the University of North Dakota. We are new to the FCS world. We are playoff eligible next season, and have been invited into the Big Sky Conference starting next July. Our games are televised nationwide on Fox College Sports (if you have satalite). We have the second most hockey championships, and a DII football national title (2001) under our belts; but hope to make some noise in the FCS. We just need to get past our controversal nickname (Fighting Sioux) which will be decided next week. So welcome aboard BTH and glad you found us.

I see no controversy in your nickname...such PC horse****.

darell1976
August 5th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I see no controversy in your nickname...such PC horse****.

Too bad you weren't in charge of the NCAA then this policy would be gone and a lot of teams would have their old names (and feather) back.

NHwildEcat
August 5th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Too bad you weren't in charge of the NCAA then this policy would be gone and a lot of teams would have their old names (and feather) back.

If I were in charge, there would be a lot of changes at the NCAA...but that organization is more messed up then the federal gov.

Burn the Horse
August 5th, 2011, 05:32 PM
If I were in charge, there would be a lot of changes at the NCAA...but that organization is more messed up then the federal gov.

amen to that.

the Cartels...err, BCS AQ Conferences...have kept everyone down both mid-major and FCS alike. it's so blatant that if it were in the business realm the government would step in and hang somebody.