PDA

View Full Version : Williams: Keep Doing Business this Way, SWAC out of Business

TexasTerror
August 4th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Been a very rough offseason for the SWAC and Doug Williams - Grambling legend and current head coach - summed it up that if they keep doing business the way they are, they'll be out of business.

Williams quote to close the article eludes to the fact that all conferences have ups and downs (no questions there) and that the SWAC can learn from these down times...

Doug Williams returned to his alma mater, Grambling State, for a second stint as head football coach earlier this year to find the Southwestern Athletic Conference seemingly encountering one problem after another.

"If we keep doing business the way we've done it, we are going to put ourselves right out of business," Williams said last month at SWAC media day in Birmingham, Ala.

Since January, the SWAC has faced a wide range of indiscretions that include a current NCAA investigation into the Texas Southern football and men's basketball programs and postseason bans for three schools because of poor academic performances. In two other embarrassing instances, a former football coach sued — and won — a lawsuit for wrongful termination and an athletic director at another SWAC school was arrested for allegedly soliciting a prostitute.

Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/7682710.html#ixzz1U3oCu51V

crossfire07
August 4th, 2011, 05:10 PM
"Southern became the first NCAA program to be banned from the postseason in two sports (football and men's basketball) in the same year because of low APR scores.

The APR "sends a clear message that we must and will improve," Southern chancellor Kofi Lomotey said in a statement at the time, adding that the school plans to track athletes in the classroom to "correct some behaviors that have landed Southern University in this unenviable position."

Shouldn't they have been tracking them to begin with?

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 4th, 2011, 05:31 PM
The two SWAC/Southern haters back at it. Didnt McNeese just have APR troubles. Pete is no longer the coach, Lomotey is no longer the chancellor, and Lefluer is no longer AD. SU had 25 football players with 3.0 or better. We wont have APR troubles in the future.

TexasTerror
August 4th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Crossfire -

Southern did not have the finances in place to have an academic individual to track things. They're very cash-strapped and have one of the highest student athletic fees in the country, which practically just keep their doors open at the Division I level - nothing more.

Their premiere sport of baseball can not even deliver on promises to a coach who has had more success than any current coach in the league (minus the Alabama A&M volleyball coach). Of course, they never had to make those promises, but were caught with their pants down around the ankle after he pulled a quick one on them with the help of several members of the Louisiana Black Caucus. A favor to get a friend a raise.

If Southern didn't pay their coaches outrageous salaries, perhaps they wouldn't get so complacent and their would be more resources around in Baton Rouge.

crossfire07
August 4th, 2011, 08:32 PM
The two SWAC/Southern haters back at it. Didnt McNeese just have APR troubles. Pete is no longer the coach, Lomotey is no longer the chancellor, and Lefluer is no longer AD. SU had 25 football players with 3.0 or better. We wont have APR troubles in the future.
Yet another word not in my vocabulary. I may not like things but I know nothing about hate so therefore I never use it. I merely asked a question as to why they was not already keeping up with their business. Yes, McNeese had APR violations but we were not banned from anything. Much less 2 sports.

FormerPokeCenter
August 4th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Actually, you guys forget that Southern had the chick in the transcript office changing grades for players just a few years ago....I'm sure this is a long time, chronic problem that's only come home to roost NOW that Southern doesnt' have that asset in place anymore! ;)

Southern was doing so good when John Belton, former Cowboy Linebacker, was on the Board of Regents and could show you guys how to behave honorably. After he left, it's been all down hill! ;)

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 4th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Actually, you guys forget that Southern had the chick in the transcript office changing grades for players just a few years ago....I'm sure this is a long time, chronic problem that's only come home to roost NOW that Southern doesnt' have that asset in place anymore! ;)

Southern was doing so good when John Belton, former Cowboy Linebacker, was on the Board of Regents and could show you guys how to behave honorably. After he left, it's been all down hill! ;)

Floyd Kerr was the reason SU Athletics Department was ranked #131st in the country. I think Belton went to SU's Law school, but I dont think his stay on SU's board was long at all. No one changed grades for players. A lie is nothing to tell for some of you folks. SMH.

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 4th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Crossfire -

Southern did not have the finances in place to have an academic individual to track things. They're very cash-strapped and have one of the highest student athletic fees in the country, which practically just keep their doors open at the Division I level - nothing more.

Their premiere sport of baseball can not even deliver on promises to a coach who has had more success than any current coach in the league (minus the Alabama A&M volleyball coach). Of course, they never had to make those promises, but were caught with their pants down around the ankle after he pulled a quick one on them with the help of several members of the Louisiana Black Caucus. A favor to get a friend a raise.

If Southern didn't pay their coaches outrageous salaries, perhaps they wouldn't get so complacent and their would be more resources around in Baton Rouge.
You do not know what you speak of. You just assume and post lol. Sad

number1
August 5th, 2011, 03:03 AM

If you are going to try and defame, at least use some facts. That is an outright lie. If we had football players getting grade changes, don't you think the NCAA would have punished us severely for cheating? Think before you type.

citdog
August 5th, 2011, 03:35 AM
Rest assured gentlemen that whatever problems existed in the football program at Southern U will be solved by Stump Mitchell. He may or may not win enough to keep the job but he WILL run a clean program and will have no tolerance for any bull****.

superman7515
August 5th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Rest assured gentlemen that whatever problems existed in the football program at Southern U will be solved by Stump Mitchell. He may or may not win enough to keep the job but he WILL run a clean program and will have no tolerance for any bull****.

Could someone please look into who hacked Citdog's account? I'd hate to come on here one day to find I'd said something nice about Villanova.

TexasTerror
August 5th, 2011, 07:31 AM
You do not know what you speak of. You just assume and post lol. Sad

Sorry, I do not fall for the lies and misinformation. Considering I saw and heard things first-hand, which is a lot more than you did - I'm pretty sure you can just assume all you want. Even the media knew what was happening - political ploy to get a raise for a buddy.

Living in Louisiana - particularly in New Orleans - I see it all the time. Favors by one to help out another, regardless if the favor is right or wrong.

crossfire07
August 5th, 2011, 12:54 PM
No one changed grades for players. A lie is nothing to tell for some of you folks. SMH.

Grade-changing scandal rocks Southern University: former assistant registrar's illegal actions date back to 1995

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0DXK/is_5_21/ai_n6146611/

TheRevSFA
August 5th, 2011, 01:07 PM
It's okay..I hear the WAC is looking for schools :D

Jaguar79
August 5th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Grade-changing scandal rocks Southern University: former assistant registrar's illegal actions date back to 1995

Nowhere in this article does it mention anything about ATHLETES using this guy.

We HAD a problem and corrected it, just like any other school, inclduing McNeese. And this instance has no bearing on what is happening via APR.

Just back away from something you obviously know NOTHING about.

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 5th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Sorry, I do not fall for the lies and misinformation. Considering I saw and heard things first-hand, which is a lot more than you did - I'm pretty sure you can just assume all you want. Even the media knew what was happening - political ploy to get a raise for a buddy.

Living in Louisiana - particularly in New Orleans - I see it all the time. Favors by one to help out another, regardless if the favor is right or wrong.

xlolx Still mad at Cador for not taking the UNO job. You not going to like this but look @ #2.
http://sus.edu/Images/Interior/custom-ftp/board_files/packets/june%202011%20packet/facilities.pdf

citdog
August 5th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Could someone please look into who hacked Citdog's account? I'd hate to come on here one day to find I'd said something nice about Villanova.

Stump Mitchell is a The Citadel Man and gave citdog his first autograph when he was just a cuddly little pup. I admire the man.

TexasTerror
August 5th, 2011, 06:31 PM
xlolx Still mad at Cador for not taking the UNO job. You not going to like this but look @ #2.
http://sus.edu/Images/Interior/custom-ftp/board_files/packets/june%202011%20packet/facilities.pdf

LOL... still believing that he got offered the job? Still believe he got interviewed more than once too, right?

I'm not going to like #2? Why not? If Southern does actually build this... guess we can say, 'Welcome to D1 Baseball'. Hope LSU-Eunice likes playing there... ;)

It'll be a nice upgrade. I'm sure the guys would appreciate an actual batting facility like so many low-to-mid majors instead of using the overpass. So, if he gets the facility - how much longer til he gets the other stuff that he asked for? You can build coaches offices, but if they are just volunteer coaches or part-time assistants, what good does that do?

number1
August 5th, 2011, 10:55 PM

Once again, where do you see any athletes in that situation? Those people were investigated, stripped of their degrees, and dealt with by the courts. Had nothing to do with the athletic department. Don't you think if the athletic department had a grade changing scandal that the NCAA would have stepped in?

TexasTerror
August 8th, 2011, 03:26 PM
The Williams quote is evidently a bit dated by a few weeks... this Jackson State writer covers it a few weeks back plus many of the problems within the league.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20110720/COL0504/107200325/SWAC-has-whole-lot-work-do-new-season-approaches?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|p

McNeese75
August 8th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Geeeeeeeeeeeeeez, come on 26 more days

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 8th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Geeeeeeeeeeeeeez, come on 26 more daysxlolx I agree

Jaguar79
August 9th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Man, if the SLC shuts down before the SWAC, what will this man do?

TexasTerror
August 19th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Faculty want the $$$ that Southern provides to athletics eliminated... guess Southern does get some money on top of their very outrageous student fee that numbers close to $500 per student. Thought the number was closer to non-existant, but it is over a half million dollars...

What will it take for Southern to increase its revenues to make this $600k not needed in the future? Will success with football make that much of a difference?

Faculty also complained Thursday about the university subsidy that helps the struggling athletic department increasing by $625,000 this year, even with student athletic fees increasing this fall.

Llorens said the athletic department must improve and increase its revenues. But he said the extra subsidy is needed for now.

“If we eliminate athletics, I shudder to think about the impact on enrollment,” he said.

Southern is in its third year of reduced funding from state government. The university has been affected by budget problems more than most colleges because Southern also has lost revenue from its declining enrollment.

http://theadvocate.com/news/education/628180-64/su-furlough-request-vote-rejected.html

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 20th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Faculty want the $$$ that Southern provides to athletics eliminated... guess Southern does get some money on top of their very outrageous student fee that numbers close to $500 per student. Thought the number was closer to non-existant, but it is over a half million dollars...

What will it take for Southern to increase its revenues to make this $600k not needed in the future? Will success with football make that much of a difference?

http://theadvocate.com/news/education/628180-64/su-furlough-request-vote-rejected.html

Greg Lafleur. Now that he is gone, that wont happen again. All the other schools not named LSU uses millions in state funds. Did you notice Cador got his pitching coach.

TexasTerror
August 20th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Greg Lafleur. Now that he is gone, that wont happen again. All the other schools not named LSU uses millions in state funds. Did you notice Cador got his pitching coach.

Was Southern running in the black prior to Greg LaFleur?

Weren't they also more successful in football pre-LaFleur?

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 20th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Was Southern running in the black prior to Greg LaFleur?

Weren't they also more successful in football pre-LaFleur?

Yes, way in the Black. Before Lafleur SU won every ALL Sports Title since the SWAC started the award. SU was also ranked the 131st ranked athletic department in the country by Sports Illustrated, Kerr last season. Kerr, while he was SU's AD, was ranked in the top 50 most powerful minoritys in Sports by SI. Not that Lafleur is gone things are 100000% better. You will see the results on the field across the board in all sports starting this season. xnodx

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 20th, 2011, 07:22 PM

Also the faculty is being selfish. Everyone else has took cuts. The students, administration, and alumni has all stepped up. Time for them to do their part also.

TexasTerror
August 20th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Also the faculty is being selfish. Everyone else has took cuts. The students, administration, and alumni has all stepped up. Time for them to do their part also.

Southern is the only school that has had that many furloughs. The institution clearly has some serious financial issues - but why the enrollment drop? Are the new admission standards making it difficult for Southern? I know they are in the bottom tier of admissions in the state with all other schools (besides LSU, LTU, ULL and UNO) - but they seem to be getting the brunt of the enrollment drops.

Yes, way in the Black. Before Lafleur SU won every ALL Sports Title since the SWAC started the award. SU was also ranked the 131st ranked athletic department in the country by Sports Illustrated, Kerr last season. Kerr, while he was SU's AD, was ranked in the top 50 most powerful minoritys in Sports by SI. Not that Lafleur is gone things are 100000% better. You will see the results on the field across the board in all sports starting this season. xnodx

How much of that has to do with the coaches hired under the watch of LaFleur versus the changing dynamic of HBCU/SWAC athletics?

ursus arctos horribilis
August 20th, 2011, 08:25 PM
TT, I need an answer on the UTSA thing so please respond to that....

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 21st, 2011, 07:32 PM
Southern is the only school that has had that many furloughs. The institution clearly has some serious financial issues - but why the enrollment drop? Are the new admission standards making it difficult for Southern? I know they are in the bottom tier of admissions in the state with all other schools (besides LSU, LTU, ULL and UNO) - but they seem to be getting the brunt of the enrollment drops.

How much of that has to do with the coaches hired under the watch of LaFleur versus the changing dynamic of HBCU/SWAC athletics?

Every school in this state are having financial issues, so dont come on here pretending like this is a SU only situation. Admission standards killed a large portion of potential SU students. Louisiana school system isnt doing a great job in preparing kids point blank. Also a large percentage of SU students are non traditional student. Most have to work either full time and part time to pay their way thru school, thus its going to take longer than the normal student to graduate. Yet the state penalizes SU funding for not graduating students in a certain time period, which is bs by the way. There was a stat that came out during the SUNO/UNO merger attempt. SUNO graduated 400 plus students in the spring,but only 2% counted towards the school graduation rate.

TexasTerror
August 22nd, 2011, 06:27 AM
Every school in this state are having financial issues, so dont come on here pretending like this is a SU only situation.

I'm just stating that Southern tends to rely more on furloughs than the other schools, regardless of financial issues. That really impacts faculty/staff morale in a big way. The article did state Southern is feeling the pinch more than the other schools in the state, but if the cuts keep coming... I just do not see how athletics at the different FCS schools in the state, in particular, will be able to manage. That is, unless they charge Southern-like athletic fees and follow that model of funding.

Admission standards killed a large portion of potential SU students. Louisiana school system isnt doing a great job in preparing kids point blank. Also a large percentage of SU students are non traditional student. Most have to work either full time and part time to pay their way thru school, thus its going to take longer than the normal student to graduate. Yet the state penalizes SU funding for not graduating students in a certain time period, which is bs by the way. There was a stat that came out during the SUNO/UNO merger attempt. SUNO graduated 400 plus students in the spring,but only 2% counted towards the school graduation rate.

Everyone has some disgruntlement over the graduation rate formula, but from what I gather, it is the same one used nationally. It is not the best measure by a long shot since students today are so much different and there are increasing amount of non-traditionals as you noted. There's another formula that faculty around the state are pushing as the one they would prefer funding to be based off. It increases the percentages at all schools, but remembering formulas in school is not something I excelled at!

Jaguar79
August 22nd, 2011, 12:55 PM
TillIDie forgot to mention that BRCC has taken a number of traditional Southern students as well because of lower tuition there and higher standards at Southern.

We are on the way to recovery, but Jindal has definitely not done us any favors, as your SLC brothers in Louisiana can attest to.

TexasTerror
August 22nd, 2011, 12:57 PM
First SWACident of the year...

Jackson State cancelled a soccer game (http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/081811aaa.html) last minute on Lamar. JSU had a release on August 8th indicating (http://jsutigers.cstv.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/080911aaa.html) the game was to take place.

Very curious to find out why this occurred... it's not like the JSU girls were not already on campus...

According to Big Red Insider, Jackson State pulled out three days before the first kick...

TillIDie forgot to mention that BRCC has taken a number of traditional Southern students as well because of lower tuition there and higher standards at Southern. We are on the way to recovery, but Jindal has definitely not done us any favors, as your SLC brothers in Louisiana can attest to.

Do you feel Southern should've been forced to raise their academic standards? Or should they have been exempt from what the rest of the Universities are doing? Southern and Grambling are still in the lowest tier - along with the SLC schools - when it comes to admission minimums, but I guess higher education in general takes it toll.

Four-year institutions are going to have to get more JC/CC transfers in general - but that does not count towards graduation rates!

Jaguar79
August 22nd, 2011, 01:07 PM
First SWACident of the year...

Jackson State cancelled a soccer game (http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/081811aaa.html) last minute on Lamar. JSU had a release on August 8th indicating (http://jsutigers.cstv.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/080911aaa.html) the game was to take place.

Very curious to find out why this occurred... it's not like the JSU girls were not already on campus...

According to Big Red Insider, Jackson State pulled out three days before the first kick...

Do you feel Southern should've been forced to raise their academic standards? Or should they have been exempt from what the rest of the Universities are doing? Southern and Grambling are still in the lowest tier - along with the SLC schools - when it comes to admission minimums, but I guess higher education in general takes it toll.

Four-year institutions are going to have to get more JC/CC transfers in general - but that does not count towards graduation rates!

I believe all of the Louisiana schools should have had to increase their standards. Ours, however, was the ONLY one coupled with a new school opening nearby.

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2011, 07:32 AM
I guess this is something that Williams can question... the SWAC Championship Trophy hitting the road and visiting a game between two schools who are ineligible!

The trophy will be Southern v Jackson State this weekend...

The 2011 version of the SWAC mobile marketing tour, now the Verizon SWAC Trophy Tour, will be hitting SWAC campuses this fall leading to the 2011 Farmers Insurance SWAC Football Championship Game.

SWAC fans, keep an eye out for the SWAC vehicle and promotional tent at all of these conference football games this fall. The marketing tour includes giveaways and your chance to have your picture taken with the Eddie Robinson Trophy that will be awarded on the Legion Field turf following the championship game on December 10 in Birmingham.

http://www.swac.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27400&ATCLID=205270816