PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical: GSU and App to the CAA

GaSouthern
July 28th, 2011, 12:35 PM
CAA Members, what would be your thoughts on GSU and App St joining the CAA hypothetically?

I'd also like to hear from other GSU and ASU fans as well on this matter.

(just about a month left until the season begins!!! :D)

NHwildEcat
July 28th, 2011, 12:38 PM
I would like it, althought it wouldn't solve UNH issues of being one of two teams in New England...but from the competitive standpoint it would be more great quality games for all of us college football fans!

I-16Bandit
July 28th, 2011, 12:39 PM
I know this is hypothetical, but why would we (GSU) move out of the SoCon?

GaSouthern
July 28th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I was talking to a friend about this and thats why I brought it up, If the C-USA does not get raided and does not invite App St and both schools deicded to stay in the FCS then the CAA might actually be a good move for both schools. I think they might match up better in the CAA than the SoCon if we keep adding small and/or private schools.

It would be more travel expenses for GSU but the 2013 CAA might be a better match for GSU than the SoCon

App State
Delaware
Georgia Southern
Georgia State
James Madison
Maine
New Hampshire
Old Dominion
Richmond
Towson
Villanova
William & Mary

For Scheduling you could break it up into north/ south divisions

It also provides two built in rivals outside of GSU vs. ASU

GSU - GSU
App - JMU

superman7515
July 28th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I'd be for it. The question is which one of the Virginia schools moves north and gives up playing the other Virginia schools every year?

North:
Maine
New Hampshire
Villanova
Delaware
Towson

South:
James Madison ?
William & Mary ?
Richmond ?
Old Dominion ?
App State
Georgia State
Georgia Southern

DFW HOYA
July 28th, 2011, 12:42 PM
The CAA may have declining interest in maintaining a NE base, which is why Maine and UNH are justifiably concerned. At some point, there may not be more than one CAA football program north of the Mason-Dixon line.

GaSouthern
July 28th, 2011, 12:45 PM
JMU would be in the "North" based on them being the most northern VA school IMO

superman7515
July 28th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Yeah, but they may argue that since ODU is the newest football member in VA that they should move north because they already have rivalries in football with W&M and Richmond.

Saint3333
July 28th, 2011, 12:47 PM
If ASU remains in the FCS I'm 100% behind it. More attractive regular season football games (especially if both ASU and GSU join) and ASU basketball would be the biggest winner.

The South Division would be stacked.

GaSouthern
July 28th, 2011, 12:47 PM
On a side note this would also leave the SoCon with...
Furman
Citadel
Samford
Chattanooga
Wofford
Elon
Western Carolina

Which I'd assume means they would look at raiding Big South schools.

GaSouthern
July 28th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Yeah, but they may argue that since ODU is the newest football member in VA that they should move north because they already have rivalries in football with W&M and Richmond.

Ahh, good point and keeping JMU in the south with App would be a win win for everyone I think.

yorkcountyUNHfan
July 28th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Furman
Citadel
Samford
Chattanooga
Wofford
Elon
Western Carolina

Any chance of you adding UNH to your "GSU Home Records vs Opponents:" list?

GaSouthern
July 28th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Any chance of you adding UNH to your "GSU Home Records vs Opponents:" list?

As soon as we join the CAA ;) :D

Tribe4SF
July 28th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Talk about a tough conference schedule! Yikes!

superman7515
July 28th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Furman
Citadel
Samford
Chattanooga
Wofford
Elon
Western Carolina

South Carolina State

chattownmocs
July 28th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Whether they leave or stay, this conference is about to belong to Russ Huesman and his chattanooga mocs anyway.

Side Judge
July 28th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Whether they leave or stay, this conference is about to belong to Russ Huesman and his chattanooga mocs anyway.

Russ Huesman and His Chattanooga Mocs - moderately priced wedding band specializing in hillbilly swing?

panama
July 28th, 2011, 01:18 PM
This will not happen unless there is a split and the schools that want to move up leave. App State wants to move up so it makes no sense for them to move sideways to the CAA and get beat up 8 weeks a year.

NHwildEcat
July 28th, 2011, 01:19 PM
The CAA may have declining interest in maintaining a NE base, which is why Maine and UNH are justifiably concerned. At some point, there may not be more than one CAA football program north of the Mason-Dixon line.

Certainly...but UNH isn't going anywhere unless a better option becomes available...and there doesn't seem like that is possible anytime soon. As far as I know, Maine is also committed for the forseeable future. I am still hopefully hat Albany and Stony Brook will join the CAA north...maybe some day, especially with the new digs for UAlbany.

StorminASU
July 28th, 2011, 01:23 PM

Are you going to be around at the end of the season, or will you change names and act like you never said any of this craziness?

xcrazyx xholyx xnutsx xpopcornx

chattownmocs
July 28th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Are you going to be around at the end of the season, or will you change names and act like you never said any of this craziness?

xcrazyx xholyx xnutsx xpopcornx

Yes, either to taunt you, or make excuses.

professor8315
July 28th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I'm sure SCSU and the southern teams of the MEAC would love for App State and GSU move to CAA.......xlolx

StorminASU
July 28th, 2011, 01:28 PM
This will not happen unless there is a split and the schools that want to move up leave. App State wants to move up so it makes no sense for them to move sideways to the CAA and get beat up 8 weeks a year.

Hey, how about doing this?
1) Invent a time machine.
2) Go back to last season.
3) Actually beat Lambuth.
4) Return to present day with a tiny bit more of respectability.

I think after this, we could all accept your comment on App's football probabilities in the CAA with a minuscule amount less ridicule than we currently have.

StorminASU
July 28th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Yes, either to taunt you, or make excuses.

Hahaha, I gotta finally give it to you, that's great. I'll be here too to do the same.

bluehenbillk
July 28th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Sounds like penis envy for the GSU & ASU fans....

Saint3333
July 28th, 2011, 01:34 PM
It's actually leadership envy.

I-16Bandit
July 28th, 2011, 01:49 PM

We are talking about App State and the Georgia Southern GSU. Not you guys.

GaSouthern
July 28th, 2011, 01:54 PM

I think after this, we could all accept your comment on App's football probabilities in the CAA with a minuscule amount less ridicule than we currently have.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to StorminASU again."

ValleyBoy
July 28th, 2011, 01:57 PM
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to StorminASU again."

Panama is just being Panama. But we play in the DooooooommmmmeeeeeeE.

Apphole
July 28th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Chattowntroll strikes again!

Anyway, about the hypothetical, if App and GSU go CAA look for it becoming an FBS conference soon thereafter.

panama
July 28th, 2011, 02:26 PM

I havent said anything about Apps respectability so bring it down a couple notches. And I havent said anything Apps administration has not already said in the last 6 months. Didnt your administration say they wouldnt move to the CAA unless 1) they cannot get into CUSA and 2) the CAA went FBS.? So why would they change their minds and move sideways? Plus our fearless leader Mr Yeager is not exactly the proactive type so I dont see an invite coming. No way App State and GS get invited while there is even a chance of saving the Northern schools. Now if UNH and Maine leave well then all bets are off.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 28th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Y'all are forgetting VCU, who has been watching ODU with lots of interest and could start up a CAA Program sooner rather than later.

jmufan
July 28th, 2011, 02:35 PM
JMU would not go to the north, the fans would go ballistic if that were to happen, no offense UNH and Maine. If northern expansion has to happen, I'm all in favor of adding Youngstown St and SB to the north while adding App State and even the other GSU to the south.

StorminASU
July 28th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I havent said anything about Apps respectability so bring it down a couple notches. And I havent said anything Apps administration has not already said in the last 6 months. Didnt your administration say they wouldnt move to the CAA unless 1) they cannot get into CUSA and 2) the CAA went FBS.? So why would they change their minds and move sideways? Plus our fearless leader Mr Yeager is not exactly the proactive type so I dont see an invite coming. No way App State and GS get invited while there is even a chance of saving the Northern schools. Now if UNH and Maine leave well then all bets are off.

What do you mean you didn't say anything about our respectability? Did you forget what you typed about us getting beat up every week for eight weeks?

GaSouthern
July 28th, 2011, 02:42 PM
What do you mean you didn't say anything about our respectability? Did you forget what you typed about us getting beat up every week for eight weeks?

Ga State fans forget quickly, see also Lambuth

JMU would not go to the north, the fans would go ballistic if that were to happen, no offense UNH and Maine. If northern expansion has to happen, I'm all in favor of adding Youngstown St and SB to the north while adding App State and even the other GSU to the south.

MAN i'd LOVE to see a team like YSU in the league but I don't wanna grasp at straws too much. :D

I'd like to see UNI and Montana while i'm dreaming but the CAA is a legit hypothetical in my mind.

chattownmocs
July 28th, 2011, 02:42 PM

Because they cant get into CUSA

panama
July 28th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Its the CAA! Everyone gets beat up for 8 weeks whether they go 2-9 or 10-1. So like I said, given what your administration has already said, why would they move sideways when they does not move them towards their stated goal?

panama
July 28th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Because they cant get into CUSA

But they still want to go FBS and the CAA doesnt get them closer.

I-16Bandit
July 28th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Its the CAA! Everyone gets beat up for 8 weeks whether they go 2-9 or 10-1. So like I said, given what your administration has already said, why would they move sideways when they does not move them towards their stated goal?

You make no sense.

panama
July 28th, 2011, 03:22 PM
You make no sense.
What does not make sense to you?
They say they want to move up. They say they would not consider the CAA while it is still an FCS league. The CAA is the toughest FCS league in the country. So you think it makes sense for App State to pursue the same exact short term goal they have now (FCS National Championship) in a tougher league when playing in the CAA will not get them any closer to their long term goal (FBS) than if they just stayed in SoCon?

Seriously?

Saint3333
July 28th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Is that caption in your signature a photoshop joke?

I-16Bandit
July 28th, 2011, 03:34 PM
What does not make sense to you?
They say they want to move up. They say they would not consider the CAA while it is still an FCS league. The CAA is the toughest FCS league in the country. So you think it makes sense for App State to pursue the same exact short term goal they have now (FCS National Championship) in a tougher league when playing in the CAA will not get them any closer to their long term goal (FBS) than if they just stayed in SoCon?

Seriously?

You just answered your own question. If the CAA is "tougher", then why not make a move to it? Wouldn't that be a step up?

It's from the AJC (Atlanta Journal Constitution). Nobody takes it seriously besides GA State when they have a mention. Notice how it is GA's 2 big schools, then GA State, which HAPPENS to be in Atlanta.

...I wonder...

panama
July 28th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Yep. ;)

Why else would it be there?

Anyone else having a bad day around here? So anyway, about the subject of the thread. I really think Yeager is going to just wait around twiddling his thumbs and see what happens. If he invited App State and Georgia Southern and they accepted it would a clear sign to the NE schools that the CAA is going to be Southern based only. No way Maine and UNH stay if that happens.

henfan
July 28th, 2011, 03:53 PM

Who would that be, if not UNH & UMaine? There are no other schools North of the M-D line aside from them & 'Nova. (Delaware is East of the M-D line.)

GaSo & App would seem to fit the CAA's profile but, IMO, a lot would have to change in the D-I landscape for that to happen. Somehow, I think FBS FB would have to be part of the equation, schools like VCU & GMU would need to move-or-get-off-the-pot with respect to FB, and the other non-FB CAA members would need to make some tough decisions or change conferences for it to work.

henfan
July 28th, 2011, 04:02 PM
I really think Yeager is going to just wait around twiddling his thumbs and see what happens. If he invited App State and Georgia Southern and they accepted it would a clear sign to the NE schools that the CAA is going to be Southern based only.

Yeager doesn't make decisions for either the CAA or CAA FB, let alone unilateral decisions. He works for the schools' CEO's, which include those at UMaine, UNH, etc. If the league members by majority want additional members, they'll approve of it. If not, they won't. In any case, like most conference commissioners, Tom Yeager has little to do with it.

panama
July 28th, 2011, 04:04 PM
You just answered your own question. If the CAA is "tougher", then why not make a move to it? Wouldn't that be a step up?

It's from the AJC (Atlanta Journal Constitution). Nobody takes it seriously besides GA State when they have a mention. Notice how it is GA's 2 big schools, then GA State, which HAPPENS to be in Atlanta.

...I wonder...

Regarding your first assertion, if they want to move to FBS it's just a lateral move. FBS Conferences dont care if your CAA, SoCon or as we have seen recently SLC.

As for the AJC being taking seriously, I can see why you would say that because youre in that tiny minority of the state that isnt affected by Metro Atlanta. As for the other 85% of us, yes we do read the AJC. It's just that most of their readership has moved online.

I also have to agree with henfan. If you add GS and App and that forces UNH and Maine out, all of sudden this starts to look like a Div I conference with a whole lot of big 25k to 45k enrollment schools in a few years. Something has to give if that is the case.

panama
July 28th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Yeager doesn't make decisions for either the CAA or CAA FB, let alone unilateral decisions. He works for the schools' CEO's, which include those at UMaine, UNH, etc. If the league members by majority want additional members, they'll approve of it. If not, they won't. In any case, like most conference commissioners, Tom Yeager has little to do with it.

But that inaction is kind of driven by the North/South split isnt ?

superman7515
July 28th, 2011, 05:05 PM
It isn't driven at all. That's why it's inaction.

URMite
July 28th, 2011, 05:16 PM
OK,

Let get Hypothetical:

Trade UR & W&M for ASU & GSU
Nova to the Big East
UNH & Maine move elsewhere and are replaced by VCU & UNCC

For a private(like) SoCon and Big Public CAA xeekx

citdog
July 28th, 2011, 05:20 PM
South Carolina State

not likely

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation/confederate-flags.jpg

superman7515
July 28th, 2011, 06:08 PM
not likely

But you were exactly who I had in mind. xnodx

dgtw
July 28th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I can't believe the AJC actually printed that and expects people to take it seriously. I know they are trying to throw the local team a bone, but get real. If they were an FBS team, I might see them being included.

At least the Birmingham News has the good sense to give UAB the attention they deserve....none. I just wish they'd acknowledge FCS games in the state other than the Magic City Classic. They used to have a guy who'd cover one (and sometimes two) small college games a week and even had a weekly column devoted to state schools not named Alabama or Auburn. But that's no longer in the busget soi now they just do a write up from looking at the stats. Pathetic.

The Cats
July 28th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Furman
Citadel
Samford
Chattanooga
Wofford
Elon
Western Carolina

It think it's a great idea. Bye xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

I-16Bandit
July 28th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I can't believe the AJC actually printed that and expects people to take it seriously. I know they are trying to throw the local team a bone, but get real. If they were an FBS team, I might see them being included.

At least the Birmingham News has the good sense to give UAB the attention they deserve....none. I just wish they'd acknowledge FCS games in the state other than the Magic City Classic. They used to have a guy who'd cover one (and sometimes two) small college games a week and even had a weekly column devoted to state schools not named Alabama or Auburn. But that's no longer in the busget soi now they just do a write up from looking at the stats. Pathetic.

Shhhhhhh.

Don't let panama hear you, or he will flip his shi-.

whoanellie
July 28th, 2011, 07:46 PM
opening act for "Bobby Fleet & his band w/ a Beat"
Russ Huesman and His Chattanooga Mocs - moderately priced wedding band specializing in hillbilly swing?

ursus arctos horribilis
July 28th, 2011, 08:28 PM
not likely

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation/confederate-flags.jpg

Which is odd since this is the flag that got you into the Yankee Conference.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2rpBycl0s04/Tb0cD9WfAhI/AAAAAAAAAQQ/4VG069nx8WM/s1600/WavingWhiteFlag.gif

panama
July 28th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Shhhhhhh.

Don't let panama hear you, or he will flip his shi-.LOL! Its all good. I will take anything we can get. Lets face it, we get local media attention only because we have 100k alumni in the 5 county local area and because every local radio station and newspaper has GSU folks working in the back office. That and we're downtown. I'm not complaining at all. They have given way more attention than an FCS school with 2 BCS AQ schools in their backyard deserves. I do not expect it to continue if we are still FCS in 7 or 8 years.

By the way, I have had that in my sig for like 2 months. Why is everyone flipping out today? LOL

I-16Bandit
July 28th, 2011, 08:56 PM
By the way, I have had that in my sig for like 2 months. Why is everyone flipping out today? LOL

You aren't posting on AGS that much.

panama
July 28th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Well feel free to send the AJC a strongly worded letter regarding displeasure at their support of us.

citdog
July 29th, 2011, 02:52 AM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2rpBycl0s04/Tb0cD9WfAhI/AAAAAAAAAQQ/4VG069nx8WM/s1600/WavingWhiteFlag.gif

For you gentlemen who would rather act like a bunch of old women and report posts the above is how it is done. I doubt any of you bleeding gashes have the necessary marriage tackle to actually come out from behind your anonymous tattletailing and face me.

JMUDuke2002
July 29th, 2011, 08:29 AM
You send UR north. The school is filled with people from Jersey and New England anyway. They are not a Virginia school, just a school that happens to be located in Virginia.

henfan
July 29th, 2011, 08:30 AM
But that inaction is kind of driven by the North/South split isnt ?

There's been no inaction by the league at all. The geographical schism that now exists between UMaine & UNH and the rest of the league is the direct result of institutional decisions made by NU, HU, URI & UMass. There was little that CAA FB could do to keep those schools in the league.

The league would probably love to somehow be able to magically bridge the geographical gaps that exist between UMaine, UNH and GSU and the rest of the league. Whether or not they can do that by adding additional members remains to be seen. At this point, there don't appear to be any viable full scholarship FCS candidates to add within a reasonable bus ride of Orono, ME, unless you consider Fordham at 7.5 and SBU at 8.5 hours away.

henfan
July 29th, 2011, 08:33 AM

Rep points for that one! Hilarious.

superman7515
July 29th, 2011, 08:38 AM
At this point, there don't appear to be any viable full scholarship FCS candidates to add within a reasonable bus ride of Orono, ME, unless you consider Fordham at 7.5 and SBU at 8.5 hours away.

Not sure if any of the NEC schools want to pick up the extra scholarships, but even if there was any interest from Central Connecticut or Sacred Heart, it's still a 5-6 hour bus ride. There just isn't anyone that close at all.

NHwildEcat
July 29th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Not sure if any of the NEC schools want to pick up the extra scholarships, but even if there was any interest from Central Connecticut or Sacred Heart, it's still a 5-6 hour bus ride. There just isn't anyone that close at all.

That is life in Maine...its a loooong ride no matter where they go. I hope they stay tough and stick it out over the next few years in the CAA until the football landscape kind of figures itself out. Would hate to lose Maine. THink of it this way for those who may not understand how far away and out in the woods they are...UNH to Maine is over 3.5 hours. And that is the closest schools

AshevilleApp2
July 29th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Sounds like penis envy for the GSU & ASU fans....

When's the first time Delaware has beaten App?

wmmii
July 29th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Y'all are forgetting VCU, who has been watching ODU with lots of interest and could start up a CAA Program sooner rather than later.

Doubtful, they are using their resources for the BB program enhancements plus have no good place to play except the old City Stadium UR just left

ThompsonThe
July 29th, 2011, 09:00 AM
No offense to the CAA, but many would rather jump off a cliff than to join the CAA for FCS football. No point in doing that unless it was an amalgamation of schools setting up an FBS conference. That is something that should be done. I know, NCAA rules, but those can be changed, or given an exception.

That one little letter change from FCS to FBS would give several schools much more money to help play this game that we love. That conference could become better than the MAC, the WAC and the Sun Belt within no time at all. Bet that within three to five years would be better than C-USA and on par with the Beast.

GSUsTALON
July 29th, 2011, 09:32 AM
I’ll admit that the CAA question is intriguing, but……
The SoCon is ranked the 2nd most powerful FCS conference by many in the sporting world & computer power rankings & that’s not a bad place to be. The SoCon has more National Championship teams than the CAA and the 3rd and 4th most powerful conferences combined. With GSU, AppSt, Woffford sitting on top, Chattanooga making good strides and hopefully a resurgence of Furman under a new coaching staff the SoCon will be plenty tough to play through. If GSU and App.St were added to the CAA we would get 3 – 4 bids max for the playoffs from as 12 team field. As it stands now the SoCon would at least get 3 bids for the playoffs from a 9 team field. At the present time I think the SoCon is still a better fit for AppSt and GSU. The SoCon will still produce a number of NC contenders and Champions.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 29th, 2011, 09:40 AM
If App. State and GSU leave the SoCon before moving to the FBS I'll spray-paint ASU and Furman logos on our yellow school buses. Not going to happen.

panama
July 29th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Best most concise post I have read yet on the whole CAA Future issue...

http://boards.caazone.com/showpost.php?p=1550538&postcount=551

Richmond (the CAA offices not the school) has nothing to do with the future of CAA football. Yeager takes his orders from the school Presidents then executes their plan. The problem with the CAA is some of the schools are expanding their football programs and the rest want status quo. Some AD's want to bring in App St. others see them as another loss and have no interest.

Georgia St. is not going FBS anytime soon. They have to be invited to a FBS conference to leave. Currently, there is no invitation for any program much less a start up one.

Every FCS school in the south and east is waiting for the BE to make a move. That is why nothing is happening in this part of the country. Meanwhile the PAC 10 expands, the Big 10 adds Nebraska, The MW adds three WAC schools and the Big 12 discusses breaking up.

The ACC and SEC seem content for now. The BE adds just one school. No division of football and basketball schools as has been predicted for over a decade now. ECU waits...Marshall waits both wanting out of the travel expense of the CUSA but having no where to go.

I want to see the CAA get rid of the northern schools who do not play football and bring in new southern partners that do. I want to see the affiliates find other conference homes in conferences that share their vision for football. HU, NU & Drexel need to find another home. Maine, UNH and UR need to do the same. So does UNCW. Bring in UNCC & App. Wait for the BE to not accept Marshall and ECU. Then bring them into the CAA and go 1A. Maybe by then, UMass and Temple will want to move out of the MAC and into the CAA. Then you have a very good Mid-Atlantic all sports conference that could stand the test of time. Right now, you have a bunch of schools not tied to each other for the long term all waiting for the next best offer.

The CAA is a very good conference. They just need to tweak their membership and bring in schools that have the same mindset. Right now, the minority is holding back the majority.

ccd494
July 29th, 2011, 12:12 PM
"I want to see the affiliates find other conference homes in conferences that share their vision for football. HU, NU & Drexel need to find another home. Maine, UNH and UR need to do the same."

Seeing as we, you know, ACTUALLY FOUNDED THE CONFERENCE, sure, why not just boot us? I don't understand where programs that haven't played a real FCS game that counts, haven't played a CAA/A-10/Yankee conference game, haven't played a playoff game, etc. get off telling us how to run our program or who to play.

Georgia State can think its **** smells like rainbows all it wants, but it has done less on the field than craptacular football programs like St. Francis at this point. You are in for a rude, rude awakening when you start actually playing football and not just talking about it. You can play in an empty dome and dream of being Georgia Tech 2.0 all you want, we're pretty happy with our conference titles and playoff games.

GSUsTALON
July 29th, 2011, 12:24 PM
"I want to see the affiliates find other conference homes in conferences that share their vision for football. HU, NU & Drexel need to find another home. Maine, UNH and UR need to do the same."

Seeing as we, you know, ACTUALLY FOUNDED THE CONFERENCE, sure, why not just boot us? I don't understand where programs that haven't played a real FCS game that counts, haven't played a CAA/A-10/Yankee conference game, haven't played a playoff game, etc. get off telling us how to run our program or who to play.

Georgia State can think its **** smells like rainbows all it wants, but it has done less on the field than craptacular football programs like St. Francis at this point. You are in for a rude, rude awakening when you start actually playing football and not just talking about it. You can play in an empty dome and dream of being Georgia Tech 2.0 all you want, we're pretty happy with our conference titles and playoff games.

ccd494
That was a pretty hard core statement against a future CAA member. Why the animosity?

NHwildEcat
July 29th, 2011, 12:36 PM
ccd494
That was a pretty hard core statement against a future CAA member. Why the animosity?

I would assume that my friend from Maine is unhappy with the GaSt. comments on this topic regarding essentially tossing out UMaine and UNH football when they are indeed founding members of the football conference! My feelings are on par with ccd494...we want to play CAA football and we are here and looking foward to beating GaSt...

VBR_Productions
July 29th, 2011, 12:36 PM

If you click on the link he supplied, you'd see that it was a James Madison fan who made that long post. Panama simply quoted it here.

andy7171
July 29th, 2011, 12:38 PM
ccd494

Uuhhh. Probabley because the GStU poster proposing kicking his school out before even playing a conference game?

dgtw
July 29th, 2011, 12:39 PM
I prefer leagues where everyone is in for all sports and not a mishmash of non-football teams, football only members and those that are all in. It just seems hard to build unity when everyone isn't on the same page.

I hate that the OVC is bringing in more non-football schools.

However, I understand Maine is in a tough spot geographically and their only other option is the NEC, which is a lesser league.

NHwildEcat
July 29th, 2011, 12:39 PM
If you click on the link he supplied, you'd see that it was a James Madison fan who made that long post. Panama simply quoted it here.

But he did bring it into play on this board...so his thoughts are in alignment with that of the JMU character.

GSUsTALON
July 29th, 2011, 12:54 PM
But he did bring it into play on this board...so his thoughts are in alignment with that of the JMU character.

The main reason that Panama doesn't want GSU and AppSt in the CAA, in the same division, is that they couldnt handle the @$$ beating that we would supply. They have an aversion to GSU, Appy and the SoCon. Sadly GSU & Appy don’t need to be in the CAA for them to be handed their lunch. I would love for GSU to meet GaSt in the playoffs but I don’t see them being able to break the CAAs top teams to do so.

WUTNDITWAA
July 29th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Furman
Citadel
Samford
Chattanooga
Wofford
Elon
Western Carolina

It think it's a great idea. Bye xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Yeah. Instead of ninth, you all could improve to seventh.

I-16Bandit
July 29th, 2011, 01:15 PM

Yep, considering he said this:

Best most concise post I have read yet on the whole CAA Future issue...

panama
July 29th, 2011, 01:51 PM
The main reason that Panama doesn't want GSU and AppSt in the CAA, in the same division, is that they couldnt handle the @$$ beating that we would supply. They have an aversion to GSU, Appy and the SoCon. Sadly GSU & Appy don’t need to be in the CAA for them to be handed their lunch. I would love for GSU to meet GaSt in the playoffs but I don’t see them being able to break the CAAs top teams to do so.

Talon put down your bullhorn. Relax. From day one I have said that my problem was that our nearest opponent in CAA Football is 8 or 9 hours away. Southern and App in the CAA actually helps us. They are far more recognizable in Atlanta and at driveable distances. I just dont seeing either wanting to move sideways rather than to FBS non-AQ.

panama
July 29th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Yep, considering he said this:

Only in that any conference needs to have all schools rowing in the same direction and the CAA doesn't have that. Eventually something has to give. Throwing out schools may be a bit over dramatic but it's not far from the truth of it. Certain schools are expanding their football programs, others are not and others will never start football so you are always going to have a conference with subgroups of polarized like interested schools. All that leads to inaction by all sides.

dgtw
July 29th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Notice the only BCS league with a bunch of non football schools and is the most spread out geographically is the Big East, which is generally regarded as the weakest of the BCS conferences.

panama
July 29th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Notice the only BCS league with a bunch of non football schools and is the most spread out geographically is the Big East, which is generally regarded as the weakest of the BCS conferences.

Bingo

ccd494
July 29th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Bingo

So what? It's apples and oranges. You are joining the undisputed strongest conference in FCS. The only words out of your mouth should be "Thank you for the opportunity!" You shouldn't be whining about membership when you are still within a year of losing to Lambuth and still have years to go before playoff eligibility. YOU are joining OUR conference. Shut up and sit down.

I-16Bandit
July 29th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Bingo

I think over half your posts on internet forums are one word posts. Example: "This!"

superman7515
July 29th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Bingo

You don't like the Big East because it's too spread out but yet you predicted Maine and UNH to the PFL?

Tribal
July 29th, 2011, 10:08 PM
GSU & ASU to the CAA is a terrible idea. This could change, but the CAA is already hyper-competitive and adding two excellent programs would only lead to 3-4 deserving programs out of the playoffs. They have to select ~4 from UNH, JMU, UD, Nova, GSU, W&M, ASU, UR, et al. 8 usually highly ranked teams but only 4 move on? Bad idea.

How's this for a CAA schedule (ASU in this case):

@ Virginia Tech (OOC-FBS)
@ Liberty (OOC)
JMU
UD
@ GSU
bye
W&M (HC)
@ Nova
UNH
ODU
@ Maine
UR

Saint3333
July 30th, 2011, 06:10 AM
They'd get a minimum of 5 teams in the playoffs in a 20 team field. The SoCon would lose one.

dgtw
July 30th, 2011, 11:54 AM
If the CAA members are happy with the setup they have then good for them. Obviously it works very well for the football side of the league. I would just prefer for all conference members to be members in all sports and not at all if they don't have football. I still don't undertsand the OVC taking on Belmont.

An all sports league would seem to build better conference unity. As for being spread out, there isn't much you can do about that when you are in Maine. My main concern there is for travel costs.

TwoFeathers
August 1st, 2011, 09:45 AM
That would be awesome, and would upp the competition in the league in replacing some NorthEast teams.

TwoFeathers
August 1st, 2011, 09:46 AM
With regard to the national playoff system, it may be better to keep the top teams spread out in different conferences, though.

ccd494
November 12th, 2012, 08:29 AM

I would just like to resurrect this thread to give my warmest wishes to Georgia State, enjoy your 83-0 drubbings at the hands of your FBS opponents.

I would also like to point out that Georgia State may have been the worst football team I have ever seen come through Orono since Iona a few years ago, and they had the good manners to STOP PLAYING FOOTBALL and embarrassing the sport every week.