PDA

View Full Version : Division I Championship Game Set For January 7

GeauxLions94
July 28th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Noon kickoff from Frisco.

Link (http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=205214209)

chattownmocs
July 28th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Cool. Just wish it was a 15 minute trip instead of a full days drive to see my mocs.

StorminASU
July 28th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Cool. Just wish it was a 15 minute trip instead of a full days drive to see my mocs.

I don't think you'll have to worry about the gas bill just yet.

On an aside, if a Frisco, Tx trip, probably on the wake of a major bowl game, to a soccer stadium for a non primetime kickoff, doesn't scream the NCAA loves our subdivision I just don't know what does. I love their insight, leadership and time they devote to the FCS...visionaries isn't a great enough word to describe what they've done to market the true champion at the Division 1 level.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 28th, 2011, 02:51 PM
On a Saturday?

On the FIRST WEEKEND OF THE NFL PLAYOFFS?????????????

This is an AMAZINGLY boneheaded decision!

GannonFan
July 28th, 2011, 02:54 PM

On an aside, if a Frisco, Tx trip, probably on the wake of a major bowl game, to a soccer stadium for a non primetime kickoff, doesn't scream the NCAA loves our subdivision I just don't know what does. I love their insight, leadership and time they devote to the FCS...visionaries isn't a great enough word to describe what they've done to market the true champion at the Division 1 level.

Psssttt - no one outside of fans of the schools in FCS really care about FCS anyway. No marketing is going to change that, deal with it. I'm not sure why your enjoyment of the game is impacted in any way shape or form based upon the quantity of people you don't know nor will ever know who will tune in to watch the game. I've never sat in a stadium watching a game and felt better because I knew the game was getting a high rating in the Nielsens.

As for the change, it's great - no competition with a local bowl game (Cotton Bowl is night before), no competition with any big football game (NFL playoffs are that night), makes it possible for fans to get to the game without even having to take a days vacation from work, and with a noon local start it means that we can have scrapple at the pre-game tailgate.

Really, hard to see a negative in this decision.

GannonFan
July 28th, 2011, 02:55 PM
On a Saturday?

On the FIRST WEEKEND OF THE NFL PLAYOFFS?????????????

Wild Card weekend means the first NFL game isn't until 4 or 4:30. No conflict. next?

ursus arctos horribilis
July 28th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Psssttt - no one outside of fans of the schools in FCS really care about FCS anyway. No marketing is going to change that, deal with it. I'm not sure why your enjoyment of the game is impacted in any way shape or form based upon the quantity of people you don't know nor will ever know who will tune in to watch the game. I've never sat in a stadium watching a game and felt better because I knew the game was getting a high rating in the Nielsens.

As for the change, it's great - no competition with a local bowl game (Cotton Bowl is night before), no competition with any big football game (NFL playoffs are that night), makes it possible for fans to get to the game without even having to take a days vacation from work, and with a noon local start it means that we can have scrapple at the pre-game tailgate.

Really, hard to see a negative in this decision.

Again, complete agreement. It really does seem that people just want to ***** before thinking this out to see the pluses and minuses. This looks like more pluses to me.

As far as the soccer stadium thing goes...WGAF? It looked good on TV and the guys I talked to that were at the game said it was a pretty decent set up for watching the game. The tailgating was great, and the area was great.

I'm gonna take their word on it since one was from Delaware and the other from EWU.

superman7515
July 28th, 2011, 03:03 PM
May actually boost attendance a bit since theoretically folks won't have to take off work Friday (and in many cases Thursday as well) to fly out to the game. You could fly out Friday night and fly back home Sunday and never miss a day of work or school.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 28th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Wild Card weekend means the first NFL game isn't until 4 or 4:30. No conflict. next?

Well then I guess it's possible that this could help TV ratings with people looking for something before the Wildcard game starts then.

Way to go NCAA it seems like you may have done just the opposite of what you are being accused of here and tried to come up with the best case scenario for this game.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 28th, 2011, 03:06 PM
May actually boost attendance a bit since theoretically folks won't have to take off work Friday (and in many cases Thursday as well) to fly out to the game. You could fly out Friday night and fly back home Sunday and never miss a day of work or school.

If locals want to go it will also make it easier for them.

GannonFan
July 28th, 2011, 03:14 PM
If locals want to go it will also make it easier for them.

Could do that - apparently a complaint from locals last year was the 6PM start time made it hard since the drive from downtown Dallas to Frisco, through rush hour traffic on a Friday night, is a pretty big deal. Could actually see a pretty decent bump in attendance with the shift in time for this game.

danefan
July 28th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Good move NCAA! No negatives on this one.

Finally.

DFW HOYA
July 28th, 2011, 03:25 PM
On a Saturday? On the FIRST WEEKEND OF THE NFL PLAYOFFS?????????????

Add to it the carriage on ESPN2, which must compete with the "BBVA Compass Bowl" on ESPN, and the first weekend of college basketball conference play on CBS. And if the Cowboys play in a wild card game that weekend, local coverage goes right down the drain.

So will this game be down to ESPNU by 2012?

TheValleyRaider
July 28th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Sounds like a solid decision to me

Now I just have to make sure and go this year....

melloware13
July 28th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Add to it the carriage on ESPN2, which must compete with the "BBVA Compass Bowl" on ESPN, and the first weekend of college basketball conference play on CBS. And if the Cowboys play in a wild card game that weekend, local coverage goes right down the drain.

So will this game be down to ESPNU by 2012?

It has been on ESPN2 for as long as I can remember. Now hopefully I'll be able to go to one before I graduate, and not have to watch on tv.

DFW HOYA
July 28th, 2011, 04:31 PM
It has been on ESPN2 for as long as I can remember. Now hopefully I'll be able to go to one before I graduate, and not have to watch on tv.

If there was ever a time to move to ESPN ahead of something called the BBVA Compass Bowl, this was it.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 28th, 2011, 04:54 PM
If there was ever a time to move to ESPN ahead of something called the BBVA Compass Bowl, this was it.

Well if it were to do as well as that game considering the "2" then maybe it would get a better location next time but that is something that is totally up to ESPN I would assume.

AtlantaMountaineer
July 28th, 2011, 05:11 PM
BBVA Compass Bowl was formerly known as the PapaJohns.com Bowl which usually features a SEC team vs a Big East team. Last year it was Pittsburgh vs Kentucky played in Birmingham, AL.

FargoBison
July 28th, 2011, 09:51 PM

To me a noon kickoff on a Saturday just screams college football, playing on Friday night always just seemed wierd to me. Sure Saturday primetime would be ideal but this is much better than Friday night for TV. People are at home on Saturday afternoons, looking to sit down and watch some sports.

BlueHenSinfonian
July 28th, 2011, 10:05 PM
I would have preferred a night game. Games under the lights just seem bigger and more exciting. I can see the logic in moving to Saturday for the locals though, and not having to go directly against a FBS bowl game. It sucks for me because I have to work every Saturday, but I'll at least be able to DVR it and watch when I get home, I'll just have to stay off of AGS at work so it isn't spoiled.

pbr1893
July 28th, 2011, 11:19 PM
just bring it back east where it belongs...and a later time...period. stop settling for less...if no one other than fcs cares...fine...but, a good tailgate building up to a championship is part of the fun. think they'll open the gates at 8 or 9...i doubt it! i think people will start to miss nooga after a few more of these "missed" opportunities.

mikebigg
July 29th, 2011, 03:09 AM
Hope the championship game continues to grow... glad for the kids getting this exposure.

GannonFan
July 30th, 2011, 12:05 AM
just bring it back east where it belongs...and a later time...period. stop settling for less...if no one other than fcs cares...fine...but, a good tailgate building up to a championship is part of the fun. think they'll open the gates at 8 or 9...i doubt it! i think people will start to miss nooga after a few more of these "missed" opportunities.

No one missed nooga last year. Old story, Frisco shined last year, and this change will only make it better.

crossfire07
July 31st, 2011, 01:07 PM
That game will never be in nooga again. There is a reason why it left. The only time that town cared about the game was when they was trying to get the NCAA to keep it there. It seems to me like the only people that want the game in nooga is those that live close to there.At least I can fly non stop into Frisco. Does nooga even have commuter service yet?

Saint3333
July 31st, 2011, 01:51 PM
It seems to me like the only people that want the game in nooga is those that live close to there.At least I can fly non stop into Frisco.

Its location was better for the majority of the FCS world. Dislike a 1PM game time.