PDA

View Full Version : Poll for all GSU, Furman, and App. State fans

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 30th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Was just going to make this for App. State fans, but I've wondered how GSU and Furman fans would answer the question as well.

Fill in the blank...I'm a(n) ____ fan and I consider ___ to be our arch rival.

Apphole
July 30th, 2011, 07:59 PM
I'm an App fan and I consider GaSo to be our arch rival

I-16Bandit
July 30th, 2011, 11:42 PM
I'm a Georgia Southern fan and...

Do I need to say more?

OL FU
July 31st, 2011, 06:05 AM
Shows you how things have changed. I am fairly certain that 5 years ago GSU people would have picked FU. and I think that because of a poll or thread I saw on the GSU message board.

FU, unfortunately, has fallen very quickly off the radar. hopefully Fowler can change that. Also, shows you just how darn strong ASU has been the last 6 years.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 31st, 2011, 06:30 AM
Shows you how things have changed. I am fairly certain that 5 years ago GSU people would have picked FU. and I think that because of a poll or thread I saw on the GSU message board.

FU, unfortunately, has fallen very quickly off the radar. hopefully Fowler can change that. Also, shows you just how darn strong ASU has been the last 6 years.

Probably just a generational thing. Younger GSU fans will say App. and older ones will say Furman.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
July 31st, 2011, 07:07 AM
I am going with Georgia Southern since they have seen some level of resurgence and I think they have what it takes to make a return trip to the playoffs. Furman I think is a year away from the playoffs but I have a feeling they will spoil someone's playoff chances given the right opportunity.

The Eagle's Cliff
July 31st, 2011, 07:54 AM

I had to think about it, but voted for Appy. Furman was our first rival, but App St quickly became a rival. I think the three of us feature each other every year. "Black Saturday" is GSU and Furman in alternating years as GSU's "Blue Out" is App and Furman. Because of the recent down years, GSU has reason to get up for nearly everyone.

OL FU
July 31st, 2011, 09:46 AM
Always one of those things I have a tough time with.

As an oldtimer, The Citadel is certainly a pick, but for way too many years there was no competition and the game lost its umph when it was moved from the last game of the year. Of course recently the Citadel has played us even with each winning at home.

GSU certainly would be the pick for most people ( I think) but honestly that rivalry only has tremendous fire when both teams are at the top of their game.

ASU strangely enough would not be my pick. this series has had some of the best games of any and is always on the top of the list but I don't think it ever hit the top. If Furman could have stayed good after 2005. that might have changed.

Wofford, I still think this is the rivarly of the future for Furman. but for someone like me who has been around forever it is just hard to conceive even though they have certainly been better than us the last 4 years or so.

PaladinNation
July 31st, 2011, 12:49 PM
I'm curious to see how Fowler handles the BIG games (APP, WOFFORD, GSU). I'll be the first to admit Lamb let some of these games get the best of him emotionally. Fowler is not cut from the same cloth, his strength is game prep, organization, discipline. Ex-players that I've talked to that played under Fowler say your not going to out prepare him. I think Fowler will approach these games in a methodical fashion similar to Bobby Johnson's approach. Which I hope will result in a less emotional driven team.

Not sure Furman will be the hated rival for GSU, APP, and Wofford this season but give Fowler another year and I think Furman will be back, earning some healthy hatred.

Smitty
July 31st, 2011, 12:50 PM
Man how far we have fallen if WCU isn't considered App St arch rival...

Apphole
July 31st, 2011, 01:52 PM
Man how far we have fallen if WCU isn't considered App St arch rival...

It's always been a one sided rivalry. I'm sure the answer would be unanimous if you asked the WCU camp, but if you asked App people, especially students, Western wouldn't even cross their minds.

ThompsonThe
July 31st, 2011, 02:59 PM
App fan here.....voted the Cant Amounts as biggest rivals just because of empathy. And because my sister went there. She used to like football. Got the doctor's cure by attending Western.

Gringer1
July 31st, 2011, 03:37 PM
Furman used to be GSU's arch rival because we met in championship games and our schools were very different in style. App became a bigger rival because of competitive reasons. We've won 9 titles between the two schools and the head-to-head games almost always come down to the wire. Add two large student populations and avid fanbases and you get a gem of a conference rivalry.

AppStsGr8
July 31st, 2011, 03:37 PM
I voted that Georgia Southern is App's arch rival based on the most recent seasons. Historically speaking, Furman might win the toss.

Apphole
July 31st, 2011, 04:39 PM
I think the title of this thread disqualifies Western.

eaglesrback
July 31st, 2011, 05:26 PM
FURBALL'S, just like a girlfriend that gave u the Herp!

cmaxwellgsu
July 31st, 2011, 06:52 PM
I voted Furman. Our schools and its alumni are very different, and it was the last game of the year. The App game has had much higher stakes lately though.

Apphole
July 31st, 2011, 07:38 PM
I voted Furman. Our schools and its alumni are very different, and it was the last game of the year. The App game has had much higher stakes lately though.

So there's only one vote for a non-App combo

Appfan_in_CAAland
July 31st, 2011, 09:29 PM
Tough one, I voted for Ga Southern as App's main rival but it depends on how you define rival. It would be nice for Western to be our big rival but sorry their just not, and Furman is not on my radar at all. Personally, much of my rivalry inspired hatred is directed in the Elon direction - and honestly I still hate Marshall most of all. I'd rather App's three biggest rivals be Marshall, East Carolina, and James Madison.

dgtw
July 31st, 2011, 09:31 PM
It's always been a one sided rivalry. I'm sure the answer would be unanimous if you asked the WCU camp, but if you asked App people, especially students, Western wouldn't even cross their minds.

Being competetive isn't a requirement for a rivalry. I used to live in Knoxville and you'd be surprised from listening to talk shows how fired up people got playing Kentucky and Vanderbilt. I think UT has lost one game to each of them in the last 30 years. Granted, those weren't their biggest rivals, but the games still fired people up for some reason.

GlassOnion
July 31st, 2011, 10:05 PM
I could care less about playing Western, although I do like alot of their fans. They must be absolutely dedicated, and deserve alot more than what their admin. has given them. Georgia Southern is the team I wait to see the Apps play every year. It used to be Furman. Might be again. Both rivals, GSU is just burning hotter right now.

OL FU
August 1st, 2011, 11:25 AM
I had to think about it, but voted for Appy. Furman was our first rival, but App St quickly became a rival. I think the three of us feature each other every year. "Black Saturday" is GSU and Furman in alternating years as GSU's "Blue Out" is App and Furman. Because of the recent down years, GSU has reason to get up for nearly everyone.

When I think about '85 forward GSU and Furman's down periods have been around the same time. Typically with GSU's down periods being a shorter length of time and then your successes very large. Both teams were down somewhat in the early to mid-90s. Both teams down this later half of the last decade. So hopefully your rise last year will mean good things for FU.

StorminASU
August 1st, 2011, 12:11 PM
The majority of the friends I had in high school went to Western and I went to App. Every year of college, we would meet up for the game (each of us bringing friends from our university's in addition) and you would see the stark contrast. EVERY Western fan HATED App passionately and were actually quite rude about it at times, especially considering they only knew me through a friend. However, as an App friend traveling with a pack of App fans, we were there largely to catch up and never questioned the outcome. This echos what someone said earlier; WCU sees themselves as our rival, but we don't see it at all.

PaladinFan
August 1st, 2011, 01:46 PM
Probably just a generational thing. Younger GSU fans will say App. and older ones will say Furman.

Oddly, there is a simlilar thing with Furman fans. Older Furman fans, and by older I mean attended Furman in the 60s and 70s, still have an undying hatred for the Citadel. The newer generation really has it in for Georgia Southern.

App State has always been a big game for Furman fans, but I think most folks have a stronger "rivalry" tie to Georgia Southern. Perhaps that's because GSU and Furman have met twice in the national championship game and have played countless meaningful football games. Even despite App's recent run, Furman/App really hasn't been all that interesting of a series. Furman won for a long time, App has won recently. GSU/Furman has been far more back and forth.

For what its worth, virtually no Furman alum or student I've ever met gets excited about playing Wofford. Quite conversely, you won't find many Furman fans that will even fully say "Marshall." There is some deep seated animosity there. Remember, Marshall was playing in the NC game and a camera picked up a "Furman Sucks" sign, and Furman wasn't even playing.

Mountaineer
August 1st, 2011, 01:57 PM
Gee..xchinscratchx..I wonder what it could be about Furman fans that gives the folks at other schools a sense of schadenfreude when the Paladins are sitting at home..which, by the way..they've been doing quite often lately. :D

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/3062/furmanhomen.jpg

AppMan
August 1st, 2011, 03:17 PM
Although most older grads do, I've never considered Western our top rival. When someone only beats you 12 times in 57 games the "rivalry" aspect goes away. For me it was ECU in the 70's and Marshall in the 80's. Because of their reputation, national championships and the unforgettable Ice Bowl playoff game in 1987 I've considered GSU #1 since they came into the conference in 1991.

bigCasu
August 1st, 2011, 03:55 PM
It's GSU for me. The fan bases get it at both schools.

blueballs
August 1st, 2011, 04:43 PM
I dislike App and Furman equally but also respect the hell of of them both football wise.

It is hard to find two conference rivals who have played more big games against each other than Furman and GSU over the past 25 years and hard to find two rivals who have played more exciting games against each other than App and GSU.

jmufan999
August 1st, 2011, 04:43 PM
I'm not a fan of any of the teams but I voted anyway. Why? Free country. Kinda felt excluded by the thread title so this made me feel better. I picked App State/GSU because they seem to hate each other the most, based on what I read on here.

That is all.

OL FU
August 2nd, 2011, 10:32 AM
For what its worth, virtually no Furman alum or student I've ever met gets excited about playing Wofford. .

And that pisses off Wofford fans more than I can describe:D

PaladinFan
August 2nd, 2011, 02:57 PM
And that pisses off Wofford fans more than I can describe:D

Does it ever...

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 3rd, 2011, 02:35 PM
Does it ever...

Never understood that. The series goes back all the way to the 1890s.

GaSouthern
August 3rd, 2011, 05:44 PM
I have a pretty deep annoyance with Wofford but I don't have a ton of appreciation for them either.

With App and Furman I respect the heck out of both of them just as much as I hate you guys. You are like my brothers with successful jobs and I HATE THANKSGIVING.

Ron White Thanksgiving (http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=69581&title=ron-white-thanksgiving)

OL FU
August 4th, 2011, 06:14 AM
Never understood that. The series goes back all the way to the 1890s.

I'll explain. It is the oldest football series in SC but most of us don't remember that far back. and even though there was a period in the 60s that Wofford beat us up pretty good in football, most of us don't remember that period either. What we do remember is that we were D1 and Wofford was NAIA. If we played in fball or bball, they came to our place. So while the differences were not nearly as great, it was for many years a relationship like Clemson and Furman. Furman people generally hate Clemson and Clemson people generally don't give a rats ***. For many years that was the situation with Wofford and Furman (although Furman was not nearly as dominant over Wofford as Clemsoon has been over Furman). So even though Wofford has caught us and in the short term at least (maybe the long term who knows) passed us in football and basketball, it is hard to shake old feelings.

On the other hand, that is one of the reasons that I think WC may be the rival of the future. Eventually old timers will be replaced by those with shorter memories and the rivalry can actually develope better at that time.

OL FU
August 4th, 2011, 06:15 AM
I have a pretty deep annoyance with Wofford but I don't have a ton of appreciation for them either.

With App and Furman I respect the heck out of both of them just as much as I hate you guys. You are like my brothers with successful jobs and I HATE THANKSGIVING.

Ron White Thanksgiving (http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=69581&title=ron-white-thanksgiving)

If you are thinking historically I can understand, but I do respect Wofford (and always have). They have come long way and did it with integrity and sportsmanship.

GaSouthern
August 4th, 2011, 07:21 AM
If you are thinking historically I can understand, but I do respect Wofford (and always have). They have come long way and did it with integrity and sportsmanship.

IMO they are one coaching change away from being in the cellar. He sadly is one heck of a coach and I happen to love their offense.

PaladinFan
August 4th, 2011, 07:41 AM
IMO they are one coaching change away from being in the cellar. He sadly is one heck of a coach and I happen to love their offense.

Wofford's rise to or past Furman has been relatively recent. I remember watching a Furman-Wofford basketball game a few years ago when the Furman students started to chant "Worse-than-Erskine." Furman had beaten Erskine by something gharish (maybe 35) earlier that week, and was beating Wofford worse that night. And, let's be honest, it is not as though Furman has had a dominate basketball team.

I have always respected Wofford, but really have never seen them as a rival. Perhaps that is a holdover from the "big three" years. Beating them was expected, not hoped for.

appfan2008
August 4th, 2011, 07:44 AM
I am shocked by this poll... I am app fan who voted for Furman... I guess part of that is that my years in school included some great games with Furman including the playoffs and it coincided with GSU's weak stretch...

MasonJar
August 4th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I'm obviously an App guy... and I picked Furman. Currently, the GaSouthern rivalry is more "interesting" but until we level our record with Furman, the Eagles take a very close second seat the the Purple Paladins!

Saint3333
August 4th, 2011, 08:04 AM
ASU graduates from 70's may say WCU, from the 80's would say Furman, Early 90's Marshall, late 90's/early '00 GSU, mid/late '00s whichever CAA is on top that year.

Furman dominated the series early on, but ASU is 10-2 vs. Furman since 2000. The GSU series is just nasty. How many times has one of the "underdogs" in this series reached up and knocked a top 5 team off.

appfan2008
August 4th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Can I vote for all 3? That is the truth...

eagle07
August 4th, 2011, 08:52 AM
GSU vs Wofford have been some good games the last couple of years, i consider them a rivalry, at least of late but not arch rival that goes to those folks in boone

SoCon48
August 4th, 2011, 09:37 AM
FURBALL'S, just like a girlfriend that gave u the Herp!

The herbies is for life, some rivalries aren't. Case in point WCU.

OL FU
August 4th, 2011, 11:57 AM

that could be but they have had good coaches before. Buddy Sasser comes to mind. The had a few 8-3 seasons under him I believe. They weren't D1 so no one paid attention.

AndrewFU21
August 4th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I'd say that GSU, App, Wofford and Citadel all get my blood boiling, but in different ways.

App- my freshman year at FU was 2005, when Furman won a crazy game in Greenville(TD in the last minute, then a blocked FG at the buzzer), then lost that soul-crushing semifinal in Boone- you could say that Furman football hasn't been the same since that game. App is probably the game I most want to win each year, and the game that gets me going the most. I also probably hate ASU the most based on the interactions I've had with their fans. Growing up in NC, I'm more acquainted with ASU and know more ASU people than any of our other rivals.

GSU- Historically, there is no doubt that FU has played more big games with GSU than any other school. Lately, though, the rivalry has seemed to have cooled. It's still a big game though, for sure. GSU and ASU are both so unlike Furman(i.e. big state schools, rowdy game atmosphere, etc.) that they make for ideal rivals.

Citadel- This is the old school rivalry, but I don't think many young alums care that much either way about them. Mainly I dislike Citadel not for football reasons, but because I really don't like the school and what it stands for. Whereas ASU is the game I most want to win each year, Citadel is the game I'd most hate to lose, if that makes sense.

Wofford- This is the most respectful rivalry of the bunch. I agree that this has the potential to become a big rivalry in the future, and clearly is not the one-side rivalry that it was for decades. Still, I think Furman and Wofford are too much alike to hate each other THAT much.

citdog
August 4th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Citadel- This is the old school rivalry, but I don't think many young alums care that much either way about them. Mainly I dislike Citadel not for football reasons, but because I really don't like the school and what it stands for. Whereas ASU is the game I most want to win each year, Citadel is the game I'd most hate to lose, if that makes sense. .

As the progeny of a furple Mother and that race of LIVING GODS AMONG MERE MORTAL MEN known as The Citadel Man I hate your ****ing guts and really wish that Yahweh himself would destroy that disgustingly beautiful little campus of yours. The spot in Traveller's Rest that you vermin scum now occupy was the site of the last camp of armed soldiers in the field in defense of our GLORIOUS Confederacy east of the mississippi river. This is the site where the South Carolina Corps of Cadets was disbanded, we NEVER surrendered, and The Citadel did not exist until the vile yankee occupier and his scalawag allies were expelled from the limits of our State in 1877. Generals Wade Hampton and Johnson Hagood were instrumental in reopening the school. Our Graduates have made the supreme sacrifice in every American War since the War with Mexico. Exactly what is it about what we stand for you find so distasteful?

AndrewFU21
August 4th, 2011, 05:11 PM
I knew that would get a rise out of Citdogxlolx

Citadel represents a lot of that Old South ideal that I don't particularly care for. I'd go on, but you put it more eloquently than I ever could;)

SoCon48
August 4th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Can't figure what Old South ideal you don't care for. Of course if you're not a southerner that would explain things.

citdog
August 4th, 2011, 06:52 PM
I knew that would get a rise out of Citdogxlolx Citadel represents a lot of that Old South ideal that I don't particularly care for. I'd go on, but you put it more eloquently than I ever could;)

OLFU.........SCALAWAG

Andrew21.........SCALAWAG

Noticing a trend?

AndrewFU21
August 4th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Oh I'm a Southerner and I love the South. I just don't like the South that The Citadel projects- I'm sure this makes me a scalawag:p

citdog
August 4th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Oh I'm a Southerner and I love the South. I just don't like the South that The Citadel projects- I'm sure this makes me a scalawag:p

You got that **** right

OL FU
August 5th, 2011, 06:03 AM
OLFU.........SCALAWAG

Andrew21.........SCALAWAG

Noticing a trend?

OL FU = Scalawag #1
Andrew21 - Scalawag #2

Sorry Andrew but that is just the way it has to be.xlolx

OL FU
August 5th, 2011, 06:04 AM
I like the Citadel. Everyone I have ever met that attended that fine institution is nutzxlolx

SpeedkingATL
August 5th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Having attended App in the 70s it was probably ECU and Western that got the blood boiling back then. I personally feel that Furman was the biggest rival in the 90's and as they are the only SoCon with a winning record against App we still owe them some payback. But GaSo...ah, there is a rivalry that started heating up in the 90's and has exploded over the last decade. Eagle fans are agressive and rabid just like App fans and the fact that many of the games over the last decade have been classics with neither team dominating just adds to the rivalry. I hate to lose to GaSo but admit life is more fun when they are a strong National Contender and arch rival. As far as WCU is concerned, as Steve Spurier once said of the UGA vs FLA rivalry, "it's not a rivalry is the same team wins every year".