PDA

View Full Version : NDSU gets record number of televised games for 2011

DJKyR0
August 1st, 2011, 10:45 PM
http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205235677&DB_OEM_ID=2400

Cool deal for Bison football, a game on the Big Ten Network, Fox College Sports, and two on ESPN3. Plenty of North Dakota saturation with the connection with North Dakota NBC. NDSU needs to continue to foster a strong relationship with western North Dakota, tons of money out there and fans looking for a football team and university to support.

Gil Dobie
August 2nd, 2011, 06:54 AM
Wish we had more coverage in the Twin Cities. The Gopher game will be about it though.

EdubAlum
August 2nd, 2011, 08:02 AM
Ndsu will still sell out the home games even if they're televised right? Ten games on TV, that is awesome. Ewu fans outside of the spokane area are relegated to watching the games over the internet.

Franks Tanks
August 2nd, 2011, 08:11 AM
Lafayette has all of our games televised, so NDSU will be on all over the East Coast as well. Eastern Pa, Western NJ, NYC, DC -Maryland, and parts of New England get all Lafayette games, so that will be a new market for NDSU.

superman7515
August 2nd, 2011, 08:20 AM
Internet streaming (ESPN3) is not "televised". From Merriam & Webster: to broadcast (as a baseball game) by television.

bjtheflamesfan
August 2nd, 2011, 08:25 AM
With the movement of streaming events on the internet (and the blending of the different media) that definition is not as black and white as it was even a few years ago superman

johnson
August 2nd, 2011, 09:38 AM
Ndsu will still sell out the home games even if they're televised right? Ten games on TV, that is awesome. Ewu fans outside of the spokane area are relegated to watching the games over the internet.
NDSU has six home games this year. This first game vs. Lafayette is the only regular season game not covered. The first game of the season always has a good turnout and with it not being on TV it should only increase the chance of a sellout. Homecoming is another game that will have high attendance numbers regardless of TV coverage. That leaves 4 more games to sell tickets for and UNI is one of those games. If NDSU is having a good year the other 3 games won't be a problem. The conference learned a lesson last year about scheduling an NDSU game in Fargo over deer hunting opener. That mistake led to NDSU selling just shy of 13,000 tickets that weekend. That game hurt the season attendance average last year which I believe was just below 16,000.

Redbird Ray
August 2nd, 2011, 01:47 PM
I love it when Packers fans wear their bright orange hunting gear to Lambeau in november. NDSU should embrace the area's hunting culture as well. Maybe give discounts to specific hunting groups or something.

Does North Dakota typically engage in the same kind of hunting as Wisconsinites do? (I live in a 35 story high rise in Chicago and do not own a car, so needless to say I know pretty much nothing about killing animals, just curious about Dakotan culture)

TheBisonator
August 2nd, 2011, 02:06 PM
One or two of the ESPN3 games may also be shown on one of those DirecTV 600 channel alternates, so DirecTV/Dish subscribers may also get to watch the games on TV.

Every Bison football game has been available online for at least the past few years in a row now.

Bogus Megapardus
August 2nd, 2011, 02:12 PM
The September 3, 2011 game vs. Lafayette will be available live to about 31 million people in the northeast as well - over the air, via satellite and via cable. This will be of interest to folks who read the very complimentary article about NDSU in the Wall Street Journal (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304231204576406042109860376.html).

EDIT - props to Tanks who already took care of this, ibid.

TheBisonator
August 2nd, 2011, 02:23 PM
The September 3, 2011 game vs. Lafayette will be available live to about 31 million people in the northeast as well - over the air, via satellite and via cable. This will be of interest to folks who read the very complimentary article about NDSU in the Wall Street Journal (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304231204576406042109860376.html).

That article drew the wrath of a lot of UND boosters cause it was too "NDSU-centered". :D

In truth though, I can see why it's NDSU-centered. We're the largest university in the state, and the fastest growing.

DJKyR0
August 2nd, 2011, 02:26 PM
Does North Dakota typically engage in the same kind of hunting as Wisconsinites do? (I live in a 35 story high rise in Chicago and do not own a car, so needless to say I know pretty much nothing about killing animals, just curious about Dakotan culture)

Bigtime. I grew up in a town of around 50 people (if you can call that a town) in the middle of nowhere, North Dakota, and the co-op high school we all went to considered hunting opener a holiday. I've had classes that Friday in college that are 1/3 full with everyone gone to their hunting grounds of choice. The home game on opening weekend was a huge fail; I happened to be on the broadcast team for campus radio and had a bird's eye view of the 500 or so students that were there.

crossfire07
August 2nd, 2011, 02:37 PM
What was the normal start time for your games and what will be the start times now for tv?

Bogus Megapardus
August 2nd, 2011, 02:37 PM
That article drew the wrath of a lot of UND boosters cause it was too "NDSU-centered". :D

In truth though, I can see why it's NDSU-centered. We're the largest university in the state, and the fastest growing.

From an outsider's point of view, it drew attention to the State of North Dakota in general. To me, it reflected positively on UND, NDSU, and all the other members of the state university system. I would challenge anyone suggesting that UND suffered any sort of slight. It was quite to the contrary.

Again, I say this as an outsider and a daily subscriber to the Wall Street Journal - and as somebody who has never been to North Dakota (I've been to Minneapolis, Sioux Falls and Winnipeg, but never to North Dakota) - the article was very positive to all the institutions of higher education in North Dakota, without discrimination.

I am looking forward very much to my first trip to Fargo next month - and to poking a friendly jibe or two (through my avatars) at Lafayette's first-ever Dakotan opponents in the meantime.

Bogus Megapardus
August 2nd, 2011, 02:48 PM
What was the normal start time for your games and what will be the start times now for tv?

All Lafayette broadcasts are carried live. Then they're carried at least once on tape delay, usually on the following Tuesday or Wednesday. If you post here near game time, someone ought to be able to tell you exactly when and where the game will be broadcast.

Also, every game is streamed live in VERY high quality on the internet. The streams meet ESPN broadcast standards with six HD cameras, instant replay, professional announcers, etc. Look on the Lafayette Board (http://lafayettesports.myfreeforum.org/index.php) for stream information near the day of the game.

Plug your laptop into your flat screen television and you can't tell the difference between the stream and a live ESPN broadcast, trust me.

EDIT:

Internet streaming (ESPN3) is not "televised". From Merriam & Webster: to broadcast (as a baseball game) by television.

Under this definition, the NDSU-Lafayette game will be "broadcast" since I can pick it up on television with my old-fashioned rabbit ear antenna 45 miles away. Add this one to the list.

NDSUFREAK
August 2nd, 2011, 02:59 PM
This bodes well for me since I will only be able to make it to one home game this year! However I'll be smack dab in the center of the UofM student section wearing my NDSU apparel cheering for the BISON :)

frozennorth
August 2nd, 2011, 03:36 PM
being the primetime game on the big ten network is pretty cool too. The NDSU/gopher game is currently roughly tied with nebraska as the most expensive gopher home game. (and this UND student is going xthumbsupx)

frozennorth
August 2nd, 2011, 03:40 PM

the article could have been harder on UND if it wanted to, i believe on campus enrollment is slowly declining. Supposedly over 30% of the schools reported students are now correspondence students. In my grad program, we had 5 on campus, and 50 online students. The state still gives us all the money to blow on nice new (unnecessary) facilities though, and NDSU gets to be the red-headed stepchild of north dakota politics.

frozennorth
August 2nd, 2011, 04:12 PM
new slightly related blog post/news article on from the forum.
http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2011/08/02/season-tix-at-9300-what-if-georgia-southern-hadnt-bailed/

At this rate, NDSU may be getting closer to that run of sellouts of 2007 and 2008. Season tickets have increased to 9,300 with a month to go before the season opener against Lafayette. It probably would have been more had Georgia Southern not canceled out of the Sept. 10 game leaving the Bison to schedule St. Francis.

from the news piece.
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/329097/group/homepage/

Fresh off a run in the Division I Football Championship Subdivision playoffs, NDSU ticket manager Josh Hemingway said the number of season tickets sold has hit 9,300, an increase of just over 200 from last year.
The 9,300 is about where NDSU was two years ago. But the Bison also went 3-8 in 2009 and the season ticket sales were not as strong last year.

Two things stick out at me. 1) why and when did georgia southern bail? 2) are NDSU's attendance figures really that good for fcs? I'd always figured they were around average.

THE HERD
August 3rd, 2011, 09:10 AM
Southern bought out the game to take a home game against a patsy and NDSU generally ranks in the top 10-15 in attendance, so well above average.

darell1976
August 3rd, 2011, 09:47 AM
the article could have been harder on UND if it wanted to, i believe on campus enrollment is slowly declining. Supposedly over 30% of the schools reported students are now correspondence students. In my grad program, we had 5 on campus, and 50 online students. The state still gives us all the money to blow on nice new (unnecessary) facilities though, and NDSU gets to be the red-headed stepchild of north dakota politics.

http://www2.und.nodak.edu/our/news/story.php?id=3185

North Dakota's two research universities are both reporting an increase in first full day enrollment. North Dakota State University officials report that enrollment is 2% higher than last year at this time. University of North Dakota officials say first day numbers are up 6.9% compared to last year. Both universities posted record enrollments over last year’s final numbers. The final enrollment count will come four weeks into the semester.

http://undnews.areavoices.com/2011/02/08/und-posts-largest-ever-spring-enrollment-13458/

The University of North Dakota has posted its largest-ever Spring Semester enrollment. The 13,458 students for the fourth week final snapshot eclipsed last year’s final spring total of 12,733. UND’s third highest spring enrollment number was 12,376 in 2005.

2011 13,458
* 2010 — 12,733
* 2009 — 12,076
* 2008 — 11,847

Where is this decline, and what unnecessary facilities has the state blown money on at UND??

As for the topic: Good for NDSU for gettting coverage outside of the FM, and ND area.xthumbsupx

frozennorth
August 3rd, 2011, 07:40 PM
http://www2.und.nodak.edu/our/news/story.php?id=3185

http://undnews.areavoices.com/2011/02/08/und-posts-largest-ever-spring-enrollment-13458/

Where is this decline, and what unnecessary facilities has the state blown money on at UND??

As for the topic: Good for NDSU for gettting coverage outside of the FM, and ND area.xthumbsupx

You understand what corespondence students are, right? Und has less then 10k students taking classes in actual buildings. As far as wasted money on buildings goes, we have an empty parking ramp, a redundant and inadequate new wellness center, campus place, a new chapel and godawful fountain, have remodeled the copba twice in 6 years, and that doesn't include the way over budget rea and bettyand all sorts of other junk. The first three alone have cost me almost 8k in extra fees. and I almost forgot the 80 extra a semester ive have to pay because UND got scammed by oracle.

darell1976
August 3rd, 2011, 08:01 PM
You understand what corespondence students are, right? Und has less then 10k students taking classes in actual buildings. As far as wasted money on buildings goes, we have an empty parking ramp, a redundant and inadequate new wellness center, campus place, a new chapel and godawful fountain, have remodeled the copba twice in 6 years, and that doesn't include the way over budget rea and bettyand all sorts of other junk. The first three alone have cost me almost 8k in extra fees. and I almost forgot the 80 extra a semester ive have to pay because UND got scammed by oracle.

That was not built with state money. Ralph Engelstad paid 100% of the cost of those buildings.

Gil Dobie
August 4th, 2011, 05:49 AM
That was not built with state money. Ralph Engelstad paid 100% of the cost of those buildings.

Is the Ralph 100% free for UND to use today, all operating cost covered by the Engelstad backing?

darell1976
August 4th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Is the Ralph 100% free for UND to use today, all operating cost covered by the Engelstad backing?

The rent charged to UND is $1.00 since its NOT owned by UND.....for the Bison fans what does Fargo charge NDSU for rent on the dome??

Gil Dobie
August 4th, 2011, 07:38 AM
The rent charged to UND is $1.00 since its NOT owned by UND.....for the Bison fans what does Fargo charge NDSU for rent on the dome??

Nobody was claiming it was 100% free at NDSU. Just curious as to whether UND pays any utility or operating expenses at the Ralph.

darell1976
August 4th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Nobody was claiming it was 100% free at NDSU. Just curious as to whether UND pays any utility or operating expenses at the Ralph.

I am just wondering what the city of Fargo charges NDSU. If its as cheap as a buck or more? I wouldn't think they charge much since NDSU has to be the big money maker for the dome.

Gil Dobie
August 4th, 2011, 09:57 AM
I am just wondering what the city of Fargo charges NDSU. If its as cheap as a buck or more? I wouldn't think they charge much since NDSU has to be the big money maker for the dome.

I don't care if NDSU pays 50 million, what does UND pay?

darell1976
August 4th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I don't care if NDSU pays 50 million, what does UND pay?

xbangxOkay Gil...I said UND pays one dollar a year for rent...and I was wondering what NDSU pays for the dome? If you don't know fine.

johnson
August 4th, 2011, 12:17 PM
xbangxOkay Gil...I said UND pays one dollar a year for rent...and I was wondering what NDSU pays for the dome? If you don't know fine.
The Fargodome leases the land from NDSU for $1 a year. The only thing that I have ever heard about NDSU paying was a percentage of the gate and sales inside the dome during an NDSU game. I haven't heard of an actual "rent" that is charged but that doesn't mean there isn't one. I am assuming the Ralph has a similar agreement with UND.

Gil Dobie
August 4th, 2011, 12:36 PM

I have no clue what they pay, I was not concerned about rent. Just curious if UND pays anything for utilities, maintenance, paying the people that work at the Ralph during UND events etc. I assume it's not 100% free, or covered under the $1.00 rent. You can cover your tracks buy deflecting to the Fargodome all you want, but you haven't answered my question. If you don't know that's fine.

Twentysix
August 4th, 2011, 01:52 PM

I assume this is why the first game is not televised. In or around Fargo. Your team owns media rights.

darell1976
August 4th, 2011, 02:25 PM
I have no clue what they pay, I was not concerned about rent. Just curious if UND pays anything for utilities, maintenance, paying the people that work at the Ralph during UND events etc. I assume it's not 100% free, or covered under the $1.00 rent. You can cover your tracks buy deflecting to the Fargodome all you want, but you haven't answered my question. If you don't know that's fine.

I looked at websites and all I see is the $1.00 rent. I am not sure about the other expenses. I am not sure on your comment about covering my tracks? I was just asking those people who are fans of NDSU if they knew how much NDSU paid for rent. If you don't know thats fine.

frozennorth
August 4th, 2011, 07:13 PM

He gave 100 million, 40 million of which was for scholarships. Not only did the building eat all the intended scholarship money, but the students ended up eating to expenses of the overages over the 100 million.

darell1976
August 4th, 2011, 09:50 PM
He gave 100 million, 40 million of which was for scholarships. Not only did the building eat all the intended scholarship money, but the students ended up eating to expenses of the overages over the 100 million.

How the hell did students end up paying for an arena that was NOT owned by UND?? You know you bash UND for a lot of things but you end up going there as a student? If you hate UND so much why are you there? Or are you even a student and not someone else lurking onto a board with a fake name.

Hammerhead
August 4th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Back on topic... I just signed up for the sports pack on DirecTV to catch a few extra NDSU games as well as FS North.

frozennorth
August 4th, 2011, 11:16 PM
How the hell did students end up paying for an arena that was NOT owned by UND?? You know you bash UND for a lot of things but you end up going there as a student? If you hate UND so much why are you there? Or are you even a student and not someone else lurking onto a board with a fake name.

Yes, everyone who has anything other than fawning, mindless praise for und/hockey must clearly be lakes bison. I believe the way it worked is that the endowment ended up 'investing' in the facility, and student fees were raised to cover the gap in the endowment.

Sorry that I actually want to improve the school, and make it run better and more efficienty. You know, have the school serve the students. Also, I could have sworn just a few days ago I was saying that und had the best campus of the dakota schools. So much for being an anti-und troll.

Btw I went to UND because every single person in my family since we got off the boat went to UND. I graduated in 2009 with a ba in economics. Currently back inschool for ChE.

darell1976
August 5th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Back on topic... I just signed up for the sports pack on DirecTV to catch a few extra NDSU games as well as FS North.

Any idea when NDSU will put some more money in getting their own station to televise games? Since football is the #1 sport at NDSU they need to market it a lot better than in the past.

downbythebeach
August 5th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Is it possible for me to watch the Saint Francis game on any kind of cable/satellite channel from PA?

Anyone know?

DJKyR0
August 5th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Is it possible for me to watch the Saint Francis game on any kind of cable/satellite channel from PA?

Anyone know?

I don't know anything about PA TV, but what I can tell you is that all home games are available as single-game productions on gobison.com. Not sure price-wise, but hook your PC up to an HDMI-capable TV and it's pretty good.

RabidRabbit
August 5th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Watched many a cable game, and NDSU webcast was the closest to SDSU webcast for quality of coverage.

TheRevSFA
August 5th, 2011, 01:11 PM
None of the local stations broadcast? Not trying to say anything bad about North Dakota..but I figure it's the only game in the state on Saturdays...

TheBisonator
August 5th, 2011, 02:03 PM
None of the local stations broadcast? Not trying to say anything bad about North Dakota..but I figure it's the only game in the state on Saturdays...

A lot of NDSU football games are broadcast on statewide NBC. The remainders are on Fox College Sports and Midco SportsNet (which is basically an FSN-style network that covers the Dakotas and some parts of MN. Our broadcasting contracts are kind of cobbled together.

TheRevSFA
August 5th, 2011, 02:09 PM
A lot of NDSU football games are broadcast on statewide NBC. The remainders are on Fox College Sports and Midco SportsNet (which is basically an FSN-style network that covers the Dakotas and some parts of MN. Our broadcasting contracts are kind of cobbled together.

Thanks for the info.

darell1976
August 5th, 2011, 02:42 PM

Not the only game!!;)

No_Skill
August 5th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Not the only game!!;)

...the only one that matters. ;)

darell1976
August 5th, 2011, 05:07 PM

That hurt.xbawlingx

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 6th, 2011, 08:17 AM

Hey come on now.......you can race up to el forko to watch Black Hills State, Montana Western, Sioux Falls and Drake.

That is a much better home schedule than ours...xthumbsupx

darell1976
August 6th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Hey come on now.......you can race up to el forko to watch Black Hills State, Montana Western, Sioux Falls and Drake.

That is a much better home schedule than ours...xthumbsupx

And next year you can see Central Arkansas, Montana and Cal Poly, and in 2013 South Dakota State, Montana State and Eastern Washington....keeps getting better and better.

No_Skill
August 6th, 2011, 03:02 PM
And next year you can see Central Arkansas, Montana and Cal Poly, and in 2013 South Dakota State, Montana State and Eastern Washington....keeps getting better and better.

Technically I could, but much like the rest of grand forks...I won't be watching.

Last jab, I couldn't resist. ;)

darell1976
August 6th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Technically I could, but much like the rest of grand forks...I won't be watching.

Last jab, I couldn't resist. ;)

Maybe not Grand Forks but the rest of the country will be watching on Fox College Sports.xpeacex

TheBisonator
August 6th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Maybe not Grand Forks but the rest of the country will be watching on Fox College Sports.xpeacex

What are those games, like an 0.3 share??

I actually read an article last year that more people around the US were watching PPV movies on one of the 100-level DirecTV channels than UND football games on FCS.

darell1976
August 6th, 2011, 03:25 PM
What are those games, like an 0.3 share??

I actually read an article last year that more people around the US were watching PPV movies on one of the 100-level DirecTV channels than UND football games on FCS.

I also heard that Joe the Plumber was watching UND football in Ohio and not watching NDSU football that can only be seen on the North Dakota NBC network.

TheBisonator
August 6th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I also heard that Joe the Plumber was watching UND football in Ohio and not watching NDSU football that can only be seen on the North Dakota NBC network.

I also heard that Joe The Plumber is a complete retard. So no surprise there.

darell1976
August 6th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I also heard that Joe The Plumber is a complete retard. So no surprise there.

Joe The Plumber's Alma Mater:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/darell1976/NDSU.png

SDFS
August 12th, 2011, 10:58 PM

This is the first time that I have heard that students had to pay for anything related the REA. I believe that original gift would be 100 million in total with 50 million for REA and 50 million directly toward the school. In addition, I believe that he was in discussion with the Medical School to give another 25 to 50 million. The name issue came about, plans changed and REA's design was upgraded to 100 million. REA had cost overruns, but I believe that they were covered by the Engelstad family. I believe the total bill was 104 million for REA.

I believe that UND pays $1 rent for the use of the facility and a portion of ticket sales and concessions. I think that the facility houses mens/womens hockey in the Ralph and mens/womens basketball and volleyball in the Betty. In addition, I believe that REA and UND Athletics have created an operating unit called Fighting Sioux Sports Properties to market athletic events and to sell sponsorship. REA has a number of related entities (RE Arena, Inc., UND Arena Svc Inc, UND Sports Facility, Inc and Arena Holdings Charitable LLC & Affiliates) the purpose and/or relationships to UND or each other is unclear to me. But, I believe that the original agreement was 30 years prior to transfer of ownership.

In 2007, he gave 20 million to the school.

http://www.fightingsioux.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=882277

University of North Dakota officials announced today the donation of $20 million to the university from the Ralph and Betty Engelstad Family Foundation. Engelstad was a former goaltender for the Fighting Sioux men's hockey team. Four million of the gift will be allocated for UND athletics in the form of scholarship endowments. Specific numbers may slightly vary, but the endowment grants $20,000 for athletic scholarships in 2008 and increases to $160,000 by 2017, where it will continue infinitely per year at the standard rate of return.

Of the $20 million gift, $4 million will be designated toward scholarships for underrepresented minority groups in UND’s student body.