PDA

View Full Version : Jewish Sports Review All-American team

HiHiYikas
March 21st, 2006, 04:33 PM
LOS ANGELES — For the second-straight season, Appalachian State University place kicker Julian Rauch has been named to the 2005 Jewish Sports Review all-America college football team. The 26-member squad was announced in the March/April issue of JSR...

http://www.goasu.com/?page=202&article=7201&fromPage=8

I didn't know there was any such outfit, and I didn't know Julian Rauch was Jewish. Interesting and impressive at the same time...

I can't seem to find the entire list anywhere, though - I'm wondering if any other I-AA's made the team? Anybody know?

walliver
March 21st, 2006, 05:38 PM
Here's their website:

http://www.jewishsportsreview.com/

Mr. C
March 21st, 2006, 09:47 PM
This is the second year in a row for Rauch being named a Jewish All-American

Retro
March 21st, 2006, 10:38 PM
Ok, this is a new one...
Jewish all-american?.. :read:

Where's the catholic and baptist teams?? xlolx

Do you have to be jewish to be on the team and how do they know who is what religion if you don't publicize it?

Seems a bit much to me!:twocents:

March 21st, 2006, 10:59 PM
Ok, this is a new one...
Do you have to be jewish to be on the team and how do they know who is what religion if you don't publicize it?
Seems a bit much to me!:twocents:Ya think???? :lmao:

Soon we'll have the conk and donk AA teams... :rolleyes:

TexasTerror
March 22nd, 2006, 06:41 AM
Ok, this is a new one...

Seems a bit much to me!:twocents:

What's wrong with a Jewish All-American squad? There's a lot of Jewish sports-related activities that don't get much publicity. Quite a few Jewish sports sites that plug Jewish athletes and their accomplishments.

Since your a Louisiana guy, did you know that New Orleans was actually slated to host the Maccabi Games, a youth "olympics" for Jewish teens that happens at four sites yearly? That was until Katrina. Unfortunate, but now New Orleans is sending a delegation to Phoenix, Arizona

And about finding out Jewish people and who they are, it's called "Jewish Geography". Jews seem to figure out who Jews are. It's never been that big an issue. I can't explain it, you'd have to see two Jews from different parts of the country get together and realize how many of the same people they know...

Mr. C
March 22nd, 2006, 06:53 AM
There is even a Jewish Sports Hall of Fame, so having an All-American team is not a stretch. It is something that has been awarded for many years.

TexasTerror
March 22nd, 2006, 06:57 AM
There is even a Jewish Sports Hall of Fame, so having an All-American team is not a stretch. It is something that has been awarded for many years.

L'chaim! :D

Husky Alum
March 22nd, 2006, 06:58 AM
NU had a linebacker in the late 80s/early 90s who was a 2 time Jewish All American - Bob Kanterman.

I think that Grambling (someone correct me if I'm wrong) once had a jewish/israeli placekicker as well.

For those who care, UCLA point guard Jordan Farmar is also Jewish.

New Orleans and Memphis have some of the oldest and wealthiest Jewish communities in the country. A bit of a history lesson - most Jews in the south didn't own slaves, they owned businesses, so during the Civil War, many of them actually sided with the Union (or mildly supported the confederacy) in the war - and kept their businesses alive and afloat. Most of the jewish communities in those cities date back to the early 1800s and it's generally considered "old money".

Jewish Geography is a big cocktail party game. TX Terror is right, we always seem to be able to "figure out" the other MOT's in the room, or in an event.

dungeonjoe
March 22nd, 2006, 07:13 AM
Jews handling and kicking a "pigskin" on the Sabbath... God is laughing somewhere! :) :) xlolx

TexasTerror
March 22nd, 2006, 07:23 AM
Jews handling and kicking a "pigskin" on the Sabbath... God is laughing somewhere! :) :) xlolx

I-AA football is Kosher...not too sure about I-A! :hurray:

LeopardFan04
March 22nd, 2006, 10:25 AM
When rushing home from synagogue on Saturdays to catch some games...my brother always says that Saturdays are for synagogue and college football...

WUTNDITWAA
March 22nd, 2006, 10:29 AM
Airplane is one of the funniest movies ever.

Elaine: "Would you like something to read?"

Jive Lady: "Do you have anything light?"

Elaine: "Here's a pamphlet on famous Jewish sports legends." :D

Seriously though, congrats Julian.

Blue Hen Nation
March 22nd, 2006, 10:55 AM
I'm still waiting on the much lauded Presbyterian and Methodist All-American Teams. xlolx

I-AA Fan
March 22nd, 2006, 12:04 PM
Where's the All-American Catholic Team, or Budist team? There are far too many things that lead to prejudice in America ...this is an example.

ccd494
March 22nd, 2006, 02:24 PM
Where's the All-American Catholic Team, or Budist team? There are far too many things that lead to prejudice in America ...this is an example.

Why can't there be a Jewish All-American team?

Why aren't you ripping the University of Notre Dame for being a Catholic institution? There are all sorts of division I colleges and universities with religious ties- none of them Jewish. There are numerous prep and interscholastic leagues based upon the schools being of a similar religious denomination.

Why can't an organization celebrate the accomplishments of Jewish athletes? As a Jewish kid growing up, I didn't know of many (if any) Jewish athletes. Not that that has a great effect on you, but it's kind of cool to see someone with the same background having success.

As an aside, I had no idea Farmar was Jewish, that's cool. What's the Jewish Jordan up to these days?

3rd Coast Tiger
March 22nd, 2006, 02:42 PM

I knew comments such as this was coming! xlolx

Guess you are anti:

NAACP
LULAC
National Congress of American Indians
Boy Scouts
Girl Scouts
Miss America
Miss Brazil
HBCUs
PETA

Wake up dude! As long as the United States is the most diverse country on Earth we will always have a diverse makeup of organizations. And it's nothing you can do.

If you want to start your own organization to uplift your race, by all means please do! As a matter of fact, I'll be your Houston liaison.

OL FU
March 22nd, 2006, 03:31 PM

Guess you are anti:

NAACP
LULAC
Boy Scouts
Girl Scouts
Miss America
Miss Brazil
HBCUs
PETA

Wake up dude! As long as the United States is the most diverse country on Earth we will always have a diverse makeup of organizations. And it's nothing you can do.

If you want to start your own organization to uplift your race, by all means please do! As a matter of fact, I'll be your Houston liaison.

It is all good. I am just pissed there is not a all american and former baptist I-AA team cuz they would all have purple jerseys:D

igo4uni
March 22nd, 2006, 03:40 PM
I-AA football is Kosher...not too sure about I-A! :hurray:

good one! :)

OL FU
March 22nd, 2006, 04:09 PM

Guess you are anti:

NAACP
LULAC
Boy Scouts
Girl Scouts
Miss America
Miss Brazil
HBCUs
PETA

and who could have a problem with Miss Brazil?

http://www.rthotel.com/images/missBrazil.jpg

walliver
March 22nd, 2006, 05:16 PM
There is a catholic all-american team:

1) The first team is Notre Dame's recruiting class

2) The second team is Boston College's recruiting class.

As far as the Jewish All-American thing, and the Jewish Sports Websites, it reminds of Adam Sandler's Hannukah song:
"OJ Simpson ... not a Jew
But we've got hall of famer Rod Carew..."

The CIA is keeping an eye out for the Al Qaida All-Jihad team:smiley_wi

TexasTerror
March 22nd, 2006, 05:18 PM
and who could have a problem with Miss Brazil?

Ms Brazil 2004 has several nice friends! ;)

They're shixsa though...

http://galleries.news24.com/2004/events/missuniverse2/images/29.jpg

I-AA Fan
March 22nd, 2006, 06:13 PM

Guess you are anti:

NAACP
LULAC
Boy Scouts
Girl Scouts
Miss America
Miss Brazil
HBCUs
PETA

This probably does not belong on this board, or even a sports baord. However, your race is not Jewish, that is your religious faith. I assume your race is American ...and you may have heritage from other nations.

The point is that players in this list are of Jewish faith, not that they go to Jewish colleges. I have no problem with ratings like the "bishop's" ratings because you do not have to be Catholic to be on it, even though it is considered Catholic. You can be of any race, color, or creed; as long as you attend a Catholic institution. HBCU's are traditionally black colleges ...and their ratings are for players that attend those institutions...not ratings for the best players that are black. However, you do have to be of Jewish faith to make this rating. Your faith is not relevant...that is my point. I am not trying to promote religious bias; this poll is doing a fine job of that, and that is my point. I don't care what your faith is, as long as you can play ball...and that is what this board is all about ...to unify people based on a love of I-AA football.

HiHiYikas
March 22nd, 2006, 08:49 PM
The point is that players in this list are of Jewish faith, not that they go to Jewish colleges...
I was thinking these guys were of Jewish ethnicity and not neccesarily players who practice Jewish faith. I know the distinction between ethnicity and religious orientation is a little different when it comes to Judaism/Jewishness.

Would somebody like Rod Carew be eligible for the team? Would an ethnic Jew who is a member of a Messianic synagogue be eligible?

Anyway, I was just wondering what other I-AA players made the team, since the article on Julian notes that I-A, I-AA, and D-III players made the team.

TexasTerror
March 22nd, 2006, 08:56 PM
Check out http://www.jewishsports.com...

Hasn't been updated in awhile, but it shows you how Jews stand in professional sports. Hopefully, Tagliabue will be replaced by a Jew and we can control the NFL to go along with the MLS, NBA, MLB and the NHL...

March 23rd, 2006, 01:33 AM
This probably does not belong on this board, or even a sports board. However, your race is not Jewish, that is your religious faith... I am not trying to promote religious bias; this poll is doing a fine job of that, and that is my point. I don't care what your faith is, as long as you can play ball... and that is what this board is all about ...to unify people based on a love of I-AA football.Excellent post I-AA Fan!

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Who the heck cares what religion you follow as long as you wear the team's hat and play well (and get good grades while being a good person)?

ccd494
March 23rd, 2006, 05:28 PM
This probably does not belong on this board, or even a sports baord. However, your race is not Jewish, that is your religious faith. I assume your race is American ...and you may have heritage from other nations.

I consider myself ethnically Jewish before I am religiously Jewish.

I-AA Fan
March 23rd, 2006, 06:55 PM
I consider myself ethnically Jewish before I am religiously Jewish.

That is fine, but it does not make sense to me. Again, this is really not football related, and I do not want to be banned for a religious bias. To me, if you are of latin-american/spanish heritage...you are hispanic. If you are from Africa...you are African-American. If you hail from Europe..you are European. There are even ethnic boundaries beneath this, based on more regionalized characteristics. For example: if you are from Japan, you can be considered Far Eastern, Asian and Japanese. People from any of these ethnic groups can be Jewish, and they can play football. An ethnic group is also an endogamous population, something which is measureable in terms of characteristics based on average genetic frequencies.

You were not born Jewish, I was not born Catholic ...we chose to become that ...so there can be no genetic association. It is a social order within your life ...a discipline. My father has no religion ... so, based on your interpretation, he has no ethnicity. His ethnic group is that of an American of German/Welsh heritage. If my father was a collegiate football player, does that make my ethnic heritage that of a football player? Both football and religion are disciplines in life, this requires devotion by the believer/player. It does not take any devotion to be European. Creation of additional ethnic groups ...creates predjudice and furthers hatred.

TexasTerror
March 23rd, 2006, 07:11 PM
Guess we should cancel the Maccabiah Games or the Maccabi Youth Games...

No goyim allowed, just Jews...

phyrbirdphan
March 24th, 2006, 06:06 AM
oi-vey!!!

DUPFLFan
March 24th, 2006, 08:09 AM
1-aa fan.

In Judaism, if the mother is jewish, the child is jewish. You are born jewish...

Only if you convert to judaism, are you choosing Judaism. If you convert from judaism to another religion, you are still jewish.

OL FU
March 24th, 2006, 08:21 AM
1-aa fan.

In Judaism, if the mother is jewish, the child is jewish. You are born jewish...

Only if you convert to judaism, are you choosing Judaism. If you convert from judaism to another religion, you are still jewish.

That has always been my perception. It is the only religion I know of that also denotes ethnicity.

nickderiso
March 24th, 2006, 09:36 AM
I think that Grambling (someone correct me if I'm wrong) once had a jewish/israeli placekicker as well.

Kicker Gilad Landau, a native of Netanya, Israel, played for Eddie Robinson at Grambling from 1991-1994. A cool dude.

He's got his own page on the site:
http://www.jewsinsports.org/profile.asp?sport=football&ID=399

Landau was named first team Sheridan Black College in 1994. He finished his career with the most extra points made (181) and attempted (194) in Division I-AA history.

Landau was a two-time Academic All-America (he majored in biology), and won the first-ever Ernie Davis Award in 1992 as a sophomore. The award is given to the Division I-AA player, "Who Has Overcome Adversity."

As a senior in 1994, Gilad finished 22nd in Division I-AA scoring with 75 points (7-10 field goals and 54 extra points) as Grambling finished the season 9-2. During the year, he played a game after Yom Kippur ended and allowed team officials to give him fluids intravenously minutes after he finished fasting.

Bruce Eugene - whose family lost everything in the wake of Katrina - became just the second Grambling player to win the Ernie Davis Award when he was honored this past year.