PDA

View Full Version : Funding approved for new Fargodome turf in 2012 season

TheBisonator
July 27th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Per http://www.bisonmedia.areavoices.com (I do not know the link to the specific blog post.)

It will cost $3 million (this includes the turf, a new storage pit and a mechanized system for the turf) and only needs a rubber stamp from the Fargo City Commission. The Dome Authority approved the funding, just needs the commissioners' OK. We still do not know if the turf will be AstroTurf's PureGrass or GameDay3D.

Great news.

DJKyR0
July 27th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Yes, yes, and yes. Awesome news.

JSUBison
July 27th, 2011, 04:34 PM
The issue of naming rights has me very concerned. If you thought yellow pinwheels were bad....

TheBisonator
July 27th, 2011, 04:56 PM
The issue of naming rights has me very concerned. If you thought yellow pinwheels were bad....

Doesn't the NCAA prohibit advertising space on football fields?? I have never seen that kind of thing on a college field, and I know the NFL does not allow it. I think only the naming sponsor of the stadium is allowed to have their logo on the field in the NFL, and I think there are size restrictions. I have never seen an advertisement on an NCAA field.

Only place I see that kind of thing, where there a bunch of advertisments on the field, is in the CFL.

If someone like Scheels buys naming rights, they may be able to have "SCHEELS FIELD" in regular print, but not the font of the company logo.

Jacked_Rabbit
July 27th, 2011, 05:24 PM
As much as I hated playing on it, that old school carpet was definitely an advantage for the Bison. They were used to playing in tennis shoes, while I (and I'm sure everyone else) felt like a complete D-Bag not having spikes on... Once they get this new field turf installed, expect a lesser advantage and, in turn, more losses at home.

You heard it here first! Although it is much needed, NDSU's winning percentage in the Fargo Dome will go down once field turf is installed.

darell1976
July 27th, 2011, 05:31 PM
As much as I hated playing on it, that old school carpet was definitely an advantage for the Bison. They were used to playing in tennis shoes, while I (and I'm sure everyone else) felt like a complete D-Bag not having spikes on... Once they get this new field turf installed, expect a lesser advantage and, in turn, more losses at home.

You heard it here first! Although it is much needed, NDSU's winning percentage in the Fargo Dome will go down once field turf is installed.

Thats debateable. It has to do with the team NOT the field. NDSU always was tough at home. But its not because of what they were running on, but with 19,000 screaming fans, plus a kick @ss team they could play on ice and be tough. Trust me they are going to be as tough on the new turf as they were on the old turf or on grass.

JSUBison
July 27th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Doesn't the NCAA prohibit advertising space on football fields?? I have never seen that kind of thing on a college field, and I know the NFL does not allow it. I think only the naming sponsor of the stadium is allowed to have their logo on the field in the NFL, and I think there are size restrictions. I have never seen an advertisement on an NCAA field.

Only place I see that kind of thing, where there a bunch of advertisments on the field, is in the CFL.

If someone like Scheels buys naming rights, they may be able to have "SCHEELS FIELD" in regular print, but not the font of the company logo.

Well they allow it for bowl games. The FBS is polluted with adverts. I just don't want to see a huge "CLOVERDALE" on the 50. Nothing against Cloverdale, they have quality products. I may be swayed to support a "Land o' Lakes" or "Whale of a Wash" sponsorship for obvious reasons. xlolx

DJKyR0
July 27th, 2011, 05:40 PM

Does SDSU have an advantage playing on mud?

TheBisonator
July 27th, 2011, 05:43 PM

I thought it was a manure field...

EdubAlum
July 27th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Oregon State has advertising on their field. Granted it is "Reser Stadium", but it's the same logo as used by Reser foods (http://www.resers.com/)

http://www.framedartpictures.com/product-images/AMACAARQ-P655340.jpg

TheBisonator
July 27th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Thats debateable. It has to do with the team NOT the field. NDSU always was tough at home. But its not because of what they were running on, but with 19,000 screaming fans, plus a kick @ss team they could play on ice and be tough. Trust me they are going to be as tough on the new turf as they were on the old turf or on grass.

Oregon State has advertising on their field. Granted it is "Reser Stadium", but it's the same logo as used by Reser foods (http://www.resers.com/)

http://www.framedartpictures.com/product-images/AMACAARQ-P655340.jpg

Again though, that's the sponsor of the stadium, not just the field. The Fargodome is not planning to sell naming rights to the whole stadium right now.

Jacked_Rabbit
July 27th, 2011, 05:47 PM

I hear what you are saying, Darell, and I do agree with you. At the same time, playing at NDSU on a surface that visiting teams are familiar with is just one less thing to think about. That has to help visiting teams, even if only by a small margin.

Field turf is extremely common, and old school astroturf is not - it is as simple as that! All of NDSU's opponents play all but ONE of their games on natural grass or field turf, so you can't sit there and tell me that it isn't an advantage (although maybe a very small one) for the Bison.

Those guys lace up their Air Jordan's on Saturday afternoon like it ain't no thang... I always felt like I was about to go play some pick-up basketball prior to taking the field, which may have something to do with why I never won in the Fargo Dome! LOL!

Jacked_Rabbit
July 27th, 2011, 05:56 PM

I thought it was a manure field...

Actually, it is a Manure/Mud field before the first frost and more like an Ice Skating Rink afterwards. And, yes, I believe that is an advantage for us. Our guys are used to practicing and playing on that type of surface, while others simply aren't. If we installed field turf, I honestly believe we'd have a lesser home field advantage come October 22nd when the Bison roll into town.

I find it hard to believe that you guys disagree with me on that, but whatever.

darell1976
July 27th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Actually, it is a Manure/Mud field before the first frost and more like an Ice Skating Rink afterwards. And, yes, I believe that is an advantage for us. Our guys are used to practicing and playing on that type of surface, while others simply aren't. If we installed field turf, I honestly believe we'd have a lesser home field advantage come October 22nd when the Bison roll into town.

I find it hard to believe that you guys disagree with me on that, but whatever.

Whats the difference in astro-turf (currently in the Fargodome), and say Magic Carpet turf what the Alerus Center has? Does it have more cushion when you land? I remember playing football as a kid after a Sioux practice at Memorial Stadium in the mid to late 80's when they had astro turf put into the field and it was like landing on cement it was so damn hard.

TheBisonator
July 27th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Whats the difference in astro-turf (currently in the Fargodome), and say Magic Carpet turf what the Alerus Center has? Does it have more cushion when you land? I remember playing football as a kid after a Sioux practice at Memorial Stadium in the mid to late 80's when they had astro turf put into the field and it was like landing on cement it was so damn hard.

I think Magic Carpet is in the Fargodome too. (as of this year)

No_Skill
July 27th, 2011, 06:26 PM
I hear what you are saying, Darell, and I do agree with you. At the same time, playing at NDSU on a surface that visiting teams are familiar with is just one less thing to think about. That has to help visiting teams, even if only by a small margin.

Field turf is extremely common, and old school astroturf is not - it is as simple as that! All of NDSU's opponents play all but ONE of their games on natural grass or field turf, so you can't sit there and tell me that it isn't an advantage (although maybe a very small one) for the Bison.

Those guys lace up their Air Jordan's on Saturday afternoon like it ain't no thang... I always felt like I was about to go play some pick-up basketball prior to taking the field, which may have something to do with why I never won in the Fargo Dome! LOL!

Yeah, but the Bison don't practice in the Fargodome, so they really don't spend much time on it other than the home games. I would say the home crowd has more of an effect than the style of turf.

...cant' wait for the new turf btw.

darell1976
July 27th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Found this interesting about the Fargodome for the Bison fans upset that there are hardly anything "Bison" in the dome.

http://www.fargodome.com/inside_funfacts.php

•The FARGODOME sits on land owned by NDSU purchased for $301,000 up front and $1 per year for the land under terms of a lease which runs from January 1, 1990 to December 31, 2089.

If only NDSU had enough money to buy its own dome.

Jacked_Rabbit
July 27th, 2011, 06:40 PM
I would say the home crowd has more of an effect than the style of turf.

The home crowd, among other things, definitely yield more of an advantage than the carpet alone - there is no question about that. My only point is that the carpet is, in fact, an advantage. And, when it is no longer there, that is one less thing opponents have to think/worry about or deal with when playing on the road. Thus, it'll be slightly (I repeat, slightly) easier to win in Fargo.

The new field turn isn't just a win for NDSU's players and fans, its also a win for their opponents! I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

darell1976
July 27th, 2011, 06:44 PM
The home crowd, among other things, definitely yield more of an advantage than the carpet alone - there is no question about that. My only point is that the carpet is, in fact, an advantage. And, when it is no longer there, that is one less thing opponents have to think/worry about or deal with when playing on the road. Thus, it'll be slightly (I repeat, slightly) easier to win in Fargo.

The new field turn isn't just a win for NDSU's players and fans, its also a win for their opponents! I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

In general is it easier for grass teams to win on turf or turf teams to win on grass?

DJKyR0
July 27th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Found this interesting about the Fargodome for the Bison fans upset that there are hardly anything "Bison" in the dome.

http://www.fargodome.com/inside_funfacts.php

If only NDSU had enough money to buy its own dome.

The irony here is unbelievable.

johnson
July 27th, 2011, 07:54 PM

How do you explain the NDSU wins back when the "old school astroturf" was a common playing surface?

Jacked_Rabbit
July 27th, 2011, 08:48 PM
How do you explain the NDSU wins back when the "old school astroturf" was a common playing surface?

It's not an "all or nothing" type of deal. Back then, I'm sure their team was simply better than everyone else's for the most part...

I'm only saying that NDSU's astroturf is unique to them and gives their opponents one additional item to combat that is out of the norm. With that of the equation in the equation in the future, that is one less unique advantage they have over the visitor. Can anyone disagree with that?

UNIFanSince1983
July 27th, 2011, 09:15 PM
The original astroturf is an advantage. We had it in our dome up until a couple of years ago and it certainly helped. Putting a good team, and having a good crowd doesn't hurt either. The turf does make a difference. We hadn't lost in the Dome to SIU until we installed the new stuff (okay well we hadn't lost to them in the Dome for a long time until we installed the new stuff). It takes some getting used to. It will help having the new stuff though because you can practice on it. I know we wouldn't practice inside even on home game weeks because the old turf would tear players up too bad.

Congrats to NDSU on getting into the 21st century with us! Now if only USD would get some new turf in the DakotaDome no one in the conference would have to play on that crap.

TheBisonator
July 29th, 2011, 11:58 AM
The original astroturf is an advantage. We had it in our dome up until a couple of years ago and it certainly helped. Putting a good team, and having a good crowd doesn't hurt either. The turf does make a difference. We hadn't lost in the Dome to SIU until we installed the new stuff (okay well we hadn't lost to them in the Dome for a long time until we installed the new stuff). It takes some getting used to. It will help having the new stuff though because you can practice on it. I know we wouldn't practice inside even on home game weeks because the old turf would tear players up too bad.

Congrats to NDSU on getting into the 21st century with us! Now if only USD would get some new turf in the DakotaDome no one in the conference would have to play on that crap.

NDSU has four different practice fields. There's a 3-field grass field setup between the BSA and Bison Court Apartments, then there's the FieldTurf field (I think it's FieldTurf, or is it one of the new AstroTurf brands? It's new-gen turf, anyway) at Dacotah Field. Bison football players practice on all three types of surfaces. Grass, Old-school turf (at the Fargodome) and New-school turf. After this season, Old-school turf will be out of the equation.

frozennorth
August 1st, 2011, 02:01 AM
Didn't the bison have a lot of injuries due to the field over the years? Isn't that what they blamed the terrible 2003/2008/2009 seasons on?

DJKyR0
August 1st, 2011, 03:00 AM
Didn't the bison have a lot of injuries due to the field over the years? Isn't that what they blamed the terrible 2003/2008/2009 seasons on?

We had a lot of injuries those years period. They certainly weren't the sole causes of bad years in 08/09 (won't comment on '03), but doubtless contributed. Terrible quarterbacking and a bad defensive scheme in '09 were also to blame. Whether those injuries were in correlation to outdated turf is debatable.