PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette D-line coach to YSU

GoGuins
March 21st, 2006, 12:23 PM
No official release yet, but saw this on the YSU board

http://goleopards.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/smith_antoine00.html

Pard4Life
March 21st, 2006, 12:33 PM
Nothing of the sort mentioned on the Lafayette board. But, if it's true, it is a big loss. The defensive line has been one of the most consistent and strongest performing units on the team the past two years. Sorry to see coach Antoine go, but it is practically inevitable with the young position coaches. Best of luck at the new job.

blukeys
March 21st, 2006, 12:33 PM
If this comes about there would certainly be some irony here.:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

GoGuins
March 21st, 2006, 12:48 PM
As I said nothing official yet, but word has come from a parent who's son plays on the D-line at YSU, so inside information

colgate13
March 21st, 2006, 01:27 PM
If this comes about there would certainly be some irony here.:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Hysterical Irony indeed! xlolx

I guess if you can't beat them (for a playoff spot at least), hire them!

Pard94
March 22nd, 2006, 08:08 AM
Clearly the Mighty Penguins would never consider a lowly Lafayette College coach. That would be beneath them.:rolleyes:

GoGuins
March 22nd, 2006, 12:18 PM
Clearly the Mighty Penguins would never consider a lowly Lafayette College coach. That would be beneath them.:rolleyes:

Yea, we might as well went down to the DIII level and hired one xlolx J/K seriously glad to have him, sounds like a good one

Pards Rule
March 22nd, 2006, 03:48 PM
Is this affirmed yet??

Back2Back05
March 22nd, 2006, 04:13 PM
Insider information: already packed up and moved out.

Pards Rule
March 22nd, 2006, 04:15 PM
Alrighty then...Well, I hope he likes Youngstown (reminded me of Easton back in early 80s!)

colgate13
March 22nd, 2006, 04:38 PM
Alrighty then...Well, I hope he likes Youngstown (reminded me of Easton back in early 80s!)

You mean the current state of Easton is an improvement? : smh :

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
March 22nd, 2006, 06:21 PM

I think he will like the fact that fans actually come out to the games there when the team is not named "Lehigh"...

ngineer
March 22nd, 2006, 08:46 PM
You mean the current state of Easton is an improvement? : smh :

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Believe it or not, it has improved greatly over the past 10 years. Some excellent restaurants, a spectacular theatre that has been renovated, the Crayola Factory and National Canal Museum draw hundreds of thousands of tourists and a number of art galleries and condominium restoration of the old Hotel Easton. The influx of all the New Yorkers and Jerseyites is gradually changing the demographics. Easton's governmental operation is still a joke, but then, that's part of it's 'historic charm' anymore!:D

Pard94
March 23rd, 2006, 08:43 AM
I think he will like the fact that fans actually come out to the games there when the team is not named "Lehigh"...

You're just pissed cause so many people come out to see Lehigh get beat on an annual basis.

Pards Rule
March 23rd, 2006, 08:48 AM
Indeed it is!! Especially in my tenure there 1980-84 the Valley was going thru a transformation from the industrial to the service/distribution focus it has now. I mean I would walk thru center square and most of the stores off the square were shuttered. The joke on campus was that if not for Larry Holmes and Lafayette College presence the town would be bankrupt. It changed around my senior year as the economy moved out of the deep recession and also a factor that is overlooked: the completion of I-78 around Newark made a commute bearable and the fact a lot of companies then moved out along that completed corridor to Bridgewater area and eventually Clinton. You could have bought a nice townhouse downtown Easton in 1983 for $40K. So, yes, the current state of Easton is very much improved over what it was 25 years ago. Youngstown reminded me of Easton 25 years ago when I was there.

carney2
March 23rd, 2006, 09:17 AM
You mean the current state of Easton is an improvement?

Never thought that I would be in this position, but I am joining the folks who have jumped to the defense of Easton. It isn't the "Main Line" in PA or Beverly Hills, CA, but, as one respondent said, it has come a long way in a relatively short time. It is continuing to improve because of its location. People in the North Jersey/New York City area have been attracted by the relatively cheap housing, with I-78 providing access to their high paying jobs. The place is booming, so to speak; income levels are up; and it is no longer a rust belt city. On top of that, College Hill and the Paxinosa area near the college have always been fairly pleasant and a cut above the "old Easton" that you seem to remember, Mr. 13.

PS: I am editing here because it suddenly occurs to me that my next post will be my 250th. I really do need to get a life.

Fordham
March 23rd, 2006, 09:36 AM
1. Amazing to me that people in NYC opt for a 2+ hour commute into work EVERY DAY! I know the Poconos have had a big influx of people commuting to the Big Apple as well. Just stunning. I know that housing prices are ridiculous but from a quality of life standpoint I don't know how you rationalize the big house when you never get to see it in sunlight.

2. You'll find little sympathy from this crowd for the 'get a life' comment. Cheers to your 250th.

Pards Rule
March 23rd, 2006, 09:42 AM
Fordham, I agree! I trudge thru an hour each way when I am in office (thankfully travel 2-3 days a week usually by plane) and wonder how people can do ten minutes more!

colgate13
March 23rd, 2006, 11:37 AM
I jest about Easton people, seriously. I drive through there plenty of times, and have family just on the NJ side. They are part of those 'commute' crowd you speak of (but not all the way into NYC, just more eastern NJ).

I completely forgot about the Larry Holmes connection! I still remember the 'Larry Holmes Commodore Inn' or whatever it was, right on 22!

My only 'bad' Easton experience was this past fall as I got lost leaving the Crayola factory. I thought I knew my way around and I ended up in some of the bad sections.

But all in all, downtown easton is fine, and the surrounding areas are pretty healthy too!

Pards Rule
March 23rd, 2006, 11:46 AM
13, incidentally, I recently drove past the Commodore Inn (which most recently was a Clarion Hotel). Well, it is closed as of Nov. 4th, according to some of the newspapers I saw in the rooms (I went inside a broken down door). The place is fricking trashed! It apparently was closed abruptly over code violations. In fact, there was a sign taped to the outside of the main door advising reunion attendees of a HS reunion (I would suppose around Thanksgiving) of a change in venue to the Holiday Inn, down 22 in Bethlehem, PA.

GoGuins
March 29th, 2006, 07:33 AM
It's official now

http://www.ysu.edu/sports/

Pards Rule
March 29th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Ain't that a kicker, huh?

ngineer
March 29th, 2006, 09:47 PM
1. Amazing to me that people in NYC opt for a 2+ hour commute into work EVERY DAY! I know the Poconos have had a big influx of people commuting to the Big Apple as well. Just stunning. I know that housing prices are ridiculous but from a quality of life standpoint I don't know how you rationalize the big house when you never get to see it in sunlight.
2. You'll find little sympathy from this crowd for the 'get a life' comment. Cheers to your 250th.

You are so right. THere are tremendous problems in the school districts in the Poconos with all the NYC/NoJersey 'immigrants'--many leave their HS kids unsupervised during the week and come home on Friday. Similarly, down here in the Valley, people are commuting ridiculous distances and time.On paper, I-78 looks like a 1 hour shot to NYC from here--except it turns into a parking lot once you hit I-287 and you still have 35 miles to go.

ngineer
March 29th, 2006, 09:51 PM
13, incidentally, I recently drove past the Commodore Inn (which most recently was a Clarion Hotel). Well, it is closed as of Nov. 4th, according to some of the newspapers I saw in the rooms (I went inside a broken down door). The place is fricking trashed! It apparently was closed abruptly over code violations. In fact, there was a sign taped to the outside of the main door advising reunion attendees of a HS reunion (I would suppose around Thanksgiving) of a change in venue to the Holiday Inn, down 22 in Bethlehem, PA.

Larry Holmes sold the Commodore at least 10 years ago. His pride and joy is a nice 7 story office building that overlooks the confluence of the Delaware and Lehigh Rivers and the water falls. Larry lives out my way in Palmer Township with an indoor pool in the shape of a boxing glove, with the jacuzzi in the thumb!:cool:

Pard4Life
March 29th, 2006, 11:28 PM
I don't know why Easton is considered 'bad'. All the students think it is one of the worst inner cities in America. Uh.. get a clue. I feel comfortable, and have, riding around the city with my windows down. There are many more worse urban areas. Near me, you have East Orange, Irvington, Newark, Paterson, Orange. Easton is a reprieve compared to those places I've traversed.

Also a strong sign of Easton's recovery is the building of that golf course and pricey homes on the hill above 78 and opposite Lafayette. Frankly, they look very hideous and destroyed a wooded hillside, but they indicate something economicaly is going on around here. Nice view from up there too.

colgate13
March 30th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Near me, you have East Orange, Irvington, Newark, Paterson, Orange. Easton is a reprieve compared to those places I've traversed.
Well certainly all things are relative. How many LC students are hanging out in the Oranges? FWIW, Newark is getting better. Look at what happened to Jersey City. As long as NYC keeps booming, the Jersey side will keep improving too.

Also a strong sign of Easton's recovery is the building of that golf course and pricey homes on the hill above 78 and opposite Lafayette. Frankly, they look very hideous and destroyed a wooded hillside, but they indicate something economicaly is going on around here. Nice view from up there too.
You consider that part of Easton? I've never thought of that as Easton... I've thought of it more as a New Jersey Annexation!

Pards Rule
March 30th, 2006, 09:50 AM
13, its Easton Metro area...:) Anyway, as long as you can get the Easton Express-Times there it is Easton metro area. Seriously, Greenwich (next to P'burg) is one of the fastest growing townships in NJ, after Woolwich (Gloucester County). I never felt unsafe in Easton even in 1980-83, the dark years!

colgate13
March 30th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Seriously, Greenwich (next to P'burg) is one of the fastest growing townships in NJ,

I have family living right there...